Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Race Across the World winners "cheated"? **SPOILER ALERT** 14:56 - Apr 27 with 6348 viewsEpiphone

I've really enjoyed this TV series and the winners seem lovely ,especially pledging to give away most of the prize money to good causes.

However, I had slight reservations about the way Emon and Jamiul traded their Ipods with the driver to make up the cost of their final taxi ride. I think the makers of the show need to clarify the rules for future series, otherwise what's to stop the competitors taking jewellery or other high value small items to "trade" making a mockery of the supposed budget?

Anyone else feel the same?
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 15:37]
Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 14:59 - Apr 27 with 4818 viewsWeWereZombies

I still have it all to watch off the iPlayer so a 'SPOILER ALERT' would have been appreciated...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:05 - Apr 27 with 4772 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Watched it more for the stunning locations tbh.
Simon Reeves Mediterranean was on again before the race thingy. Well worth a look in my humble opinion.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:16 - Apr 27 with 4759 viewsMattinLondon

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 14:59 - Apr 27 by WeWereZombies

I still have it all to watch off the iPlayer so a 'SPOILER ALERT' would have been appreciated...

It’s quite clear in the title what the subject matter would have been so maybe you shouldn’t have opened the thread.
Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:22 - Apr 27 with 4732 viewsWeWereZombies

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:16 - Apr 27 by MattinLondon

It’s quite clear in the title what the subject matter would have been so maybe you shouldn’t have opened the thread.

Good point, well made

Except that you can see half of the opening sentence to the post as you scroll up and down the list of threads...

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:27 - Apr 27 with 4712 viewsgordon

Agreed, but I thought they had a bit more nous anyway - dropping their bags off before that final dash was also key (assuming it really was as close as the program made out).
Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:28 - Apr 27 with 4712 viewsRobTheMonk

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:05 - Apr 27 by StochesStotasBlewe

Watched it more for the stunning locations tbh.
Simon Reeves Mediterranean was on again before the race thingy. Well worth a look in my humble opinion.

The old olive farmer was so sad.
Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:29 - Apr 27 with 4705 viewsParsley

Probably one of those where they'll have to change the rules next time to stop people exploiting it. I don't begrudge them the victory though especially how they've chosen to spend the winnings.

Wonder where the next series will be now they've done europe-asia and central-south america? Africa perhaps?
Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:33 - Apr 27 with 4692 viewsfactual_blue

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:27 - Apr 27 by gordon

Agreed, but I thought they had a bit more nous anyway - dropping their bags off before that final dash was also key (assuming it really was as close as the program made out).

Like all these programmes, it's 'enhanced reality. The strangely prophetic interviews intercut with the narrative are almost certainly filmed after the events they seem to predict.

Whilst the programme does show a great deal of kindness by strangers, you also can't help think about the way a camera affects the behaviour of those they encounter.

Of the three remaining couples, I think the winners were the better people. That married couple were pretty dreadful throughout. It was disappointing that the mum and troubled son had to drop out.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:35 - Apr 27 with 4679 viewsStokieBlue

I did think it was a bit cheeky but then I guess it can just be said to be cunning. They also donated half the winnings to charity.

The other two should have won though. If they had just taken the wad of cash to the taxi driver at the first bust station he would have given in and took them all the way for that given there was hardly any tourist trade at that time. They weren't far off in money terms.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:35 - Apr 27 with 4673 viewsEpiphone

Sozz, edited to take account of your comments.
Race Across the World winners "cheated"? **SPOILER ALERT** on 15:36 - Apr 27 with 4655 viewsWeWereZombies

Ah, thanks. Will make sure that I don't open the thread now.

Given the current situation.... on 15:37 - Apr 27 with 4653 viewsBloots

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:29 - Apr 27 by Parsley

Probably one of those where they'll have to change the rules next time to stop people exploiting it. I don't begrudge them the victory though especially how they've chosen to spend the winnings.

Wonder where the next series will be now they've done europe-asia and central-south america? Africa perhaps?

….I expect it'll be a weekend trip round the Isle of Wight.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Race Across the World winners on 15:40 - Apr 27 with 4631 viewsEpiphone

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? **SPOILER ALERT** on 15:36 - Apr 27 by WeWereZombies

Ah, thanks. Will make sure that I don't open the thread now.

I made a mistake, I corrected it and apologised, what more do you want, a banana?! ;)
Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:41 - Apr 27 with 4625 viewsSwansea_Blue

You won't believe it when they do the big reveal and it turns out the phantom ghost was really Mr Wilson, the school janitor. He'd have gotten away with it too if wasn't for those pesky kids.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:44 - Apr 27 with 4618 viewsIpswichKnight

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:33 - Apr 27 by factual_blue

Like all these programmes, it's 'enhanced reality. The strangely prophetic interviews intercut with the narrative are almost certainly filmed after the events they seem to predict.

