Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John-Jules 08:44 - Jul 17 with 5000 viewstractorboy1978

Is he fit now? He's not gone on Arsenal's pre-season tour or been in the squad for any of their friendlies to date.

Wonder if he's someone we could pick up for next to nothing with a lot of potential upside and not much downside.
John-Jules on 08:45 - Jul 17 with 4353 viewsportmanking

My fear with TJJ is do we have space in the 25-man squad for another punt? You could argue the likes of Edwards will already be punts this season, do we need another wildcard?
John-Jules on 08:50 - Jul 17 with 4285 viewsJuggsy

Downside would be his injury history.
Without that he’d be a no brainer as McKenna clearly rates him highly.
John-Jules on 08:59 - Jul 17 with 4210 viewsPioneerBlue

The cluub is best placed to know how much of a wildcard. I like him as a player.

We do already have wildcards,

Injury record
Edmundson
Evo

Delivery record
Jackson
Edwards

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

John-Jules on 09:00 - Jul 17 with 4185 viewschicoazul

John-Jules on 08:45 - Jul 17 by portmanking

My fear with TJJ is do we have space in the 25-man squad for another punt? You could argue the likes of Edwards will already be punts this season, do we need another wildcard?

In what way do you think he would be a “punt”

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

John-Jules on 09:06 - Jul 17 with 4121 viewscatch74

John-Jules on 08:59 - Jul 17 by PioneerBlue

The cluub is best placed to know how much of a wildcard. I like him as a player.

We do already have wildcards,

Injury record
Edmundson
Evo

Delivery record
Jackson
Edwards

Think Edwards stats/delivery are pretty decent, used sparingly but effectively by KM. At 25 it’s a big season for him, I’m imagining more of the same, mainly from the bench and hopefully more minutes overall.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

John-Jules on 09:13 - Jul 17 with 4046 viewsportmanking

John-Jules on 09:00 - Jul 17 by chicoazul

In what way do you think he would be a “punt”

Various ways really. His questionable injury record. His lack of experience and game time in the second tier. His wage expectations. Who he's going to displace in the current squad. Need I go on?
John-Jules on 09:19 - Jul 17 with 3966 viewsRopeyAdvice

We could 'take a punt' by means of signing him and loaning him out to League one and hope he stays injury free.. I'm sure our medical team know enough to advise on if its a wise move
John-Jules on 09:21 - Jul 17 with 3947 viewsKieran_Knows

I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

John-Jules on 09:24 - Jul 17 with 3909 viewstractorboy1978

John-Jules on 09:13 - Jul 17 by portmanking

Various ways really. His questionable injury record. His lack of experience and game time in the second tier. His wage expectations. Who he's going to displace in the current squad. Need I go on?

It wouldn't surprise me if we could pick him up for very little (nominal fee + % sell on) and I can't imagine he will have clubs queuing up so wages should be relatively low.

The injury record is obviously the concern but you are getting a player with a real upside potential (especially under McKenna). It could be a very smart bit of recruitment. I think it was Joe that mentioned on BM podcast, he was in the England U21 squad for the qualifying games of the tournament they have just won.
John-Jules on 09:30 - Jul 17 with 3862 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

John-Jules on 09:24 - Jul 17 by tractorboy1978

It wouldn't surprise me if we could pick him up for very little (nominal fee + % sell on) and I can't imagine he will have clubs queuing up so wages should be relatively low.

The injury record is obviously the concern but you are getting a player with a real upside potential (especially under McKenna). It could be a very smart bit of recruitment. I think it was Joe that mentioned on BM podcast, he was in the England U21 squad for the qualifying games of the tournament they have just won.

He was in those squads and he was a seriously quality player at youth level for Arsenal and England. I know a few lads who played against him when they were younger who spoke about how good he was when they played him.

Id bring him back. i cant imagine there are many players who can cover all of our attacking roles, but he can.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

John-Jules on 09:37 - Jul 17 with 3778 viewsMookamoo

Wouldn't be surprised to see him here and then loaned out to someone like MK Dons. Somewhere close enough he can return to join in training here occasionally.

