Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Sun 07:26 - Nov 11 with 20094 viewsBenters

You know the newspaper the hipsters on here love to hate,has raised £1M in its 'Old pounds for poppies appeal' great stuff.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

The Sun on 07:39 - Nov 11 with 9837 viewsStirlingArcher

they've done one good thing

that doesn't, unfortunately, make them even remotely good as a whole

It's like saying Harold Shipman held the door open for an old lady once
The Sun on 07:45 - Nov 11 with 9808 viewsBenters

The Sun on 07:39 - Nov 11 by StirlingArcher

they've done one good thing

that doesn't, unfortunately, make them even remotely good as a whole

It's like saying Harold Shipman held the door open for an old lady once

You are not a fan then?

Gentlybentley

The Sun on 07:53 - Nov 11 with 9788 viewsSteve_M

Is that the truth?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Sun on 08:01 - Nov 11 with 9762 viewsBenters

The Sun on 07:53 - Nov 11 by Steve_M

Is that the truth?

I can see what you did there you little tinker!

Gentlybentley

The Sun on 08:02 - Nov 11 with 9781 viewsEastTownBlue

Does that mean that they count anyone who has donated old pound coins as a Sun reader (even though the Royal British Legion promoted this at the beginning of October).

Regardless, it sounds as though this year's appeal has been a great success.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2017 8:03]
The Sun on 08:06 - Nov 11 with 9763 viewsTLA

The Sun on 07:45 - Nov 11 by Benters

You are not a fan then?

I'm always intrigued that my parents (in their 80s) have always bought copies The Sun and The Mirror every day.

They've voted Labour for more than 60 years, will wear poppies and are worried about immigration.

The left v right arguments that so many things boil down to are not always that clear cut and people shouldn't always be categorised by their choice of newspaper, or their decision to wear (or not wear) a poppy.

I guess what I'm saying (very clumsily) is that reading The Sun and wearing a poppy doesn't make you right wing and being a lifelong lefty doesn't make you turn your back The Sun and the poppy.
The Sun on 09:12 - Nov 11 with 9651 viewsSchmoke

The Sun on 08:06 - Nov 11 by TLA

I'm always intrigued that my parents (in their 80s) have always bought copies The Sun and The Mirror every day.

They've voted Labour for more than 60 years, will wear poppies and are worried about immigration.

The left v right arguments that so many things boil down to are not always that clear cut and people shouldn't always be categorised by their choice of newspaper, or their decision to wear (or not wear) a poppy.

I guess what I'm saying (very clumsily) is that reading The Sun and wearing a poppy doesn't make you right wing and being a lifelong lefty doesn't make you turn your back The Sun and the poppy.

Good god man that's probably the most truthful thing I've ever read on this forum.

Bloody well said.
The Sun on 09:20 - Nov 11 with 9626 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think wearing poppies and being worried about immigration is an age thing as much as, if not more than, what paper you read.

Could it be that whichever read The Mirror influenced the other to vote Labour? I know my mum has always voted Tory, but that's from being influenced by my Sun reading dad.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

The Sun on 10:09 - Nov 11 with 9564 viewsfactual_blue

As is so often the case with the tabloids, they pretend this was their appeal. It wasn't. The RBL said they'd happily accept old pound coins as donations. That the sun wrote about this fact doesn't make it 'their' campaign.

I think you know that, but just like trying to annoy people, you silly old cyclist.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The Sun on 10:09 - Nov 11 with 9548 viewsfactual_blue

The Sun on 08:02 - Nov 11 by EastTownBlue

Does that mean that they count anyone who has donated old pound coins as a Sun reader (even though the Royal British Legion promoted this at the beginning of October).

Didn't spot you'd made this point.

So what? on 10:11 - Nov 11 with 9548 viewsDyland

Oh Benters, stop trolling just for a moment x

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The Sun on 10:13 - Nov 11 with 9545 viewsBergholtBru

I`m not a hipster but I detest the Sun!!

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Indeed on 10:16 - Nov 11 with 9537 viewsDyland

The Sun on 08:02 - Nov 11 by EastTownBlue

The RBL's poppy appeal is a good thing. And regardless if you wear the bloody thing or not.

The Sun is a piggy backer. They also usually actually spin sh1t in a manner quite disrespectful to boot.

Having said that I have absolutely no axe to grind with people who read the Sun, that would be absurd. I do however have a big issue with the paper's ownership.

Eloquently put Bergers :) (n/t) on 10:17 - Nov 11 with 9529 viewsDyland

The Sun on 10:13 - Nov 11 by BergholtBru

I`m not a hipster but I detest the Sun!!

