Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! 23:58 - May 10 with 23117 viewsBuddie

Really hope JR stays with Saints but definitely feels like there are legs to this one. So if you have any questions about him or the style we play then fire away

If we have to lose him to anyone, I'm glad it's you guys. My mum and her family are from Ipswich so have a huge soft spot for them.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:05 - May 11 with 11422 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Cheers Buddie.

First question. Is he obsessed about matching up opposition or does he like his team to play on the front foot?
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:08 - May 11 with 11415 viewsBuddie

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:05 - May 11 by Mach_foreignBlue

Cheers Buddie.

First question. Is he obsessed about matching up opposition or does he like his team to play on the front foot?

First thought is to win every game. We play the same style regardless of who we're up against and if it's home or away. It's not always worked, particularly at the start of the season when we had a couple of heavy defeats but equally there were times other teams just couldn't live with us.

He has absolute faith in his players and the system he deploys. We got drawn away to Celtic in the Scottish Cup last year and he still played the same way.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:09 - May 11 with 11402 viewsbournemouthblue

Thanks Buddie, you seem a like a decent bunch

In the Marcus Evans era, we have become accustomed to one dimensional approaches

McCarthy as you may imagine offered up a direct game with organisation and work ethic at the heart of it. We generally seemed to struggle against sides who played 5 in midfield or used more nuanced systems.

Jewell was the polar opposite, favouring positive attacking football at the behest of any defensive forethought or discipline

Keane's approach remains a mystery to this day, I'm not quite sure what his long term game plan was but he gradually sucked the life out of the whole side and left us with a bunch of cloggers who were neither particularly good at attacking or defending

So my question more than anything is whether JR is tactically adaptable, does he change the system when it isn't working, does he wrestle games from the jaws of defeat to victory etc etc. We haven't been blessed with a manager who seemingly has a plan b, let alone a plan c when it is really needed.

MM in fairness had a decent scouting setup and generally tended to pick up the odd gem and bargain

Jewell may as well be Harry Redknapp JR when it came to picking up players. He signed loads of attacking players and forgot about the defence

Keane seemed to target Sunderland and general Irish players he had heard of

What is JR's general approach to transfers, is he a believer in youth and what is he like for player development?
[Post edited 11 May 2018 0:11]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:11 - May 11 with 11370 viewsMach_foreignBlue

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:08 - May 11 by Buddie

First thought is to win every game. We play the same style regardless of who we're up against and if it's home or away. It's not always worked, particularly at the start of the season when we had a couple of heavy defeats but equally there were times other teams just couldn't live with us.

He has absolute faith in his players and the system he deploys. We got drawn away to Celtic in the Scottish Cup last year and he still played the same way.

'First thought is to win every game'.

That will absolutely do for me !!!!!! What a fresh approach that would be for us given the s**t that we had to put up with.
[Post edited 11 May 2018 0:12]
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:18 - May 11 with 11357 viewsBuddie

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:09 - May 11 by bournemouthblue

Thanks Buddie, you seem a like a decent bunch

In the Marcus Evans era, we have become accustomed to one dimensional approaches

McCarthy as you may imagine offered up a direct game with organisation and work ethic at the heart of it. We generally seemed to struggle against sides who played 5 in midfield or used more nuanced systems.

Jewell was the polar opposite, favouring positive attacking football at the behest of any defensive forethought or discipline

Keane's approach remains a mystery to this day, I'm not quite sure what his long term game plan was but he gradually sucked the life out of the whole side and left us with a bunch of cloggers who were neither particularly good at attacking or defending

So my question more than anything is whether JR is tactically adaptable, does he change the system when it isn't working, does he wrestle games from the jaws of defeat to victory etc etc. We haven't been blessed with a manager who seemingly has a plan b, let alone a plan c when it is really needed.

MM in fairness had a decent scouting setup and generally tended to pick up the odd gem and bargain

Jewell may as well be Harry Redknapp JR when it came to picking up players. He signed loads of attacking players and forgot about the defence

Keane seemed to target Sunderland and general Irish players he had heard of

What is JR's general approach to transfers, is he a believer in youth and what is he like for player development?
[Post edited 11 May 2018 0:11]

We do tend to stick to a style without much deviation. It's hard to criticise that too much though after the season we've just had.

