Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night 10:27 - Aug 9 with 1456 viewshatch

Thoroughly recommend it if you're ever thinking of heading that direction and don't need your car. A brilliant lounge with showers on the platform at Truro and a bunk bed cabin of top quality. It also has an on board bar area with bar stools and complimentary snacks and drinks.

Set off at 2200 and arrive into Paddington around 0500 but you can stay on board until 0645. Woken with a bacon baguette and coffee.

Compared to the cost of fuel/parking/hotel for the night it's not ridiculous in price.

Has anyone ever experienced it (GWR's Night Riviera) or the Caledonian Sleeper up to Scotland?
Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 10:38 - Aug 9 with 1363 viewsUB9Blue

Sounds good, how much did it cost?
Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 10:39 - Aug 9 with 1357 viewsLord_Lucan

How much was it out of interest?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I was looking at the Caledonian sleeper.... on 10:41 - Aug 9 with 1356 viewsBloots

....for a trip up to Inverness in a couple of months.

But the pricing was outrageous, was looking at about £700 for two of us.

Went for Easyjet instead, £55 each.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

I was looking at the Caledonian sleeper.... on 10:43 - Aug 9 with 1329 viewsElderGrizzly

I was looking at the Caledonian sleeper.... on 10:41 - Aug 9 by Bloots

....for a trip up to Inverness in a couple of months.

But the pricing was outrageous, was looking at about £700 for two of us.

Went for Easyjet instead, £55 each.

Caledonian Sleeper has a woeful reputation since it got it's new trains.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/caledonian-sleeper-passenger-complaints-
Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 10:46 - Aug 9 with 1304 viewshatch

Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 10:38 - Aug 9 by UB9Blue

Sounds good, how much did it cost?

I was able to get it discounted but I think the standard price of a cabin for two is £120 (or £90 for a single cabin) and then you pay the standard rail fare on top so I think it's about £150 for one person or £240 for two.

So yes, not cheap and flying can be cheaper these days but as a one off experience/treat I'd definitely consider it - extends the holiday and there was something nice about a full day in Falmouth yesterday and then closing my eyes and waking up in London - removes the monotony of travel. And as I say, hotels down there at the moment are the same price if not more expensive.
Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 10:48 - Aug 9 with 1288 viewsbluelagos

Booked the caledonian sleeper last sept. Seat was around £60 one way, bike was free.

Got cancelled (by them) so never used it. They also do cabins that are quite expensive but offer bunks.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 10:50 - Aug 9 with 1269 viewsSwansea_Blue

Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 10:46 - Aug 9 by hatch

I was able to get it discounted but I think the standard price of a cabin for two is £120 (or £90 for a single cabin) and then you pay the standard rail fare on top so I think it's about £150 for one person or £240 for two.

So yes, not cheap and flying can be cheaper these days but as a one off experience/treat I'd definitely consider it - extends the holiday and there was something nice about a full day in Falmouth yesterday and then closing my eyes and waking up in London - removes the monotony of travel. And as I say, hotels down there at the moment are the same price if not more expensive.

My Mrs has got into rail travel. We caught a sleeper to Vienna pre-Covid and then worked around to Slovenia and back through Italy & the Alps in Switzerland. A great way to get about, as you say. Next trip will be a sleeper up to Stockholm and then a Scandinavian tour by train.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I was looking at the Caledonian sleeper.... on 10:54 - Aug 9 with 1231 viewsunstableblue

I was looking at the Caledonian sleeper.... on 10:43 - Aug 9 by ElderGrizzly

Caledonian Sleeper has a woeful reputation since it got it's new trains.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/caledonian-sleeper-passenger-complaints-

I went on the old trains for a cycling trip... and they were very tired, worst breakfast ever (in cabin, rather than buffet car) but beds were comfortable.

Was looking forward to trying the new one... but sounds like Serco are currently failing on quality of service.

Will hopefully improve

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 10:55 - Aug 9 with 1222 viewsLord_Lucan

Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 10:48 - Aug 9 by bluelagos

Booked the caledonian sleeper last sept. Seat was around £60 one way, bike was free.

Got cancelled (by them) so never used it. They also do cabins that are quite expensive but offer bunks.

Can't you take your motorbike on a plane?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 10:56 - Aug 9 with 1219 viewstractordownsouth

I did it once but stupidly didn't book a cabin and thought it would be alright to sleep on the seats. Don't do that.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 11:01 - Aug 9 with 1177 viewsbluelagos

Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 10:55 - Aug 9 by Lord_Lucan

Can't you take your motorbike on a plane?

There are a few European trains that take motorbikes as it goes. Dusseldorf to the Alps is one available. You used to be able to take a car on the Sncf too for skiing trips i think.

Never done it, was around £500 for rider plus motorbike last time I looked.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 11:06 - Aug 9 with 1145 viewsOldsmoker

I caught the Paddington to Penzance Sleeper 3 times in the 80's.
It was for business purposes.
The train then was half-sleeper half-mail train.
The mail-train portion was the Royal Mail sorting office on wheels.
It stopped at the big cities to dump and load mail.
The guard would still blow his whistle to start the train off from stations even at 3am.
I always missed the scenic part of the journey but once woke up at Par so I got to see the coast for a brief time.
The old-fashioned sleeper compartments were wood-lined and still had pre-BR logos on the taps and sink. There's a distinctive smell to BR soap.
Coffee and toast in the morning.
Loved it.
The journey back was crowded with sailors from Plymouth onwards all the way back to London. Free Cigs and beer were always given freely by the Navy guys but they were really noisy as this was the start of their days off and they were going to party no matter what.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Caught the sleeper train from Cornwall to London last night on 11:18 - Aug 9 with 1085 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Drove to Plymouth recently, 5hr trip from Cambridge, no stops. Then a few days later to Edinburgh, 7hrs which included a dash to Sainsbury Gateshead where I destroyed their toilet.

Both easy drives, stop when you like, no having to share with members of the public, my preferred method of travel always.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024