Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My thoughts on McKenna. 09:26 - Dec 17 with 1801 viewsOriginalMarkyP

None of the mess we're in is his fault. Which is refreshing. I doubt he can turn it around fast enough to get us in the playoffs and nor would I expect him too.

So for me he's got two windows to deliever a team that can play the way he wants to play (however that is, although the rumours I've heard is that he's a tad more flexible than the last two managers we've had) and get us up to speed and mounting a serious promotion challenge.

When you look at the list of experienced managers who have failed here, he's also got some balls thinking he can succeed where other failed and I applaud him for that.

On the flip side, the club and club heirarchy have some serious questions to answer about how such a big, expensive and (for this level) talented squad could be assembled and allowed to perform so abjectly awfully.

There is a lesson there to be learned.

But good luck KMcK. I hope you do us proud.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2021 9:27]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

My thoughts on McKenna. on 09:28 - Dec 17 with 1754 viewswkj

KcKenna is going to have a hard job here - if it starts going wrong, I don't think he's going to get a lot of patience as a lot of fans are aware that applying pressure on social media now works - where as it never did under Evans.

He's got a hard job, but I don't think he's going to have much longer than this transfer window to start performing in the eyes of some of our more flouncy fans on the Twittersphere.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

My thoughts on McKenna. on 09:30 - Dec 17 with 1735 viewsCheltenham_Blue

"So for me he's got two windows to deliever [sic] a team that can play the way he wants to play"

So for you. If it isn't working in October/November next year, he needs to go? Another one in less than a year.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

My thoughts on McKenna. on 11:03 - Dec 17 with 1566 viewsOriginalMarkyP

My thoughts on McKenna. on 09:30 - Dec 17 by Cheltenham_Blue

"So for me he's got two windows to deliever [sic] a team that can play the way he wants to play"

So for you. If it isn't working in October/November next year, he needs to go? Another one in less than a year.

No.

I just would expect by that point having had two windows he should have got to a squad he thinks can play how he wants.

What we need is some positive signs. Not promotion per se, but the ability to make a serious challenge for it. A team capable of being more consistent. Football (and by this I mean defensively as well as upfront) we can all enjoy and get behind.

What I mean is something better than where we are right now. Cook brought in 19 players and really bar a few performances and the odd cracking goal, overall we''ve been as bad as we were last year, if anything a bit softer at the back. That wasn't acceptable and he had to go.

I think by that point we'd need to see evidence of a clear direction and brand of football.

My thoughts on McKenna. on 11:12 - Dec 17 with 1512 viewstimothyeo

My thoughts on McKenna. on 09:30 - Dec 17 by Cheltenham_Blue

If we are still midtable League One in October / November next year, then without the benefit of context as it hasn't happened yet, i'd expect him to be under pressure, yes.
My thoughts on McKenna. on 11:59 - Dec 17 with 1400 viewsjayessess

In his favour is that he's unambiguously the choice of the new hierarchy and fits the management structure they're trying to build.

Also we're quite low in the league as it is and we don't have to be pulling up any trees for him to be able to point to progress by the end of the season.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:04 - Dec 17 with 1382 viewsitfcsuth

It shouldn't be underestimated that this is a difficult job right now for anybody. We are so far off play-offs that you can forget that entirely this year.

For a man who has never managed a first team, it is such an uphill task.

There are a lot of question marks around a man that has never managed a first team before:
In game solutions
Day-to-day man management
Media management
Tactics & philosophy
Preferred formation

We don't know how this will play out, it's a gamble, but you can't deny it isn't intriguing.
My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:20 - Dec 17 with 1329 viewsOriginalMarkyP

My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:04 - Dec 17 by itfcsuth

It shouldn't be underestimated that this is a difficult job right now for anybody. We are so far off play-offs that you can forget that entirely this year.

For a man who has never managed a first team, it is such an uphill task.

There are a lot of question marks around a man that has never managed a first team before:
In game solutions
Day-to-day man management
Media management
Tactics & philosophy
Preferred formation

We don't know how this will play out, it's a gamble, but you can't deny it isn't intriguing.