Back four with full backs encouraged to push on, two centre mids that are very good on the ball and full of running. In front of them a left wing, right wing and one just behind the striker. Then one up top. That might sound off-putting with one up front but it's really much more like four forwards. The interplay, overlapping and switching of positions has been a joy to watch.

In terms of a plan b though? Not so much. We have a target man kind of striker who has barely played under JR. He will make substitutions if things aren't going right but it won't signal a huge change in style or a limping of balls forward for an aerial battle. That said, we're not adverse to a ball over the top for players to run on to as he likes pace to the game.

He will absolutely give youth a chance. We have had 3 or 4 players in the Scotland U21 squad for the past couple of seasons and sold youngsters to Barnsley, Derby and of course Celtic. I'd expect Kyle Magennis to be the next to go and may well follow JR if he leaves.

This forum is a bit alien to me but you should YouTube the goal we scored against Dunfermline earlier in the year to see that kind of football we play under him. Even Barcelona retweeted it!
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:26 - May 11 with 11302 viewsBinner

Am surprised nobody has asked yet...

What is his favourite cheese?

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:39 - May 11 with 11251 viewsHarryfromBath

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:18 - May 11 by Buddie

We do tend to stick to a style without much deviation. It's hard to criticise that too much though after the season we've just had.

Back four with full backs encouraged to push on, two centre mids that are very good on the ball and full of running. In front of them a left wing, right wing and one just behind the striker. Then one up top. That might sound off-putting with one up front but it's really much more like four forwards. The interplay, overlapping and switching of positions has been a joy to watch.

In terms of a plan b though? Not so much. We have a target man kind of striker who has barely played under JR. He will make substitutions if things aren't going right but it won't signal a huge change in style or a limping of balls forward for an aerial battle. That said, we're not adverse to a ball over the top for players to run on to as he likes pace to the game.

He will absolutely give youth a chance. We have had 3 or 4 players in the Scotland U21 squad for the past couple of seasons and sold youngsters to Barnsley, Derby and of course Celtic. I'd expect Kyle Magennis to be the next to go and may well follow JR if he leaves.

This forum is a bit alien to me but you should YouTube the goal we scored against Dunfermline earlier in the year to see that kind of football we play under him. Even Barcelona retweeted it!

Is this the goal? Here's a YouTube video of St Mirren's two goals against Dunfermline from January. The second goal has loads of angles of a deftly finished free-kick, but the opening goal is more special for me. Dunfermline's defence simply gets carved open with lovely passing play on the deck.

You will seldom get that much space in the Championship but the intention and execution are superb. Thanks for coming across and posting on here.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:59 - May 11 with 11157 viewsSpruceMoose

Thanks Buddie. Welcome aboard! Time to ask you one of our many induction questions! What are your thoughts on Adnams Ghostship? Favourite cheese? Favourite flavour crisps?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 01:15 - May 11 with 11109 viewsBlueBadger

Can you sort me out for tickets for Norwich away?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 05:51 - May 11 with 10869 viewsTonyHumesIpswich

Good to see that he likes to keep the ball on the deck and enjoys overlapping fullbacks. I feel Knudsen/Spence could do that job adequately, but slightly concerned that we may need to make a couple of signings in midfield to adjust to that style of play. We haven't exactly been lucky with wingers either (Ward might be able to do the job on the right but we'd need a new left-winger).

We have players who are pretty good at nullifying the opposition, and that has been how we tend to play. Before Murphy left we were also very used to extreme hoofball (since he left though we've seen much less of it). Defenders tend not to get involved in passing/attacking play (except with set pieces). If they are required to start passing the ball meaningfully to attack the opposition, it could be an issue.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 06:32 - May 11 with 10711 viewschristiand

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 05:51 - May 11 by TonyHumesIpswich

Good to see that he likes to keep the ball on the deck and enjoys overlapping fullbacks. I feel Knudsen/Spence could do that job adequately, but slightly concerned that we may need to make a couple of signings in midfield to adjust to that style of play. We haven't exactly been lucky with wingers either (Ward might be able to do the job on the right but we'd need a new left-winger).

