Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team 09:40 - Dec 7 with 1931 viewsTooManyCooks

Once again I find myself full of questions relating to an ITFC decision. In the past it would have been an ME decision not to fund, or to sell a player we appeared to need, but now it's possibly even more worrying, the new saviours, the dynamic crew, those who gave their wholehearted backing and support to PC, funding 19 new players of his choosing, have apparently lost patience after a handful of uninspiring, but certainly not career ending performances. I don't get it, the timing, like, at all.

I understand some of the supporters doubts over the dogged adherence to 4231 and I myself was angered by the Cambridge draw, where shutting up shop seemed the obvious move to gain 3 much needed points.

The problem I've got here, is the new management team vetted PC, they had no obligation to keep him, but they said he was on their shortlist anyway. So, we've got a new team of young, dynamic guys talking about data analytics to support player recruitment and in the same breath employing an old school manager who only plays one system doggedly, that's on them, it was their decision. They funded the purchase (albeit the funding appears to have been mainly wages, most of which was offset from released players) of all the players he wanted, specifically to fit a 4231 formation. If the new manager wants to play a completely different shape, or actually possesses a plan B, C and D, we likely haven't got the players for it, so we are back to another player overhaul potentially.

Perhaps the man they really wanted at the helm wasn't available when they took over, but is willing to come here now? I'm hoping that this is all part of the big plan and not a knee jerk reaction at the wrong stage of the season, but I'm not convinced. For the first time in 14 years, I'm not celebrating the departure of a manager, but questioning if it was the right move and that feels very odd, I hope they know what they're doing.

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:43 - Dec 7 with 1572 viewsStokieBlue

I think the micro-analysis of the decision based on the very limited information available to the public and idle speculation is probably not going to do much to allay your fears.

Given our squad we should really be able to play loads of formations so I'm not worried about that at all.

In the end, Cook had 44 matches and didn't perform at the level he needed to. He will probably go elsewhere and do very well but what is important is the results for ITFC right now.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:50 - Dec 7 with 1529 viewsElderGrizzly

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:43 - Dec 7 by StokieBlue

I think the micro-analysis of the decision based on the very limited information available to the public and idle speculation is probably not going to do much to allay your fears.

Given our squad we should really be able to play loads of formations so I'm not worried about that at all.

In the end, Cook had 44 matches and didn't perform at the level he needed to. He will probably go elsewhere and do very well but what is important is the results for ITFC right now.

SB

And Ashton and our owners don't appear to be knee-jerk reaction types.

I suspect this is all very carefully planned and has been for a couple of weeks with replacements already sounded out.

Ashton hasn't just sacked Cook and then gone "what next?"
PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:50 - Dec 7 with 1522 viewsHerbivore

The squad is huge and has players capable of playing more than one system so that shouldn't be a huge worry. I'm sure there'll be tweaks in January but given that Cook seemed to have reverted back to seeing new players as the only answer that would have been the case even if we'd stuck with him.

I really don't get the bafflement at him being sacked. It's been 9 months of chronic underperformance with no sustained signs that it was ever likely to turn. The recent downturn post Wycombe has been particularly alarming. Cook can have no complaints, I'm not sure why some of our fans are complaining either.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:53 - Dec 7 with 1476 viewsStokieBlue

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:50 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

The squad is huge and has players capable of playing more than one system so that shouldn't be a huge worry. I'm sure there'll be tweaks in January but given that Cook seemed to have reverted back to seeing new players as the only answer that would have been the case even if we'd stuck with him.

I really don't get the bafflement at him being sacked. It's been 9 months of chronic underperformance with no sustained signs that it was ever likely to turn. The recent downturn post Wycombe has been particularly alarming. Cook can have no complaints, I'm not sure why some of our fans are complaining either.

The "not the Ipswich way" nonsense needs to be resigned to history. I've seen so many people saying it's not our way to not give managers time.

