Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers 07:42 - Aug 18 with 7102 viewsBondiBlue

He says signing loads of new players would tell those currently here that the club don't think they're good enough.

I think we need to give players the chance to fail before replacing them. Donacien, burgess, hladky, burns certainly haven't failed yet. Even taylor can't get in. Save our money until january and see how we go?
[Post edited 18 Aug 2023 7:43]

Poll: Which would you accept?

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:03 - Aug 18 with 5011 viewsBlueBoots

Posted just before the Bristol Rovers game...

Lots of teams in this division are still scrabbling about in the transfer market trying to patch up squads with signings / loans or hoping that youth players can make the step up. While this has been going on, we've got a full (tough) pre-season into an entire squad who are already on the same wavelength after last season, and have bought into the challenge of making the step-up.

Probably worth a mention that some teams have either had to (or wanted to) cash in on some of their top scorers / better players too, whereas we've (so far) held on to all of ours, which shouldn't be forgotten.

I effin' love our squad by BlueBoots 9 Aug 2023 19:15
Seems like an appropriate day to write this post, as quite a few players are making their first appearances of the season this evening.

Having read a few posts on here straight after a hard fought win at Sunderland, was a bit disappointed with some of the reaction (Highlight for me was a thread along the lines of "What have we learned from today's match?", to which one of the replies was that Edmundson and Jackson need replacing...[doh])

Can't remember if it was the same thread, but other posters thought we needed to bin off JD after the game because he gave the ball away a couple of times and didn't stop the cross that came into our box for their goal (at a time when he was probably seeing 2 footballs after being clattered by Hladky and starting to cramp up too). Few digs at Hladky's performance too; most of which seemed to be based on the fact that he isn't Walton. Already mentioned on another thread, but Hladky's reaction at the final whistle is already going into my highlight reel for the season; for me he's done what all good No.2 keepers do - train as if you're going to be playing every week anyway, and if the opportunity comes along to fill in, come in and do an outstanding job.

I think it's fair to say that Walton and Clarke would have likely played if available, but they weren't; just wanted to say how incredibly lucky we are to have players as good as Hladky and JD to step up when needed.

K McK / Ashton have alluded to our transfer policy being to bring in players who are an upgrade on what we have; could it possibly be the reason we aren't seeing signings is because we already have some damn good players (and people) in the building?

So cheers to Edmundson and Baggott who will get chances to fill in for a pair of centre-backs who contributed to a ridiculous run of clean sheets at the end of last season, Evans and Harness who helped us to get off to a flyer at the start of last season, and Ball and Aluko who have come back from injuries to bring their experience at this level to the group for a new season (on and off the pitch) To Jackson for making life hell for any left back who stupidly leaves a few yards of space empty behind him (despite the fact he'd probably prefer to be playing as a centre forward) To Edwards, who is probably desperate to start games, for coming off the bench so many times instead and making tiring opposition defenders wish they were heading in the opposite direction. And lastly to my favourite player Greg Leigh, who I was looking forward to seeing last season after watching the pre-season friendlies, only for us to sign one of the best young left backs in the country a few weeks later; with the kind of shifts our full-backs put in, 9 subs allowed on the bench, and 15 minutes of injury time looking to become the norm in matches, I hope to see more of you this season.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:22 - Aug 18 with 4863 viewsGuthrum

For me, we were never shopping in the "loads of new players" market, more the "one or two outstanding additions" range*. Which is why the players we've been linked with are in the megabucks category and/or headed for top Champ and lower Prem teams. And we signed a very bright prospect from L1 (Taylor).

Also why there hasn't been a lot of activity. We haven't been able to land the ones who are good enough - perhaps on price, or on our (as yet unproven) prospects in the division. But we're not going to sign just anybody for the sake of it, that would be a pointless waste of money.

* Plus re-hiring two key members of last season's team - Hirst and Luongo.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:22 - Aug 18 with 4859 viewsITFCBlues

I don't think adding 2 or 3 more players signals this at all. It's just evolution of the squad.

It's a long season, we don't want to be sitting here in January wishing we'd signed a couple more players to push us on and we're 10 points outside the play-offs.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:27 - Aug 18 with 4805 viewsGuthrum

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:22 - Aug 18 by ITFCBlues

I don't think adding 2 or 3 more players signals this at all. It's just evolution of the squad.

It's a long season, we don't want to be sitting here in January wishing we'd signed a couple more players to push us on and we're 10 points outside the play-offs.

