Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing 07:48 - Aug 7 with 5398 viewsDubtractor

More that that though, this surely indicates a real move towards a passing game.

I'm quite glad we didn't get hugill in January now!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:05 - Aug 7 with 5319 viewsSteve_M

I think Garner showed on Saturday that we didn't necessarily need a like for like replacement for Murphy but we did lack someone who would put defenders under pressure constantly.

I quite like the idea of Waghorn too, he has always scored goals and I'm not too fussed about Rangers fans not rating him. That should give us a nice balance between four experienced forwards (as long as Mick doesn't repeat the mistakes of 15-16 and try and shoehorn all of them on the pitch).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:08 - Aug 7 with 5299 viewshomer_123

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:05 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

I think Garner showed on Saturday that we didn't necessarily need a like for like replacement for Murphy but we did lack someone who would put defenders under pressure constantly.

I quite like the idea of Waghorn too, he has always scored goals and I'm not too fussed about Rangers fans not rating him. That should give us a nice balance between four experienced forwards (as long as Mick doesn't repeat the mistakes of 15-16 and try and shoehorn all of them on the pitch).

Although Waggers can play out wide, I wonder if this means Sears's opportunity as an out and out striker are going to be very limited now?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:12 - Aug 7 with 5264 viewsDanTheMan

Definitely a good striker in there, just hoping TC can work a little big of magic on him like he did Murphy.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:18 - Aug 7 with 5227 viewsSteve_M

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:08 - Aug 7 by homer_123

Although Waggers can play out wide, I wonder if this means Sears's opportunity as an out and out striker are going to be very limited now?

Quite possibly.

Despite the claims that "Mick ruined him" it looks increasingly the case that Sears' form in 2014-15 was the outlier He'll still score and create a good number of goals per season but I think he'll miss too many chances (see Saturday) to be a regular starter in a front two.

It does give us options though, bringing Sears and Rowe off the bench against tired defenders for example.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2017 8:33]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:24 - Aug 7 with 5166 viewsitfcjoe

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:18 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

Quite possibly.

Despite the claims that "Mick ruined him" it looks increasingly the case that Sears' form in 2014-15 was the outlier He'll still score and create a good number of goals per season but I think he'll miss too many chances (see Saturday) to be a regular starter in a front two.

It does give us options though, bringing Sears and Rowe off the bench against tired defenders for example.

I like Sears, but he's just not a good finisher - especially when he has any time to think about it. Even his run of a few goals at the end of the season included 2 sitters he missed and picked up the rebound from for an open goal (Wigan and Burton).

He's not clinical, I personally think he's better out wide

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:30 - Aug 7 with 5118 viewshomer_123

Quite possibly.

I'd argree with you there. He had ample opportunity last season as a striker and, for whatever reasons, he's not looked like the finisher was was when he first joined.

Impact sub or alternative option as opposed to outright starter as a striker for sure now.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:30 - Aug 7 with 5118 viewsBasuco

Joe Garner found a lot of space on Saturday, always peeling off the defender, pulling them apart always on the move, we have not had a striker like that for a long time. With the movement of Garner and great mobility of Waghorn we could, just could be in for some exciting times this season.
Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:31 - Aug 7 with 5112 viewsReuser_is_God

I don't rate him that highly but got to give him a chance.

I think, regardless of who else we sign, Garber & McGoldrick will be our 1st choice partnership when fit.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:36 - Aug 7 with 5079 viewsSomethingBlue

I've never actually been a big fan but can see what he brings — always seems lively and technically decent, works hard and can also play in a number of positions across the front I think. Has had a few good spells in his career too. Will be a good, sharp squad option for us and if he can be consistent enough to be better than that, then great. We aren't shaping up too badly for options.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2017 8:38]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:39 - Aug 7 with 5046 viewsITFCBlues

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:31 - Aug 7 by Reuser_is_God

I don't rate him that highly but got to give him a chance.

I think, regardless of who else we sign, Garber & McGoldrick will be our 1st choice partnership when fit.

Same here , but then I didn't rate Garner and he looks like a decent signing.

