Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunlit uplands 08:39 - Oct 28 with 1521 viewsHerbivore

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59070020.amp

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sunlit uplands on 08:41 - Oct 28 with 1131 viewsElderGrizzly

Sshhh

He knocked 3p off a pint of beer and gave billions in tax breaks to banks yesterday.

Are you not satisfied? :)
Sunlit uplands on 08:44 - Oct 28 with 1107 viewsStokieBlue

So Brexit is worse for the economy than a pandemic which actually shut down the economy and forced many close to bankruptcy.

That'll be an interesting one for the pro-Brexit but anti-lockdown "for economic reasons" thinkers to square.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Sunlit uplands on 08:46 - Oct 28 with 1092 viewsKeno

Sunlit uplands on 08:41 - Oct 28 by ElderGrizzly

Sshhh

He knocked 3p off a pint of beer and gave billions in tax breaks to banks yesterday.

Are you not satisfied? :)

pah thats nothing!!

We could have have world leading inflation soon, that'll show those Euro lot whose best!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Sunlit uplands on 08:57 - Oct 28 with 1040 viewsElderGrizzly

Sunlit uplands on 08:46 - Oct 28 by Keno

pah thats nothing!!

We could have have world leading inflation soon, that'll show those Euro lot whose best!!

Don't forget the tax burden on UK households

Sunlit uplands on 09:08 - Oct 28 with 1034 viewsMullet

There’s been some really interesting chat in education circles too. Teachers’ wages have decreased 17% on average in real terms under these lot. I wonder how that compares to other industries, but given the swift shift in rhetoric about us during the pandemic it’s interesting that like NHS staff, lip service is the main currency on offer.

More worryingly beyond the retention crisis and ludicrous system of offering bursaries for shortage subjects some years and not others, let alone across the profession is the lack of funding. It’s at about a third of what their own tsar recommended. If I remember correctly they’re laying out £5b and the minimum required is £15b.

The most cynical is bringing back a fraction of the Labour initiatives they demolished under austerity (and envy) such as SureStart and are presenting these as new packages.

When you then add that into all the issues across other industries from haulage to healthcare to farming etc. It’s amazing we’ve not jailed these parasites, let alone keep them in power.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2021 9:14]

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Sunlit uplands on 09:10 - Oct 28 with 1020 viewsElderGrizzly

Sunlit uplands on 09:08 - Oct 28 by Mullet

There’s been some really interesting chat in education circles too. Teachers’ wages have decreased 17% on average in real terms under these lot. I wonder how that compares to other industries, but given the swift shift in rhetoric about us during the pandemic it’s interesting that like NHS staff, lip service is the main currency on offer.

More worryingly beyond the retention crisis and ludicrous system of offering bursaries for shortage subjects some years and not others, let alone across the profession is the lack of funding. It’s at about a third of what their own tsar recommended. If I remember correctly they’re laying out £5b and the minimum required is £15b.

The most cynical is bringing back a fraction of the Labour initiatives they demolished under austerity (and envy) such as SureStart and are presenting these as new packages.

When you then add that into all the issues across other industries from haulage to healthcare to farming etc. It’s amazing we’ve not jailed these parasites, let alone keep them in power.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2021 9:14]

Apparently it's all false and 'the libs' are being outflanked

SureStart did make me particularly angry. A brilliant scheme some of my colleagues were involved in setting up and completely dismantled by this shower without a care in the world.
Sunlit uplands on 09:25 - Oct 28 with 966 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sunlit uplands on 09:10 - Oct 28 by ElderGrizzly

Apparently it's all false and 'the libs' are being outflanked

SureStart did make me particularly angry. A brilliant scheme some of my colleagues were involved in setting up and completely dismantled by this shower without a care in the world.

Yep, Sure Start is but one example of where the announcements and pledges to increase new schemesand/or spending fall short of what was in place when they took power 11 yrs ago.

And don’t even start me on the pathetic ‘levelling up’ funds. Less than 20% of what Wales used to get from the EU and, of course, Tory constituencies are getting more than their fare share.

No idea what Dan Hodges is on about there.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sunlit uplands on 09:28 - Oct 28 with 943 viewslowhouseblue

Sunlit uplands on 09:25 - Oct 28 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, Sure Start is but one example of where the announcements and pledges to increase new schemesand/or spending fall short of what was in place when they took power 11 yrs ago.