I'm excited by it.

I think you can tell from the general sense of apathy to all the other candidates bar perhaps Liam Manning, that this is what was needed.

The Terry/Lampard type was never going to happen and we'd only be a very brief stepping stone for those guys. The first sign of trouble and they'd be off, I think Lampard especially would see it as a massive step down from his career so far and that isnt going to help him or us.

For a this guy it's a huge opportunity. No preconceptions about him. He could be the best thing to happen to the club in 30 years. He could fail miserably. But I'm interested to see what happens. And am starting to feel the first shoots of positivity (the feeling, not the poster - bleurgh!) showing. I never felt Cook was the right choice and said as much. He wasnt the new regime's hire. He was Evans' hire.

If anything the Gamechanger era starts here.

My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:27 - Dec 17 with 1308 viewsitfcsuth

My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:20 - Dec 17 by OriginalMarkyP

I'm excited by it.

I think you can tell from the general sense of apathy to all the other candidates bar perhaps Liam Manning, that this is what was needed.

The Terry/Lampard type was never going to happen and we'd only be a very brief stepping stone for those guys. The first sign of trouble and they'd be off, I think Lampard especially would see it as a massive step down from his career so far and that isnt going to help him or us.

For a this guy it's a huge opportunity. No preconceptions about him. He could be the best thing to happen to the club in 30 years. He could fail miserably. But I'm interested to see what happens. And am starting to feel the first shoots of positivity (the feeling, not the poster - bleurgh!) showing. I never felt Cook was the right choice and said as much. He wasnt the new regime's hire. He was Evans' hire.

If anything the Gamechanger era starts here.

Agree the realistic replacement list felt uninspiring.

Lampard was always out of touch - he comes here and fails where does he go. I don't even think he would take anything less than top Champ side.

I thought Cook would be a good fit, but that didn't work out.

What I like about this is that it is a genuine clean slate, there can be no preconceptions on a man who hasn't managed a first team before - and it could go either way.

All we can do as fans is give full support, and judge him by what he does here, and build your opinions on him by his decisions here over a period of time.
Login to get fewer ads

My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:33 - Dec 17 with 1257 viewsBluesky

I don't think his coaching credentials are in doubt with positive comments from people like Nicky Butt and Jim Magilton. Being a relatively unknown quantity to our squad will be an advantage if he can use the short honeymoon period to stamp his authority swiftly. I hope he has the strength of personality to do that. It is difficult to tell from the few samples of his videos and interviews. He brings an experienced number 2 - which was denied Cook. He will be more in touch with the mentality of modern players whereas my one reservation about Warnock was whether he could still identify with that generation. Let's face it - we are never going to see the grit of Butcher, Mills, Beatty etc because society today no longer readily spawns that strength of character and resilience.
I think he is as good and exciting a choice as any. I don't subscribe to the negativity about Ashton. Whatever the Bristol supporters' gripes, he has results. The Americans are not stupid. They recruited him for good reason. It isn't going to happen overnight but if McKenna gets a grip quickly and is free to do his own tinkering with the squad personnel in the transfer window - this could be it. He needs positivity from the squad and positivity from supporters - no matter how jaded we all currently feel. COYB
My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:36 - Dec 17 with 1231 viewsChurchman

I agree with you.

The main question I have is that if the club were going down a path of structuring the club and Cook wasn’t going to fit it, why wasn’t he booted out in the summer? If Cook was unhappy with how things were structured (Rolls etc), why didn’t he resign? It’s not as if he couldn’t find another job easily with his reputation.

The whole situation where we wind up in December with players who are allegedly good for this level in a team that stinks the place out most weeks is really odd. I hope those that can ask questions of O’Leary and Ashton about how we’ve arrived here do. This is not to put the boot in like the obsessive Bristol oddities, but to understand.

