Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK's new field hospitals 20:27 - Apr 15 with 1705 viewsTommyparker

There are now doubts about how much the UK's sites will be needed.
The biggest, in London, has space for 4,000 patients but has taken only a few dozen so far.
At a site in Birmingham there are currently no patients or staff, with local hospitals so far not having requested help. Another in the north-east of England may never need to open.
And now NHS bosses are reporting that local hospitals should be able to cope with an expected peak.
These numbers help paint a picture of the situation:
About 19,00 patients being treated for cornonavirus in UK hospitals

More than 30,000 beds had been freed in advance by cancelling non-emergency treatment.

The number of intensive-care beds has been doubled to nearly 10,000.

More than 2,000 of them are still available

NHS has paid for space in private-sector hospitals, including 8,000 beds.
UK's new field hospitals on 20:30 - Apr 15 with 1343 viewsjeera

Good, the lock-down is taking effect.

I would be cautious about us crowing too soon though.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

UK's new field hospitals on 20:32 - Apr 15 with 1327 viewsSwansea_Blue

I suppose they’ve had to act, and if they weren’t they’d get rightly hammered. The London one isn’t (wasn’t?) anywhere near 4,000 though. I can’t remember what initial capacity was, but it was a mere fraction of the eventual end goal of 4,000. Not that that changes much.

If we had more spare capacity built in to the system none of this would be necessary of course. That’s probably one on the key lessons: there’s a limit to efficiency savings before you start storing up problems.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

UK's new field hospitals on 20:32 - Apr 15 with 1327 viewsBlueBadger

AS my medical director said on Saturday night 'I'd rather be mocked for preparing too much, than facing an investigation for not doing enough'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

UK's new field hospitals on 20:33 - Apr 15 with 1322 viewsSteve_M

That's a good thing as it means intensive care facilities haven't been totally overwhelmed yet. Were the new hospitals full then deaths would be far higher.

There's much to criticise about the UK government's approach but the rapid construction of additional hospitals is a real achievement.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

UK's new field hospitals on 20:36 - Apr 15 with 1297 viewsElderGrizzly

UK's new field hospitals on 20:32 - Apr 15 by BlueBadger

AS my medical director said on Saturday night 'I'd rather be mocked for preparing too much, than facing an investigation for not doing enough'.

Absolutely. This is the one time that the Government building white elephants is a good thing
UK's new field hospitals on 20:40 - Apr 15 with 1282 viewsTIB

Spot on.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

UK's new field hospitals on 20:42 - Apr 15 with 1280 viewsBlueBadger

UK's new field hospitals on 20:33 - Apr 15 by Steve_M

That's a good thing as it means intensive care facilities haven't been totally overwhelmed yet. Were the new hospitals full then deaths would be far higher.

There's much to criticise about the UK government's approach but the rapid construction of additional hospitals is a real achievement.

The real achievement so far is the fact that ITUs are coping. Certainly at local level here, it's busy but manageable - a lot of it is down to early intervention, planning and establishing of ceilings of care - a concept that is largely unknown in the Italian system and a factor in why they became overwhelmed. On top of that, GP's and care homes are doing an awful lot of the secondary care sector's dirty work. I've heard of more than one GP going out to a family or care home and essentially saying 'YEs, we can send them to hospital, but they will probably die there and die alone. What do you think they would prefer?'

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

UK's new field hospitals on 20:44 - Apr 15 with 1271 viewsLord_Lucan

UK's new field hospitals on 20:36 - Apr 15 by ElderGrizzly

Absolutely. This is the one time that the Government building white elephants is a good thing

It's not a white elephant yet either. We have to deal with more lockdown exercises and the virus could possibly turn a bit more viscous.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

UK's new field hospitals on 20:49 - Apr 15 with 1248 viewsBlueBadger

UK's new field hospitals on 20:44 - Apr 15 by Lord_Lucan

It's not a white elephant yet either. We have to deal with more lockdown exercises and the virus could possibly turn a bit more viscous.

At least if it gets more viscous it'll slow down a bit...

UK's new field hospitals on 20:51 - Apr 15 with 1239 viewsElderGrizzly

UK's new field hospitals on 20:44 - Apr 15 by Lord_Lucan

Yes I agree. My comment was in the context that it isn’t used at the scale anticipated.
UK's new field hospitals on 20:56 - Apr 15 with 1214 viewsLord_Lucan

UK's new field hospitals on 20:49 - Apr 15 by BlueBadger

At least if it gets more viscous it'll slow down a bit...

Why is that (yes I am thick)

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

UK's new field hospitals on 21:00 - Apr 15 with 1203 viewsBlueBadger

UK's new field hospitals on 20:56 - Apr 15 by Lord_Lucan

Why is that (yes I am thick)

I'm not sure I can, it's quite a sticky problem....