We have players who are pretty good at nullifying the opposition, and that has been how we tend to play. Before Murphy left we were also very used to extreme hoofball (since he left though we've seen much less of it). Defenders tend not to get involved in passing/attacking play (except with set pieces). If they are required to start passing the ball meaningfully to attack the opposition, it could be an issue.

Knudsen or Kenlock on the left, but Spence is no overlapping fullback IMO, he hasn't got the legs or pace to do it. However Ward, Emmanuel or Cotter could do that job though.

Morning Buddie, are there any potential players worth keeping an eye on that JR might be interested in signing, if he is appointed as our next manager? I really do feel the Scottish market does have a few untapped gems.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 06:38 - May 11 with 10675 viewsBluefish

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:05 - May 11 by Mach_foreignBlue

Cheers Buddie.

Firstly let it go ffs. The bloke is here to talk about a new exciting young manager being linked with us and You are still throwing out negative stuff about the last chap.

2ndly we only ever played 5-3-2 regardless of the opposition towards the end and everyone still moaned because it was too defensive. We have stuck with it ever since and everyone is delighted.

Mick has gone and he is still bothering you. Time to start looking forward and being positive opposed to wallowing

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 06:53 - May 11 with 10571 viewsBuddie

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:59 - May 11 by SpruceMoose

Thanks Buddie. Welcome aboard! Time to ask you one of our many induction questions! What are your thoughts on Adnams Ghostship? Favourite cheese? Favourite flavour crisps?

Tough questions. Never tried Ghostship I'm afraid. Spent many a summer in Ipswich as a kid but only been down there as an adult once in the past 12 years and that was for a funeral. I'll try it next time I'm down though.

Is it boring to say a good old fashioned cheddar? Nice and strong flavor but not too crumbly.

Beef monster munch or roast chicken sensations alluring to mind but there are so many options.

Quite tame opinions there eh? Making us Scots seem a bit unadventurous.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 06:54 - May 11 with 10560 viewsBuddie

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 01:15 - May 11 by BlueBadger

Can you sort me out for tickets for Norwich away?

No.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 06:54 - May 11 with 10556 viewsMach_foreignBlue

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 06:38 - May 11 by Bluefish

Firstly let it go ffs. The bloke is here to talk about a new exciting young manager being linked with us and You are still throwing out negative stuff about the last chap.

2ndly we only ever played 5-3-2 regardless of the opposition towards the end and everyone still moaned because it was too defensive. We have stuck with it ever since and everyone is delighted.

Mick has gone and he is still bothering you. Time to start looking forward and being positive opposed to wallowing

Why are you so sensitive and delicate? I haven't even mentioned McCarthy. I'm asking about Ross' style of play.

But even if I were to mention him then it's rich from you what you said given your weird stance re Joe Royle as you slate him when you can.

Once again I've been asking about Ross to make it clear.
[Post edited 11 May 2018 6:58]
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 07:00 - May 11 with 10517 viewsBuddie

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 06:32 - May 11 by christiand

Knudsen or Kenlock on the left, but Spence is no overlapping fullback IMO, he hasn't got the legs or pace to do it. However Ward, Emmanuel or Cotter could do that job though.

Morning Buddie, are there any potential players worth keeping an eye on that JR might be interested in signing, if he is appointed as our next manager? I really do feel the Scottish market does have a few untapped gems.

As above, I'd expect Magennis to be the next to move on from us and could follow JR if he goes soon. The other obvious candidate is Stevie Mallam who left to Barnsley last summer but has somehow hardly played. He's small for a centre mid but and absolute gem of a player. Some of his goals at Saints were the best I've ever seen.

Sorry to say that Norwich have got a diamond in Kenny McLean, he's an excellent midfielder with an eye for goal.

The standard up here is nowhere near as bas as it gets made out to be. It's technically lacking but apart from against the old firm teams play decent football and have a go at each other.

Alex Shalk at Ross County has had a great season for a struggling team, Jordan Jones and Mulumbu at Kilmarnock, John McGinn at Hibs is a future superstar, John Souttar at Hearts a good young centre backto name a few. Loads of value to be had up here.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 07:01 - May 11 with 10480 viewsBluefish

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 06:54 - May 11 by Mach_foreignBlue

Why are you so sensitive and delicate? I haven't even mentioned McCarthy. I'm asking about Ross' style of play.

