Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be 16:17 - Feb 9 with 2630 viewsyorkshire

I know a lot of people got pretty excited when Hurst was announced only for that to quickly disappear once the season started so badly. At that time I think a lot of fans wanted a good young manager in the mold of a Sir Bobby and hoped that it was Hurst.

Having had to suffer through the disappointment of Hurst, then Lambert then Cook I think fans are a little more jaded but it does seem like people are falling in love with McKenna

Obviously results have been good under him so far, even if performances have been amazing - however for me it’s the way he comes out to talk with the press and actually what he says that has really impressed me so far

I think a play off spot is still a tough ask but feel much more confident now and if we don’t get up this season then I am daring to dream that next season will be a good one
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 16:34 - Feb 9 with 1913 viewsChurchman

Well, McKenna is clearly better than Hurst, but quite frankly there is stuff in my compost bin better than Hurst. It’s no measure.

However, I think KM has made a great start. He’s good with the media, seems very organised and to know what he wants. The test will come with how he responds to setbacks.

Im hopeful he will do a good job for us, if he’s allowed to.
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 16:46 - Feb 9 with 1874 viewshomer_123

I've said this before about Hurst.

For 15 mins in the opening game of the season against Blackburn we looked really, very good. They couldn't touch us - we knocked the ball about, moved with pace and verve, closed down etc. Everything we wanted to see.....Blackburn epitomised Hurst reign and what we saw since under Lambert and Cook.

For short spells, we looked good. We could not maintain it and gave away soft stupid goals but the intent was there, certainly from Hurst but it was a disaster in the end.

The takeaway from McK regin so far...and note McSheffery's comment from last night...we are fitter, in fact fitter than we have ever been and this, more than anything, ensures we can play at the tempo required for longer spells.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 16:55 - Feb 9 with 1821 viewsSteve_M

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 16:46 - Feb 9 by homer_123

For 15 mins in the opening game of the season against Blackburn we looked really, very good. They couldn't touch us - we knocked the ball about, moved with pace and verve, closed down etc. Everything we wanted to see.....Blackburn epitomised Hurst reign and what we saw since under Lambert and Cook.

For short spells, we looked good. We could not maintain it and gave away soft stupid goals but the intent was there, certainly from Hurst but it was a disaster in the end.

The takeaway from McK regin so far...and note McSheffery's comment from last night...we are fitter, in fact fitter than we have ever been and this, more than anything, ensures we can play at the tempo required for longer spells.

Yes, it's a different level from McK who I suspect we couldn't have appointed without the Gamechanger takeover - even allowing for the fact that the people ME took football advice from probably didn't know who he was.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:14 - Feb 9 with 1720 viewsBarcaBlue

I think what generally happens is that after a manager leaves, you typically want somebody completely different for the next one. We got that with Hurst and now with McKenna. Evans would never have gone for a McKenna type appointment and was unlikely to ever make another one like Hurst.

If Evans was still here we'd be back to selecting from the manager merrygoround. Well Cook would have been here for another 3 seasons at least and then we'd go back to another "safe" choice.

Most people seemed happy that Hurst was young and not McCarthy. McKenna brought a lot more intrigue and almost exoticism so I think the response was very different in the two appointments.
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:15 - Feb 9 with 1726 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 16:55 - Feb 9 by Steve_M

Yes, it's a different level from McK who I suspect we couldn't have appointed without the Gamechanger takeover - even allowing for the fact that the people ME took football advice from probably didn't know who he was.

It’s what we were crying out for and Evans couldn’t provide - someone making the decisions who was able to look beyond the obvious ‘been there, done it’ criteria and spot the potential in someone. A bit of inspiration and good judgement. It’s not just the results so far either - he seems to fit us. Quiet, a bit understated - that’s us. A technician, which is what most of us wanted too. I’ve no idea who came up with McKenna’s name, but it’s seemingly an inspired call. He’s the most emotionally intelligent manager we’ve had in a long time too, and that’s feeding into our approach and resilience.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:18 - Feb 9 with 1699 viewsRadioOrwell

Do you know what might have stopped ? - conceding dreadful late goals.
That was killing us for a long long time.