And don’t even start me on the pathetic ‘levelling up’ funds. Less than 20% of what Wales used to get from the EU and, of course, Tory constituencies are getting more than their fare share.

No idea what Dan Hodges is on about there.

i think hodges is making the point that when taxation and spending are at their highest rate as a % of GDP in 70 years you need a new attack line other than same old austerity tories.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2021 9:29]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Sunlit uplands on 09:29 - Oct 28 with 936 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Sunlit uplands on 08:44 - Oct 28 by StokieBlue

So Brexit is worse for the economy than a pandemic which actually shut down the economy and forced many close to bankruptcy.

That'll be an interesting one for the pro-Brexit but anti-lockdown "for economic reasons" thinkers to square.

SB

When I had a quick read about this earlier it stated....

"Fiscal watchdog says Brexit would cut GDP by around 4% long term, while Covid impacts would hit output by a further 2%."

....which rather suggests that it is in relation to going forward and not about cumulative impact which might suggest that your assertion is inaccurate.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Sunlit uplands on 09:32 - Oct 28 with 901 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Sunlit uplands on 08:57 - Oct 28 by ElderGrizzly

The biggest hike in taxes since Clarke and Lamont in 1993......but Corbyn/Labour!

Sunlit uplands on 09:32 - Oct 28 with 904 viewsMullet

Sunlit uplands on 09:28 - Oct 28 by lowhouseblue

i think hodges is making the point that when taxation and spending are at their highest rate as a % of GDP in 70 years you need a new attack line other than same old austerity tories.

There shouldn’t need to be when they w had their snouts in the trough. Openly corrupt and stealing from the public purse.

Let alone the fact they’re emboldened enough to believe that literally dumping sh1t everywhere was ok.

Hodges is one of several happy to aid them too, so I’m not sure he is worth holding in much regard.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Sunlit uplands on 09:37 - Oct 28 with 867 viewsHerbivore

Sunlit uplands on 09:32 - Oct 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

The biggest hike in taxes since Clarke and Lamont in 1993......but Corbyn/Labour!

Got to fund that financial relief for the bankers from somewhere.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sunlit uplands on 09:39 - Oct 28 with 856 viewsStokieBlue

Sunlit uplands on 09:29 - Oct 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

When I had a quick read about this earlier it stated....

"Fiscal watchdog says Brexit would cut GDP by around 4% long term, while Covid impacts would hit output by a further 2%."

....which rather suggests that it is in relation to going forward and not about cumulative impact which might suggest that your assertion is inaccurate.

Well my assertion would be inaccurate if it was anything like you are claiming but it wasn't. I'll explain again.

How can one be worried about the economic impact of lockdown at 2% when they aren't worried about the economic impact of Brexit at 4%?

The two positions are in my opinion mutually exclusive and highlight again that many people didn't really think through Brexit before voting.

SB

Sunlit uplands on 09:39 - Oct 28 with 854 viewslowhouseblue

Sunlit uplands on 09:32 - Oct 28 by Mullet

There shouldn’t need to be when they w had their snouts in the trough. Openly corrupt and stealing from the public purse.

Let alone the fact they’re emboldened enough to believe that literally dumping sh1t everywhere was ok.

Hodges is one of several happy to aid them too, so I’m not sure he is worth holding in much regard.

again, the nasty party line doesn't work - most of the electors like them. the over the top 'scum', snouts in the trough, posh friends line has almost no traction with the public. almost everyone has stopped listening to it.

the attack that will do for the tories in the end is their complete incompetence. high spending and high tax aren't leading to greater prosperity because we have very low growth. economic incompetence and rising living costs are much more likely to get a response from voters.

the polling on yesterday's budget is that it was unusually (for a budget) popular. it has majority approval amongst 2019 labour voters.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Sunlit uplands on 09:41 - Oct 28 with 836 viewsStokieBlue

Sunlit uplands on 09:39 - Oct 28 by lowhouseblue

again, the nasty party line doesn't work - most of the electors like them. the over the top 'scum', snouts in the trough, posh friends line has almost no traction with the public. almost everyone has stopped listening to it.

the attack that will do for the tories in the end is their complete incompetence. high spending and high tax aren't leading to greater prosperity because we have very low growth. economic incompetence and rising living costs are much more likely to get a response from voters.

the polling on yesterday's budget is that it was unusually (for a budget) popular. it has majority approval amongst 2019 labour voters.

All this proves is that our education system has failed to teach the critical thinking skills required in the age of fake news and outright lies.