As for McK, yes, he’s got some guts to take this job on, but it’s also a great opportunity for him. I hope it works for both parties. The concern I have is patience. Cook got about a month before the rumbling started and I’m not sure McK will get much longer before plenty chime up with ‘no free hits’ etc. On the upside, many have bought into the freaky Bristol stuff on Ashton and he will now be the target which may give McK a little more time.
My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:37 - Dec 17 with 1215 viewsCrawfordsboot

My son is a season ticket holder at Man U and tells me that he was very highly rated there.

I am eagerly awaiting his arrival. He has good experience working within high level coaching teams so he should bring knowledge and flexibility.

My one concern is to wonder whether he will know how to deal with the hurly burly of lower league football and with players who are less talented than those he has worked with hitherto.

If this works it might just be an inspired choice.
My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:42 - Dec 17 with 1181 viewsOriginalMarkyP

My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:36 - Dec 17 by Churchman

I agree with you.

The main question I have is that if the club were going down a path of structuring the club and Cook wasn’t going to fit it, why wasn’t he booted out in the summer? If Cook was unhappy with how things were structured (Rolls etc), why didn’t he resign? It’s not as if he couldn’t find another job easily with his reputation.

The whole situation where we wind up in December with players who are allegedly good for this level in a team that stinks the place out most weeks is really odd. I hope those that can ask questions of O’Leary and Ashton about how we’ve arrived here do. This is not to put the boot in like the obsessive Bristol oddities, but to understand.

As for McK, yes, he’s got some guts to take this job on, but it’s also a great opportunity for him. I hope it works for both parties. The concern I have is patience. Cook got about a month before the rumbling started and I’m not sure McK will get much longer before plenty chime up with ‘no free hits’ etc. On the upside, many have bought into the freaky Bristol stuff on Ashton and he will now be the target which may give McK a little more time.

I think Cook didn't resign because he's an honourable guy who'd taken a job and wanted to see it through. I also think he thought he might not get an opportunity of a decent sized club with a very large budget again.

On the rumblings of discontent, of course he's going to get that. This is a football messageboard. It's what it's there for. BUT I expect K-MAC to be a lot more savvy about his media handling (generation, where he's been, who his bosses have been) than Cook. Cook's mouth did him no favours.

My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:51 - Dec 17 with 1135 viewsCheltenham_Blue

My thoughts on McKenna. on 11:03 - Dec 17 by OriginalMarkyP

No.

I just would expect by that point having had two windows he should have got to a squad he thinks can play how he wants.

What we need is some positive signs. Not promotion per se, but the ability to make a serious challenge for it. A team capable of being more consistent. Football (and by this I mean defensively as well as upfront) we can all enjoy and get behind.

What I mean is something better than where we are right now. Cook brought in 19 players and really bar a few performances and the odd cracking goal, overall we''ve been as bad as we were last year, if anything a bit softer at the back. That wasn't acceptable and he had to go.

I think by that point we'd need to see evidence of a clear direction and brand of football.

You’ve rather missed your own point. You’ve literally just given the last manager one window and yet from the start, this one needs two?

I predict if we aren’t firing by late Easter you’ll be posting 25 times a day again that McKenna needs to go.

My thoughts on McKenna. on 13:08 - Dec 17 with 1090 viewsRadlett_blue

My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:37 - Dec 17 by Crawfordsboot

My son is a season ticket holder at Man U and tells me that he was very highly rated there.

I am eagerly awaiting his arrival. He has good experience working within high level coaching teams so he should bring knowledge and flexibility.

My one concern is to wonder whether he will know how to deal with the hurly burly of lower league football and with players who are less talented than those he has worked with hitherto.

If this works it might just be an inspired choice.

Plenty of highly rated coaches have failed dismally as managers as it's such a different job. I also wonder if he will be given license to sign new players (beyond loaning in Man U youth players) & if so. who will be choosing them as I wouldn't expect McKenna to know much about senior League 1 professionals.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

My thoughts on McKenna. on 13:10 - Dec 17 with 1070 viewsjayessess

My thoughts on McKenna. on 12:51 - Dec 17 by Cheltenham_Blue

You’ve rather missed your own point. You’ve literally just given the last manager one window and yet from the start, this one needs two?

