Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching Mike Parry on climate change 10:12 - Aug 9 with 2608 viewsbluelagos

Claiming that the jury is still out ref climate change. He just quoted the romans growing vinyards in Northumbria.

Am wondering at what point do some people actually wake up to the issue? When their homes are flooded or surrounded by bush fires?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:14 - Aug 9 with 2572 viewsElderGrizzly

Even then, they will deny it is climate change.

Normally when it snows in Texas and then they say "I thought we had global warming"

Some are beyond hope. It will be the same people with Covid denial, Immigration etc etc
Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:17 - Aug 9 with 2554 viewsbluelagos

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:14 - Aug 9 by ElderGrizzly

Normally when it snows in Texas and then they say "I thought we had global warming"

Some are beyond hope. It will be the same people with Covid denial, Immigration etc etc

Now he's asking "what happens if the sun doesn't shine? ref solar panels

Genius.

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:19 - Aug 9 with 2525 viewsElderGrizzly

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:17 - Aug 9 by bluelagos

Now he's asking "what happens if the sun doesn't shine? ref solar panels

Genius.

Simply, people like this shouldn't be given airtime.

Balance doesn't mean giving airtime to the dangerously ignorant
This is Mike Parry..... on 10:21 - Aug 9 with 2522 viewsBloots

.....you are talking about, I wouldn't take him too seriously.

This is the man that once predicted a man would run the 100m in under one second.

And also said that Horse Racing would be improved if the horses wore wing mirrors.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:21 - Aug 9 with 2514 viewsDanTheMan

Is there anyone challenging him?

Honestly I'm sick of trying to educate people on this. The idea that the jury is still out on this is absolutely mind boggling.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:23 - Aug 9 with 2492 viewsbluelagos

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:19 - Aug 9 by ElderGrizzly

It' like listening to a pub bore whose opinionated bollox is exactly that and nothing is going to stop him sprouting it to anyone who cares to listen to it.

Ironically am only watching cos of the unseasonal weather!

This is Mike Parry..... on 10:23 - Aug 9 with 2492 viewschicoazul

This is Mike Parry..... on 10:21 - Aug 9 by Bloots

This is the man that once predicted a man would run the 100m in under one second.

And also said that Horse Racing would be improved if the horses wore wing mirrors.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This is Mike Parry..... on 10:26 - Aug 9 with 2469 viewsbluelagos

Wing mirrors? Presume they could do the same on track cycling though the crashes were entertaining if a tad bruising for all concerned

Login to get fewer ads

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:27 - Aug 9 with 2462 viewsJakeITFC

At some point disinformation like this just has to become illegal.
Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:32 - Aug 9 with 2426 viewsbluelagos

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:21 - Aug 9 by DanTheMan

Is there anyone challenging him?

Honestly I'm sick of trying to educate people on this. The idea that the jury is still out on this is absolutely mind boggling.

Is ok, they have moved onto an Alpaca being put down.

As a bonus, I have now worked out why too much daytime tv can turn you mental.

This is Mike Parry..... on 11:11 - Aug 9 with 2306 viewsGlasgowBlue

And inflatable jockeys to take over when a rider fell at a jump.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 11:40 - Aug 9 with 2231 viewsleitrimblue

Think the Romans struggled to grow vineyards anywhere north of Cambridgeshire. Even that was such poor quality that the majority of wine drunk in Roman Britain was still imported from the med.
Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 12:05 - Aug 9 with 2143 viewsMerseyBlue

The man is a dangerous moron. A few years ago I worked nights and discovered that he had a show with Mike Graham on TalkSport in the dead of night. It took a few days to realise it wasn't satire but some of the stuff they'd come out with was just bewildering.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 12:12 - Aug 9 with 2118 viewsFPL_Tractor

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:19 - Aug 9 by ElderGrizzly

These people should be treated in the same way flat-earthers are.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 12:15 - Aug 9 with 2109 viewsMerseyBlue

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 12:12 - Aug 9 by FPL_Tractor

These people should be treated in the same way flat-earthers are.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 13:12 - Aug 9 with 2002 viewsIpswichKnight

He’s a penny shop Piers Morgan both of whom crave publicity and will say anything to get you to look at them, ignore them and cut off the oxygen of publicity they crave.
Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 14:19 - Aug 9 with 1951 viewsDarth_Koont

Shouldn’t we be respecting his opinion and the legitimacy of his argument?

