Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment 16:29 - Dec 10 with 1487 viewsclive_baker

Is it’s essentially ME inadvertently admitting that we’ve been lead by t0ss since, relative to who we had in charge a few years ago.

Poor old Lambo. Imagine your boss saying that publicly at work, ‘well you all wanted John out of finance, now look at us, we’ve got this chopper Clive instead’.

Cheers then.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 16:31 - Dec 10 with 1456 viewsJ2BLUE

I took it more as a shot at Hurst.

We might have (generally) been fairly positive when Lambert came in but we didn't choose to give him a five year deal. I've never seen this forum so united in stunned disbelief as that day.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 17:12 - Dec 10 with 1362 viewsclive_baker

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 16:31 - Dec 10 by J2BLUE

We might have (generally) been fairly positive when Lambert came in but we didn't choose to give him a five year deal. I've never seen this forum so united in stunned disbelief as that day.

Probably is more a shot at Hurst, but this is the thing, we fans didn’t choose to appoint Hurst, we didn’t sanction the sales of our best players, we didn’t sanction replacing them with largely unproven lower league punts at inflated prices, we didn’t sack Hurst a few months later, we didn’t express, to my knowledge, any strong preference for Lambert and we sure as hell didn’t agree with his 5 year extension.

It’s all on ME.

I agree it’s more a dig at PH I’m sure but still doesn’t reflect well on Lambert. If ME saw him as a step up it would be a strange comment, although perhaps legitimate in terms of league status, but let’s not forget who took us down with a whimper.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 17:19 - Dec 10 with 1329 viewsJakeITFC

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 16:31 - Dec 10 by J2BLUE

Still the weirdest thing to have happened in 2020.
The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 17:21 - Dec 10 with 1319 viewsfooters

Problem with that being the fans didn't appoint Hurst or sanction the sale of all our top players. But aside from that he's spot on with the dig.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 17:22 - Dec 10 with 1319 viewsPinewoodblue

Think Marcus was identifying that we should be careful what we wish for as his next appointment as Manager could be worse than those he has appointed previously.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 17:24 - Dec 10 with 1300 viewsBlueBadger

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 17:22 - Dec 10 by Pinewoodblue

Think Marcus was identifying that we should be careful what we wish for as his next appointment as Manager could be worse than those he has appointed previously.

I'm struggling to see how.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 17:41 - Dec 10 with 1260 viewsflettonblue

Bcwywf - I could make even worse decisions in the future than I ve already made ? (Though I struggle to see how)
The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 18:11 - Dec 10 with 1193 viewsDarth_Koont

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 17:12 - Dec 10 by clive_baker

Probably is more a shot at Hurst, but this is the thing, we fans didn’t choose to appoint Hurst, we didn’t sanction the sales of our best players, we didn’t sanction replacing them with largely unproven lower league punts at inflated prices, we didn’t sack Hurst a few months later, we didn’t express, to my knowledge, any strong preference for Lambert and we sure as hell didn’t agree with his 5 year extension.

It’s all on ME.

I agree it’s more a dig at PH I’m sure but still doesn’t reflect well on Lambert. If ME saw him as a step up it would be a strange comment, although perhaps legitimate in terms of league status, but let’s not forget who took us down with a whimper.

Agreed. And given the 2-3 years of tight finances and pretty shrewd squad management we’d worked hard for before that, it was remarkable that Evans let Hurst dismantle pretty much all of that in a matter of weeks.

That summer wasted millions and effectively wasted a minimum of 5 years (possibly more) given we’ll still be behind where we were even if we limp up this year.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 18:16 - Dec 10 with 1162 viewsRadlett_blue

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 18:11 - Dec 10 by Darth_Koont

Agreed. And given the 2-3 years of tight finances and pretty shrewd squad management we’d worked hard for before that, it was remarkable that Evans let Hurst dismantle pretty much all of that in a matter of weeks.