Whilst the programme does show a great deal of kindness by strangers, you also can't help think about the way a camera affects the behaviour of those they encounter.

Of the three remaining couples, I think the winners were the better people. That married couple were pretty dreadful throughout. It was disappointing that the mum and troubled son had to drop out.

The bloke in the married couple had the patience of a saint, my wife was screaming at the telly at some points to just slap the spoilt brat of a wife. I know someone who knows them as well I'm going to find out if the wife is really that annoying and spoilt.

Wife and I thought long and hard about applying for the next one of these but decided we wouldn't get in, mainly as she can't take 60+ days off work and I suspect they wouldn't like someone who has worked for one of the biggest travel agencies in the world to take part.
Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:45 - Apr 27 with 4605 viewsgordon

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:35 - Apr 27 by StokieBlue

I did think it was a bit cheeky but then I guess it can just be said to be cunning. They also donated half the winnings to charity.

The other two should have won though. If they had just taken the wad of cash to the taxi driver at the first bust station he would have given in and took them all the way for that given there was hardly any tourist trade at that time. They weren't far off in money terms.

SB

Yup, Jen and Rob's great strength was their boring, plodding methodical approach, albeit with a few crackpot tantrums along the way. But at that moment they needed to get out their comfort zone and hustle for the win, and they couldn't do it.
Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:49 - Apr 27 with 4591 viewsEpiphone

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:45 - Apr 27 by gordon

Yup, Jen and Rob's great strength was their boring, plodding methodical approach, albeit with a few crackpot tantrums along the way. But at that moment they needed to get out their comfort zone and hustle for the win, and they couldn't do it.

On the last leg if they'd jumped out of the coach each time it stopped and hustled a taxi driver until one was prepared to take their money they'd have walked it, as others have said though she came across as a total 'mare.
Race Across the World winners on 15:52 - Apr 27 with 4588 viewseireblue

Race Across the World winners on 15:40 - Apr 27 by Epiphone

I made a mistake, I corrected it and apologised, what more do you want, a banana?! ;)

Well, I haven’t heard of this show, and was rather hoping for a thread on automotive spoiler innovations, that provide unfair advantages in car based races

Imagine my disappointment.

I really think you should be more careful.
Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:59 - Apr 27 with 4567 viewsgordon

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:49 - Apr 27 by Epiphone

On the last leg if they'd jumped out of the coach each time it stopped and hustled a taxi driver until one was prepared to take their money they'd have walked it, as others have said though she came across as a total 'mare.

I think all those tantrums along the way were fuelled by frustration born of a latent knowledge that people like them never win that sort of thing, whatever they do.
Race Across the World winners on 16:50 - Apr 27 with 4498 viewsEpiphone

Race Across the World winners on 15:52 - Apr 27 by eireblue

Well, I haven’t heard of this show, and was rather hoping for a thread on automotive spoiler innovations, that provide unfair advantages in car based races

Imagine my disappointment.

I really think you should be more careful.

You can have a banana too!
Race Across the World winners on 16:50 - Apr 27 with 4501 viewsBarcaBlue

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:44 - Apr 27 by IpswichKnight

The bloke in the married couple had the patience of a saint, my wife was screaming at the telly at some points to just slap the spoilt brat of a wife. I know someone who knows them as well I'm going to find out if the wife is really that annoying and spoilt.

Wife and I thought long and hard about applying for the next one of these but decided we wouldn't get in, mainly as she can't take 60+ days off work and I suspect they wouldn't like someone who has worked for one of the biggest travel agencies in the world to take part.

Maybe harsh but seeing her I couldn't get this fine lady out of my mind every time she appeared

[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 16:52]
Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 17:41 - Apr 27 with 4460 viewsfactual_blue

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:44 - Apr 27 by IpswichKnight

Does your wife by any chance cross all the 't's, dot all the 'i's, and put 'u' in the middle?

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 17:51 - Apr 27 with 4444 viewsfactual_blue

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:28 - Apr 27 by RobTheMonk

The old olive farmer was so sad.

...and the Ndrangheta are a bunch of tossers.

But I wouldn't tell them that to their faces.

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 17:52 - Apr 27 with 4444 viewsBLUEBEAT

Race Across the World winners "cheated"? on 15:33 - Apr 27 by factual_blue

I don’t think the final race to the summit was that close, to be honest.

Both couples obviously had to keep stopping to let the camera operators get in front to document their ascents.

Poll: W or W

Given the current situation.... on 18:35 - Apr 27 with 4399 viewsfactual_blue

Given the current situation.... on 15:37 - Apr 27 by Bloots

….I expect it'll be a weekend trip round the Isle of Wight.

Second prize, a week's trip round the Isle of Wight.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024