UK's new field hospitals on 21:03 - Apr 15 with 1190 viewsfactual_blue

Was that before or after he (or she) said 'Get some bloody work done for once, Bluebadger'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

UK's new field hospitals on 21:07 - Apr 15 with 1177 viewsLord_Lucan

UK's new field hospitals on 21:00 - Apr 15 by BlueBadger

I'm not sure I can, it's quite a sticky problem....

I told you I was thick - although in my defence it was automated text

UK's new field hospitals on 21:16 - Apr 15 with 1153 viewsBlueBadger

UK's new field hospitals on 21:03 - Apr 15 by factual_blue

Was that before or after he (or she) said 'Get some bloody work done for once, Bluebadger'.

I am presently Untouchable, thanks to Mrs Badger supplying some high quality baked products to the Trust.

UK's new field hospitals on 21:32 - Apr 15 with 1104 viewsfactual_blue

UK's new field hospitals on 21:16 - Apr 15 by BlueBadger

I am presently Untouchable, thanks to Mrs Badger supplying some high quality baked products to the Trust.

These?

UK's new field hospitals on 21:35 - Apr 15 with 1104 viewsfactual_blue

UK's new field hospitals on 20:42 - Apr 15 by BlueBadger

The real achievement so far is the fact that ITUs are coping. Certainly at local level here, it's busy but manageable - a lot of it is down to early intervention, planning and establishing of ceilings of care - a concept that is largely unknown in the Italian system and a factor in why they became overwhelmed. On top of that, GP's and care homes are doing an awful lot of the secondary care sector's dirty work. I've heard of more than one GP going out to a family or care home and essentially saying 'YEs, we can send them to hospital, but they will probably die there and die alone. What do you think they would prefer?'

1. The taxpayers' alliance will be outraged anyway.

2. Presumably When This Is All Over A&E depts across the country will quickly fill up again with stupid people with a small bruise on their little fingers?

UK's new field hospitals on 21:43 - Apr 15 with 1085 viewsBlueBadger

UK's new field hospitals on 21:35 - Apr 15 by factual_blue

1. The taxpayers' alliance will be outraged anyway.

2. Presumably When This Is All Over A&E depts across the country will quickly fill up again with stupid people with a small bruise on their little fingers?

I'm sure that a competent and supportive government will recognise the need for better, more joined-up care and the value of overseas workers..

UK's new field hospitals on 21:43 - Apr 15 with 1082 viewsfactual_blue

UK's new field hospitals on 21:07 - Apr 15 by Lord_Lucan

I told you I was thick - although in my defence it was automated text

Thick, maybe viscous?

UK's new field hospitals on 21:44 - Apr 15 with 1089 viewsfactual_blue

UK's new field hospitals on 21:43 - Apr 15 by BlueBadger

I'm sure that a competent and supportive government will recognise the need for better, more joined-up care and the value of overseas workers..

...and when Sir Keir takes over, that's what we'll have.

UK's new field hospitals on 22:00 - Apr 15 with 1053 viewsmonytowbray

UK's new field hospitals on 20:33 - Apr 15 by Steve_M

They did nail that I will hand it to them.

Doesn’t fit into my narrative though according to some so no one saw me say that ;)

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

UK's new field hospitals on 22:06 - Apr 15 with 1040 viewsLord_Lucan

UK's new field hospitals on 21:44 - Apr 15 by factual_blue

...and when Sir Keir takes over, that's what we'll have.

He's playing a brilliant game at the moment. He is coming across and saying that he refuses to criticise the government in this hour of need but when it's all over he will let rip.

He is an absolute clone of Tony Blair.

Well thought out.

UK's new field hospitals on 22:12 - Apr 15 with 1021 viewsbluelagos

As a vocal critic of the slow initial response to the virus, I'll be delighted if these prove to be unnecessary.

The virus will sadly kill many, the thought of an over run NHS with rationing of treatment and survivable patients being left to die doesnt bare thinking about.

We are not out of the woods but fingers crossed we are on the right path.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

UK's new field hospitals on 22:16 - Apr 15 with 1008 viewsBlueBadger

UK's new field hospitals on 22:12 - Apr 15 by bluelagos

As a vocal critic of the slow initial response to the virus, I'll be delighted if these prove to be unnecessary.

The virus will sadly kill many, the thought of an over run NHS with rationing of treatment and survivable patients being left to die doesnt bare thinking about.

We are not out of the woods but fingers crossed we are on the right path.

UK's new field hospitals by BlueBadger 15 Apr 2020 20:42

UK's new field hospitals on 22:26 - Apr 15 with 985 viewsJ2BLUE

Good. Credit to the government, engineers, armed forces etc who got those facilities built. Massive credit to the NHS staff whose work is keeping them empty.

The OP was strange. You often post stat posts with no commentary. What is your opinion?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024