But they have to be good enough to push us on - which is very good, given the quality we already have - and those have proven difficult to land. I'm sure we haven't decided not to sign the likes of Simms, except on grounds of extreme, unaffordable price.

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:44 - Aug 18 with 4662 viewsWallingford_Boy

We need two -

Centre back to replace Burgess.
Centre forward to challenge Hirst/replace Ladapo.

RIP Sir Bobby

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:47 - Aug 18 with 4638 viewsChurchman

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:22 - Aug 18 by ITFCBlues

If they are better than what we have, I’d agree with you. However I’d rather be short of the play offs in January knowing we need a couple of additions than loading up the club/gambling with additional players now, unless they are better than what we have and fit what we are trying to do, while not disturbing the outstanding team spirit and ethic.

So yes, evolution but unlike post bomb squad then early McKenna, even Jan this year to get out of the L1 hellhole, we have to be careful who we bring in and when in my view. Not easy to do. Especially as I believe we have a stronger squad than some people think.
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:00 - Aug 18 with 4528 viewsBondiBlue

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:44 - Aug 18 by Wallingford_Boy

We need two -

Burgess who was my MOM at sunderland and very solid against stoke?

Challenge maybe, replace seems harsh now.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:05 - Aug 18 with 4487 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The players want to kick on as well. Im sure they want some new faces to come in and push them.

Morsy has said it repeatedly that the want a couple more

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Login to get fewer ads

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:07 - Aug 18 with 4470 viewsITFCBlues

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:47 - Aug 18 by Churchman

If they are better than what we have, I’d agree with you. However I’d rather be short of the play offs in January knowing we need a couple of additions than loading up the club/gambling with additional players now, unless they are better than what we have and fit what we are trying to do, while not disturbing the outstanding team spirit and ethic.

So yes, evolution but unlike post bomb squad then early McKenna, even Jan this year to get out of the L1 hellhole, we have to be careful who we bring in and when in my view. Not easy to do. Especially as I believe we have a stronger squad than some people think.

Exactly and that goes without saying. We don't need to just add bodies and the clubs clearly aware of that.

But the OP is suggesting not adding anyone. If we get 1 or 2 injuries in certain areas, we'd massivley feel the effects with the drop offs in quality

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:09 - Aug 18 with 4459 viewstractorboy1978

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:47 - Aug 18 by Churchman

Ashton/McKenna have both said a couple of times now that it is a small pool of players we are after - suspect we have learned from panic signing Camara/Ahadme. Ultimately we just need to find a way to land the 2/3 McKenna clearly wants. Easier said than done perhaps but we need to cash in on having one of the best young managers in the country.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2023 9:09]
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:13 - Aug 18 with 4406 viewstractordownsouth

As others have said above, it’s a slow window anyway. The striker market seems particularly crowded, most clubs in the league are still after somebody. Just off the top of my head Town, Leeds, Southampton, Sunderland, Boro, Watford, Hull, Plymouth, Preston, Blackburn, Bristol City, Birmingham and Huddersfield all want at least one.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:14 - Aug 18 with 4400 viewsCityBlue

with the exodus of "marquee" players to the likes of SPL and MLS top clubs have had to splash the cash to secure signings and as a result the ebb and flow of players has declined somewhat making the transfer market particularly volatile at the moment.

I T I D

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:19 - Aug 18 with 4337 viewsGuthrum

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:07 - Aug 18 by ITFCBlues

Exactly and that goes without saying. We don't need to just add bodies and the clubs clearly aware of that.

But the OP is suggesting not adding anyone. If we get 1 or 2 injuries in certain areas, we'd massivley feel the effects with the drop offs in quality

Couple of aspects on your second paragraph:

Firstly, is that not true at virtually all clubs? Not sure anybody keeps a full stock of equal-quality reinforcements. Indeed, with our regular substitute-rotation of the attacking group during games, we're closer to the ideal than most.

Secondly, if a player is of first-choice quality at this level, they're going to want to be a regular starter, not merely a bench-sitting back-up. Can't see them wanting to sign without some assurances on that front. Giving such promises would then unsettle the present incumbent in that position. c.f. Edwards, who has fallen down the pecking order and now would prefer to leave in order get matches and continue his career.

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:20 - Aug 18 with 4325 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’d expect us to look for Championship++ quality in Jan if we’re in the PO positions, to then have a real go at promotion. Much like we brought in players too good for L1 last Jan. That’s a lot harder to do in this league though as the gap to the PL, especially financially, is so much larger.