KMK seems to be able to hold on to a lead which Cook was simply not capable of.

And ... where Lambingo failed badly - KMK can swap players and formations and it doesn't seem to matter. In fact it's a massive positive.
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:22 - Feb 9 with 1691 viewsHipsterectomy

I don't know if he had a relationship with one of the Doncaster players, but I noticed at full time one of their lads was hanging around him and deep in conversation. One of the Accrington players who had been coached by him also waited around so that they could catch up privately after the match.

Ole and Carrick obviously think highly of him to watch last night and Magilton said he was one of the best coaches he has ever seen.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:24 - Feb 9 with 1669 viewsFrimleyBlue

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:18 - Feb 9 by RadioOrwell

Do you know what might have stopped ? - conceding dreadful late goals.
That was killing us for a long long time.

KMK seems to be able to hold on to a lead which Cook was simply not capable of.

And ... where Lambingo failed badly - KMK can swap players and formations and it doesn't seem to matter. In fact it's a massive positive.

Also something of note last night. When we did score our way of playing didn't change. Donny tried to press more just after our goal but we didn't panic like some previous games , we just carried on passing it around and letting them chase the ball.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:25 - Feb 9 with 1665 viewstractorboy1978

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:15 - Feb 9 by Swansea_Blue

It’s what we were crying out for and Evans couldn’t provide - someone making the decisions who was able to look beyond the obvious ‘been there, done it’ criteria and spot the potential in someone. A bit of inspiration and good judgement. It’s not just the results so far either - he seems to fit us. Quiet, a bit understated - that’s us. A technician, which is what most of us wanted too. I’ve no idea who came up with McKenna’s name, but it’s seemingly an inspired call. He’s the most emotionally intelligent manager we’ve had in a long time too, and that’s feeding into our approach and resilience.

Important to add as well that McKenna is working within a structure that offers all of the support tools he needs to do his job effectively - comprehensive medical team, fitness team, sports science team, empowered CEO, recruitment team being built, supportive owners, financial backing.

Realistically Evans could never appoint someone of his ilk as the structure wasn't right. And a manager like McKenna used to working with this sort of set up wouldn't think about coming here.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2022 17:31]
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:27 - Feb 9 with 1654 viewschicoazul

Predict his reign will be short but glorious. Bigger fish will be sniffing very soon.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:28 - Feb 9 with 1635 viewsHipsterectomy

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:25 - Feb 9 by tractorboy1978

Important to add as well that McKenna is working within a structure that offers all of the support tools he needs to do his job effectively - comprehensive medical team, fitness team, sports science team, empowered CEO, recruitment team being built, supportive owners, financial backing.

Realistically Evans could never appoint someone of his ilk as the structure wasn't right. And a manager like McKenna used to working with this sort of set up wouldn't think about coming here.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2022 17:31]

This is true actually. Hurst came in when the club was an absolute shambles behind the scenes and where the guy who pretty much did everything had just left (Mick). It's no wonder it was so bad.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:29 - Feb 9 with 1619 viewsFrimleyBlue

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:27 - Feb 9 by chicoazul

Predict his reign will be short but glorious. Bigger fish will be sniffing very soon.

Depends on what he does here and how soon
With the backing we have and the potential of more investors. The potential of growth and ability to build at PR who's to say he couldn't achieve what he wants at Town.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:31 - Feb 9 with 1588 viewschicoazul

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:29 - Feb 9 by FrimleyBlue

Depends on what he does here and how soon
With the backing we have and the potential of more investors. The potential of growth and ability to build at PR who's to say he couldn't achieve what he wants at Town.

This will only ever be a stepping stone for him to Newcastle or Celtic or NI or whoever to double his money, which is fine. Long as he gets us up and keeps us up.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:33 - Feb 9 with 1562 viewsRadioOrwell

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:27 - Feb 9 by chicoazul

Which might mean he has already done something glorious with us ?