That summer wasted millions and effectively wasted a minimum of 5 years (possibly more) given we’ll still be behind where we were even if we limp up this year.

Hurst was given some of Town's proceeds from selling Webster & Waghorn, which he wasted by over-paying for very average League 1 players. Evans wasn't going to second guess Hurst's choices & the fees & wages for his signings must have been to his liking. It was Hurst's fault that he wasted money on poor players; Evans was doing what he does in backing his manager's judgement. Unfortunately, such a poor bunch of signings is largely why the club is where it is now.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 18:18 - Dec 10 with 1159 viewsmonty_radio

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 17:12 - Dec 10 by clive_baker

It’s all on ME.

Was there even a whimper?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 18:19 - Dec 10 with 1155 viewsDubtractor

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 18:18 - Dec 10 by monty_radio

Was there even a whimper?

Not sure there was.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 18:30 - Dec 10 with 1107 viewsmonty_radio

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 18:16 - Dec 10 by Radlett_blue

Hurst was given some of Town's proceeds from selling Webster & Waghorn, which he wasted by over-paying for very average League 1 players. Evans wasn't going to second guess Hurst's choices & the fees & wages for his signings must have been to his liking. It was Hurst's fault that he wasted money on poor players; Evans was doing what he does in backing his manager's judgement. Unfortunately, such a poor bunch of signings is largely why the club is where it is now.

Re Hurst wasting money on average players, I imagine that Hurst didn't see it like that. He was able to buy what he saw as the best of his successful Shrewsbury team that had just finished third while taking one of the most effective strikers in L2 in Jackson. What, it seems to me, he vastly overestimated was his ability to bend to his will a much more established club with some very established players who had long played at a level above him. When it didn't work he reportedly turned into the supply teacher to whom nobody pays attention, no matter how loudly the volume rises.

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 20:31 - Dec 10 with 933 viewsRadlett_blue

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 18:30 - Dec 10 by monty_radio

Re Hurst wasting money on average players, I imagine that Hurst didn't see it like that. He was able to buy what he saw as the best of his successful Shrewsbury team that had just finished third while taking one of the most effective strikers in L2 in Jackson. What, it seems to me, he vastly overestimated was his ability to bend to his will a much more established club with some very established players who had long played at a level above him. When it didn't work he reportedly turned into the supply teacher to whom nobody pays attention, no matter how loudly the volume rises.

Yes, I don't think Hurst saw it like that. His awful tenure may have been down to his aggressive man-management, which upset the Town senior players, while this coupled with his influx of new recruits apparently created an "us and them" mentality. However, I think his signings ranged from average to poor. Jackson was a reasonable punt given that Championship clubs still want to buy him, but the rest are average League 1 players on excessive wages so will end up on free transfers.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 21:45 - Dec 10 with 847 viewsmonty_radio

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 20:31 - Dec 10 by Radlett_blue

Yes, I don't think Hurst saw it like that. His awful tenure may have been down to his aggressive man-management, which upset the Town senior players, while this coupled with his influx of new recruits apparently created an "us and them" mentality. However, I think his signings ranged from average to poor. Jackson was a reasonable punt given that Championship clubs still want to buy him, but the rest are average League 1 players on excessive wages so will end up on free transfers.

Nolan's ability to actually control a ball puts him in a higher bracket than that, in my opinion.

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 21:57 - Dec 10 with 835 viewsDarth_Koont

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 18:16 - Dec 10 by Radlett_blue

Agree with that but it was pretty clear that Hurst was stocking the team with mid-20s players. Which is fine if they’re undervalued (which they weren’t) and also if they were coming into a team that wasn’t already a balance of young talent and wise heads.

We basically just pissed money up the wall and bloated our squad.

Pronouns: He/Him

The funny thing about the ‘careful what you wish for’ comment on 22:04 - Dec 10 with 830 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It is more a shot at Hurst but it is also a loud cry of "however bad Lambert is, I can get it a lot worse".

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024