Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New low for VAR 09:13 - Feb 12 with 1462 viewsIpswichKnight

Just saw this

New low for VAR on 09:17 - Feb 12 with 1407 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What happened to clear and obvious error?

Pedantry 1 - Football 0

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

New low for VAR on 09:17 - Feb 12 with 1409 viewsRobTheMonk

This is where common sense should come in. All the ref needs to do is have a quick word with the subs to tell them to move back a yard.
New low for VAR on 09:18 - Feb 12 with 1396 viewsStokieBlue

To be fair, he could have just missed the penalty to make everything right again.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New low for VAR on 09:19 - Feb 12 with 1390 viewsDanTheMan

Oh for goodness sake.

It's a natural reaction for a footballer to do that.

It's amazing the ref didn't (or maybe can't?) apply a small amount of common sense.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 9:21]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

New low for VAR on 09:24 - Feb 12 with 1322 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

New low for VAR on 09:19 - Feb 12 by DanTheMan

Oh for goodness sake.

It's a natural reaction for a footballer to do that.

It's amazing the ref didn't (or maybe can't?) apply a small amount of common sense.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 9:21]

I guess once VAR has showed the lack of common sense by raising it, the ref has no choice but to agree.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

New low for VAR on 09:29 - Feb 12 with 1288 viewsMookamoo

Either it is a rule or not. Good, efficient German VAR.
New low for VAR on 09:32 - Feb 12 with 1264 viewsMetal_Hacker

If the bloke or management had anything about them they would have missed it deliberately

Poll: If it were one or the other

New low for VAR on 09:33 - Feb 12 with 1257 viewshomer_123

Said from the very outset that VAR ruins games.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

New low for VAR on 09:36 - Feb 12 with 1247 viewsSitfcB

An old low for var, October 2019.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/reactions-news-weird-referee-gives-penalty-a

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

New low for VAR on 09:45 - Feb 12 with 1218 viewslongtimefan

New low for VAR on 09:36 - Feb 12 by SitfcB

https://www.sportbible.com/football/reactions-news-weird-referee-gives-penalty-a

Thought I’d heard about that before.
New low for VAR on 09:59 - Feb 12 with 1180 viewscooperd5

New low for VAR on 09:36 - Feb 12 by SitfcB

the crowd aged it :-(
Miss those days....
New low for VAR on 10:11 - Feb 12 with 1143 viewsX0Y0

Clearly stupid, though VAR isn't the problem - it's humans that set the rules, parameters, and process the information. This could have just been a yellow card for instance.

I still believe VAR could be useful, but it should be limited to 15 seconds or real time review, and an official off the field of play, ideally with screens to show replays live to fans. It's 'clear and obvious' to everybody that the 'clear and obvious' aspect is completely absent from the current application.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 10:12]
New low for VAR on 10:21 - Feb 12 with 1096 viewsgordon

Not sure you can blame VAR or the referee for that - the rules of the game are quite clear, and those subs are professionals and should know the rules:

New low for VAR on 10:23 - Feb 12 with 1079 viewsgordon

New low for VAR on 10:11 - Feb 12 by X0Y0

Clearly stupid, though VAR isn't the problem - it's humans that set the rules, parameters, and process the information. This could have just been a yellow card for instance.

I still believe VAR could be useful, but it should be limited to 15 seconds or real time review, and an official off the field of play, ideally with screens to show replays live to fans. It's 'clear and obvious' to everybody that the 'clear and obvious' aspect is completely absent from the current application.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 10:12]

Don't really see how the rules could be any different - what if the ball had been going in? What if it might have been kept in play? etc. etc.
New low for VAR on 10:23 - Feb 12 with 1074 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

New low for VAR on 10:21 - Feb 12 by gordon

Not sure you can blame VAR or the referee for that - the rules of the game are quite clear, and those subs are professionals and should know the rules:

Christ alive

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

New low for VAR on 10:27 - Feb 12 with 1058 viewsTJS

If VAR becomes a regular thing at all professional football matches going forward it would probably be the end of going to matches for me.
I have no interest in constantly waiting around in a stadium to find something wrong with every goal scored/not scored.
Being able to instantly celebrate a goal is the main point of going to a match for me.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 10:30]
New low for VAR on 11:07 - Feb 12 with 987 viewsMookamoo

There is an arrogance to football in refusing to look at how other sports use technology.

Umpires Call in cricket is an excellent way of underlying the authority of the on field officials. If its too close to call, go with the original decision. Obvious errors are then rectified.

