Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? 09:30 - Apr 6 with 3210 viewsblueysbackside

Why would we want him in charge? I didn't even know who he was until the rumours circulated about him earlier in the season. All I know about him is what I have read - and I take all that with a pinch of salt. I have never seen his team play - and I am guessing 95 per cent of our fans are in a similar boat. And yet he is the No 1 choice for many Ipswich fans!!!! This is staggering in my opinion.
Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:30 - Apr 6 with 2858 viewsDanTheMan

But he's Dutch!

Don't worry about anything else, that'll see us straight to promotion.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:31 - Apr 6 with 2852 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Not sure we need another thread on this.

;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:31 - Apr 6 with 2852 viewsdirtyboy

Yeah but he's Dutch, total football of course!
Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:31 - Apr 6 with 2864 viewsKieran_Knows

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:33 - Apr 6 with 2840 viewsDanFord

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:31 - Apr 6 by Kieran_Knows

Hands up which Town fans would object to having a negative goal difference, sitting back and defending, averaging 39% possession and being pretty much safe from relegation already, but in the Premier League? I would bite your hand off.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:35 - Apr 6 with 2803 viewsKieran_Knows

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:33 - Apr 6 by DanFord

Hands up which Town fans would object to having a negative goal difference, sitting back and defending, averaging 39% possession and being pretty much safe from relegation already, but in the Premier League? I would bite your hand off.

But were in the Championship?

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:37 - Apr 6 with 2792 viewsblueysbackside

and they are 12th in the Dutch table, having scored 31 goals in 29 games, of which they have won 7.
Yuck. on 09:39 - Apr 6 with 2782 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:31 - Apr 6 by Kieran_Knows

Im not advocating Steijn, but can we please get away from using possession and passing stats as the be all and end all.

Leicester won the Premiership with an average of c.45% possession. Only West Brom and Sunderland had worse possession stats that season. Such a meaningless statistic.

It was a similar statistic for their number of passes.

Southampton are 7th for possession stats this season, with 54%. Their league position...... 18th!!

Look at the stats for Millwall and Cardiff this year.

Come on guys, we are brighter than this arent we?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:40 - Apr 6 with 2773 viewsDanFord

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:35 - Apr 6 by Kieran_Knows

So was Steijn until they won that division. So not sure why people feel his record this season is relevant when he's almost doing what Burnley are doing. What he did in a division where his team was towards the middle size wise is more relevant surely.

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:40 - Apr 6 with 2771 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

.....Huddersfield got promoted with a negative goal difference.

;-)

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:47 - Apr 6 with 2729 viewsHarryWright

They are punching waay above their weight in the top division over there.
Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:50 - Apr 6 with 2706 viewsGodBlue

Also, the previous season was a different story altogether, by all accounts...

“Last season there would be no need for 3rd time luck play-off wise as VVV won the Jupiler League, accumulating 80 points as they eased to the title. Steijn’s attacking style and strong defence was behind their success with his side scoring 75 goals last season and ending with a goal difference of +40. There achievement was more impressive considering they dominated the league despite only having the 10th biggest budget in the league.”

http://www.football-oranje.com/maurice-steijn-vvv-venlos-mr-persistence-back-ere

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

Yuck. on 09:51 - Apr 6 with 2704 viewsdirtyboy

Yuck. on 09:39 - Apr 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

Im not advocating Steijn, but can we please get away from using possession and passing stats as the be all and end all.

Leicester won the Premiership with an average of c.45% possession. Only West Brom and Sunderland had worse possession stats that season. Such a meaningless statistic.

Southampton are 7th for possession stats this season, with 54%. Their league position...... 18th!!

Probably worth me sticking my head above the parapet here because that tweet was me.

Possession isn't the be all and end all, but I did an awful lot of research on VVV (this season only) and I grant they have a small budget, but watching them, they play an incredibly similar way to us and it's not overly exciting and that league is pretty poor apart from the top three or four teams.

It's okay saying you'll take less possession for wins, but let's not do McCarthy the disservice of saying he didn't get decent 'results' with what he had, because he did.

I saw too many similarities in the style. Whether he'd bring more belief is another matter, but assuming this guy would transform us into regular winners is not an easy prediction to make.

I just don't understand the excitement around him that's all. Not saying he couldn't do it, because I like what i've heard from him and he's obviously had success.
Yuck. on 09:51 - Apr 6 with 2698 viewsKieran_Knows

I'm not against Steijn either, but it's as if some people think he's going to walzt in here and win the league at a canter and easily keep us up in top flight football!

Yuck. on 09:53 - Apr 6 with 2687 viewsKieran_Knows

Yuck. on 09:51 - Apr 6 by dirtyboy

Probably worth me sticking my head above the parapet here because that tweet was me.