We clearly can't hold on to players / managers if a big fish wants them, but twas always so.
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:36 - Feb 9 with 1526 viewsWD19

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:28 - Feb 9 by Hipsterectomy

This is true actually. Hurst came in when the club was an absolute shambles behind the scenes and where the guy who pretty much did everything had just left (Mick). It's no wonder it was so bad.

It didn't help that Hurst was utterly hopeless too.....with Doig in tow simply so that Hurst was not seen to be the biggest cretin on the management team.
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:38 - Feb 9 with 1517 viewsRonFearonsHair

McKenna is the first manager we have taken on since Magilton who is on the upward trajectory in his career rather than the downwards.
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:58 - Feb 9 with 1400 viewschicoazul

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:33 - Feb 9 by RadioOrwell

Which might mean he has already done something glorious with us ?

We clearly can't hold on to players / managers if a big fish wants them, but twas always so.

On the basis of so far it’s looking very good for promotion next season unless we fluke it this. If he gets us up and keeps us up and maybe even gets us a tilt at the play offs then he will be off as bigger clubs will be in and so much money will be on the table. Fortunately we now seem to have a competent board and executive level who will always have an eye on the near and far future.

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:00 - Feb 9 with 1388 viewsBlueBoots

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:22 - Feb 9 by Hipsterectomy

I don't know if he had a relationship with one of the Doncaster players, but I noticed at full time one of their lads was hanging around him and deep in conversation. One of the Accrington players who had been coached by him also waited around so that they could catch up privately after the match.

Ole and Carrick obviously think highly of him to watch last night and Magilton said he was one of the best coaches he has ever seen.

KMac said in his pre-match interview that he knew 3 of the Doncaster players as they came through the Man U youth setup...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:05 - Feb 9 with 1363 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:22 - Feb 9 by Hipsterectomy

This is it. He is clearly knowledgeable and effective as a coach but also liked and respected.

GameChanger clearly researched and found a gem, too. It's not like lots of people had been shouting about going and getting him.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:08 - Feb 9 with 1333 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 16:46 - Feb 9 by homer_123

I think it goes deeper than simple physical fitness (which all 3 of our previous seemed to bemoan with different players). We are mentally fitter and able to play the game situation. Under our last two managers we were unable to adapt according to the needs of the match. That was the main reason for throwing away leads under Cook.

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:09 - Feb 9 with 1317 viewsRadioOrwell

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:05 - Feb 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

This is it. He is clearly knowledgeable and effective as a coach but also liked and respected.

GameChanger clearly researched and found a gem, too. It's not like lots of people had been shouting about going and getting him.

Hate to poke a hornets nest but maybe it was Ashton ...???
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:14 - Feb 9 with 1290 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:09 - Feb 9 by RadioOrwell

Hate to poke a hornets nest but maybe it was Ashton ...???

No, Ashton must have been talked out of hiring Lee Johnson as he had connections with him from BCFC. Must have been someone else while McKenna is doing well ... but, of course, it could still have been Ashton should it all turn sour.

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:15 - Feb 9 with 1278 viewsRadioOrwell

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:14 - Feb 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

No, Ashton must have been talked out of hiring Lee Johnson as he had connections with him from BCFC. Must have been someone else while McKenna is doing well ... but, of course, it could still have been Ashton should it all turn sour.

Funny how that line of argument has stopped.
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:16 - Feb 9 with 1263 viewsPendejo

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:38 - Feb 9 by RonFearonsHair

McKenna is the first manager we have taken on since Magilton who is on the upward trajectory in his career rather than the downwards.

Shirley Hurst was on an upward trajectory?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:19 - Feb 9 with 1239 viewsWD19

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:15 - Feb 9 by RadioOrwell

Funny how that line of argument has stopped.

That’s the healing power of a win against the bottom side, 2 wins against 3rd bottom Gillingham and also overcoming Accrington.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024