Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No minute silence today at the England match, for D day 21:08 - Jun 6 with 3836 viewsBelsteadCav

Poor

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 23:18 - Jun 6 with 1212 viewsBlueBadger

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:40 - Jun 6 by Chrisd

Probably would’ve upset too many?! It is really disappointing when this is part of our country’s history and should be remembered for the lives lost to help make us the country we are today.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 22:41]

Personally, I'd suggest that the perfect tribute to those who lost their lives fighting a white supremacist regime would be a demonstration against racism.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

errrrrrr..... what the lives lost fighting right wing populism? on 23:57 - Jun 6 with 1151 viewsunstableblue

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:40 - Jun 6 by Chrisd

Probably would’ve upset too many?! It is really disappointing when this is part of our country’s history and should be remembered for the lives lost to help make us the country we are today.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 22:41]

The good things about Britain do not come from twisting the heroics of the allied forces in WWII into the right wing populist crap of today... the way the sun and the right media have twisted WWII over the decades is what has actually made this country worse.... banging on about beating the hun in relation to playing Germany at football, etc etc, demonising the French

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 00:00 - Jun 7 with 1146 viewsfactual_blue

Letting an iconic 77th anniversary pass is unforgivable.

On the plus side, Channel Five showed The Longest Day.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

errrrrrr..... what the lives lost fighting right wing populism? on 00:02 - Jun 7 with 1139 viewsHARRY10

errrrrrr..... what the lives lost fighting right wing populism? on 23:57 - Jun 6 by unstableblue

The good things about Britain do not come from twisting the heroics of the allied forces in WWII into the right wing populist crap of today... the way the sun and the right media have twisted WWII over the decades is what has actually made this country worse.... banging on about beating the hun in relation to playing Germany at football, etc etc, demonising the French

The question there is whether they are causing, or playing up to, those views.

I suspect it is more of the latter than many will be comfortable with.
No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 00:11 - Jun 7 with 1136 viewsfactual_blue

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:44 - Jun 6 by BelsteadCav

I marked that down, meant to mark it up

Fat fingers

So not only do you downvote him, you then call him 'Fat Fingers'.

Jeez, some people.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 00:18 - Jun 7 with 1144 viewsXYZ

Heroic anti-fascists every one of them.

If only their memory and sacrifice was remembered for what they were fighting for and against instead of being politicised by people who would have turned away those fleeing from oppression.

What would your thoughts be during the minute's silence? A globally based fight against fascism? Or a jingoistic recolouring of your country's history?
POST OF THE MONTH!! on 00:40 - Jun 7 with 1121 viewsunstableblue

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 23:14 - Jun 6 by Kropotkin123

Three of my direct family members fought in the two great wars. One grandad and two great grandads were of age and served.

Whilst it is nice that their contributions are remembered, what is more important is remembering why they fought.

Fighting to protect those they loved. Fighting against fascists. Fighting for human decency.

I'm not disappointed that people don't feel the need to take the time to remember their contributions. I'm disappointed that people have forgotten why they fought and don't feel the importance of instilling values, such as equality, in themselves.

Frankly, racists are traitors to the actions my family took to defend the nation and liberate Europe, against people who would treat other humans as inferior.

Maybe that will upset too many?

Great words.. thank you

What should have come from that courage, that amazing sacrifice was the progression of the values they were fighting for.....

.... fighting as they did alongside many other countries and races to stop the mindless doctrine of hate, bigotry and fear... of the fascist tenant of targeting ethnicity to increase populism.

India had 81,000 military dead in WW2, and 2.3million civilian deaths in WW2
The UK was around 383k military and 450k in total with civilian - all heroes
Spare a thought for Russia with 10million military dead and 24million civilian - it was their huge sacrifice and their teaming with the US on supply chains that ultimately won the war

It was a concerted effort... a common sacrifice... and you’d think 77 years on, the UK would come out of its little englander mind set at last... and celebrate what is truly great about this country, it’s diversity, it’s creativity, it’s sense of fair play, it’s care for others - booing people who are exhibiting those characteristics, standing up to hate, is an insult to all those who sacrificed before
[Post edited 7 Jun 2021 0:43]

And the English international team fought to have poppies on display.... on 00:58 - Jun 7 with 1112 viewsunstableblue

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 22:11 - Jun 6 by Steve_M

Indeed, although Remembrance Day has now stretched to a period of three weeks for football in a way that wasn’t deemed necessary when the bulk of veterans of the two world wars were alive.

