Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jofra's comments this morning 09:44 - Jul 22 with 999 viewssparks

Feels a bit "poor me". He didnt make an "error of judgment" he made a choce to do something he knew he wasn't supposed to. Not really impressed with him coming out and making out that people are out to get him (which is the vibe I get off the comments).

In the event that any comments made to him were racist- that is another matter and he should refer it to the police, but that doesnt seem to be his main concern. He is complaining that people comment when he doesnt bowl fast. Well yes Jofra- when Broad is left out for you, and you are the third fastest bowler in the attack, people will ask questions of a fast bowler...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Jofra's comments this morning on 09:48 - Jul 22 with 964 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

So he's not allowed to feel a bit down that racist comments have followed him doing something that he shouldn't have done?

There's no justification for the abuse he is suffered and he's allowed to be upset by them. He's also right to call out the media circus.

He wasn't permitted to drive to Hove. He knew it. He broke the rules. It was stupid. As a result he knew he would be punished, which he has and he also knew there would be a media circus as a result.

However, that doesn't mean the media circus should even be a thing. He knew it would be so my sympathy there is diminished, but the fact reporters are outside his house for days clicking cameras the second he steps out is vile and part of the ridiculous need for the media to make everyone a hero or a villain.

As he said, he's not committed a criminal offence. He broke a cricket teams protocol and has been punished. The very people hounding him in packs are more of a thread to spreading the virus that he is but they will be the same people who tear him to shreds in the papers and make him a target of the inevitable, moronic racist abuse.

His comments about the speed of his bowling clearly arise from that. If he has one bad game, one bad delivery, makes one mistake on the field, then he will be made to be incompetent on the back pages of papers read by millions. That's part of his issue clearly. That bit I think sadly comes with the territory of being a professional sportsman, like all the praise last year when we won the World Cup.

Him being stupid and breaking rules and the vile abuse that follows are separate issues.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 9:50]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Jofra's comments this morning on 09:53 - Jul 22 with 949 viewsJakeITFC

People undoubtedly are out to get him though, and there are racial undertones to it - the Liew/Agnew spat from the days when Archer first became eligible (of how he may disrupt the dressing room with his attitude etc.) the most high profile example of that, and I don't think it's too wide of the mark to say his performances are given higher scrutiny than others (after all he's only played 8 tests!).

The pace point is an interesting one - I imagine Archer knows his body better than anyone and isn't deliberately bowling within himself. Think he suffers from his ambling run-up giving people the impression that he could try harder or bowl faster at will - and then you're falling into another trope.
Jofra's comments this morning on 09:54 - Jul 22 with 941 viewsdavblue

He made a mistake which he's been punished for but he's right about all the other stuff and it happens to all our sportsmen.
Jofra's comments this morning on 09:55 - Jul 22 with 941 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Jofra's comments this morning on 09:53 - Jul 22 by JakeITFC

People undoubtedly are out to get him though, and there are racial undertones to it - the Liew/Agnew spat from the days when Archer first became eligible (of how he may disrupt the dressing room with his attitude etc.) the most high profile example of that, and I don't think it's too wide of the mark to say his performances are given higher scrutiny than others (after all he's only played 8 tests!).

The pace point is an interesting one - I imagine Archer knows his body better than anyone and isn't deliberately bowling within himself. Think he suffers from his ambling run-up giving people the impression that he could try harder or bowl faster at will - and then you're falling into another trope.

Ah yes. That one. Anyone not running around at 100 mph is 'lazy'.

Particularly funny these days when footballers get called lazy for having a more relaxed style and the data shows they've covered 12k during the match. Very lazy!
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 9:56]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Jofra's comments this morning on 09:59 - Jul 22 with 882 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The definition of error of judgement is ‘a bad decision’ - so what you are saying he has done is quite literally within that definition

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:04 - Jul 22 with 864 viewsITFC_Forever

The ECB didn't help the situation by allowing the players to drive themselves from Southampton to Manchester and give players to make a bad choice / break the rules (call it what you like).

And if you have 30-50 or so cars travelling from Southampton to Manchester, you have all these cars stopping for the loo / coffee / sandwich etc at numerous service stations and again breaking the bio-secure bubble.

Why on earth didn't they just lay on a coach or two?

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:15 - Jul 22 with 841 viewsSaleAway

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:04 - Jul 22 by ITFC_Forever

The ECB didn't help the situation by allowing the players to drive themselves from Southampton to Manchester and give players to make a bad choice / break the rules (call it what you like).

And if you have 30-50 or so cars travelling from Southampton to Manchester, you have all these cars stopping for the loo / coffee / sandwich etc at numerous service stations and again breaking the bio-secure bubble.

Why on earth didn't they just lay on a coach or two?

They addressed that during the test. Apparently, the scientists reckoned it was better for people to be in their own cars, than cooped up in a small coach with many other people for hours. Given the general advice for not squeezing lots of people into enclosed spaces, I can see that that makes sense.