Wonder if we may see Waghorn wide right as well with McG and Garner up top

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:43 - Aug 7 with 5004 viewstractorboy1978

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:24 - Aug 7 by itfcjoe

I like Sears, but he's just not a good finisher - especially when he has any time to think about it. Even his run of a few goals at the end of the season included 2 sitters he missed and picked up the rebound from for an open goal (Wigan and Burton).

I just don't think Sears is good enough for the starting 11 unfortunately. A willing runner and cannot fault his work rate but his end product isn't good enough whether that be finishing, final pass or delivering a ball into the box. Waghorn is actually a very similar player but more consistent in the final third.
Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:48 - Aug 7 with 4966 viewsRadlett_blue

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:05 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

If you look at his record, Waghorn has only really scored goals in the Scottish 2nd division, when Rangers romped the league. Not as terrible player but no more than a like-for-like replacement for Pitman IMO.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:49 - Aug 7 with 4964 viewsArnieM

Having watched most of the pre season games, I can say hand on heart , Town's style of football really does appear to have moved forward to a more entertaining and fluid pass and move style . Were going to surprise a few this season.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:52 - Aug 7 with 4940 viewstractorboy1978

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:48 - Aug 7 by Radlett_blue

If you look at his record, Waghorn has only really scored goals in the Scottish 2nd division, when Rangers romped the league. Not as terrible player but no more than a like-for-like replacement for Pitman IMO.

It's nice to be signing a player on a decent run of goalscoring form regardless of the level. Better than signing the likes of Best, Moore and Samuel.
Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:01 - Aug 7 with 4901 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

Seems able to score from a range of positions and looks technically very decent. Could be a good bit of business, a bit like Garner.

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:11 - Aug 7 with 4832 viewsRadlett_blue

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:01 - Aug 7 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

Seems able to score from a range of positions and looks technically very decent. Could be a good bit of business, a bit like Garner.

Sam Parkin looked like Pele on his video highlights. We must have signed his talentless twin borther.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:13 - Aug 7 with 4805 viewsitfcjoe

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:48 - Aug 7 by Radlett_blue

He's got more of an all round game than Pitman from what I saw of him when he played in England - bustling powerful striker who runs very hard.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:27 - Aug 7 with 4727 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone else at Rangers we can nab?

Are Rangers actually any good?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:33 - Aug 7 with 4681 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:27 - Aug 7 by StokieBlue

Anyone else at Rangers we can nab?

Are Rangers actually any good?

SB

Harry Forrester-been told he can leave as well.

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:35 - Aug 7 with 4665 viewsHarryWright

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 08:24 - Aug 7 by itfcjoe

Agree with all of that other than the better out wide part - I think he should be used as an impact sub up front because his pace can be effective against tired defenders, his crossing and final ball is too poor for a winger.
Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:36 - Aug 7 with 4667 viewsMullet

If you go back to that 6-0 hammering at Leicester Waghorn destroyed us.

He had such good options around him, Nugent's second goal was a simple tap in from a Waghorn shot where he just floated in from the wing and hit it across the goal mouth forcing the parry right on to Nugent's foot.

Similarly he sent away Dyer for a clear run at goal to score and bagged one himself.

His goal against us for Wigan was again him finding space completely unmarked and driving it home.

Not sure he'll please the purists at all, he's very Mick like in his play.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:38 - Aug 7 with 4637 viewsSomethingBlue

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:35 - Aug 7 by HarryWright

Agree with all of that other than the better out wide part - I think he should be used as an impact sub up front because his pace can be effective against tired defenders, his crossing and final ball is too poor for a winger.

Not sure I agree with the latter — his assists record is good for us. He's at his best as a wide man in a three, which was my impression when he joined and I've not seen anything to persuade me otherwise since. Been lots of nonsense written about his position, in my view.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:45 - Aug 7 with 4593 viewsBlueBadger

Quite possibly.

I came to a similar conclusion last season that Sears is best employed coming off the bench for the last 20 to run at tiring defenders. I suspect he bagged as many as he did in 14/15 precisely because they'd already had Murphy battering and pestering them all match.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Always rated waghorn, will be a good signing on 09:57 - Aug 7 with 4559 viewsStokieBlue

"Waghorn made 63 starts and 15 sub appearances, scoring 44 goals"

That's not a bad ratio at all, although was in the lower Scottish divisions. 16 in the SPL last season.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024