Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No minute silence today at the England match, for D day 21:08 - Jun 6 with 3792 viewsBelsteadCav

Poor

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:11 - Jun 6 with 2607 viewsReuser_is_God

Too busy taking the knee for the lefties.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 21:11]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:13 - Jun 6 with 2578 viewsFPL_Tractor

Probably would have been booed as politics and football don’t mix apparently.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:14 - Jun 6 with 2573 viewsBlueBadger

Quite the political act, taking violent action against a large group of openly racist people.
Clearly a threat to Our Way Of Life.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:40 - Jun 6 with 2467 viewsChrisd

Probably would’ve upset too many?! It is really disappointing when this is part of our country’s history and should be remembered for the lives lost to help make us the country we are today.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 22:41]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:44 - Jun 6 with 2432 viewsvapour_trail

Do we normally mark it with the national team? If so, I’d agree it would be a bit of an oversight.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:48 - Jun 6 with 2416 viewsjeera

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:40 - Jun 6 by Chrisd

Probably would’ve upset too many?! It is really disappointing when this is part of our country’s history and should be remembered for the lives lost to help make us the country we are today.

How the feck would remembering the country's war dead be upsetting 'lefties' and 'wokes'?

Are you people incapable of thought or something?

Damn straight there should have been a moment for a historical event in which tens of thousands of brave people went toe to toe with a terrifying foe.

That's not to say there isn't a place for both, especially as both represent a fight for freedom and equality.

Getting a bit fed up with this either/or comparison crap.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 21:49]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:50 - Jun 6 with 2410 viewsBelsteadCav

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:44 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

Do we normally mark it with the national team? If so, I’d agree it would be a bit of an oversight.

To be honest, I’m not 100% sure.

But I was expecting a minute silence, then the knee 🤷🏼‍♂️

That’s what I would have done

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:50 - Jun 6 with 2397 viewsjeera

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:50 - Jun 6 by BelsteadCav

Agree, fully.

Login to get fewer ads

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:52 - Jun 6 with 2394 viewsClapham_Junction

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:44 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

I can't ever remember having a minute's silence for D-day. I thought the remembrance of all war dead was covered by Remembrance Day.
No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:53 - Jun 6 with 2382 viewsBelsteadCav

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:52 - Jun 6 by Clapham_Junction

I can't ever remember having a minute's silence for D-day. I thought the remembrance of all war dead was covered by Remembrance Day.

Have we had many England home games on D Day?

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:54 - Jun 6 with 2373 viewsFtnfwest

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:52 - Jun 6 by Clapham_Junction

That’s because the date rarely falls on an England home game I suspect
No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:55 - Jun 6 with 2354 viewsvapour_trail

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:50 - Jun 6 by BelsteadCav

Seems reasonable.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:02 - Jun 6 with 2324 viewsjeera

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:53 - Jun 6 by BelsteadCav

Have we had many England home games on D Day?

I probably also misrepresented that view by saying 'war dead'.

Of course Clapham is right in what he says about 11th Nov.

But yes, agree if an event falls on a significant day like today it would be appropriate to make an effort.

The 'dead' probably doesn't cover it on this occasion; today marks a date when lots of lives were lost of course and when hearts of loved ones were broken, but to remember the sh1t scary situation faced by those people who still managed to push forwards and live.

I can't speak for others on the board, but I think it's fair to say I'd have probably been terrified.

So yes, not just the dead, but all who fought that day. Between them they won and as a collective overcame things we will never completely understand.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 22:04]

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:04 - Jun 6 with 2313 viewsChrisd

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:48 - Jun 6 by jeera

How the feck would remembering the country's war dead be upsetting 'lefties' and 'wokes'?

Are you people incapable of thought or something?

Damn straight there should have been a moment for a historical event in which tens of thousands of brave people went toe to toe with a terrifying foe.

That's not to say there isn't a place for both, especially as both represent a fight for freedom and equality.

Getting a bit fed up with this either/or comparison crap.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 21:49]

Think you might have your wires crossed here. Personally, I get fed up with hearing the usual BS from people where they are questioning why we should acknowledge our history, especially those brave soldiers that have given their lives to help make our country what it is today. So forgive me if I have little tolerance of the plebs that complain at the slightest thing instead of showing a little more respect and gratitude to what those soldiers did on D-Day all those years ago.

