Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers 07:42 - Aug 18 with 7140 viewsBondiBlue

He says signing loads of new players would tell those currently here that the club don't think they're good enough.

I think we need to give players the chance to fail before replacing them. Donacien, burgess, hladky, burns certainly haven't failed yet. Even taylor can't get in. Save our money until january and see how we go?
[Post edited 18 Aug 2023 7:43]

Poll: Which would you accept?

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 10:42 - Aug 18 with 1409 viewsDinDjarin

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 08:44 - Aug 18 by Wallingford_Boy

We need two -

Centre back to replace Burgess.
Centre forward to challenge Hirst/replace Ladapo.

Burgess was outstanding last season and has started the same this season.

He deserves the chance to keep the shirt and why so many want him out the team I do not understand, he's quality.
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 10:49 - Aug 18 with 1378 viewsLankHenners

Thing is any new player coming in to any team will have an impact on the players already at the club and those players aren't so daft they don't understand that. They've had to show so much resilience and willingness to fight for a place since they were a kid just to get to this point. What we know about the dressing room anyway is that it seems like the sort of place that wouldn't see any moping about or unhappiness spreading through it.

Ashton's repeatedly said we're going to be ruthless in the pursuit of adding new players (he even said we were 'down the line' with 2 or 3 three weeks ago!), McKenna's emphasised the need to add more players, the club captain has gone on national radio stations and announced we need to sign a few more.

Everyone from those 3 figureheads to the average fan knows it's not about just getting in whoever we can get, not sure why it's become the narrative that anyone suggesting (off the back of the words from aforementioned senior figures) we need a few more in just wants to randomly sign anyone available.

If we end up not signing anyone else to try again in January then that would be seen as a huge failure internally.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 10:59 - Aug 18 with 1338 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:26 - Aug 18 by BiGDonnie

Sup Wally, happy Friday.

Thoughts on Burgess so far this season? For me he's not put a foot wrong and I'm hoping he'll go from strength to strength. He's an absolute beast and left footed too, anyone we sign would have to wait for their opportunity.

Agreed on the striker, think it was quite telling that Jackson was bought on against Stoke.

Wouldn’t normally disagree with you but I don’t think it was telling in the way you mean to bring on Jackson instead of Ladapo.

Every single person in the ground, including me, thought Jackson was coming on for Burns on Saturday. The only thing telling, is that McKenna reads the game better than any of us and could see the game was going to get stretched and so knew we needed Jackson’s pace up top rather than Ladapo’s hold up play.

And he was right.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:04 - Aug 18 with 1325 viewsPhilTWTD

I don't think there was ever any intention of signing loads of players this summer, indeed I think Mark Ashton said as much in May. The squad was assembled with a view to the Championship in the first place so the aim is, as Kieran said a couple of weeks ago, to add quality to what's already here while contining to work to improve the players currently in the squad.

McKenna: We're Working Hard to Add to the Squad 4th Aug 2023 16:39
Boss Kieran McKenna says Town are continuing to work hard on adding the the four players signed this summer. 26

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:07 - Aug 18 with 1299 viewsBiGDonnie

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 10:59 - Aug 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

Wouldn’t normally disagree with you but I don’t think it was telling in the way you mean to bring on Jackson instead of Ladapo.

Every single person in the ground, including me, thought Jackson was coming on for Burns on Saturday. The only thing telling, is that McKenna reads the game better than any of us and could see the game was going to get stretched and so knew we needed Jackson’s pace up top rather than Ladapo’s hold up play.

And he was right.

All good. He definitely was right.

I like Ladapo and hope he's given a chance, that said I think there's a clear gap in quality to Hirst so if we do bring someone in on his level I can see Ladapo really struggling for game time. Jacksons pace and versatility will see him get plenty of opportunities I think.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:07 - Aug 18 with 1305 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:04 - Aug 18 by PhilTWTD

I don't think there was ever any intention of signing loads of players this summer, indeed I think Mark Ashton said as much in May. The squad was assembled with a view to the Championship in the first place so the aim is, as Kieran said a couple of weeks ago, to add quality to what's already here while contining to work to improve the players currently in the squad.

McKenna: We're Working Hard to Add to the Squad 4th Aug 2023 16:39
Boss Kieran McKenna says Town are continuing to work hard on adding the the four players signed this summer. 26

Also worth many remembering that the last time we were promoted to the Prem, there was very little player trading and look what happened.

Then look what happened the following season when we started splashing the cash we got from selling Plug to Arsenal.

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:10 - Aug 18 with 1269 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:07 - Aug 18 by BiGDonnie

All good. He definitely was right.

I like Ladapo and hope he's given a chance, that said I think there's a clear gap in quality to Hirst so if we do bring someone in on his level I can see Ladapo really struggling for game time. Jacksons pace and versatility will see him get plenty of opportunities I think.

You might be right, still think Jackson is the preferred option to push Burns though, especially, (based on how the subs have gone) Hutchinson seems to be the back up for Chappers no10 role.

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:10 - Aug 18 with 1276 viewsTrequartista

Strongly disagree. Should we have not signed Clarke, Broadhead, Hirst and Luongo on the basis that it would have told Donacien, Harness, Ladapo and Evans that they weren’t good enough?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:12 - Aug 18 with 1268 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:10 - Aug 18 by Trequartista

Strongly disagree. Should we have not signed Clarke, Broadhead, Hirst and Luongo on the basis that it would have told Donacien, Harness, Ladapo and Evans that they weren’t good enough?

