Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... 14:54 - Jul 28 with 5024 viewsitfcjoe

57 League 1 games
25 Clean sheets

And after a dodgy performance in a friendly, some people seem to think he isn't good enough to be a sub keeper at this level....

Madness, much bigger priorities to sort than adding 2 deal to Ashton's workload

Hladky the clear number 1

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 14:59 - Jul 28 with 3678 viewsjayessess

It's sort of amazing that we had the 4th best defence in the league last season, but apparently everyone involved in it from the goalkeeper to the defensive midfielders was incompetent, as were the coaching staff and manager.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 15:02 - Jul 28 with 3642 viewsRomeo4

Completely agree. I like the idea of having a settled first-choice keeper for a change. I think Holy is more than capable of providing back up. Still expect him to play in EFL trophy games.

As you say, more important positions to concentrate on.
Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 15:14 - Jul 28 with 3528 viewsitfcjoe

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 15:02 - Jul 28 by Romeo4

Completely agree. I like the idea of having a settled first-choice keeper for a change. I think Holy is more than capable of providing back up. Still expect him to play in EFL trophy games.

If Holy plays all the cup games it wouldn't bother me, like you I prefer having a clear back up - there does need to be some carrot for Holy and 7-8 cup games a season uis that

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 15:15 - Jul 28 with 3514 viewsstopmoaning

I agree completely.
Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 15:17 - Jul 28 with 3502 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To be fair, Joe, most of those clean sheets were playing behind a team intent on keeping possession inside our own half. He didn't have an awful lot to do in many of them. He didn't inspire confidence in some games either. I would love to see a more in-depth analysis of his stats. Last night was not entirely in isolation and it was an absolutely dreadful performance.

Before last night I would have agreed he is a perfectly acceptable back up keeper so perhaps I am over-reacting to one poor performance. However, he will need to put that display behind him and perform much better if he is to be good enough.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 15:22 - Jul 28 with 3442 viewsLankHenners

Yeah I don’t see the ‘he’s dogsh1t’ argument at all. His popularity outstrips his ability but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he did end up having to play a few games if Hladky gets an injury/COVID.

As above pretty happy to have a clear number 1 and a cup ‘keeper to avoid switching that position around too much.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 15:26 - Jul 28 with 3407 viewsGarv

Completely agree. Granted a good defence accounts for a lot of those clean sheets, but he's made some outstanding saves in his time with us.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 15:33 - Jul 28 with 3363 viewsAsa

I saw a few people say that it's unfair to judge him off one friendly, but presumably most of us are judging him off a series of unconvincing performances, last night being another.

Someone on here made a great point earlier.

In the last two seasons, with Holy, we have brought in Norris - a highly rated keeper from a Premier League side, and Cornell, one of the top rated keepers in League Two.

I'd say Holy looked better than both of them during the respective seasons, so you could argue that if we got rid of him and had a backup to Hladky that the chances are a Premier League loan who may come here expecting to be number one anyway, or a top keeper from a smaller League One or League Two side would be no better than him anyway, or equally want to be number one somewhere.

As much as I dread Hladky being injured and Holy having to play any considerable role, as you suggest, he is an adequate, or more than adequate League One backup goalkeeper.
Login to get fewer ads

[Redacted] on 16:01 - Jul 28 with 3203 viewsvictorywilhappen

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 15:02 - Jul 28 by Romeo4

[Redacted]
Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:06 - Jul 28 with 3158 viewsipswichtillidie

I also suspect the back 4 and the keeper that started last night will end up all being back ups!
Hladky, KVY, Edmundson, Nsiala, Coulson and possibly another New CB will be first choice.

Gav

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:07 - Jul 28 with 3150 viewsitfcjoe

[Redacted] on 16:01 - Jul 28 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

You can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of bad games like that he's had in two seasons here - where are we going to get a quality back up that doesn't make mistakes and is happy to sit on the bench for a third tier team?