But I’m getting ahead of myself a bit. There’s a lot of football to go before Jan.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:24 - Aug 18 with 4295 viewsChurchman

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:07 - Aug 18 by ITFCBlues

While I don’t necessarily disagree with you, we already have one or two injuries and the drop off hasn’t been as great as feared, to date. I’d love to see another forward at the club - nobody quite fulfils the role of Hirst if he’s injured. At CH for me it’s a nice to rather than need to. A better, fitter version of Keogh would add.

However the OP has a lot of merit in my view. People are quick to big up opposition players and downgrade our own but I believe most of ours have plenty to offer at this level. In the last four windows we signed a lot of players. Some are gone, some not good enough but plenty who are.

We have a carefully built, proper team. They have been outstanding in the last six months. Support, enhance, add to but let’s not assume every player every Championship club has brought in is better than what we already have. They’re not.
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:25 - Aug 18 with 4282 viewsNthQldITFC

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:24 - Aug 18 by Churchman

While I don’t necessarily disagree with you, we already have one or two injuries and the drop off hasn’t been as great as feared, to date. I’d love to see another forward at the club - nobody quite fulfils the role of Hirst if he’s injured. At CH for me it’s a nice to rather than need to. A better, fitter version of Keogh would add.

However the OP has a lot of merit in my view. People are quick to big up opposition players and downgrade our own but I believe most of ours have plenty to offer at this level. In the last four windows we signed a lot of players. Some are gone, some not good enough but plenty who are.

We have a carefully built, proper team. They have been outstanding in the last six months. Support, enhance, add to but let’s not assume every player every Championship club has brought in is better than what we already have. They’re not.

Plus many/most of our existing players are still improving under The McKenna Experience.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:26 - Aug 18 with 4280 viewsBiGDonnie

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:44 - Aug 18 by Wallingford_Boy

We need two -

Sup Wally, happy Friday.

Thoughts on Burgess so far this season? For me he's not put a foot wrong and I'm hoping he'll go from strength to strength. He's an absolute beast and left footed too, anyone we sign would have to wait for their opportunity.

Agreed on the striker, think it was quite telling that Jackson was bought on against Stoke.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:27 - Aug 18 with 4266 viewstractorboy1978

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:19 - Aug 18 by Guthrum

Couple of aspects on your second paragraph:

Firstly, is that not true at virtually all clubs? Not sure anybody keeps a full stock of equal-quality reinforcements. Indeed, with our regular substitute-rotation of the attacking group during games, we're closer to the ideal than most.

Secondly, if a player is of first-choice quality at this level, they're going to want to be a regular starter, not merely a bench-sitting back-up. Can't see them wanting to sign without some assurances on that front. Giving such promises would then unsettle the present incumbent in that position. c.f. Edwards, who has fallen down the pecking order and now would prefer to leave in order get matches and continue his career.

That's just how improving your squad goes though. We did it in January with Clarke, Broadhead and Hirst. Donacien, Harness and Ladapo had to take it on the chin and continue to work hard and do the business when they got the opportunity (of which they still got plenty). As long as players are being treated fairly and honestly it is not really an issue, and McKenna is clearly a great man manager.
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:36 - Aug 18 with 4182 viewsGuthrum

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:27 - Aug 18 by tractorboy1978

That's just how improving your squad goes though. We did it in January with Clarke, Broadhead and Hirst. Donacien, Harness and Ladapo had to take it on the chin and continue to work hard and do the business when they got the opportunity (of which they still got plenty). As long as players are being treated fairly and honestly it is not really an issue, and McKenna is clearly a great man manager.

Indeed.

Altho I'd say there's some difference between being bumped from first choice to regular sub and dropping to third option who might not even make the bench often. As people seem to be suggesting for Ladapo, a player who scored 17 League goals last season and 9 during his one in the Championship.

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:56 - Aug 18 with 3986 viewsWhos_blue

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:09 - Aug 18 by tractorboy1978

Ashton/McKenna have both said a couple of times now that it is a small pool of players we are after - suspect we have learned from panic signing Camara/Ahadme. Ultimately we just need to find a way to land the 2/3 McKenna clearly wants. Easier said than done perhaps but we need to cash in on having one of the best young managers in the country.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2023 9:09]

What "panic buying"?

I just don't get this new narrative.