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:08 - Jun 6 with 2276 viewseireblue

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:04 - Jun 6 by Chrisd

Think you might have your wires crossed here. Personally, I get fed up with hearing the usual BS from people where they are questioning why we should acknowledge our history, especially those brave soldiers that have given their lives to help make our country what it is today. So forgive me if I have little tolerance of the plebs that complain at the slightest thing instead of showing a little more respect and gratitude to what those soldiers did on D-Day all those years ago.

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/remembrance/remembrance-events/d-d
No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:11 - Jun 6 with 2260 viewsSteve_M

Indeed, although Remembrance Day has now stretched to a period of three weeks for football in a way that wasn’t deemed necessary when the bulk of veterans of the two world wars were alive.

There’s never been a notable remembrance of D Day amidst the wider population outside of significant anniversaries.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2021 7:41]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:25 - Jun 6 with 2181 viewsLeoMuff

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:04 - Jun 6 by Chrisd

What are you blithering on about ? When has that happened ?

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:33 - Jun 6 with 2157 viewsHARRY10

What an absolute nonsense thought, that is more about wishing to score some bigoted point than it ever demonstrate ANY understanding off history.

If anything, it is the same type of misrepresentation and twisting of history that led ultimately to that long battle.
No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:35 - Jun 6 with 2140 viewsjaykay

no you didnt say plebs you said wokes. which is a name which is meant to targets lefties.
i think you will find there was as many lefties who were soldiers on d day and dunkirk or any battle in the two world wars.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:40 - Jun 6 with 2117 viewsChrisd

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:35 - Jun 6 by jaykay

no you didnt say plebs you said wokes. which is a name which is meant to targets lefties.
i think you will find there was as many lefties who were soldiers on d day and dunkirk or any battle in the two world wars.

Yes, my fault, wrong choice of word. Need to update my urban dictionary.

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:41 - Jun 6 with 2114 viewsHARRY10

This is not about acknowledging our history as if you had the slightest idea of WW2 you would not have posted such sh ite, and if you had the slightest respect for those who fought and died you would have not used their loss as a peg to hang your naked hate upon.

And the sickening irony is that your sort espouse the very views, so many died fighting against.
No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:44 - Jun 6 with 2087 viewsBelsteadCav

I marked that down, meant to mark it up

Fat fingers

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:45 - Jun 6 with 2088 viewsBelsteadCav

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:33 - Jun 6 by HARRY10

What an absolute nonsense thought, that is more about wishing to score some bigoted point than it ever demonstrate ANY understanding off history.

If anything, it is the same type of misrepresentation and twisting of history that led ultimately to that long battle.

Wow

Ok

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 23:14 - Jun 6 with 1997 viewsKropotkin123

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:40 - Jun 6 by Chrisd

Three of my direct family members fought in the two great wars. One grandad and two great grandads were of age and served.

Whilst it is nice that their contributions are remembered, what is more important is remembering why they fought.

Fighting to protect those they loved. Fighting against fascists. Fighting for human decency.

I'm not disappointed that people don't feel the need to take the time to remember their contributions. I'm disappointed that people have forgotten why they fought and don't feel the importance of instilling values, such as equality, in themselves.

Frankly, racists are traitors to the actions my family took to defend the nation and liberate Europe, against people who would treat other humans as inferior.

Maybe that will upset too many?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 23:17 - Jun 6 with 1979 viewsHARRY10

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:45 - Jun 6 by BelsteadCav

Wow

Ok

No wow from me, as I have grown accustomed to such stupidity from your sort. This was the second day of an offensive, one that saw more French civilians killed by allied bombing than total allied deaths.

Why the fack would the 77th anniversary of this warrant a minutes silence when far greater losses at El Alamein, Arnhem, even the sinking of the Lancastria *

Maybe the Norwegians should have had a minutes silence, as the New Zealanders (cricket) and those other countries playing today .... Belgium, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Greece and the Netherlands who all had soldiers/sailors fighting there on that day, and afterwards until May 1945.

Curious that you did not question why there was no minutes silence by Scotland. Or is it that you find England players kneeling so offensive to your bigotry that you had to find something, however absurd, to reply with.

* have a read

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/56/a4103056.shtml

perhaps in 11 days you might wish to have your own minutes silence for this horrific loss of life
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024