But even if I were to mention him then it's rich from you what you said given your weird stance re Joe Royle as you slate him when you can.

Once again I've been asking about Ross to make it clear.
[Post edited 11 May 2018 6:58]

Lol as if

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 07:05 - May 11 with 10471 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 07:00 - May 11 by Buddie

As above, I'd expect Magennis to be the next to move on from us and could follow JR if he goes soon. The other obvious candidate is Stevie Mallam who left to Barnsley last summer but has somehow hardly played. He's small for a centre mid but and absolute gem of a player. Some of his goals at Saints were the best I've ever seen.

Sorry to say that Norwich have got a diamond in Kenny McLean, he's an excellent midfielder with an eye for goal.

The standard up here is nowhere near as bas as it gets made out to be. It's technically lacking but apart from against the old firm teams play decent football and have a go at each other.

Alex Shalk at Ross County has had a great season for a struggling team, Jordan Jones and Mulumbu at Kilmarnock, John McGinn at Hibs is a future superstar, John Souttar at Hearts a good young centre backto name a few. Loads of value to be had up here.

“Left to Barnsley but somehow never played”

That’s probably because stepping up from a pub league isn’t easy

I am very excited by the Ross link though, exactly the sort of manager I hoped we’d go for. Thanks for your insight on here too

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 07:11 - May 11 with 10422 viewsTLA

One of my best mates who is an Ipswich fan also loves Mirren - it stemmed from primary school because their name matched his initials, which is pretty random! He now classes himself as a Mirren fan and gets up from Suffolk when he can.

He would hate to lose Jack Ross but thinks he'd be a great fit at Town. From everything I've read, I'd love him here but don't think it's close yet. We do have some very good young players, which JR seems great at working with. He'd definitely be given time but it's probably a big risk for him and us. It also seems like a potentially good step for both parties.

Thanks for sharing your insights!
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 08:11 - May 11 with 10126 viewsGeoffSentence

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:08 - May 11 by Buddie

Hmm, so first thing we know is that he is inflexible and tactically inept.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 08:14 - May 11 with 10102 viewsHerbivore

Really interesting stuff Buddie, thank you. I like the sound of Ross but I am a bit worried about his lack of tactical flexibility and how well his approach will work in a league like the Championship which is very physical and allows for little time and space on the ball.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 08:17 - May 11 with 10073 viewsbournemouthblue

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 00:18 - May 11 by Buddie

That all sounds good to me, that goes back to previous points where people were asking whether he likes to match up the opposition or likes to play on the front foot

I like the suggestion that he like to replicate match situations so that finishing for example, becomes second nature. That is how it should be in my opinion.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 08:30 - May 11 with 9989 viewsNo9

Welcome to the world of Ipswich
Your team won the division you contested by a big margin
You deserve for somethign good to come out of this.

Ipswich have lost good managers in the past so your future challlenges are something we understand
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 08:50 - May 11 with 9894 viewsBuddie

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 07:05 - May 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

“Left to Barnsley but somehow never played”

That’s probably because stepping up from a pub league isn’t easy

I am very excited by the Ross link though, exactly the sort of manager I hoped we’d go for. Thanks for your insight on here too

I trust you watch a lot of Scottish football to make such an informed opinion?

Countless players have went from Scotland to the championship and performed well. The ridiculous spending in the top flights in England doesn't necessarily equate to better quality.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 08:53 - May 11 with 9869 viewsVic

You say that he has a clear plan a and sticks to it. In one sense I really like that. But in the championship it can lead to problems once teams have found you out unless the players you have a really very good and so can over come the other teams blocking tactics.

So my question is whether you feel that in a different situation, like ITFC in the championship and with limited funding, he has it in him to learn pragmatism and the need for a plan b in any given match?

I would hope with time, which he would certainly be given here, he would build a team with players capable of forcing their style on other teams. That would be such a welcome change as Micks philosophy was very much to match other teams and then sneak a win. I want us to get back to the days when other team had to th8nk how to stop us.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024