The more games the current squad plays, the harder it becomes to find better replacements for those that have stepped up and are playing well in this division.
We have to remember that we are not as cash rich in comparison to last year. We can't just throw cash around and anyway, that is not MA's MO. The player search is meticulous and based on team fit, not value.
I do worry about the meltdown on here when we do eventually lose a game, especially regarding some of those players already in the cross hairs of some of us.
This is our first season back and the Championship is much tougher than when we left it.
We've had a great start and long may that continue, but when it does end, I don't want to see the unhelpful jibes at individual players, the team, KM or MA.
They gave us what we wanted last season and to date we have equalled the record of our best ever team.
As a long in the tooth supporter, I couldn't be happier with the rejuvination the current set up have brought to our club.
I fear that some of us just can't enjoy that and are more focussed on improving what we have, rather than soaking up and enjoying the moment.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 10:08 - Aug 18 with 3911 viewsWallingford_Boy

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:26 - Aug 18 by BiGDonnie

Sup Wally, happy Friday.

Thoughts on Burgess so far this season? For me he's not put a foot wrong and I'm hoping he'll go from strength to strength. He's an absolute beast and left footed too, anyone we sign would have to wait for their opportunity.

Agreed on the striker, think it was quite telling that Jackson was bought on against Stoke.

Yo Big Man!

To be fair, Burgess has been excellent thus far, just worry how he'll fare against more mobile/technical forwards....

Maybe "challenge" Burgess would be fairer.

RIP Sir Bobby

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 10:16 - Aug 18 with 3881 viewsChurchman

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:56 - Aug 18 by Whos_blue

What "panic buying"?

The more games the current squad plays, the harder it becomes to find better replacements for those that have stepped up and are playing well in this division.
We have to remember that we are not as cash rich in comparison to last year. We can't just throw cash around and anyway, that is not MA's MO. The player search is meticulous and based on team fit, not value.
I do worry about the meltdown on here when we do eventually lose a game, especially regarding some of those players already in the cross hairs of some of us.
This is our first season back and the Championship is much tougher than when we left it.
We've had a great start and long may that continue, but when it does end, I don't want to see the unhelpful jibes at individual players, the team, KM or MA.
They gave us what we wanted last season and to date we have equalled the record of our best ever team.
As a long in the tooth supporter, I couldn't be happier with the rejuvination the current set up have brought to our club.
I fear that some of us just can't enjoy that and are more focussed on improving what we have, rather than soaking up and enjoying the moment.

The only thing I disagree with is that the Championship is much tougher than when we left it. I’ve seen little evidence of that so far. But that’s only two games so you may be right.

Fully agree regarding the reaction when we lose a game. The meltdown will be huge and the usual suspects including dear old Bobsthename will be in full cry.

The run we’ve been on is extraordinary. It isn’t just the results, it’s the manner of them. That has to end sometime, possibly tomorrow, and when it does I will just think on how far we have come from March 2021. I’m not enjoying the moment. I’m loving it! I never thought I’d see the club regenerate as it has.
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 10:23 - Aug 18 with 3836 viewsWhos_blue

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 10:16 - Aug 18 by Churchman

The only thing I disagree with is that the Championship is much tougher than when we left it. I’ve seen little evidence of that so far. But that’s only two games so you may be right.

Fully agree regarding the reaction when we lose a game. The meltdown will be huge and the usual suspects including dear old Bobsthename will be in full cry.

The run we’ve been on is extraordinary. It isn’t just the results, it’s the manner of them. That has to end sometime, possibly tomorrow, and when it does I will just think on how far we have come from March 2021. I’m not enjoying the moment. I’m loving it! I never thought I’d see the club regenerate as it has.

I guess we're just a couple of "happy clappers"!

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 10:39 - Aug 18 with 3725 viewsGavTWTD

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 10:16 - Aug 18 by Churchman

Teams are still finding their feet. We've been promoted with a settled squad whereas other teams are bedding in new players. We're beating teams that are put in front of us, but it's been tense at times and not got our possession game sorted yet. We will make mistakes at the back I'm sure and I hope they (and the fans especially) rally from that. Maybe back to the Burley days of scoring more than the opposition but so far we're doing exceptionally well and long may that continue.

I don't want this to appear a negative post given our start, but I'm natually pessimistic about things, but even so I think we'll push for the play offs this season. I think that will give us the platform to improve our squad in the next 2 windows. There's also still a chance we'll nab a few Premiership players once their squads have been sorted.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 10:40 - Aug 18 with 3717 viewstractorboy1978

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:56 - Aug 18 by Whos_blue

What "panic buying"?

Don't think it is particularly controversial to say Ahadme and Camara were panic signings is it?

Camara was half fit and said himself he only knew of our interest the day before we eventually signed him.

Ahadme was signed off the back of playing well against us when we couldn't get Hirst and thought we were a striker short.

It's a good thing that we only seem to want to sign players we really want and have done our diligence on this summer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024