Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
[Redacted] 09:50 - Aug 2 with 2200 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 09:55 - Aug 2 with 2159 viewsChrisd

It is really positive that more high profile people are coming forward talking about their mental health, getting it out in the public domain and sharing their own experiences. Sadly, it doesn't matter what your job is and status in society, depression and anxiety doesn't discriminate.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 09:56 - Aug 2 with 2157 viewsBlueNomad

He’s a good lad. Another sports star who will hopefully help those who are struggling by being so open about his challenges.
Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 10:09 - Aug 2 with 2087 viewsEly_Blue

Classic case of imposter syndrome

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 10:12 - Aug 2 with 2071 viewsBondiBlue

Makes his performances even more impressive then.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 10:28 - Aug 2 with 2015 viewslowhouseblue

impressively he dealt with it and had 2 very good games. without that sort of toughness he wouldn't have got as far as he has - but playing for your country in international finals must be challenging. we talk about the mental side of the game on here as a reason why some skilful players don't ever progress - you must have good coping strategies to get as far as mings and do the things he has done.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 11:59 - Aug 2 with 1878 viewsRadlett_blue

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 10:28 - Aug 2 by lowhouseblue

impressively he dealt with it and had 2 very good games. without that sort of toughness he wouldn't have got as far as he has - but playing for your country in international finals must be challenging. we talk about the mental side of the game on here as a reason why some skilful players don't ever progress - you must have good coping strategies to get as far as mings and do the things he has done.

Indeed. Coping with the stress & pressure of high level sport has always been difficult. However, we need to avoid the danger of putting this type of stress in the same category as dealing with real mental illness, which is rather different.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 12:02 - Aug 2 with 1878 viewsitfcjoe

Just seems a non-story - athlete has nerves and worries about biggest games he's ever played in his life and finds way to overcome them.

Their does sometimes seem a bit of an OTT view of mental health issues, and anxiety issues, when they are just natural feelings people have in every day live and have to learn to live with.

Not having a pop at Tyrone here, fair play to him - but I'm sure every player and manager in that squad had their own issues to overcome ahead of each game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 12:04 - Aug 2 with 1860 viewslowhouseblue

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 11:59 - Aug 2 by Radlett_blue

Indeed. Coping with the stress & pressure of high level sport has always been difficult. However, we need to avoid the danger of putting this type of stress in the same category as dealing with real mental illness, which is rather different.

couldn't agree more. though clearly some players do develop serious conditions, addictions, etc - perhaps in part, along with many other things, as a result of professional pressures. i think what mings describes is much more the sort of challenges top players overcome in order to excel. criticism, doubt, crises of confidence are pretty natural i guess when you step out in front of millions of people and everyone's hopes are on you.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 12:14 - Aug 2 with 1817 viewsDarth_Koont

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 12:02 - Aug 2 by itfcjoe

Just seems a non-story - athlete has nerves and worries about biggest games he's ever played in his life and finds way to overcome them.

Their does sometimes seem a bit of an OTT view of mental health issues, and anxiety issues, when they are just natural feelings people have in every day live and have to learn to live with.

Not having a pop at Tyrone here, fair play to him - but I'm sure every player and manager in that squad had their own issues to overcome ahead of each game

No, I think this is right to call out as a mental health issue and lower the bar.

We all should be aware that mental health just like physical health is a sliding scale. And waiting until issues are officially clinical is the wrong way to go about it. As much as anything it’s about having a preventative approach rather than a reactive and treatment-based one.

Pronouns: He/Him

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 12:27 - Aug 2 with 1780 viewsChrisd

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 12:14 - Aug 2 by Darth_Koont

No, I think this is right to call out as a mental health issue and lower the bar.

We all should be aware that mental health just like physical health is a sliding scale. And waiting until issues are officially clinical is the wrong way to go about it. As much as anything it’s about having a preventative approach rather than a reactive and treatment-based one.