Holy is as good a backup as there will be in this league

[Redacted] on 16:13 - Jul 28 with 3089 viewsvictorywilhappen

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:07 - Jul 28 by itfcjoe

You can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of bad games like that he's had in two seasons here - where are we going to get a quality back up that doesn't make mistakes and is happy to sit on the bench for a third tier team?

Holy is as good a backup as there will be in this league

[Redacted]
Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:20 - Jul 28 with 3023 viewsjayessess

[Redacted] on 16:13 - Jul 28 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Luca Ashby-Hammond has never played a single minute of professional league football and you'd prefer him to Holy on the basis of 45 minutes in a friendly in which he conceded from the only shot on target he faced?

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:22 - Jul 28 with 3008 viewsDubtractor

Totally agree with this.

Sure, he has some real limitations to his game, but he is more than adequate to be back up in league one. Even with our increased spending power this season it is nonsense to think that we should have 2 players of real quality in every position.

The only reason to shift him and replace is if he is on a decent wage.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:30 - Jul 28 with 2968 viewsHipsterectomy

Holy was dropped pretty quickly from being our established number 1 by Lambert

Even during those games with clean sheets, players would give him absolute bolckings for maybe errors or putting us under pressure

I think he is a confidence player and that being in and out of the side has affected him, but I definitely wouldn’t be sad if he left
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 16:31]

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

[Redacted] on 16:32 - Jul 28 with 2931 viewsvictorywilhappen

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:20 - Jul 28 by jayessess

Luca Ashby-Hammond has never played a single minute of professional league football and you'd prefer him to Holy on the basis of 45 minutes in a friendly in which he conceded from the only shot on target he faced?

[Redacted]
[Redacted] on 16:41 - Jul 28 with 2857 viewsvictorywilhappen

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:30 - Jul 28 by Hipsterectomy

Holy was dropped pretty quickly from being our established number 1 by Lambert

Even during those games with clean sheets, players would give him absolute bolckings for maybe errors or putting us under pressure

I think he is a confidence player and that being in and out of the side has affected him, but I definitely wouldn’t be sad if he left
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 16:31]

[Redacted]
Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:43 - Jul 28 with 2829 viewsChrisd

I see the lad that replaced Holy at Gillingham, Jack Bonham, has now been signed by Stoke City. Holy would do a job as our No.2, but does he want that role? Surely, he wants to be playing regularly and developing as a goalkeeper? He's only going to do that through playing week in, week out.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:45 - Jul 28 with 2809 viewsHipsterectomy

[Redacted] on 16:41 - Jul 28 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Very bizarre, no comments or posts ever as well

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

[Redacted] on 16:50 - Jul 28 with 2775 viewsvictorywilhappen

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:43 - Jul 28 by Chrisd

I see the lad that replaced Holy at Gillingham, Jack Bonham, has now been signed by Stoke City. Holy would do a job as our No.2, but does he want that role? Surely, he wants to be playing regularly and developing as a goalkeeper? He's only going to do that through playing week in, week out.

[Redacted]
[Redacted] on 16:50 - Jul 28 with 2761 viewsvictorywilhappen

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:45 - Jul 28 by Hipsterectomy

[Redacted]
Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:51 - Jul 28 with 2760 viewssolemio

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:45 - Jul 28 by Hipsterectomy

? ? ?
[Redacted] on 16:52 - Jul 28 with 2748 viewsvictorywilhappen

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:51 - Jul 28 by solemio

? ? ?

[Redacted]
Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:58 - Jul 28 with 2697 viewsjayessess

[Redacted] on 16:32 - Jul 28 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

It's a pretty wild overreaction, isn't it?

Will Norris couldn't find his way above Holy in the pecking order and was a lot more experienced and more highly-rated than Ashby-Hammond is.

[Redacted] on 17:12 - Jul 28 with 2632 viewsvictorywilhappen

Tomas Holy last 2 seasons..... on 16:58 - Jul 28 by jayessess

It's a pretty wild overreaction, isn't it?

Will Norris couldn't find his way above Holy in the pecking order and was a lot more experienced and more highly-rated than Ashby-Hammond is.

[Redacted]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024