Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Outsiders view 17:27 - Mar 11 with 4217 viewsBouncebackIpswich

Hi lads / ladies,

I'm a Leicester fan (in peace as they say) in fact Ipswich have been my 2nd team since late 90s.

Been tracking your results all season and got down to Portman Road last year to watch the mighty Bristol Rovers take all 3 points.....

Ipswich obviously a traditionally big team but have been slowly slipping down the football ladder for the last 15 years or so. In fact I see a lot of parallels with where Leicester were in about 12-13 years ago. It doesn't look like you're going to bounce back up now which is a damn shame.

There's a lot of debate on here, and I presume amongst most Town fans (don't know many) should the manager go, should pressure be put on the owner to sell up?

Well, from outsider's perspective, it's a no brainer to twist and not stick. Ipswich Town is fast becoming an irrelevance, there's no signs of that changing under the current regime and you have the size of club and fanbase to do so much better and if you're stuck in this league for long you'll be part of the furniture and end up like Oldham or Notts County or Swindon, not teams anyone now considers former top flight clubs but rather lower league clubs.

So I say, go for it, make your feelings known, put pressure on to make a change. Ipswich is a big club, punching below its weight and would be attractive to anyone looking to buy a club - barring those only interested in the PL clubs . Even if you don't hit the jackpot an average owner and club management team combination should have you firmly established in the league above. Would be wonderful to see Ipswich pushing for promotion to the top flight again. If Norwich City can do it then this club is more than capable.

Best of luck for the rest of the season anyway and hope things will improve at Ipswich as you all deserve better.

[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 17:28]
Outsiders view on 17:41 - Mar 11 with 4132 viewsRadlett_blue

Well, you made the right decision to fire Holloway who managed to get a reasonable squad relegated to the 3rd tier. You also lucked out with Pearson, who oddly enough relegated you by saving Southampton & he wouldn't have been on most people's short lists, let alone top of it.
If we now have to cut the wage bill after failing to bounce back as you did, I think we could be in the 3rd tier for a while whoever the manager is & the gloomy scenario you paint is very possible.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Outsiders view on 18:05 - Mar 11 with 4044 viewsclive_baker

We've long since been an irrelevance. We'll soon be rivalling Reading.

I think the debate about Lambert's future would be less clear cut if there was anything redeeming about his tenure, but frankly there hasn't been. He inherited a mess, but took us down without any real fight. While we started well this season, his insistence on rotation and his constant playing down of our chances at a time when confidence was still recovering and the squad quite clearly needed a bit of smoke blown up them was a lesson in self destruction. That's been followed by a horrendous run which stretches back to well before Christmas, and more recently firmly relegation form (bottom of the table form in the last 9 matches). There's no sense of direction and strategy, we're tactically inept, and the performances are as limp as p1ss. We truly are utterly toothless. We create nothing, score rarely and without bias I would argue we're the easiest side to play against in the league. He's bought (Vincent-Young) and sold (or moved on) relatively well, in his defence, and he's created a squad that's plenty good enough to be 15 points better off than we are at this stage, minimum. There in lies the issue though, we've spectacularly under delivered. I would wager 90% of Ipswich fans would support a decision to sack him. Nobody likes to see anyone lose their job, and he's carried himself with dignity, but it's beyond the point of repair. I like the bloke, and I really think he cares, but so do a lot of us, and we're not qualified to manage at that level either.

Interesting that Town are your 2nd side, as needless to say Leicester were everyone's second side a few years back. Delighted to see you win the Prem. I went to the Euro's just a few weeks after that with a group of mates, 2 of which are Leicester boys and big fans. Had a great time joining them in singing 'Champions of England, you'll never sing that' at some Norwich fans.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Outsiders view on 18:07 - Mar 11 with 4026 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The Charlton takeover looks to have worked out well.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Outsiders view on 18:15 - Mar 11 with 3969 viewsSwansea_Blue

Outsiders view on 18:07 - Mar 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

The Charlton takeover looks to have worked out well.

Mrs Bobbit cut off Mr Bobbit’s old fella, but that hasn’t put me off women.