There’s never been a notable remembrance of D Day amidst the wider population outside of significant anniversaries.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2021 7:41]

.... against fines from FIFA

And guess what it was the German FA as one of the first to support its wearing by informing FIFA they were comfortable it being worn in a game

The country about which our newspapers write such headlines as - ‘achtung surrender Fritz’, with two players in ww2 helmets... well over half a century after ww2... and to a country who has atoned and transformed itself into a beacon of modern caring society

Login to get fewer ads

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 01:09 - Jun 7 with 1113 viewsStNeotsBlue

I think the significance of today's opening/unveiling of the monument in Normandy may have warranted a minutes silence or applause especially as the veterans couldn't make the journey due to Covid.
No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 03:06 - Jun 7 with 1079 viewsHARRY10

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 01:09 - Jun 7 by StNeotsBlue

I think the significance of today's opening/unveiling of the monument in Normandy may have warranted a minutes silence or applause especially as the veterans couldn't make the journey due to Covid.

total bollox !

as that would have meant all other countries having to do likewise - and where is the precedent for any such action in response to unveiling of similar monuments ?

or are we to believe that only British forces landed on 5th June onward ?

it is sickening to see the 'righties' continuing to use the deaths of so many to peddle their vile distortionn of history - as this has nothing to do with history but is cut to the bone thinly disguised racism

or did where hear similar bleats on all the previous other occasions that went without a minutes silence

and why have the same bigots not questioned why there was no minutes silence at todays England cricket game as both countries had people involved in the landings, with at least 13 countries forces there on that day

could it be that the same rightwing sources have peddled this line, and they have grasped it as something to represent their anger at the players kneeling

but if nothing, it easily identifies who that sort among us are
No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 06:35 - Jun 7 with 1043 viewsBelsteadCav

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 23:17 - Jun 6 by HARRY10

No wow from me, as I have grown accustomed to such stupidity from your sort. This was the second day of an offensive, one that saw more French civilians killed by allied bombing than total allied deaths.

Why the fack would the 77th anniversary of this warrant a minutes silence when far greater losses at El Alamein, Arnhem, even the sinking of the Lancastria *

Maybe the Norwegians should have had a minutes silence, as the New Zealanders (cricket) and those other countries playing today .... Belgium, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Greece and the Netherlands who all had soldiers/sailors fighting there on that day, and afterwards until May 1945.

Curious that you did not question why there was no minutes silence by Scotland. Or is it that you find England players kneeling so offensive to your bigotry that you had to find something, however absurd, to reply with.

* have a read

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/56/a4103056.shtml

perhaps in 11 days you might wish to have your own minutes silence for this horrific loss of life

You really need to calm down

If you look at the thread, you can see I have absolutely no problem with taking the knee.

I’m not even sure why I’m replying as you’d already made your mind up.

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 06:45 - Jun 7 with 1029 viewsnoggin

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 00:18 - Jun 7 by XYZ

Heroic anti-fascists every one of them.

If only their memory and sacrifice was remembered for what they were fighting for and against instead of being politicised by people who would have turned away those fleeing from oppression.

What would your thoughts be during the minute's silence? A globally based fight against fascism? Or a jingoistic recolouring of your country's history?

Indeed, most of the 'patriotic Englishmen' seem to believe these brave men only fought to save Britain. Truth is, they do nothing besides post a picture of poppies on their Facebook page and spout some nonsense about speaking German.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

POST OF THE MONTH!! on 07:01 - Jun 7 with 1006 viewsnoggin

POST OF THE MONTH!! on 00:40 - Jun 7 by unstableblue

Great words.. thank you

What should have come from that courage, that amazing sacrifice was the progression of the values they were fighting for.....

.... fighting as they did alongside many other countries and races to stop the mindless doctrine of hate, bigotry and fear... of the fascist tenant of targeting ethnicity to increase populism.

