Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here 08:08 - Feb 28 with 1887 viewsMullet

Would be nice if the club addressed it, but perhaps they'd rather not. Although obviously there are much bigger things going on, so they might be happy to let this come and go in the news cycle.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 08:14 - Feb 28 with 1813 viewsChrisd

That’s got to be something the club does with Lewis Reed and hopefully more of the younger players that aren’t being retained, they have a duty of care, but I very much doubt it is in isolation with most clubs. Personally, I’d rather it was done in private to drive forward real change behind the scenes on player’s welfare, instead of giving it lip service on social media.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 8:47]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 09:31 - Feb 28 with 1598 viewsPhilTWTD

I think they plan to issue something, I've spoken to them about it. As you say, a lot happening.
Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 10:37 - Feb 28 with 1438 viewsMullet

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 08:14 - Feb 28 by Chrisd

That’s got to be something the club does with Lewis Reed and hopefully more of the younger players that aren’t being retained, they have a duty of care, but I very much doubt it is in isolation with most clubs. Personally, I’d rather it was done in private to drive forward real change behind the scenes on player’s welfare, instead of giving it lip service on social media.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 8:47]

The problem is it's rampant in the game and almost accepted as part of the culture. I've taught so many kids who are on the books of clubs and passed around as far from Manchester as the Blades, Everton etc. that you have to wonder who drives that.

I'm not excusing the club at all, but I never hear from the kids or parents anything but the clubs they were at were totally to blame for them not making it. Despite the chances being slim to begin with.

It's a very difficult and emotive area, where, given they are children for so much of the time more stringent protocols and inspections might be needed akin to Ofsted etc.

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 10:38 - Feb 28 with 1434 viewsMullet

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 09:31 - Feb 28 by PhilTWTD

I think they plan to issue something, I've spoken to them about it. As you say, a lot happening.

How long until you're back in the press conferences do you think?

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 11:08 - Feb 28 with 1369 viewsghostofescobar

Youth football within the professional club set up is brutal. They hoover up anyone with some talent, expect complete commitment from them (and their parents) then spit the huge majority of kids out. Although it isn’t explicitly recognised, it’s an industry that preys on dreams, both of the kids and the parents. I live in Hertfordshire, and there are loads of stores about how Spurs, Arsenal, Watford, Stevenage etc operate, and it’s often not good. It’s a human conveyor belt. Most get chucked out the other end with nothing. This very definitely isn’t just an ITFC things, but that doesn’t mean we couldn’t do a lot, lot better at looking after these kids. It’s a tough world. My boys never got approached to train for a professional team, but in my mind I was prepared to say “no” if it happened.

GhostOfEscobar

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 11:26 - Feb 28 with 1330 viewsWD19

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 10:38 - Feb 28 by Mullet

The Watford view is that Mark Ashton sees the press as an extension of the club communications department and anyone that does not toe the line 100% will get short shrift. Expect a short period of beautiful harmony followed by a return to normal service.
Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 11:32 - Feb 28 with 1307 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 10:38 - Feb 28 by Mullet

No idea when or whether the situation will change.
Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 13:54 - Feb 28 with 1120 viewsChrisd

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 11:08 - Feb 28 by ghostofescobar

Youth football within the professional club set up is brutal. They hoover up anyone with some talent, expect complete commitment from them (and their parents) then spit the huge majority of kids out. Although it isn’t explicitly recognised, it’s an industry that preys on dreams, both of the kids and the parents. I live in Hertfordshire, and there are loads of stores about how Spurs, Arsenal, Watford, Stevenage etc operate, and it’s often not good. It’s a human conveyor belt. Most get chucked out the other end with nothing. This very definitely isn’t just an ITFC things, but that doesn’t mean we couldn’t do a lot, lot better at looking after these kids. It’s a tough world. My boys never got approached to train for a professional team, but in my mind I was prepared to say “no” if it happened.

Exactly, why follow the norm? Be the exception and the shining light, which other clubs try to follow and replicate. Really hope the club learns from it, although it maybe rife in the game it doesn’t mean it’s right.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 14:15 - Feb 28 with 1062 viewsfabian_illness

Part of the problem is that kids are never made ready for the possibility of failure.

Going to a pro club is no doubt a privilege, the best facilities, coaching, kit and guidance.
I’m not sure I agree if someone doesn’t make the grade that they should be entitled to continued support from the club. That could be never ending.
Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 17:42 - Feb 28 with 891 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 13:54 - Feb 28 by Chrisd

Exactly, why follow the norm? Be the exception and the shining light, which other clubs try to follow and replicate. Really hope the club learns from it, although it maybe rife in the game it doesn’t mean it’s right.

There would be a real potential for the US Consortium to change the culture here, by tying into the US College/University scholarship system. That is the perfect way forward for young players who narrowly miss out on making it as a pro here.
Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 18:10 - Feb 28 with 838 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 14:15 - Feb 28 by fabian_illness

Part of the problem is that kids are never made ready for the possibility of failure.

Going to a pro club is no doubt a privilege, the best facilities, coaching, kit and guidance.
I’m not sure I agree if someone doesn’t make the grade that they should be entitled to continued support from the club. That could be never ending.

Nor are the kids parents, who let’s be frank can be as much a part of the problem as they live out their dreams through their kids.

As others have said, it’s a ruthless business. I know a number of families with kids at the PDC in Norwich. They all get all the kit and kudos etc, but pay for the privilege and I hazard a guess that none of them will mak3th3 grade.

Poll: Our final position

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 18:20 - Feb 28 with 812 viewsSwansea_Blue

Joe have done a piece with Lewis Reed on his treatment here on 17:42 - Feb 28 by ArnoldMoorhen

There would be a real potential for the US Consortium to change the culture here, by tying into the US College/University scholarship system. That is the perfect way forward for young players who narrowly miss out on making it as a pro here.

Both this and the post you were replying to are excellent. Yes we have a real opportunity now to do something unique and hopefully special. A new start. Why not dream and aim to be trend setters? An innovative, compelling vision has been completely absent from the Evans years.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024