Moral of the story - other owners are available.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Outsiders view on 18:39 - Mar 11 with 3886 viewsRegencyBlue

An average owner would most certainly be an improvement on what we have at the moment!
Outsiders view on 19:03 - Mar 11 with 3824 viewsFtnfwest

We’re finished really I’m afraid as far as competing any higher up than maybe lower championship is concerned and I doubt we’ll get back to even that in a hurry, but clubs like Leicester are the future of our game outside the usual top 6 and fair play to you. Norwich have done very well because they’re much better managed (I mean outside team management although that’s good as well). The team they got promoted with cost the same as ours but when you’re able to offer wages three times what we can offer even in the championship, at the end of the day it’s still money that talks.
Outsiders view on 19:16 - Mar 11 with 3763 viewsNthQldITFC

Outsiders view on 18:15 - Mar 11 by Swansea_Blue

Why did you have to bring that up? Mention of that episode makes me feel peculiar all evening.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Outsiders view on 19:28 - Mar 11 with 3705 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Outsiders view on 18:15 - Mar 11 by Swansea_Blue

Moral of the story.

Grass isn't always greener.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Outsiders view on 19:50 - Mar 11 with 3614 viewsjeera

Outsiders view on 19:16 - Mar 11 by NthQldITFC

Why did you have to bring that up? Mention of that episode makes me feel peculiar all evening.

I wish I hadn't Googled that.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Outsiders view on 19:53 - Mar 11 with 3597 viewsOxford_Blue

We never were and never should be mentioned in the same breath as Swindon and Oldham.
Outsiders view on 21:00 - Mar 11 with 3375 viewsGuthrum

Outsiders view on 18:05 - Mar 11 by clive_baker

We've long since been an irrelevance. We'll soon be rivalling Reading.

I think the debate about Lambert's future would be less clear cut if there was anything redeeming about his tenure, but frankly there hasn't been. He inherited a mess, but took us down without any real fight. While we started well this season, his insistence on rotation and his constant playing down of our chances at a time when confidence was still recovering and the squad quite clearly needed a bit of smoke blown up them was a lesson in self destruction. That's been followed by a horrendous run which stretches back to well before Christmas, and more recently firmly relegation form (bottom of the table form in the last 9 matches). There's no sense of direction and strategy, we're tactically inept, and the performances are as limp as p1ss. We truly are utterly toothless. We create nothing, score rarely and without bias I would argue we're the easiest side to play against in the league. He's bought (Vincent-Young) and sold (or moved on) relatively well, in his defence, and he's created a squad that's plenty good enough to be 15 points better off than we are at this stage, minimum. There in lies the issue though, we've spectacularly under delivered. I would wager 90% of Ipswich fans would support a decision to sack him. Nobody likes to see anyone lose their job, and he's carried himself with dignity, but it's beyond the point of repair. I like the bloke, and I really think he cares, but so do a lot of us, and we're not qualified to manage at that level either.

Interesting that Town are your 2nd side, as needless to say Leicester were everyone's second side a few years back. Delighted to see you win the Prem. I went to the Euro's just a few weeks after that with a group of mates, 2 of which are Leicester boys and big fans. Had a great time joining them in singing 'Champions of England, you'll never sing that' at some Norwich fans.

There have been good things about Lambert, but they are all fatally eroded by failure on the pitch.

The PR/feelgood/morale improving stuff was great and badly needed. But was completely destroyed by messing up our chance to get promoted straight back to the Championship and the manner in which it happened.

The transfers have mostly been pretty decent. But negated by injuries, loss of form and not being utilised in the best way (the last two perhaps being linked).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Outsiders view on 21:14 - Mar 11 with 3307 viewsDoctor_Earman

Outsiders view on 19:53 - Mar 11 by Oxford_Blue

We never were and never should be mentioned in the same breath as Swindon and Oldham.

Then wake up and see where Evans is taking us, otherwise your average football fan will indeed view ITFC as just an Oldham type club.
Outsiders view on 21:41 - Mar 11 with 3223 viewseddiespearitt03

Time for a home game boycott !!! Or a protest gathering in the fans zone at half time for the entire second half or just a total 75 minute walk out to show Evans what a club is without supporters. Evans has not offered anything to the supporters, NOTHING. He remains the usual anonymous figure that is destroying this club.
Outsiders view on 21:43 - Mar 11 with 3200 viewsOxford_Blue

Outsiders view on 21:14 - Mar 11 by Doctor_Earman

Then wake up and see where Evans is taking us, otherwise your average football fan will indeed view ITFC as just an Oldham type club.

Unquestionably the club has declined under Evans.

Whether he has caused it, I’m not so sure.
Outsiders view on 21:46 - Mar 11 with 3184 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Outsiders view on 21:43 - Mar 11 by Oxford_Blue

Unquestionably the club has declined under Evans.

Whether he has caused it, I’m not so sure.

Of course he has caused it. He has appointed the managers and overseen what they could do with his money.

Did he mean to cause it? Of course not, he wouldn't have wanted this any more than we do.

