Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cookie must be licking his lips! 11:41 - Apr 8 with 3567 viewsRyorry

Managers' dream isn't it? Opportunity to turn round slowly sinking tanker of a club wedged in L1, sell all the poor quality cargo weighing it down, & then have the freedom to assemble all the parts you need to build your own model side to travel up the leagues.

No doubt Newcy could advise on the best galley layout for testing of tactical recipes ;)

Seriously though, huge opportunity for PC to make a big name for himself, rising from lower leagues in the same way as George Burley and Bobby Robson.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:44 - Apr 8 with 2783 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I just hope he can work with a CEO.

Phillip suggested yesterday that he had turned down jobs because of this exact structure, (apologies if not you Phil, I know I read this yesterday)

But Wigan had this set up, so I'm not so sure.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:50 - Apr 8 with 2738 viewsPhilTWTD

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:44 - Apr 8 by Cheltenham_Blue

Phillip suggested yesterday that he had turned down jobs because of this exact structure, (apologies if not you Phil, I know I read this yesterday)

He turned down jobs where clubs had sporting directors and managers weren't allowed to manage, as he sees it, not CEOs.
Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:51 - Apr 8 with 2720 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:50 - Apr 8 by PhilTWTD

He turned down jobs where clubs had sporting directors and managers weren't allowed to manage, as he sees it, not CEOs.

Yeah, sounds like the CEO is for the day to day bits rather than managing the football side of things?

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:53 - Apr 8 with 2704 viewsDanTheMan

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:51 - Apr 8 by JammyDodgerrr

Yeah, sounds like the CEO is for the day to day bits rather than managing the football side of things?

I'd very much hope we're looking into someone to really look after the football side of things above the manager.

Need to stop relying on the manager to look after everything.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:54 - Apr 8 with 2694 viewschicoazul

Keane must have been licking his lips too. And Jewell, and Hurst.
And the cynic in me states that if we get to the Championship there is a good chance Cook will be relived of his duties.
I dunno. The more I think about this takeover the more despondent I get.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:54 - Apr 8 with 2678 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Burley and Robson both started as managers in the top flight with ITFC.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:55 - Apr 8 with 2679 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:53 - Apr 8 by DanTheMan

I'd very much hope we're looking into someone to really look after the football side of things above the manager.

That's kind of what i meant, sorry for not phrasing well. As in it leaves Cook to take care of the team and what he wants to do with that, including transfers, rather than having a DoF who has an input to the team.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:56 - Apr 8 with 2652 viewsRyorry

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:44 - Apr 8 by Cheltenham_Blue

He only resigned from Wigan after it had gone into administraton tho, & because the Administrators had sold Kieffer Moore 2 days before what was their last, & could have been the defining game of their season that kept them in the Ch'ship - had they not had the 12 pt deduction for going into Admin.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/paul-cook-breaks-his-silence-why-he-re

I'm hoping that our new owners will prove to be a very different, better, kettle of fish!

Login to get fewer ads

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:57 - Apr 8 with 2634 viewsGeoffSentence

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:54 - Apr 8 by chicoazul

And the cynic in me states that if we get to the Championship there is a good chance Cook will be relived of his duties.

You need to cheer yourself up, go and smoke a bit of weed or something.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:58 - Apr 8 with 2620 viewsRyorry

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:54 - Apr 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Burley and Robson both started as managers in the top flight with ITFC.

Burley & Robson both started their managerial careers in the lower leagues.

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:00 - Apr 8 with 2603 viewsPlums

Really? Have you watched their press conference? If not, I suggest you do.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:01 - Apr 8 with 2607 viewsPhilTWTD

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:51 - Apr 8 by JammyDodgerrr

Exactly that. This is what he said:

“Football’s a massively changing game now, that’s life at the top end of football. There are so many components with sporting directors and different people at clubs.

“And I’m a great believer that the manager does have an important role to play at a club, he is important, he’s been brought in because of his football knowledge."

Cook: Owner's Relationship With Previous Managers the Attraction 11th Mar 2021 13:48
New manager Paul Cook says owner Marcus Evans's relationship with his previous bosses was a big factor in him deciding to take the Town job, having spoken to former incumbent Mick McCarthy about the role. 30

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:02 - Apr 8 with 2577 viewsPhilTWTD

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:53 - Apr 8 by DanTheMan

Lee's job was essentially meant to be that, although not above the manager, but lots of other stuff got pushed in his direction.