Possession isn't the be all and end all, but I did an awful lot of research on VVV (this season only) and I grant they have a small budget, but watching them, they play an incredibly similar way to us and it's not overly exciting and that league is pretty poor apart from the top three or four teams.

It's okay saying you'll take less possession for wins, but let's not do McCarthy the disservice of saying he didn't get decent 'results' with what he had, because he did.

I saw too many similarities in the style. Whether he'd bring more belief is another matter, but assuming this guy would transform us into regular winners is not an easy prediction to make.

I just don't understand the excitement around him that's all. Not saying he couldn't do it, because I like what i've heard from him and he's obviously had success.

Apologies dirtyboy, (obviously) didn't realise that was you, quite happy to take down if you don't want people knowing who you are!

Yuck. on 09:54 - Apr 6 with 2675 viewsconnorscontract

Yes, agreed, but... 39% average possession is very, very low. It suggests a team sitting deep and not playing a high pressing game- allowing the opposition time on the ball in their own half and crowding them when they attack.
Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:55 - Apr 6 with 2668 viewsDanFord

VVV Venlo 2016/17

League Eerste Divisie (Netherlands)
Position 1
Matches 38
Wins 25 (65.79%)
Draws 5 (13.16%)
Defeats 8 (21.05%)
Points (per match) 80 (2.11)
Goals scored (per match) 75 (1.97)
Goals conceded (per match) 35 (0.92)
Over 2.5 goals 23 (60.53%)
Under 2.5 goals 15 (39.47%)
Clean sheet 18 (47.37%)
Failed to score 7 (18.42%)

VVV Venlo 2015/16

League Eerste Divisie (Netherlands)
Position 2
Matches 36
Wins 23 (63.89%)
Draws 6 (16.67%)
Defeats 7 (19.44%)
Points (per match) 75 (2.08)
Goals scored (per match) 85 (2.36)
Goals conceded (per match) 39 (1.08)
Over 2.5 goals 28 (77.78%)
Under 2.5 goals 8 (22.22%)
Clean sheet 13 (36.11%)
Failed to score 2 (5.56%)
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 10:18]

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:57 - Apr 6 with 2650 viewsArcher4721

Can't see it either. Why would we want someone from Dutch League? Dutch football is in the worst state it's been in many a year and is bang average.

No thanks!
Yuck. on 09:58 - Apr 6 with 2643 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Yuck. on 09:51 - Apr 6 by dirtyboy

My post wasnt really in defence of Steijn, Im not on the Steijn bandwagon.

I guess I just dont like possession and passing stats.

Useful to read your other views on VVV though.

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 10:02 - Apr 6 with 2624 viewsmonty_radio

Steijn may not be who we need, but various posters saying of Dutch/ Scottish/ L2 managers -- "I'd never even heard of him", unless you're a statto it's quite likely you wouldn't have.

How many people say of our own youth " what is he like?" when Playford Rd or Portman Rd of an occasional Monday evening might give one an idea, if you really wanted to know.

It's for the club to scout these managers and find out what they are like. Any club who has picked up a gem (Robson included) have probably done so by thorough due diligence. We hope, even as we doubt it, that Town are doing the same.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 10:07 - Apr 6 with 2604 viewsBlueBadger

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 09:30 - Apr 6 by DanTheMan

But he's Dutch!

Don't worry about anything else, that'll see us straight to promotion.

Well, a previously little-known overseas manager has worked wonders for Norwich this season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 10:15 - Apr 6 with 2575 viewssolemio

We still are, you know.
Yuck. on 10:17 - Apr 6 with 2569 viewsdirtyboy

Yuck. on 09:53 - Apr 6 by Kieran_Knows

Apologies dirtyboy, (obviously) didn't realise that was you, quite happy to take down if you don't want people knowing who you are!

No it's fine.

I just like perspective, so given his name was being bandied about so freely and with such excitement, I took a bit of time to look very carefully into vvv this season.

Like I said, didn't touch on last season's achievements.

He could well be okay, but the clamour for him was just surprising in my opinion.
Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 10:21 - Apr 6 with 2558 viewsDanFord

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 10:07 - Apr 6 by BlueBadger

Well, a previously little-known overseas manager has worked wonders for Norwich this season.

He was the manager of an U23's team though which is a world of difference from actually managing for six seasons in Holland and getting a small club to 14th and 9th and then taking over a smaller club in the second division and getting them to 9th, 2nd, 1st and then keeping them up comfortably.

Maurice Steijn - am I being thick? on 10:24 - Apr 6 with 2540 viewsPinewoodblue

No one took much notice of the Cowleys until we lost to Lincoln in the FA Cup.

Think Evans will roll the dice and take a chance on his choice of manager. Steijn fits that bill. Why select another out of work name who has been known to do it the past?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024