Keeping managers too long or being too nice about things has led us to the middle reaches of the 3rd division. Perhaps the "Ipswich way" doesn't work anymore.

SB

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:55 - Dec 7 with 1455 viewsTooManyCooks

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:43 - Dec 7 by StokieBlue

SB

Indeed, I'm pretty sure we will never get all the information behind the decision.

Your last sentence is what raises questions in my head about this whole thing, the "what is important is the results for ITFC right now" the decision to sack PC feels like one taken when we are in the bottom 3 and getting hammered weekly, not in mid table, comfortably clear of relegation and slowly becoming a more coherent unit not far off the play offs, just lacking consistency.

I specifically posted a few weeks ago, just before a run of extremely tough games against top 6 opposition, because I knew this would happen, we weren't the finished article and finding points against those teams was going to be hard and I feel like everybody has lost sight of that, including the management team. It's the cup games that have put the nail in the coffin, when they really shouldn't have.

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:58 - Dec 7 with 1420 viewsStokieBlue

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:55 - Dec 7 by TooManyCooks

Indeed, I'm pretty sure we will never get all the information behind the decision.

Your last sentence is what raises questions in my head about this whole thing, the "what is important is the results for ITFC right now" the decision to sack PC feels like one taken when we are in the bottom 3 and getting hammered weekly, not in mid table, comfortably clear of relegation and slowly becoming a more coherent unit not far off the play offs, just lacking consistency.

I specifically posted a few weeks ago, just before a run of extremely tough games against top 6 opposition, because I knew this would happen, we weren't the finished article and finding points against those teams was going to be hard and I feel like everybody has lost sight of that, including the management team. It's the cup games that have put the nail in the coffin, when they really shouldn't have.

"lowly becoming a more coherent unit not far off the play offs, just lacking consistency."

Going to have to take issue with this I'm afraid.

We have not become more coherent, we were becoming more disjointed to the point where we were barely able to register a shot on target in our recent matches. Being very good once in 10 is not what we need.

I think over the last few matches things had clearly gone wrong and we were going backwards.

SB

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:04 - Dec 7 with 1390 viewsleitrimblue

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:55 - Dec 7 by TooManyCooks

Depends on how it works out from now to the end of the season, I guess. We end up in play offs, even if we don't get promoted and no one's gonna give a toss about whether it was too early to sack Cook etc
PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:05 - Dec 7 with 1368 viewsbluejacko

The whole problem stemmed from the fact he didn’t get his preferred No2 in! I am not saying Richardson was the brains behind it all but obviously they worked together as a team. Without his sounding board he was taking us nowhere as his bench was too inexperienced to really help him out.
Login to get fewer ads

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:05 - Dec 7 with 1368 viewsTooManyCooks

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:58 - Dec 7 by StokieBlue

"lowly becoming a more coherent unit not far off the play offs, just lacking consistency."

Going to have to take issue with this I'm afraid.

We have not become more coherent, we were becoming more disjointed to the point where we were barely able to register a shot on target in our recent matches. Being very good once in 10 is not what we need.

I think over the last few matches things had clearly gone wrong and we were going backwards.

SB

I think it was the cup games that made things look particularly bad, we are not in a position to make that many changes and have any level of consistency, when we still can't find any in the first choice 11.

The league games against top 6 just showed that we weren't yet good enough to beat one of the top tier sides in the league, which I wasn't surprised about, hence my points expectation before the run, we are a long way from performing at our best.

Anyway, we're used to change now aren't we, no idea who will come in, but given the youth of the owners and CEO and the modern, dynamic approach to football, you'd think they would be looking to take somebody a bit younger and fresher onboard wouldn't you?

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:08 - Dec 7 with 1332 viewsChurchman

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:50 - Dec 7 by ElderGrizzly

And Ashton and our owners don't appear to be knee-jerk reaction types.

I suspect this is all very carefully planned and has been for a couple of weeks with replacements already sounded out.