Spare a thought for Russia with 10million military dead and 24million civilian - it was their huge sacrifice and their teaming with the US on supply chains that ultimately won the war

It was a concerted effort... a common sacrifice... and you’d think 77 years on, the UK would come out of its little englander mind set at last... and celebrate what is truly great about this country, it’s diversity, it’s creativity, it’s sense of fair play, it’s care for others - booing people who are exhibiting those characteristics, standing up to hate, is an insult to all those who sacrificed before

Excellent post.

POST OF THE MONTH!! on 07:21 - Jun 7 with 973 viewsdissboy2

POST OF THE MONTH!! on 00:40 - Jun 7 by unstableblue

Great words.. thank you

and 30K Gurkhas killed or wounded too
No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 07:25 - Jun 7 with 967 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Previous post-WW2 England football internationals played on 6th June

2009 (Wembley)

Accepting that a minute's silence is less likely for the away games, I don't recall such an observation taking place in 2009 and neither do I remember calls for such from any quarter.

Whilst such dates are a convenient way of allowing the nation to show its respect, as others have more eloquently said we would be better to honour those who served by living our own lives, every day, in a manner befitting their sacrifice.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 07:43 - Jun 7 with 938 viewsJohnTy

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 07:25 - Jun 7 by You_Bloo_Right

2009 (Wembley)

Accepting that a minute's silence is less likely for the away games, I don't recall such an observation taking place in 2009 and neither do I remember calls for such from any quarter.

Whilst such dates are a convenient way of allowing the nation to show its respect, as others have more eloquently said we would be better to honour those who served by living our own lives, every day, in a manner befitting their sacrifice.

I didn't watch the match, but I suspect that there were no Union Jacks on display either, certainly not as compared with 1966, although the conflation of England and Britain seems to continue in the minds of many, and perhaps has got worse in these days of "Global Britain".
[Post edited 7 Jun 2021 7:46]
No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 07:46 - Jun 7 with 933 viewsfooters

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:52 - Jun 6 by Clapham_Junction

I can't ever remember having a minute's silence for D-day. I thought the remembrance of all war dead was covered by Remembrance Day.

We should have a minute's silence before every game just in case. Don't want to upset the war dead by being unpatriotic.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

POST OF THE MONTH!! on 08:21 - Jun 7 with 888 viewsnoggin

POST OF THE MONTH!! on 07:21 - Jun 7 by dissboy2

and 30K Gurkhas killed or wounded too

Indeed but they're good brown people because they fight for Britain, without the same rights as other soldiers.

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 08:42 - Jun 7 with 846 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 07:25 - Jun 7 by You_Bloo_Right

2009 (Wembley)

England were away in Kazakhstan on 6th June 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8077218.stm

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 09:20 - Jun 7 with 816 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 08:42 - Jun 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

England were away in Kazakhstan on 6th June 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8077218.stm

Yep my mistake and whilst that impacts the first point I made quite significantly, I don't believe it changes what I went on to write.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 09:53 - Jun 7 with 782 viewsDarth_Koont

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 21:52 - Jun 6 by Clapham_Junction

I can't ever remember having a minute's silence for D-day. I thought the remembrance of all war dead was covered by Remembrance Day.

Indeed.

Not a go at Bellers’ OP as he doesn’t have form for this, but think we need to ridicule the wider furore over taking a knee and the ever-more ludicrous positions people are getting themselves into.

Mark Francois used to be widely accepted as a clown not the spiritual leader of some cultural fight back by white, middle-aged men.

Pronouns: He/Him

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 10:05 - Jun 7 with 763 viewsEwan_Oozami

D-Day not usually remembered with a minute's silence at sporting events as far as I'm aware - did they have one at Lord's?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 10:10 - Jun 7 with 748 viewsBloomBlue

No minute silence today at the England match, for D day on 10:05 - Jun 7 by Ewan_Oozami

D-Day not usually remembered with a minute's silence at sporting events as far as I'm aware - did they have one at Lord's?

I think we've had it at sporting events previously but only when it's a round number anniversary ie 50 years or 60 years not like this year 77. There is obviously talk about doing something very special at the 80th because the numbers who were part of it and still alive will be very small and highly unlikely any will be alive for the 90th
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024