Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sobering thought for Paul Cook. 22:48 - Aug 28 with 1751 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Ashton and O'Leary work off a statistics based model and at a win rate of just 19% Cook currently has (excluding caretakers) the worst win percentage of any Ipswich manager ever, bar Hurst at 6.7%.

But don't worry, our social media team are off the scale and our players are hilarious doing Coffee Break Videos.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2021 23:00]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 23:20 - Aug 28 with 1615 viewsFixed_It

I have no idea if you are trying to be a Bluefish tribute act or a Badger tribute act. Either way - you're not as good as them.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 23:48 - Aug 28 with 1498 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 23:20 - Aug 28 by Fixed_It

I have no idea if you are trying to be a Bluefish tribute act or a Badger tribute act. Either way - you're not as good as them.

Niether. I'm just really effed off with how it's going.

Seriously. Just seriously poor coaching against bog standard league one teams. It is not good enough. But there is no surprises here. The coaching jobs for the boys mentality is clearly costing us. Fine, keep your mates around you if that's what you need but bring someone in to sort out the way we defend as team because it's the same mistakes every week.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 01:23 - Aug 29 with 1281 viewsArnieM

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 23:48 - Aug 28 by OriginalMarkyP

Seriously. Just seriously poor coaching against bog standard league one teams. It is not good enough. But there is no surprises here. The coaching jobs for the boys mentality is clearly costing us. Fine, keep your mates around you if that's what you need but bring someone in to sort out the way we defend as team because it's the same mistakes every week.

Perish the thought that the players actually take any responsibility for their mistakes eh!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 04:17 - Aug 29 with 1178 viewsitfcsuth

We can analyse and coach until the cows come home, but if a player makes a genuine individual error, there is little that can be done on the training ground to stop that - it’s human error.

I don’t think we need to go around call other sides “bog standard League One teams”, very disrespectful.

Every single side in this division are competitive and well organised, results show this week after week with results that raise an eyebrow.

Still think there is an underlying mentality throughout some of our fan base that we should be rolling teams over in first gear week after week.
Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 09:26 - Aug 29 with 851 viewsLeoMuff

We are 5 leagues in from a complete squad and back room rebuild, it was never going to be plain sailing initially. What is the alternative? Sack Cook ? after allowing him to bring in a whole new squad, not going to happen.

We just need to give them time, we haven’t even seen our best defender yet..

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 09:36 - Aug 29 with 788 viewsWickets

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 04:17 - Aug 29 by itfcsuth

We can analyse and coach until the cows come home, but if a player makes a genuine individual error, there is little that can be done on the training ground to stop that - it’s human error.

I don’t think we need to go around call other sides “bog standard League One teams”, very disrespectful.

Every single side in this division are competitive and well organised, results show this week after week with results that raise an eyebrow.

Still think there is an underlying mentality throughout some of our fan base that we should be rolling teams over in first gear week after week.

There is a lot in what you say and i more or less agree but the absolute chaos regarding our changes yesterday did nothing to inspire confidence yesterday and just added to the stoppage time . That was not down to the players .
Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 09:40 - Aug 29 with 762 viewspatrickswell

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 04:17 - Aug 29 by itfcsuth

I don't think the fans can be held accountable for looking at the first 5 fixtures and thinking, "Well we should have enough to win a couple of those games." Instead, we have a whole new squad which seems determined to continue the laissez-faire attitude of their predecessors to winning football matches and a manager who thinks it's acceptable to still be in pre-season mode at the end of August.
Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 09:41 - Aug 29 with 760 viewsHighgateBlue

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 23:20 - Aug 28 by Fixed_It

Is this a forum for discussing the performance of a football team on the pitch, or for discussing the performance of individual football fans on a message board?

Personally I find the stat cited as sobering, worrying, and legitimate to raise.
Login to get fewer ads

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 09:43 - Aug 29 with 730 viewschrismakin

I don't think it will come into their thoughts.

They will based any decision on this season alone.

You can't go letting a manager change the squad that much if you're worried based on last season. You'd have made the change before spending.

Think PC will be given till October to show signs of the tide turning and if not.. then he will go like Hurst did.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 09:48 - Aug 29 with 709 viewsDarth_Koont

Results haven’t been good enough, of course.

But after committing to a complete rebuild, Ashton and O’Leary won’t bundle this season and last together. If they really are working from a statistics model.

Overall performances generally aren’t leading to the wins we could easily be getting instead of draws. I’d be interested to see which particular stats stand out to explain that.

Pronouns: He/Him

Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 10:10 - Aug 29 with 639 viewsThe_Realist_09

I'd like to think a statistics based model looks at deeper levels of data than just win percentage. That doesn't take much of a model to analyse.

We do seem to have a defensive issue atm, but I don't think these owners will be rash. They know Cooks record and they've trusted him enough to build him a whole new squad.
Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 10:13 - Aug 29 with 622 viewsglasso

I don't really understand the dig at the social media team.

We're not performing on the pitch, which is bad. Other areas of the club - social media, general marketing, connecting the fans and the team a bit better - is all going really well.

I'd rather that than us being crap on the field and also crap at everything else, which is where we've been for the past ten years.

If you can't be pleased that there are green shoots elsewhere in the club - better recruitment, incredible shirt sales, great attendances etc - then that's just a bit weird.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2021 16:09]
Sobering thought for Paul Cook. on 10:23 - Aug 29 with 589 viewsSouthfieldsBlue

So they probably do use statistics, but not stuff on just pure win rate, that's not exactly any more informative than how many have you won recently. They might well use xG though, which tells a different tale of our season so far.

https://experimental361.com/2021/08/29/expected-goals-table-league-1-28-aug-2021

Basically 4 draws and a solitary win putting us ninth, not brilliant by any stretch, but makes the third biggest attacking threat in the division and broadly middling in defence. Eyeballing the xG timelines as well suggests without Hladky's fumble it would be 2 wins, giving someone a free shot 2 yards out with your keeper on the floor gives a big xG spike. Yes Cook needs to improve, but the performance's have not been disastrous, we need to to tighten up the defence a bit but we can score goals and the defensive organisation should come in time. If we are still this underperforming the data 11 games in I would have serious concerns, till then I'm happy for things to play out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024