Ashton hasn't just sacked Cook and then gone "what next?"

I agree with this EG. I suspect far more has gone on in planning for this than has been made public. I flippin hope so!
PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:08 - Dec 7 with 1331 viewsTooManyCooks

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:50 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

When you make 19 new signings, there's a slim chance that all will work out, maybe a window is what was needed to mix things up and get some better consistency?

Anyway, doesn't matter now, the only question is who comes in now and what we can expect results wise, I hope we don't start hearing about "new manager bounce" because there's not really a series of poor results to bounce back from, just some inconsistency.

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:10 - Dec 7 with 1321 viewshype313

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:53 - Dec 7 by StokieBlue

The "not the Ipswich way" nonsense needs to be resigned to history. I've seen so many people saying it's not our way to not give managers time.

Keeping managers too long or being too nice about things has led us to the middle reaches of the 3rd division. Perhaps the "Ipswich way" doesn't work anymore.

SB

Indeed, people need to get over this notion of "The Ipswich Way" from what I can glean it seems to stem from an era 40+ years ago when The Cobbolds were in situ, and no doubt I'm sure it was fun listening to their soundbites and nonchalance towards wins and losses back then, but the world has changed dramatically since then, especially football.

It's like Brexiteers pining for the days of the 1950's.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:14 - Dec 7 with 1282 viewsHerbivore

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:05 - Dec 7 by TooManyCooks

I think it was the cup games that made things look particularly bad, we are not in a position to make that many changes and have any level of consistency, when we still can't find any in the first choice 11.

The league games against top 6 just showed that we weren't yet good enough to beat one of the top tier sides in the league, which I wasn't surprised about, hence my points expectation before the run, we are a long way from performing at our best.

Anyway, we're used to change now aren't we, no idea who will come in, but given the youth of the owners and CEO and the modern, dynamic approach to football, you'd think they would be looking to take somebody a bit younger and fresher onboard wouldn't you?

20 games in we shouldn't be resigned to losing to anyone in the third division, ffs. Performances post Wycombe have been poor and we've fielded close to fill strength sides in some of the cup ties where we've ultimately looked as poor as we've looked in recent league games.

I'm sorry, but being clear of relegation does not equate to an acceptable level of performance from Cook and after this number of games we really should have seen signs that we were becoming a better team. We haven't seen that over recent weeks at all.

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:16 - Dec 7 with 1277 viewsHerbivore

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:08 - Dec 7 by TooManyCooks

When you make 19 new signings, there's a slim chance that all will work out, maybe a window is what was needed to mix things up and get some better consistency?

Anyway, doesn't matter now, the only question is who comes in now and what we can expect results wise, I hope we don't start hearing about "new manager bounce" because there's not really a series of poor results to bounce back from, just some inconsistency.

We've taken 7 points from our last 6 games, there is plenty of scope for a bounce.

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:16 - Dec 7 with 1266 viewsIpswichKnight

We have looked a muddled mess since the Wycombe game, we should have kicked on from that and burst into the top 6, instead we regressed and fell back, we were ok against Crewe until the substitutions and we then looked an utter shambles and against a decent side would have lost.

Without fail they know who they want but are also open to others who might be interested and they didn’t think would be. One name keeps coming up from all our Scandi friends for example if that person is interested we should sound them out.
PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:17 - Dec 7 with 1264 viewsFixed_It

Ok - here's my take as a Cook supporter.
Pros
*He has a very decent track record with previous clubs - probably better than most alternative candidates.
*He had clear footballing principles based on attacking football.
*He was a 'football man' - loved the game, understood the fans, totally committed, prepared to give his all.
*He was very personable - I'd have happily had a pint with him and he'd have happily shared his time to talk football.
*He was always honest in his post-match analysis - and not afraid to be self-critical.
Cons
*He surrounded himself with an inexperienced backroom staff and left himself open to criticism of 'jobs for the boys' (which no-one would have commented on if we were performing well).
*Results were undeniably poor too frequently. Some of which was down to bad luck, but often poor game management saw us failing to hold on to leads.
*There was no Plan B. I kind of admired him sticking to his principles, but ultimately it cost him his job.
*In 44 games, he only once got back-to-back wins, and never more than that. That is no way to get a team promoted, and is shocking with the resources available.
*The poor performances against lower teams in the Cups - not good enough.