Exactly. How long could Mings have carried on for before going over the edge especially in those high powered games? You keep putting yourself in that situation and eventually something snaps. This is what people don't seem to understand or appreciate, there's nerves yes and I've certainly suffered with those and still do, then you have anxiety and those negative thoughts that physically stop you from even attempting something or restrict you in terms of your capability. Until you go through it , I feel it's difficult for those that haven't experienced it to really appreciate it's level of impact both physically and mentally.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 12:55 - Aug 2 with 1716 viewsitfcjoe

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 12:14 - Aug 2 by Darth_Koont

I don't disagree with that, just that surely coping strategies are what everyone does do - and that is the only way to get through things?

I'm not anti the message being out there, and if it helps people then that's great - just find it all a bit obvious. If you are struggling with something, try and find a way to make it better.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 12:56 - Aug 2 with 1710 viewslowhouseblue

trouble is as you lower the bar you dilute the meaning and it becomes all encompassing.
when people are well they cope with a whole range of bad and challenging stuff. stress, challenges to confidence, worry are a part of a normal healthy life - their presence isn't in itself an indicator of ill health. someone feeling nerves and self doubt prior to taking part in an international tournament in front of a tv audience of 30 million isn't something that should be linked to health. mings has demonstrated coping mechanisms and is clearly very robust and resilient - he doesn't seem to have any health issue but he has been through something which anyone would find tremendously challenging.

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 12:57 - Aug 2 with 1708 viewsReuser_is_God

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 12:02 - Aug 2 by itfcjoe

Totally agree.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 13:00 - Aug 2 with 1698 viewsDarth_Koont

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 12:55 - Aug 2 by itfcjoe

I don't disagree with that, just that surely coping strategies are what everyone does do - and that is the only way to get through things?

I'm not anti the message being out there, and if it helps people then that's great - just find it all a bit obvious. If you are struggling with something, try and find a way to make it better.

Sure but that’s still a world away from “man up” or similar which is still way, way too common.

I don’t even see this as an over-correction because most of us aren’t remotely honest to ourselves and each other about mental health.

Pronouns: He/Him

[Redacted] on 13:10 - Aug 2 with 1649 viewsvictorywilhappen

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 13:00 - Aug 2 by Darth_Koont

Sure but that’s still a world away from “man up” or similar which is still way, way too common.

I don’t even see this as an over-correction because most of us aren’t remotely honest to ourselves and each other about mental health.

[Redacted]
[Redacted] on 13:20 - Aug 2 with 1608 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 14:35 - Aug 2 with 1500 viewsEnigma_Blue

[Redacted] on 13:20 - Aug 2 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

If Tyrone needed to seek support then that's fine and it is good that the support he got helped him overcome the mental health issues he was suffering from.
But why does he need to tell the whole world? it's right to speak to close friends and family about such issues and to seek support from qualified professionals. It almost feels like suffering or talking about mental health these days seems like the 'in' thing to do and some celeb's wear it like a badge(not saying that's what Tyrone is doing) I myself suffered with severe mental health issues in my 20s but I didn't feel the need to let everyone know and there certainly isn't the stigma surrounding mental health these days as there was when I was growing up.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 14:36]
Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 14:42 - Aug 2 with 1467 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 14:35 - Aug 2 by Enigma_Blue

If Tyrone needed to seek support then that's fine and it is good that the support he got helped him overcome the mental health issues he was suffering from.
But why does he need to tell the whole world? it's right to speak to close friends and family about such issues and to seek support from qualified professionals. It almost feels like suffering or talking about mental health these days seems like the 'in' thing to do and some celeb's wear it like a badge(not saying that's what Tyrone is doing) I myself suffered with severe mental health issues in my 20s but I didn't feel the need to let everyone know and there certainly isn't the stigma surrounding mental health these days as there was when I was growing up.

"why does he need to tell the whole world?"

Maybe to encourage people to see mental health struggles as normal and that seeking help from experts is a good thing to do and not a sign of weakness.

Ben Stokes would be a great example of someone who has clearly faced top level struggles and overcome them however he managed them. Some of those pressure moments he has faced in the past both unsuccessfully and successfully must have been incredibly straining. And then he gets to the pint he can't manage and needs to take a break.