John-Jules would a great successor for Aluko next year but I not sure we would want to have Aluko and John-Jules in a 25 man squad this year.
John-Jules on 09:39 - Jul 17 with 3748 viewsDanTheMan

I'd be very happy if we managed to sign him. Thought he looked really good for us early on.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

John-Jules on 09:41 - Jul 17 with 3718 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'm not sure why you think he'd be so cheap ("next to nothing", "very little", "nominal fee") and also wages "relatively low" when he's a premier league player who "was in the England U21 squad for the qualifying games of the tournament they have just won."

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

John-Jules on 09:53 - Jul 17 with 3593 viewstractorboy1978

John-Jules on 09:41 - Jul 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm not sure why you think he'd be so cheap ("next to nothing", "very little", "nominal fee") and also wages "relatively low" when he's a premier league player who "was in the England U21 squad for the qualifying games of the tournament they have just won."

Re fee - because he only has a year left at Arsenal and is clearly not going to be staying there beyond that. I don't see there being much of a Championship market for him given recent injury record and lack of experience/goals at that level.

Re wages - as above. I don't see there being clubs looking to throw decent Championship wages at him. He also talked recently on a podcast about needing to find a home and talked glowingly about McKenna/Ipswich. Similar to Hirst in that respect - this would be a great career move for him.
John-Jules on 09:57 - Jul 17 with 3554 viewsportmanking

John-Jules on 09:53 - Jul 17 by tractorboy1978

Re fee - because he only has a year left at Arsenal and is clearly not going to be staying there beyond that. I don't see there being much of a Championship market for him given recent injury record and lack of experience/goals at that level.

Re wages - as above. I don't see there being clubs looking to throw decent Championship wages at him. He also talked recently on a podcast about needing to find a home and talked glowingly about McKenna/Ipswich. Similar to Hirst in that respect - this would be a great career move for him.

If it was a sign to loan into League 1 and get a full season under his belt, I could see the long-term sense in that. Get him to tear up the third tier, stay fit while we sign a season-long loanee ourselves like a Keane Lewis-Potter. TJJ can then come back flying into the equation in 2024/25.

I personally just don't see TJJ as being ready to hit the ground running this year for us.
John-Jules on 10:01 - Jul 17 with 3499 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

John-Jules on 09:53 - Jul 17 by tractorboy1978

Hmm, I hope you're right. Definitely worth a punt if as cheap as you surmise, though if he's worth us taking a look then I'm sure he'd have other suitors.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:02 - Jul 17 with 3506 viewsunstableblue

Not got to him discussing his future

But if he’s not on the US tour, that is strange, and suggest injury or he isn’t going to make it at Arsenal

[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 10:02]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:04 - Jul 17 with 3466 viewsPhilTWTD

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:02 - Jul 17 by unstableblue

Not got to him discussing his future

But if he’s not on the US tour, that is strange, and suggest injury or he isn’t going to make it at Arsenal

[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 10:02]

I'd guess he's still not 100 per cent following the injury he suffered in March.
Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:12 - Jul 17 with 3347 viewsportmanking

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:04 - Jul 17 by PhilTWTD

I'd guess he's still not 100 per cent following the injury he suffered in March.

If that is the case, we have to be ruthless and look elsewhere. We've spent too many years being held back by players with questionable injury records in the past.
John-Jules on 10:28 - Jul 17 with 3231 viewsGuthrum

One of the advantages of TJJ last season was that he did not count towards the squad limit, due to his age. This season he does, so would have to justify a full senior place in the squad. That puts a lot more weight onto his injury record, experience and potential.

I liked him and would be a good third striker/cover. However, it would leave us with quite a lot of inexperience at the front end (Hirst does not have a lot of Championship minutes, Ladapo only one full season).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:31 - Jul 17 with 3203 viewsPhilTWTD

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:12 - Jul 17 by portmanking

If that is the case, we have to be ruthless and look elsewhere. We've spent too many years being held back by players with questionable injury records in the past.