Was sacking him the right decision? I am not sure about the timing - which was probably influenced as much by the #packoutPR campaign as anything. I personally would have given him a bit longer, but can understand why others were less forgiving in their attitudes. I am sure he will go on to be successful elsewhere.
Bit ultimately it is a results business - and that is the bottom line. I'm sure Paul Cook recognises that as much as any of us.
I just hope, for once, we get things right and the next chapter finally sees us moving back in the right direction.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:23 - Dec 7 with 1163 viewshomer_123

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 09:53 - Dec 7 by StokieBlue

SB

As I posted the other day:

Ipswich Town. by homer_123 5 Dec 2021 8:53
Now foreign owned by business orientated Americans and backed with funds from a pension fund.

Previously owned by Marcus Evans and his 'business conglomerate'.

Before that, taken into administration by Sheepshanks and left a lot of local businesses high and dry.

We haven't been the Ipswich I know since then....and we will likely never go back. Certainly with our current owners that are only in it to get a return.

So, let's all step back from this blue tinted view of a reality that hasn't existed for over 15 years.

We've drifted and sleep walked into L1 giving most managers to much time when the evidence was clear it wasn't working. We are a shell of what we were. Under Cook it wasn't improving but sadly regressing again.

I like Cook...on paper he was my second choice and I wanted him and it to work. It wasn't and therefore this is absolutely the right decision and the right time.

Gives an incoming manager the time and opportunity to turn it around this season and that 'must' still be the aim. Promotion this season...that is what we must strive and aim for. Staying in this division playing some decent football isn't good enough and it certainly isn't good enough for our new owners.

This is a competition...this isn't some weird non-competitive sports day where you get a prize for taking part.

Promotion into the Championship and then go and a build a run for the Prem and Europe again. I'm sick of 'settling' for more improved football and match day experience. I want to see Ipswich win, even if it means sh*thousery or being cut throat.

What's the fecking point otherwise?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:27 - Dec 7 with 1117 viewsSaigonTractor

"slowly becoming a more coherent unit not far off the play offs, just lacking consistency."

Ehhh not sure I agree with this. If we were becoming more coherent it wasn't quickly enough to make a difference this season.

I'm still unsure how I feel about the sacking to be honest but I think I'd rather this than the Evans model of giving managers too much time, and then a few months on top of that.
PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:27 - Dec 7 with 1114 viewsTooManyCooks

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:17 - Dec 7 by Fixed_It

Pros
*He has a very decent track record with previous clubs - probably better than most alternative candidates.
*He was a 'football man' - loved the game, understood the fans, totally committed, prepared to give his all.
*He was very personable - I'd have happily had a pint with him and he'd have happily shared his time to talk football.
*He was always honest in his post-match analysis - and not afraid to be self-critical.
Cons
*He surrounded himself with an inexperienced backroom staff and left himself open to criticism of 'jobs for the boys' (which no-one would have commented on if we were performing well).
*Results were undeniably poor too frequently. Some of which was down to bad luck, but often poor game management saw us failing to hold on to leads.
*There was no Plan B. I kind of admired him sticking to his principles, but ultimately it cost him his job.
*In 44 games, he only once got back-to-back wins, and never more than that. That is no way to get a team promoted, and is shocking with the resources available.

