Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coulson vs Penney 18:14 - Aug 21 with 1472 viewsKeaneish

It’s going to be a fascinating tussle for that shirt this season. Coulson looked rusty today for obvious reasons but Penney’s goal on Tuesday and his incisive ball forward to start the move for the second give him the edge for me at the moment.

He’s starting to whip balls into the box earlier too.

Thoughts?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Coulson vs Penney on 18:16 - Aug 21 with 1440 viewspointofblue

Agreed. I can see why Cook made the switch - for all his positives Penney has been at least partly to blame for Morecambe's second goal (poor pass back), Burton's winner (gave away the penalty) and Cheltenham's equaliser (beaten easily at far post) but he is far more incisive moving forward. Then again it is early days for Coulson.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Coulson vs Penney on 18:17 - Aug 21 with 1438 viewsHerbivore

Can Coulson defend? Because I'm not sure Penney can from what I've seen so far.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Coulson vs Penney on 18:19 - Aug 21 with 1411 viewsJDB23

Coulson vs Penney on 18:17 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

He got done a few times today and generally looked quite weak, but again that could be him still recovering. Going forward he barely offered anything. So far I don't think either of them have made a claim to be nailed on starters.
Coulson vs Penney on 18:24 - Aug 21 with 1376 viewsKeaneish

His positioning was way off today. Several times Burgess had to come across and cover for him. On more than one occasion he found himself in good space going forward only to run out of ideas or lose possession for them to counter. A few last ditch blocks saved him but it wasn’t a great debut and Cook made the right call.

Coulson vs Penney on 18:26 - Aug 21 with 1351 viewspointofblue

Coulson vs Penney on 18:24 - Aug 21 by Keaneish

His positioning was way off today. Several times Burgess had to come across and cover for him. On more than one occasion he found himself in good space going forward only to run out of ideas or lose possession for them to counter. A few last ditch blocks saved him but it wasn’t a great debut and Cook made the right call.

Coulson's positioning was bizarre - I can only think he was told to drop in and cover off Parrott because otherwise how can a left back find himself in field so often?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Coulson vs Penney on 18:28 - Aug 21 with 1330 viewsHerbivore

Coulson vs Penney on 18:24 - Aug 21 by Keaneish

Hopefully it's just rust, he's played a decent amount of Championship football so you'd hope he will improve us when fully fit. I do worry that we have full backs both sides who are better going forward than they are defending. If you've got someone like a Skuse sitting in midfield you can get away with it as he would know when to drop in and cover, but that's not really Harper and Evans' game. I think our balance is a touch off at the minute.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Coulson vs Penney on 18:28 - Aug 21 with 1333 viewsKeaneish

Coulson vs Penney on 18:16 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

Agreed. I can see why Cook made the switch - for all his positives Penney has been at least partly to blame for Morecambe's second goal (poor pass back), Burton's winner (gave away the penalty) and Cheltenham's equaliser (beaten easily at far post) but he is far more incisive moving forward. Then again it is early days for Coulson.

I can forgive him for the pass to Wolfenden against Morecambe - Wolfe den had plenty of options to deal with it and it wasn’t really an issue until he chose to shape up that way and take a touch. Burton was a little harsh as we shouldn’t be losing possession where we did to expose him needing to come back like that and we had plenty of bodies to deal with the threat earlier. No doubt at Cheltenham he should have done better.

Coulson vs Penney on 18:28 - Aug 21 with 1324 viewsBelsteadCav

Penny definitely better going forward

We might not have to wait, If Coulson injury is bad

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Login to get fewer ads

Coulson vs Penney on 18:29 - Aug 21 with 1322 viewsJDB23

Coulson vs Penney on 18:26 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

Coulson's positioning was bizarre - I can only think he was told to drop in and cover off Parrott because otherwise how can a left back find himself in field so often?

Was a bit strange, at times I thought we were playing with a back 3. Straight down the tunnel when he went off so I suspect something is not quite right with him.
Coulson vs Penney on 18:35 - Aug 21 with 1288 viewsKeaneish

Coulson vs Penney on 18:28 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

Hopefully it's just rust, he's played a decent amount of Championship football so you'd hope he will improve us when fully fit. I do worry that we have full backs both sides who are better going forward than they are defending. If you've got someone like a Skuse sitting in midfield you can get away with it as he would know when to drop in and cover, but that's not really Harper and Evans' game. I think our balance is a touch off at the minute.

Agreed. I said in another thread Cook may experiment with a three man mid soon as it gives us more cover and better options from the back. It’ll allow Penney and KVY a bit more license and possibly compensate for the gaps. This would have to be at the sacrifice of Fraser though, which I’m not that adverse to. He’s been integral to a lot of key moves which is great but I’d like to see more from him around the box - seems to go missing a lot ala Dozzell.

Coulson vs Penney on 18:44 - Aug 21 with 1254 viewsVic

I thought Penney added control and got forward with more end product than Coulson. The latter gave the ball away several times, it credit to MKD for that as they pressed very well.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Coulson vs Penney on 18:54 - Aug 21 with 1221 viewsDarth_Koont

Coulson vs Penney on 18:26 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

Agreed. He looked to be playing as a free defender as he was rarely in the left back position.

Not criticising it as it worked for the most part. And certainly an interesting approach.

Pronouns: He/Him

Coulson vs Penney on 19:32 - Aug 21 with 1130 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I’m not going to judge him based on one game but if we are going to play a loanee over one of our own he needs to be a significant upgrade. I didn’t see that based on today but it is very early days.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Coulson vs Penney on 19:36 - Aug 21 with 1111 viewschrismakin

Coulson won't play for a while I think. Knees fked

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Coulson vs Penney on 20:16 - Aug 21 with 1048 viewsnshearman1

Coulson vs Penney on 18:28 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

Agreed. If we can't defend, we're unlikely to get out of this League.
Coulson vs Penney on 11:41 - Oct 8 with 631 viewsMarkoW1

Has Coulson been known for injuries?
Defend or not, he’s only finished 1 game out of the 4 he’s started
Coulson vs Penney on 12:02 - Oct 8 with 594 viewsMarkoW1

Penney for me
Coulson vs Penney on 12:10 - Oct 8 with 576 viewsMarkoW1

Coulson vs Penney on 18:44 - Aug 21 by Vic

I thought Penney added control and got forward with more end product than Coulson. The latter gave the ball away several times, it credit to MKD for that as they pressed very well.

Penney drives forward more than Coulson
Plus he’s fitter and more physically built
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024