I think that might well be our thinking. Earlier in the year I was hearing whispers that we were keen to make it permanent but not heard similar recently.
Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:50 - Jul 17 with 3036 viewsunstableblue

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:04 - Jul 17 by PhilTWTD

It’s an insightful interview - the hosts know their stuff, they’re actually Liverpool fans

Fascinating to hear about his loans and career, and obviously his peer group some of whom are now Arsenal and England first team.

It was filmed just before the Exeter game.

It is so positive and heartwarming to hear about his Ipswich experience, he loved it and loved the club, fans. He confirms everything we know about McKenna. He’s a top top manager and leader. It’s also good to hear how much care, interest and contact Town made with when he has returned to Arsenal for his recovery. “Town are a family and together”. Lots of “we” from JJ.

I agree with you Phil that I suspect he is still injured or in recovery so you’re not an option.

I have to say that it is sad to hear how much the injuries have affected him, his family have been key to see him through it. Unfortunately I’m really not sure Town can take a punt on JJ despite all the promise, and good moments at Town. Lots of different muscle injuries suggests body mechanic issues.

Would love him to come here and do well, he loves Town, but as he says when comparing the Championship to League One (Blackpool loan) - “there are no easy games in the Championship and players are technically better” - and we need a striker/winger who can last the campaign and fire in goals.

Top listen.

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:52 - Jul 17 with 3004 viewsPhilTWTD

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:50 - Jul 17 by unstableblue

It’s an insightful interview - the hosts know their stuff, they’re actually Liverpool fans

Fascinating to hear about his loans and career, and obviously his peer group some of whom are now Arsenal and England first team.

It was filmed just before the Exeter game.

It is so positive and heartwarming to hear about his Ipswich experience, he loved it and loved the club, fans. He confirms everything we know about McKenna. He’s a top top manager and leader. It’s also good to hear how much care, interest and contact Town made with when he has returned to Arsenal for his recovery. “Town are a family and together”. Lots of “we” from JJ.

I agree with you Phil that I suspect he is still injured or in recovery so you’re not an option.

I have to say that it is sad to hear how much the injuries have affected him, his family have been key to see him through it. Unfortunately I’m really not sure Town can take a punt on JJ despite all the promise, and good moments at Town. Lots of different muscle injuries suggests body mechanic issues.

Would love him to come here and do well, he loves Town, but as he says when comparing the Championship to League One (Blackpool loan) - “there are no easy games in the Championship and players are technically better” - and we need a striker/winger who can last the campaign and fire in goals.

Top listen.

Indeed, was good, I lifted a bit out of it about his time at Town. Definitely think he was a good fit, was well liked by the players and management, who rated him very highly.

John-Jules: I Enjoyed Every Minute at Ipswich 22nd May 2023 14:51
Blues loanee Tyreece John-Jules says he enjoyed every minute of his loan spell at Portman Road. 26

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:55 - Jul 17 with 2940 viewsunstableblue

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:52 - Jul 17 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, was good, I lifted a bit out of it about his time at Town. Definitely think he was a good fit, was well liked by the players and management, who rated him very highly.

John-Jules: I Enjoyed Every Minute at Ipswich 22nd May 2023 14:51
Blues loanee Tyreece John-Jules says he enjoyed every minute of his loan spell at Portman Road. 26

I thought you’d have used those nuggets, he really does confirm what a good place and atmosphere Town currently is under McKenna.

Was he at the Exeter game and joined the promotion party? Sounded like he planned to. My mind tells me he was?!

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 11:02 - Jul 17 with 2875 viewsPhilTWTD

Listening to this Podcast, insightful interview with JJ on 10:55 - Jul 17 by unstableblue

I thought you’d have used those nuggets, he really does confirm what a good place and atmosphere Town currently is under McKenna.

Was he at the Exeter game and joined the promotion party? Sounded like he planned to. My mind tells me he was?!

Yes, he was, I remember seeing him. Can't remember him being in the part but he may have been.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024