Something like the NFL Coaches Challenge would give the managers the opportunity to ask the ref to look again. It's not perfect, but US sports have used this sort of tech for years.
New low for VAR on 11:34 - Feb 12 with 926 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

New low for VAR on 11:52 - Feb 12 with 893 viewsbrazil1982

New low for VAR on 11:34 - Feb 12 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

I agree. A pedantic manager would have called this out and demanded a penalty and screamed "What have we got VAR for?"

Managers, pundits, supporters were calling for video evidence for years and they've got it. This is what it is.
New low for VAR on 12:00 - Feb 12 with 864 viewsRadlett_blue

New low for VAR on 10:23 - Feb 12 by gordon

Don't really see how the rules could be any different - what if the ball had been going in? What if it might have been kept in play? etc. etc.

While I understand that "rules are rules", if ever there was a case for common sense to be applied, this was it. But presumably once the VAR jobsworths were in charge, the referee had little option & if he had ignored the law, the other team might have demanded a replay because the referee had failed to apply the laws of the game.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

New low for VAR on 12:06 - Feb 12 with 839 viewsX0Y0

I don't think that having a set of rules should prohibit the ability for a referee / VAR official to use their own discretion. Those instances are clearly different to the one that has taken place and would warrant a more severe outcome.

I think an interesting element of VAR has been that it brings in to question the purpose of a referee, in a sense that it never had before, similar umpires and lbw in cricket. Why do we have or need referees? Is it to try and implement a set of laws as close as possible to how they are written, irrespective of the impact on the match, or is it to encourage a fair / better game of football?
New low for VAR on 12:06 - Feb 12 with 840 viewsSuperCoops

If the ball had been going in, the sub would have needed to be standing in the goal, which is a totally different slant on what happened. He was no-where near the goal, the ball was heading considerably wide and no attacker was anywhere near getting the ball.

Yes, by the strict letter of the law, fair enough, but this is where the game is losing the 'grey' area and common sense. VAR, FIFA, Refs are turning into robots and the game into it as well.

But our game isn't, in a lot of cases, an 'exact science'. There is so much that needs and should be left to interpretation in the nature and spirit of the game. It's about decision making and common sense, not science.
New low for VAR on 12:09 - Feb 12 with 822 viewsRadlett_blue

New low for VAR on 12:06 - Feb 12 by SuperCoops

If the ball had been going in, the sub would have needed to be standing in the goal, which is a totally different slant on what happened. He was no-where near the goal, the ball was heading considerably wide and no attacker was anywhere near getting the ball.

Yes, by the strict letter of the law, fair enough, but this is where the game is losing the 'grey' area and common sense. VAR, FIFA, Refs are turning into robots and the game into it as well.

But our game isn't, in a lot of cases, an 'exact science'. There is so much that needs and should be left to interpretation in the nature and spirit of the game. It's about decision making and common sense, not science.

Indeed, it's about officials knowing the game, rather than just knowing the laws. Another example of this - and the usual time when VAR frustrates - is the hairsbreadth definition of what constitutes offside.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

New low for VAR on 12:14 - Feb 12 with 811 viewsMookamoo

New low for VAR on 12:00 - Feb 12 by Radlett_blue

While I understand that "rules are rules", if ever there was a case for common sense to be applied, this was it. But presumably once the VAR jobsworths were in charge, the referee had little option & if he had ignored the law, the other team might have demanded a replay because the referee had failed to apply the laws of the game.

I'm not defending VAR-its an awful idea, but the whole point of the VAR officials are to be jobsworths. Once VAR is there it has to follow the letter of the law, not matter how terrible that makes the game. If they see something, they have to tell the ref about it. I'm not sure what people are expecting them to do?

The fault here is with the team that won the penalty. Just kick it out for a goal kick.
New low for VAR on 12:53 - Feb 12 with 757 viewsSuperCoops

New low for VAR on 12:09 - Feb 12 by Radlett_blue

Indeed, it's about officials knowing the game, rather than just knowing the laws. Another example of this - and the usual time when VAR frustrates - is the hairsbreadth definition of what constitutes offside.

The thing I have trouble most with VAR is the constantly spouted "clear and obvious errors" tag line used, when the majority of the decisions where VAR is used are anything but clear and obvious.

Marginal offsides etc are anything but clear or obvious and should be left alone. They've made the bar between "human" and science too exact.

It's horrible watching nearly every goal being paused by VAR waiting to clarify a goal, and then the scorer/team half-heartedly celebrating because they know it's under review etc.

Same with the offside law. I know someone who broke his leg as the lino waited to give the clear offside so play continued for a few moments and got his leg broken in a needless tackle with a keeper that wouldn't have occured had they just flagged the obvious offside at that moment rather than wait.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024