The buck stops with him. He makes all the big decisions.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Outsiders view on 21:47 - Mar 11 with 3178 viewsOxford_Blue

Outsiders view on 21:46 - Mar 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

Of course he has caused it. He has appointed the managers and overseen what they could do with his money.

Did he mean to cause it? Of course not, he wouldn't have wanted this any more than we do.

The managers caused it
Outsiders view on 21:51 - Mar 11 with 3158 viewsOxford_Blue

Outsiders view on 21:46 - Mar 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

Actually he doesn’t. The managers make the decisions about the team and strategy and coaching. All of Evans’ appointments were reasonable ones at the time in different ways. They all let him down.
Outsiders view on 21:56 - Mar 11 with 3138 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Outsiders view on 21:51 - Mar 11 by Oxford_Blue

Actually he doesn’t. The managers make the decisions about the team and strategy and coaching. All of Evans’ appointments were reasonable ones at the time in different ways. They all let him down.

I would suggest the fact they let him down means that none of them was a reasonable appointment except MM.

With hindsight, Jewell had been out of the game far too long and had a very mixed record prior to us. Lambert's record after leaving them lot has been poor. Keane only performed at Sunderland while teamed up with Sbragia. Hurst was just a dreadful choice. How much had Evans done to look into the type of character and personality he is?

The only one that worked at all was MM who he brought in with Terry Connor who had always been alongside him whenever he had achieved anything. To suggest the owner takes no responsibility for the managers he has chosen is ridiculous.

On top of that, if your argument is that they are all really good managers after all, the blame must be with something more fundamental about how the club is run. Who is responsible for that?

Outsiders view on 22:00 - Mar 11 with 3115 viewsOxford_Blue

Outsiders view on 21:56 - Mar 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

I would suggest the fact they let him down means that none of them was a reasonable appointment except MM.

With hindsight, Jewell had been out of the game far too long and had a very mixed record prior to us. Lambert's record after leaving them lot has been poor. Keane only performed at Sunderland while teamed up with Sbragia. Hurst was just a dreadful choice. How much had Evans done to look into the type of character and personality he is?

The only one that worked at all was MM who he brought in with Terry Connor who had always been alongside him whenever he had achieved anything. To suggest the owner takes no responsibility for the managers he has chosen is ridiculous.

On top of that, if your argument is that they are all really good managers after all, the blame must be with something more fundamental about how the club is run. Who is responsible for that?

As you said - with hindsight.

Reasonable managers can underperform and it’s a sport so some teams have to do less well than others.

None of Evans’ appointments were bad at the time. They all had a track record of promotions or were young managers.

This lazy blaming of the man who puts in more money than anyone ever has into the club is madness and driven by frustration at failure on the pitch by the players and coaching staff.
Outsiders view on 22:07 - Mar 11 with 3083 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Outsiders view on 22:00 - Mar 11 by Oxford_Blue

As you said - with hindsight.

Reasonable managers can underperform and it’s a sport so some teams have to do less well than others.

None of Evans’ appointments were bad at the time. They all had a track record of promotions or were young managers.

This lazy blaming of the man who puts in more money than anyone ever has into the club is madness and driven by frustration at failure on the pitch by the players and coaching staff.

I have literally just pointed out why it should have been predictable that 4 out of 5 would fail. Evans had the opportunity and chose badly. Yes, it is with hindsight we can see it but it is the owner's job to do the thorough research prior to appointing.

It is a sport where some teams will do better than others. However, we are not really bemoaning failure to win the Premier League. We are not bemoaning failure to compete in the Championship. We didn't particular bemoan failure to put up a fight to stay in the Championship. What is not acceptable is failure to at least compete at this level. Currently our club is on a race to League 2. That has been our form over more than 20 matches. That is not due to bad luck.

I am not lazily blaming Evans at all. I pity the man (which is strange when he is far richer than I could ever imagine). He does not want this any more than me I am sure. However, he HAS to take responsibility. I would be amazed if he didn't say so himself if pushed to answer the question.

Outsiders view on 23:02 - Mar 11 with 2955 viewsBouncebackIpswich

Outsiders view on 19:53 - Mar 11 by Oxford_Blue

I'm not being cruel but it's the reality given the trajectory Town are on.

Hope something will get shaken up sooner rather than later.
Outsiders view on 00:16 - Mar 12 with 2894 viewsDoctor_Earman

Outsiders view on 23:02 - Mar 11 by BouncebackIpswich

I'm not being cruel but it's the reality given the trajectory Town are on.

Hope something will get shaken up sooner rather than later.

Thank you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024