The Sun on 10:29 - Nov 11 with 9511 viewsTLA

The Sun on 09:20 - Nov 11 by BrixtonBlue

I think wearing poppies and being worried about immigration is an age thing as much as, if not more than, what paper you read.

Could it be that whichever read The Mirror influenced the other to vote Labour? I know my mum has always voted Tory, but that's from being influenced by my Sun reading dad.

I'm not sure about poppies - it makes sense that older people continue to wear them because they always have done. I just don't think they have to be a symbol of anyone's political allegiance, which might be increasingly the case.

With the papers and my parents, both have always voted Labour and both have always read both papers. I think day to day life influences their decisions more than what they read, which was more for their entertainment (and the sport for dad!).

Sometimes I talk to them about me teaching them to use the internet - then I think they're probably better off without it...
The Sun on 10:31 - Nov 11 with 9510 viewsTerry_Nutkins

It is an absolute disgrace of a newspaper. it's a cancerous vehicle for promoting lies and exageration to the detriment of anyone is chooses and quite frankly to those who read it. It is despicable. That's about as close to a compliment i can pay it. The Mail maybe just about tops it as the most abhorent as it somehow feels more covert filth (at least most people can see the sun for what it is).

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

The Sun on 11:36 - Nov 11 with 9423 viewsJ2BLUE

Did they simply ask for people to donate and then say they raised the money?

If so that's completely different from people who get sponsored on here for actually doing something. The Sun would have done nothing except think of a reasonably clever idea.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Sun on 11:41 - Nov 11 with 9408 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Sun on 10:31 - Nov 11 by Terry_Nutkins

It is an absolute disgrace of a newspaper. it's a cancerous vehicle for promoting lies and exageration to the detriment of anyone is chooses and quite frankly to those who read it. It is despicable. That's about as close to a compliment i can pay it. The Mail maybe just about tops it as the most abhorent as it somehow feels more covert filth (at least most people can see the sun for what it is).

I'm an absolute hypocrite when it comes to the sun.

I'm completely against what they did on Hillsbrough and all of that stuff. However, when I'm off to the horse racing or there's a big meeting I'm at home watching, I'll buy a copy of thentacing post and The Sun.

What can I say - I like their racing pullout section.'

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

The Sun on 11:41 - Nov 11 with 9407 viewsWD19

You are, of course, right.

That said, it would take a special kind of masochistic Tory to buy the Daily Mirror every day....

The Sun on the other hand flits about depending on the direction of the wind. They like backing a winner and claiming the credit.
The Sun on 11:43 - Nov 11 with 9400 viewsbrogansnose

My grandfather always read the Mail or Express and absolutely hated the Tories.
The Sun on 11:47 - Nov 11 with 9394 viewsWD19

The Sun on 11:41 - Nov 11 by The_Romford_Blue

I'm an absolute hypocrite when it comes to the sun.

I'm completely against what they did on Hillsbrough and all of that stuff. However, when I'm off to the horse racing or there's a big meeting I'm at home watching, I'll buy a copy of thentacing post and The Sun.

What can I say - I like their racing pullout section.'

I am the same......

.....with Deidres photo casebook....
The Sun on 11:52 - Nov 11 with 9379 viewsfactual_blue

The Sun on 11:36 - Nov 11 by J2BLUE

Did they simply ask for people to donate and then say they raised the money?

If so that's completely different from people who get sponsored on here for actually doing something. The Sun would have done nothing except think of a reasonably clever idea.

They have pretended a RBL initiative was theirs.

Despicable.

The Sun on 12:18 - Nov 11 with 9364 viewsBlueBadger

Give the Sun their due, they've done a lot for homeless and disabled veterans. With their jingoistic support for various conflicts of dubious legality and/or purpose and cheerleading for cuts to public services they've helped to create a lot more of them, for starters.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Sun on 12:22 - Nov 11 with 9340 viewsBlueBadger

The Sun on 11:52 - Nov 11 by factual_blue

They have pretended a RBL initiative was theirs.

Despicable.

Lest we forget, here's a good example of the respect the News International group have for Our Brave Boys.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14052909
[Post edited 11 Nov 2017 14:34]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Sun on 12:51 - Nov 11 with 9292 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Sun on 10:29 - Nov 11 by TLA

I'm not sure about poppies - it makes sense that older people continue to wear them because they always have done. I just don't think they have to be a symbol of anyone's political allegiance, which might be increasingly the case.

With the papers and my parents, both have always voted Labour and both have always read both papers. I think day to day life influences their decisions more than what they read, which was more for their entertainment (and the sport for dad!).

Sometimes I talk to them about me teaching them to use the internet - then I think they're probably better off without it...

I've never considered the poppy to be a symbol of anyone's political allegiance.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024