I think you've got to be digging pretty hard to find any way that this isn't Jofra's fault. That said, he made a mistake, and he's been punished for it. Slate should be clean, and he goes again.

it should also be noted that " the cameras clicking when he goes to train" aren't outside his house - they're at Old Trafford. Following a cricket match. Like it or not - life in the bubble is a story, as its so new, and Jofra made himself a bigger part of the story, by not being able to follow simple instructions.

Any racist abuse is wrong, absolutely and totally. But I don't think he can complain about people being disappointed in the choices that he made in this case.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:24 - Jul 22 with 807 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:15 - Jul 22 by SaleAway

They addressed that during the test. Apparently, the scientists reckoned it was better for people to be in their own cars, than cooped up in a small coach with many other people for hours. Given the general advice for not squeezing lots of people into enclosed spaces, I can see that that makes sense.

I think you've got to be digging pretty hard to find any way that this isn't Jofra's fault. That said, he made a mistake, and he's been punished for it. Slate should be clean, and he goes again.

it should also be noted that " the cameras clicking when he goes to train" aren't outside his house - they're at Old Trafford. Following a cricket match. Like it or not - life in the bubble is a story, as its so new, and Jofra made himself a bigger part of the story, by not being able to follow simple instructions.

Any racist abuse is wrong, absolutely and totally. But I don't think he can complain about people being disappointed in the choices that he made in this case.

Re your second paragraph I couldn’t agree more. I actually think the ECB have handled it very well - acted very swiftly and decisively with a punishment that was meaningful without being OTT

As for the other part of your post I read Archers comments differently - seemed to me he was acknowledging that he understands he is in the spotlight
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 10:24]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:33 - Jul 22 with 758 viewsHerbivore

Jofra's comments this morning on 09:59 - Jul 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The definition of error of judgement is ‘a bad decision’ - so what you are saying he has done is quite literally within that definition

Yeah, I found that odd. Making a bad decision is pretty much a synonym of making an error of judgement. He's not saying he didn't know or that it was an accident. Compare how he's apologised and taken his punishment with grace to how some other public figures have responded to similar breaches of their own guidance and I see little room for criticism of Jofra here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:34 - Jul 22 with 759 viewssparks

Jofra's comments this morning on 09:48 - Jul 22 by WarkTheWarkITFC

So he's not allowed to feel a bit down that racist comments have followed him doing something that he shouldn't have done?

There's no justification for the abuse he is suffered and he's allowed to be upset by them. He's also right to call out the media circus.

He wasn't permitted to drive to Hove. He knew it. He broke the rules. It was stupid. As a result he knew he would be punished, which he has and he also knew there would be a media circus as a result.

However, that doesn't mean the media circus should even be a thing. He knew it would be so my sympathy there is diminished, but the fact reporters are outside his house for days clicking cameras the second he steps out is vile and part of the ridiculous need for the media to make everyone a hero or a villain.

As he said, he's not committed a criminal offence. He broke a cricket teams protocol and has been punished. The very people hounding him in packs are more of a thread to spreading the virus that he is but they will be the same people who tear him to shreds in the papers and make him a target of the inevitable, moronic racist abuse.

His comments about the speed of his bowling clearly arise from that. If he has one bad game, one bad delivery, makes one mistake on the field, then he will be made to be incompetent on the back pages of papers read by millions. That's part of his issue clearly. That bit I think sadly comes with the territory of being a professional sportsman, like all the praise last year when we won the World Cup.

Him being stupid and breaking rules and the vile abuse that follows are separate issues.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 9:50]

"
So he's not allowed to feel a bit down that racist comments have followed him doing something that he shouldn't have done? "

That is SO clearly not what I said.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:36 - Jul 22 with 748 viewssparks

Jofra's comments this morning on 09:55 - Jul 22 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Ah yes. That one. Anyone not running around at 100 mph is 'lazy'.

Particularly funny these days when footballers get called lazy for having a more relaxed style and the data shows they've covered 12k during the match. Very lazy!
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 9:56]

Possibly the worst analogy used on TWTD this year.

The whole point of a fast bowler, is that they are fast. It has nothing to do with laziness or anything else. A fast bowler, who is not bowling at anything like the speeds that he got noticed and initially selected for, is quite reasonably going to face comment on that.

If Mark Wood was bowling at 85mph and rarely much more, he wouldnt get picked.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 10:37]

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:36 - Jul 22 with 736 viewssparks

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:15 - Jul 22 by SaleAway

Absolutely - the point is, he should (save for the alleged racist abuse) be putting his hands up and accepting the criticism- and getting on with it.

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:39 - Jul 22 with 722 viewsSwansea_Blue

I've never forgiven him for how he mistreated Sansa

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:47 - Jul 22 with 689 viewsSteve_M

Although there is also this:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:49 - Jul 22 with 662 viewssparks

Jofra's comments this morning on 10:47 - Jul 22 by Steve_M

Although there is also this:

That looks pretty pathetic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024