Given it works to the Tories advantage I doubt it'll be something that changes any time soon.

SB

Sunlit uplands on 09:44 - Oct 28 with 817 viewslowhouseblue

Sunlit uplands on 09:41 - Oct 28 by StokieBlue

All this proves is that our education system has failed to teach the critical thinking skills required in the age of fake news and outright lies.

Given it works to the Tories advantage I doubt it'll be something that changes any time soon.

SB

maybe, but in terms of winning elections telling people who don't yet agree with you that they are uneducated is a brave strategy.

one of the challenges for labour is actually to like the people that it wants to vote for it.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2021 9:57]

Sunlit uplands on 09:47 - Oct 28 with 801 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Sunlit uplands on 09:39 - Oct 28 by StokieBlue

Well my assertion would be inaccurate if it was anything like you are claiming but it wasn't. I'll explain again.

How can one be worried about the economic impact of lockdown at 2% when they aren't worried about the economic impact of Brexit at 4%?

The two positions are in my opinion mutually exclusive and highlight again that many people didn't really think through Brexit before voting.

SB

You see that word "further?" It suggests that in terms of total impact your assertion...
" So Brexit is worse for the economy than a pandemic "....
may be inaccurate depending on what the previous percentage impact of the pandemic was.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2021 9:49]

Sunlit uplands on 09:48 - Oct 28 with 801 viewschicoazul

This may not be what you’re saying Herbs but I don’t think the people who voted Leave did so because they thought they would be richer.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Sunlit uplands on 09:49 - Oct 28 with 789 viewschicoazul

Sunlit uplands on 08:57 - Oct 28 by ElderGrizzly

We are a mid to high tax nation I agree. And I agree it’s too high.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Sunlit uplands on 09:51 - Oct 28 with 776 viewsEwan_Oozami

Sunlit uplands on 09:44 - Oct 28 by lowhouseblue

maybe, but in terms of winning elections telling people who don't yet agree with you that they are uneducated is a brave strategy.

one of the challenges for labour is actually to like the people that it wants to vote for it.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2021 9:57]

Works for the Tories though....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Sunlit uplands on 09:52 - Oct 28 with 774 viewschicoazul

Sunlit uplands on 09:41 - Oct 28 by StokieBlue

SB

People are stupid
Comprehensive education is brilliant and teachers are super stars

Pick one

Sunlit uplands on 09:56 - Oct 28 with 744 viewsStokieBlue

Sunlit uplands on 09:47 - Oct 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

You see that word "further?" It suggests that in terms of total impact your assertion...
" So Brexit is worse for the economy than a pandemic "....
may be inaccurate depending on what the previous percentage impact of the pandemic was.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2021 9:49]

You're reading it wrong. The "further" means on top of the Brexit reduction, not on top of a Brexit + Initial Pandemic Costs reduction.

He literally is quoted saying it on the next line:

"In the long term it is the case that Brexit has a bigger impact than the pandemic"

I'm uncertain of your actual point to be honest, you don't seem to have made one above trying and failing to pick holes in my posts. Are you defending the Brexiteers or arguing that his assessment of the cost of the pandemic is incorrect?

SB

Sunlit uplands on 09:58 - Oct 28 with 729 viewsStokieBlue

Sunlit uplands on 09:52 - Oct 28 by chicoazul

People are stupid
Comprehensive education is brilliant and teachers are super stars

Pick one

Why should I pick one?

Neither of those things are what I said, although it doesn't surprise me you try and lead the discussion away from what was actually said.

SB

Sunlit uplands on 09:58 - Oct 28 with 720 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sunlit uplands on 09:28 - Oct 28 by lowhouseblue

Isn't that the highest in 70 years only because of the cost of the pandemic and the record drop in GDP in 2020? The wider picture is that most government department budgets in real terms are still lower than they were pre-2010 despite rising costs.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sunlit uplands on 09:59 - Oct 28 with 701 viewsDurovigutum

Sunlit uplands on 09:51 - Oct 28 by Ewan_Oozami

Works for the Tories though....

When people make a decision it becomes a possession. I voted leave, don't tell me I was wrong. I will take my decision, polish it and put it on a shelf to admire. I voted Tory, don't tell me I was wrong, they are just attacking that nice Boris because they don't like him. Reason and logic don't win the argument, a better prospect does. This is what Kinnock failed with in 92 but Blair managed in 97 - it will be better because...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024