I think a further point that Mings is trying to make is that the public criticism from expert commentators was especially unhelpful.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

[Redacted] on 14:46 - Aug 2 with 1455 viewsvictorywilhappen

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 14:35 - Aug 2 by Enigma_Blue

[Redacted]
Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 14:56 - Aug 2 with 1412 viewsKropotkin123

"The England footballer Tyrone Mings has revealed how he struggled with mental health problems at Euro 2020, with a crisis of self-confidence leaving him feeling like 95% of the country had doubts about him."

Obviously he isn't going to read this, but in our house he was the player that got the most support and there were zero doubts about him or his ability. Every time he touch the ball one of us was shouting "OUR BOY MINGS!!". So much love for the man in our household.

Thanks for sharing the article.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 14:57 - Aug 2 with 1407 viewsEnigma_Blue

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 14:42 - Aug 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

"why does he need to tell the whole world?"

Maybe to encourage people to see mental health struggles as normal and that seeking help from experts is a good thing to do and not a sign of weakness.

Ben Stokes would be a great example of someone who has clearly faced top level struggles and overcome them however he managed them. Some of those pressure moments he has faced in the past both unsuccessfully and successfully must have been incredibly straining. And then he gets to the pint he can't manage and needs to take a break.

I think a further point that Mings is trying to make is that the public criticism from expert commentators was especially unhelpful.

"Maybe to encourage people to see mental health struggles as normal and that seeking help from experts is a good thing to do and not a sign of weakness."

Like I said there is not the stigma associated with mental issues today like there was years ago. Mental Health awareness has never been greater(adverts, MSM etc)The amount of people these days that come out and tell everyone amount their mental health struggles no matter how small just doesn't sit right with me. As someone in the thread stated there is a real danger of diluting the meaning of serious mental health issues.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 14:59]
[Redacted] on 15:11 - Aug 2 with 1374 viewsvictorywilhappen

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 14:57 - Aug 2 by Enigma_Blue

"Maybe to encourage people to see mental health struggles as normal and that seeking help from experts is a good thing to do and not a sign of weakness."

Like I said there is not the stigma associated with mental issues today like there was years ago. Mental Health awareness has never been greater(adverts, MSM etc)The amount of people these days that come out and tell everyone amount their mental health struggles no matter how small just doesn't sit right with me. As someone in the thread stated there is a real danger of diluting the meaning of serious mental health issues.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 14:59]

[Redacted]
Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 15:21 - Aug 2 with 1350 viewsEnigma_Blue

[Redacted] on 15:11 - Aug 2 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

"Waiting until the house is burning down and talking about insurance or fire prevention seems a wasted conversation at that point. Early prevention and a plan just in case is a good idea."

Sure I agree with this as my first posted clearly stated that it's important people suffering with mental health should discuss and open up to people they trust i.e close friends & family.

I just don't agree that in every scenario re mental health there should be the need for someone in the public eye to make it public.
Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 15:49 - Aug 2 with 1296 viewsParsley

Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 15:21 - Aug 2 by Enigma_Blue

"Waiting until the house is burning down and talking about insurance or fire prevention seems a wasted conversation at that point. Early prevention and a plan just in case is a good idea."

Sure I agree with this as my first posted clearly stated that it's important people suffering with mental health should discuss and open up to people they trust i.e close friends & family.

I just don't agree that in every scenario re mental health there should be the need for someone in the public eye to make it public.

Everyone has mental health, some good and some bad. This is a case of someone who has found a way of looking after their mental health, think of it like someone sharing their gym routine as an example of how they're looking after their physical health. Sure not everyone wants to read about that but for some people it will be useful/interesting.

As for why he's brought it up, it was part of an interview with the Sun. I don't know what question he was asked but he's been open about his experience and this was the thing that made headlines. He also talked about patriotism, racism, life in the England camp and how he's taken up jujitsu and piano (not expecting everyone to read the Sun article).
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 15:50]
Tyrone Mings opens up about mental health struggles at Euro 2020 on 17:28 - Aug 2 with 1199 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Agree with this 100%.

Good to shine a light on it, but nothing new.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024