I predict if we aren’t firing by late Easter you’ll be posting 25 times a day again that McKenna needs to go.

I mean, there's always got to be a bar to clear, hasn't there? If we're Barrow-levels of bad in April, of course he'll get criticism.

I don't know why this is the first place everyone goes though. New managers improve inherited teams all the time, it's a perfectly commonplace occurrence. Why wouldn't we expect McKenna to have a positive effect?

My thoughts on McKenna. on 13:26 - Dec 17 with 1018 viewsCheltenham_Blue

My thoughts on McKenna. on 13:10 - Dec 17 by jayessess

I mean, there's always got to be a bar to clear, hasn't there? If we're Barrow-levels of bad in April, of course he'll get criticism.

I don't know why this is the first place everyone goes though. New managers improve inherited teams all the time, it's a perfectly commonplace occurrence. Why wouldn't we expect McKenna to have a positive effect?

Just point me in the direction of where I’ve said McKenna won’t be a positive influence would you?

My thoughts on McKenna. on 13:44 - Dec 17 with 933 viewsjayessess

My thoughts on McKenna. on 13:26 - Dec 17 by Cheltenham_Blue

Just point me in the direction of where I’ve said McKenna won’t be a positive influence would you?

You've not. I just find the whole "if he's sh1t you'll turn against him stuff" tends towards the assumption that it's likely to be.

My thoughts on McKenna. on 13:50 - Dec 17 with 886 viewsmrfixit426

My thoughts on McKenna. on 13:08 - Dec 17 by Radlett_blue

Plenty of highly rated coaches have failed dismally as managers as it's such a different job. I also wonder if he will be given license to sign new players (beyond loaning in Man U youth players) & if so. who will be choosing them as I wouldn't expect McKenna to know much about senior League 1 professionals.

Plenty of highly rated coaches have also been barnstorming successes once given the opportunity too.

With regard to not knowing League 1 players, this is a man who is by all accounts obsessed with the game and has already demonstrated absolute commitment to doing his homework and research. I bet he already knows a lot more about the division than you give him credit for.

I'm really excited about this.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2021 13:52]
My thoughts on McKenna. on 13:51 - Dec 17 with 880 viewsMetal_Hacker

Andy why isn't he playing Norwood !

Poll: If it were one or the other

My thoughts on McKenna. on 13:55 - Dec 17 with 831 viewsFurrow

My thoughts on McKenna. on 13:10 - Dec 17 by jayessess

I think he's got an uphill struggle on his hands.
Standout players from this season
Janoi Donacien. been a revelation this season A Hurst signing.
Bersant Celina. Loanee Could we afford him Maybe or not.
Christian Walton Loanee Another can we afford him
Wes Burns possibly PC.s best signing.
The rest I think we would possibly lose a lot of money on given their form.
But maybe McKenna can turn them round. Lets give him a big chance.
My thoughts on McKenna. on 14:00 - Dec 17 with 796 viewsOriginalMarkyP

I think you'll find I thought Cook was the wrong guy from the start. Nothing to do with transfer windows.

My thoughts on McKenna. on 14:04 - Dec 17 with 759 viewsOriginalMarkyP

My thoughts on McKenna. on 13:51 - Dec 17 by Metal_Hacker

Andy why isn't he playing Norwood !

Him and Norwood are mates.

He'll make him captain.

My thoughts on McKenna. on 14:05 - Dec 17 with 751 viewsMetal_Hacker

My thoughts on McKenna. on 14:04 - Dec 17 by OriginalMarkyP

Him and Norwood are mates.

He'll make him captain.

Poll: If it were one or the other

My thoughts on McKenna. on 14:07 - Dec 17 with 730 viewsOriginalMarkyP

My thoughts on McKenna. on 14:05 - Dec 17 by Metal_Hacker

That was a joke.

Norwood is his brother-in-law.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2021 14:08]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024