This post has been edited by an administrator
a dream job you tend to know who your boss is going to be on 12:03 - Apr 8 with 2553 viewsunstableblue

From Cooks recent pressers about recruitment and restructuring plans WITH Marcus and lee, and following the presser comments yesterday I’d say he wasn’t expecting this, or that Marcus has kept his cards close to chest and/or informed it was likely not to happen.

The selection of the right CEO is critical here and he and Cook forming a positive working relationship. Nothing to say this won’t happen, but a lot of naivety to think there is not risk here.

Certainly Cook should be getting a healthy transfer budget, and he will hopefully have the say on where it is spent. Not the case with Ashton at City as I understand it.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2021 12:08]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:11 - Apr 8 with 2451 viewsRadioOrwell

Seriously ? That is the weirdest reaction I can imagine to all of this.

I'm more and more thrilled by it all. Brett J has come across realy really well to me. They have already been running clubs with success. They have a lot of money.
If Cook succeeds then he hasn't anything to worry about.

I've no idea how it's going to pan out but I honestly can't imagine a better new start : admittedly after a whole 24 hours.
Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:15 - Apr 8 with 2419 viewschicoazul

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:11 - Apr 8 by RadioOrwell

Seriously ? That is the weirdest reaction I can imagine to all of this.

I'm more and more thrilled by it all. Brett J has come across realy really well to me. They have already been running clubs with success. They have a lot of money.
If Cook succeeds then he hasn't anything to worry about.

I've no idea how it's going to pan out but I honestly can't imagine a better new start : admittedly after a whole 24 hours.

This is Ipswich. We’ll find a way to cock it all up.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:19 - Apr 8 with 2396 viewsPique

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:58 - Apr 8 by Ryorry

Robson didn’t. He started with Fulham in the First Division. They then got got relegated and he was sacked shortly afterwards, so virtually none of his managerial career was spent in the lower leagues.
Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:20 - Apr 8 with 2384 viewsRadioOrwell

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:15 - Apr 8 by chicoazul

True dat.
But we "might" not.
And the possibility of not cocking it up is enough for me :)
Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:23 - Apr 8 with 2365 viewsRyorry

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:15 - Apr 8 by chicoazul

The only time in our history we found a way to cock it up *over a 13-year timespan* tho, was the "Marcus Evans Era"!

I was a tad sceptical about this takeover until it happened & I read a bit more about it/the new owners, but even I doubt we'd be so unlucky as to experience that kind of downturn twice in a row!

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:23 - Apr 8 with 2359 viewsPique

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:50 - Apr 8 by PhilTWTD

The problem with this is that it depends on the CEO.

From what Bristol City fans have said, Ashton seems to have had a major role in recruitment and selling of players - to the extent that some think he was effectively in charge of both.

I can’t see Cook being happy with that, regardless of whether he’s badged as a CEO or Sporting Director (or whatever).

Of course, it might not be Ashton who’s appointed.
Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:27 - Apr 8 with 2320 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 11:58 - Apr 8 by Ryorry

No, Robson started in the top flight with Fulham.

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:28 - Apr 8 with 2308 viewsRyorry

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:19 - Apr 8 by Pique

Robson didn’t. He started with Fulham in the First Division. They then got got relegated and he was sacked shortly afterwards, so virtually none of his managerial career was spent in the lower leagues.

Ah, apols re Robson & Fulham. He did stay with them a few months after they were relegated tho, till Nov. '68.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2021 12:28]

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:36 - Apr 8 with 2235 viewsPique

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:28 - Apr 8 by Ryorry

Ah, apols re Robson & Fulham. He did stay with them a few months after they were relegated tho, till Nov. '68.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2021 12:28]

He did indeed - the only time in his career he ever managed outside the top flight of whatever country was in.

No apology necessary - I annoy even myself with my pedantry sometimes...
Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:47 - Apr 8 with 2160 viewsRyorry

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:36 - Apr 8 by Pique

He did indeed - the only time in his career he ever managed outside the top flight of whatever country was in.

No apology necessary - I annoy even myself with my pedantry sometimes...

No probs - I should have used better examples, Burley and AN other. I keep forgetting tho that "Division 1" back then was actually the top league. Fulham's a strange club in my head too - for whatever weird reason, I always think of them as second tier! despite their history.

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:51 - Apr 8 with 2126 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Cookie must be licking his lips! on 12:47 - Apr 8 by Ryorry

No probs - I should have used better examples, Burley and AN other. I keep forgetting tho that "Division 1" back then was actually the top league. Fulham's a strange club in my head too - for whatever weird reason, I always think of them as second tier! despite their history.

I remember Fulham as a 4th division team! Didn't they go all the way down the leagues and all the way up them again in not that huge amount of time? Certainly not a huge amount by today's standards anyway?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024