Who did we have in the squad that could challenge for those specific positions?
2 players for every position.

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:17 - Aug 18 with 1251 viewsTrequartista

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:12 - Aug 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

Who did we have in the squad that could challenge for those specific positions?
2 players for every position.

Vincent-young Aluko Humphries John-Jules.

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:19 - Aug 18 with 1250 viewsPhilTWTD

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:07 - Aug 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

Also worth many remembering that the last time we were promoted to the Prem, there was very little player trading and look what happened.

Then look what happened the following season when we started splashing the cash we got from selling Plug to Arsenal.

True, and I think that continuity was a big factor in our success and the management having confidence in those players. The plan for the last two years has been to build a Championship squad in League One, so no surprise that there hasn't been a major overhaul of of the squad this summer.
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:21 - Aug 18 with 1232 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:17 - Aug 18 by Trequartista

Vincent-young Aluko Humphries John-Jules.

2 of which no longer at the club, and one being considered for a loan.
Aluko not really a wide left player.

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:22 - Aug 18 with 1216 viewsHorsham

Don’t really agree.

The club is ambitious and will improve the team within FFP constraints and also on the basis of getting value for money. McKenna will also have a very clear idea of who he thinks is ready for the next stage of the journey and who isn’t.

Where I do agree to a point is that i think we are in quite a nice position with our squad quality that we don’t have to panic and buy.

It’s a journey and we’ll take every opportunity we can to get to the destination as soon as possible but if it takes a little more time then so be it.
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:38 - Aug 18 with 1129 viewscressi

Absolutely No although last year we done exceptionally well in January normally January is a difficult month to get the right deals at the right price done.
A complete overhaul is not required but a couple of top quality championship players could make all the difference every level you .overhaul up a league you have to improve with better players no room for sentiment I'm afraid
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:47 - Aug 18 with 1114 viewsburnbudgiesburn

You should always be looking to upgrade, but it is definitely harder at this level than L1

Ideally, besides say a Cathcart type signing to bulk out the squad and provide a Keogh like level of experience you want to be buying better players than you already have in the 1st XI.

I don't think it's a bad mark against Ashton at all if we consider the window a 'failure' in that we should always aim to get quality and aim high and miss sometimes. It happens.

We are also in a decent position where I'm comfortable with the squad we have and we can reassess January.
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 12:04 - Aug 18 with 1072 viewstextbackup

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 09:00 - Aug 18 by BondiBlue

Burgess who was my MOM at sunderland and very solid against stoke?

Challenge maybe, replace seems harsh now.

Yep, you don’t disrespect a bloke that was part of an unbeaten team for about 2846 games last season, and has started this season really well.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 12:06 - Aug 18 with 1060 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 12:04 - Aug 18 by textbackup

Yep, you don’t disrespect a bloke that was part of an unbeaten team for about 2846 games last season, and has started this season really well.

I think Burgess might be Wally's new 'Jacko'

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 12:53 - Aug 18 with 1003 viewsWarkystache

I'm hoping we sign Colby Bishop from Pompey. But I'm not fussed if we don't in this window.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 13:17 - Aug 18 with 965 viewsjasondozzell

Completely agree. How brilliant would it be to have success at this level with players like Burgess, Donacien, Jackson etc?

One of the many excellent aspects of McKenna is his willingness to work with players and improve them.

We're a team and these players have earned their place. I wouldn't swap Burgess for Van Dijk , Burns for Salah or Luongo for Rice frankly. This is our team and they are great to watch.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2023 13:19]
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 13:59 - Aug 18 with 907 viewsTrequartista

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:21 - Aug 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

2 of which no longer at the club, and one being considered for a loan.
Aluko not really a wide left player.

We are talking about at the time of those purchases in January when they were in the first 22. The fact none of them are now in the first 22 is primarily because of those four signings.

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 14:04 - Aug 18 with 894 viewsBondiBlue

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 11:10 - Aug 18 by Trequartista

Interesting point. I'm advocating giving those currently in the building a chance until jan before changing. We made the signings you mentioned in january.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 14:33 - Aug 18 with 864 viewstractorboy1978

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 14:04 - Aug 18 by BondiBlue

Interesting point. I'm advocating giving those currently in the building a chance until jan before changing. We made the signings you mentioned in january.

If we can get the players McKenna wants that will improve the squad, we should do it now. If we can't then we shouldn't panic sign and we go with what we have.
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 15:09 - Aug 18 with 812 viewsTrequartista

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 14:04 - Aug 18 by BondiBlue

I’m not against giving the current players a chance as we are currently doing where Taylor and Hutchinson are concerned. I am disagreeing with not making the new signings at all.

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 15:21 - Aug 18 with 795 viewsHeathlander

The team we have now would smash the team that went down. I can't remember the Championship being that scary in the 15 years we were in it. Unless it has improved significantly in the last four years, then we should do fairly well.

Our current team is miles better than any of the previous teams we had in the championship.
Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 18:09 - Aug 18 with 720 viewstextbackup

Agree with watson on KOA re: transfers on 15:21 - Aug 18 by Heathlander

The team we have now would smash the team that went down. I can't remember the Championship being that scary in the 15 years we were in it. Unless it has improved significantly in the last four years, then we should do fairly well.

Our current team is miles better than any of the previous teams we had in the championship.

I hadn’t considered the score between this lot vs that lot!
Jesus Christ, it would be a 5/6-0…

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024