That’s surely more important than an overheating, burning planet.

Pronouns: He/Him

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 14:53 - Aug 9 with 1893 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 10:14 - Aug 9 by ElderGrizzly

There is a distinct lack of understanding but that is partly because it is far from straightforward.

The fact that there are different models giving different predictions and that our understanding of climate and weather is far from complete play into it.

There is the fact that there have been extreme weather events throughout recorded history which doesn't help either.

As a scientist I accept there is clear evidence of the Greenhouse Effect and the implications of increased greenhouse gas emissions. Global warming also has plenty of evidence behind it. Climate change is where the implications are less clear. However, it is so obviously in our interests to err on the cautious side. Unfortunately the balance of power lies with the rich and much of this is based on a carbon economy. There are far too many with too low a level of scientific literacy that their interests are easily furthered.

Surely this is a big argument for the importance of science education too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 14:58 - Aug 9 with 1878 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 12:15 - Aug 9 by MerseyBlue

Isn't it strange that we can see all the other planets that are visible through a telescope are spherical and yet the Earth would be flat (despite the obviously doctored photographs of from space from multiple sources)?

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 21:05 - Aug 9 with 1772 viewsDanTheMan

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 14:53 - Aug 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

There is a distinct lack of understanding but that is partly because it is far from straightforward.

The fact that there are different models giving different predictions and that our understanding of climate and weather is far from complete play into it.

There is the fact that there have been extreme weather events throughout recorded history which doesn't help either.

As a scientist I accept there is clear evidence of the Greenhouse Effect and the implications of increased greenhouse gas emissions. Global warming also has plenty of evidence behind it. Climate change is where the implications are less clear. However, it is so obviously in our interests to err on the cautious side. Unfortunately the balance of power lies with the rich and much of this is based on a carbon economy. There are far too many with too low a level of scientific literacy that their interests are easily furthered.

Surely this is a big argument for the importance of science education too.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here but what specifically are you talking about when you say "Climate change is where the implications are less clear."?

My understanding is that, especially following the IPCC report, the implications are pretty damn clear.

I'd also argue that these weather events happening throughout history being irrelevant when most of what I've seen, especially recently, is that it's the frequency of these events that's the real concern, which is something that was specifically predicted to happen.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 21:09 - Aug 9 with 1750 viewsWD19

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 14:19 - Aug 9 by Darth_Koont

Shouldn’t we be respecting his opinion and the legitimacy of his argument?

That’s surely more important than an overheating, burning planet.

He probably wouldn’t wear a mask on the concourse either.
Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 21:13 - Aug 9 with 1737 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 21:05 - Aug 9 by DanTheMan

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here but what specifically are you talking about when you say "Climate change is where the implications are less clear."?

My understanding is that, especially following the IPCC report, the implications are pretty damn clear.

I'd also argue that these weather events happening throughout history being irrelevant when most of what I've seen, especially recently, is that it's the frequency of these events that's the real concern, which is something that was specifically predicted to happen.

The IPCC should certainly be taken seriously. However, there is a range of scientific predictions from a range of bodies. Unfortunately, those determined to keep their heads in the sand will look at the best case reports and dismiss the worst case ones as simply alarmist. Since it is a complex prediction, it is impossible to be specific and certain (that is the nature of science), As I say, one of the biggest problems is the lack of scientific literacy amongst policymakers and voters.

I think there should be clear publishing of the greater frequency of the events. I agree with you that it is what should raise concern. I am simply explaining why it does not among too many.

In short, I agree with you. However, as with so much politically, it is depressing that those who matter too often will not.

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 21:22 - Aug 9 with 1706 viewsMerseyBlue

Watching Mike Parry on climate change on 14:58 - Aug 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

Isn't it strange that we can see all the other planets that are visible through a telescope are spherical and yet the Earth would be flat (despite the obviously doctored photographs of from space from multiple sources)?

You've got it all wrong, Michelangelo painted all those on after he finished mucking about with the sistine chapel.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024