Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defence 08:05 - Jul 23 with 1143 viewsmuccletonjoe

I think most people would agree that itfc squad is vastly improved from the one we started last season with.
Midfield is no longer the lightweight pushover we got used to seeing after Christmas last season, we have real options up front , maybe we could do with another wide man , but I could live with it.
Defence however, I don't think too many are going to be happy going into the season with nsiala, wolfenden and probably Ndaba ? . Every sucessful team is based upon a solid defence. There is no organiser in there, no leader, no one to look to under pressure.
Of course there is still time to get someone in, and , in my opinion it would ruin the good work in recruitment this summer if we can't get a centre back in to really make this team contenders.
Let's see the truth of this tomorrow.
Defence on 08:09 - Jul 23 with 1112 viewsOwainG1992

The window ends at the end of August.
Nsiala and Woolfy are more than capable to do well this year.
We need 1 more CB for me.
I'm sure the right deal will get done.
Patience.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Defence on 08:12 - Jul 23 with 1089 viewsmuccletonjoe

Defence on 08:09 - Jul 23 by OwainG1992

Patience.

I did say there was still time !
Defence on 08:23 - Jul 23 with 1046 viewsBlueBadger

Defence on 08:09 - Jul 23 by OwainG1992

Patience.

It's a defence which is 'competent' and no more. Nsialalol is not a playing we should be building the foundations of a playoff challenge on.

Thankfully there's still plenty of time.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 8:23]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Defence on 08:26 - Jul 23 with 1013 viewsKropotkin123

Defence on 08:23 - Jul 23 by BlueBadger

It's a defence which is 'competent' and no more. Nsialalol is not a playing we should be building the foundations of a playoff challenge on.

Thankfully there's still plenty of time.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 8:23]

Why the name-calling. Totally unnecessary.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 10:51]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Defence on 08:27 - Jul 23 with 1006 viewshomer_123

Defence wasn't really that big an issue last season though, was it?

With the new midfield and forward players, if we are now better are winning the ball back further up the pitch and keeping the ball for longer periods and putting the ball into the net a bit more often, there will be distinctly less pressure on our defense.

Added to that a new keeper as well.

Perversely I am less worried about the defense now - if Cook can get us playing the way he wants.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Defence on 08:33 - Jul 23 with 958 viewspointofblue

Defence on 08:27 - Jul 23 by homer_123

With the new midfield and forward players, if we are now better are winning the ball back further up the pitch and keeping the ball for longer periods and putting the ball into the net a bit more often, there will be distinctly less pressure on our defense.

Perversely I am less worried about the defense now - if Cook can get us playing the way he wants.

Defence wasn’t such an issue but we’ve since lost Chambers, Ward and McGuinness plus have consigned Kenlock to the bomb squad and have an injury prone first choice right back. We’re left with a centre back with potential but who lost a year of development after he was paired with kids throughout last season, someone who can make a serious error every game and a left back who’s probably back up at best.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Defence on 08:34 - Jul 23 with 949 viewsBlueBadger

Defence on 08:33 - Jul 23 by pointofblue

Defence wasn’t such an issue but we’ve since lost Chambers, Ward and McGuinness plus have consigned Kenlock to the bomb squad and have an injury prone first choice right back. We’re left with a centre back with potential but who lost a year of development after he was paired with kids throughout last season, someone who can make a serious error every game and a left back who’s probably back up at best.

At the moment, it's 'competent for the division, probably' not 'promotion and potentially beyond'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Defence on 08:34 - Jul 23 with 945 viewsKieran_Knows

100% agree. We really need a couple of centre backs at least, plus a left back (which I'm sure will be Coulson) and another right back.

A lot of work to do still.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Defence on 08:36 - Jul 23 with 936 viewsKropotkin123

Defence on 08:27 - Jul 23 by homer_123

Yeah, with Evans and Harper in the middle, less should get to that backline. But I still don't think it is wise to go into the season with so few CBs.

I'm expecting us to pick up a CB and I don't think this management will be looking to bring in players worse than we already have, so expecting the CB to be a starter, with Nsiala and Woolfenden competing to be a starter.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Defence on 08:37 - Jul 23 with 922 viewsMookamoo

You would assume if they haven't found anyone they want buy they will at least get some cover from a young McGuinessey type loan.

I quite like the idea of a Nsiala and Woolfenden just getting on with it without a shouty clappy 'leader' constantly berating them. Plus we will have a midfield who will be working harder to protect them.
Defence on 08:41 - Jul 23 with 889 viewsChurchman

It’s less important if we are playing further up the pitch, but like others, I think we need a good centre half. It’s the one position where a Mowbray/Wark high quality experienced player even if they’re on the way down, would fit the bill.
Defence on 08:51 - Jul 23 with 849 viewsChrisd

Personally, I'd like to see a captain like CB signed like Sonny Bradley, which we were rumoured to be interested in before he signed a new deal at Luton, an organiser who inspires and dominates and a LB - if that turns out to be Coulsen then terrific. I'm not too convinced PC needs much more than that. Would much prefer a far smaller pool of players to pick from, but with pedigree.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Defence on 10:28 - Jul 23 with 754 viewsHighgateBlue

Um, and also our player of the year, Wilson. The defence has been dismantled. I have every confidence in Cook to re-mantle it. If he goes into the season with what we have, it'll be more like Clive Mantle. Mind you, I bet he'd be a real presence in the box... Maybe more like Doreen Mantle then, for those oldtime sitcom fans...
Defence on 10:34 - Jul 23 with 734 viewsHighgateBlue

Defence on 08:34 - Jul 23 by BlueBadger

At the moment, it's 'competent for the division, probably' not 'promotion and potentially beyond'.

Do you really think so? Having finished 9th last year, then got rid of Chambers, Wilson, and McGuinness? I'm not concerned about the fullbacks, but central defence currently looks problematic to me. I don't see Toto and Wolfie as as promotion winning combo even if they both stay 100% fit. If they don't, I think we worrying lack back up. I think Cook will be aiming to bring at least one more in. It seems that for whatever reason the transfer business at CB has not gone smoothly (Bradley for example, I'm sure there have been other targets too). Hopefully Cook'll have a few irons in the fire. There's still time.
Defence on 11:06 - Jul 23 with 685 viewsWickets

Defence on 08:12 - Jul 23 by muccletonjoe

I did say there was still time !

Lets hope so as i share your worries as per your OP . But as we did try to sign Bradley we must be aware of this ?
Defence on 11:40 - Jul 23 with 634 viewsIllinoisblue

Personally would have kept chambers for another year

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024