Was sacking him the right decision? I am not sure about the timing - which was probably influenced as much by the #packoutPR campaign as anything. I personally would have given him a bit longer, but can understand why others were less forgiving in their attitudes. I am sure he will go on to be successful elsewhere.
Bit ultimately it is a results business - and that is the bottom line. I'm sure Paul Cook recognises that as much as any of us.
I just hope, for once, we get things right and the next chapter finally sees us moving back in the right direction.

A lot of valid points, do you know I'd forgotten about the "packoutPR" thing, but I guess it does rather leave egg on your face if results aren't wonderful.

I agree that there's an argument both ways for the sacking and as you point out, it's just the timing that seems odd to me, surely there must be things happening behind the scenes and the man they wanted all along is available now?

I really hope they bring Steve Evans in as new manager, can you imagine the meltdown on here? LMAO

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:31 - Dec 7 with 1078 viewsRadioOrwell

"comfortably clear of relegation" is one of the most depressing benchmarks for an ITFC manager I have ever seen.
PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 12:05 - Dec 7 with 949 viewskpblues

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 10:17 - Dec 7 by Fixed_It

Pros
Cons

Good summary Fixed It.
Nailing my colours to the mast I was a Cook/New era supporter.

I thought his track record & attacking football philosophy were just what we needed.
After years of boring football it's been great to see Town attacking again & this year I have enjoyed the football so much more despite recent results.

If chances had been converted (particularly at Sunderland) it could have made the difference. Poor cup performances played a part but the league should be the focus.

Having said that we seem to have lost confidence & its been disappointing to see us resorting to sideways/backwards passes & defensive possession which was such a big part of the Lambert/McCarthy eras so recent performances were worrying.

I believe though that #packoutPR was the major reason for the timing as Ashton did not want an embarrassing toxic atmosphere whilst his bosses were attending the game.

So I'm sad about the sacking as I think a season is a fair way of judging a new team and manager and "as football people" our owners should have held their nerve given his track record.

Also sad because we are now just any other team as far as managers go.

If the next one doesn't make the plays offs we can expect another departure.

However its supporters that make football clubs so COYB!

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 12:12 - Dec 7 with 915 viewsBlue_In_Boston

Pros
Cons

The first few points you make whilst true could equally be applied to Paul Jewell...

There is something badly wrong at the club where managers who have had success at other clubs keep coming here and fail to halt our slide.
PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 12:17 - Dec 7 with 895 viewsRobTheMonk

A 0-0 drab draw against Barrow with a small crowd was the nail in the coffin. It had hints of the end of last season where we were struggling to score a goal.

That combined with us being mid table in December and poor performances, including being completely outclassed by Rotherham, meant, in my opinion, that he needed to go.

Nothing against the bloke, but it's not worked here for him.
PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 12:39 - Dec 7 with 823 viewssotd78

To sack the manager who realistically had probably fifteen games with his squad fully assembled, fit, and all buying into 4231. Fifteen games? Nowhere long enough.
This strikes me that Ashton was being questioned by the Yanks. That he put in McGreal as his "back stop" and told Cook - three games mate - win them all and you can stay a bit longer!
Ashton would be terrified of having his owners arriving for the Pack Out PR games and finding us booing.
We wouldn't have.
Seems to me we have owners and management who have yet to recognise that they may have bought a club they are yet to understand. We are sleepy Suffolk - it works in our favour and against us at times.
Cook had too few games and no plan B - seems the same criticism could be levelled at the Board - No plan B!

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 12:45 - Dec 7 with 788 viewsRadioOrwell

PC sacking just creates huge ?????? of the new mgmt team on 12:17 - Dec 7 by RobTheMonk

A 0-0 drab draw against Barrow with a small crowd was the nail in the coffin. It had hints of the end of last season where we were struggling to score a goal.

That combined with us being mid table in December and poor performances, including being completely outclassed by Rotherham, meant, in my opinion, that he needed to go.

Nothing against the bloke, but it's not worked here for him.

I like the bloke a lot and really wanted him to do well.
However I think Barrow, Arsenal, Crewe and Rotherham were collectively too much.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024