Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! 23:58 - May 10 with 23265 viewsBuddie

Really hope JR stays with Saints but definitely feels like there are legs to this one. So if you have any questions about him or the style we play then fire away

If we have to lose him to anyone, I'm glad it's you guys. My mum and her family are from Ipswich so have a huge soft spot for them.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 08:54 - May 11 with 4810 viewsBuddie

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 08:14 - May 11 by Herbivore

Really interesting stuff Buddie, thank you. I like the sound of Ross but I am a bit worried about his lack of tactical flexibility and how well his approach will work in a league like the Championship which is very physical and allows for little time and space on the ball.

It's maybe unfair of me to paint him as inflexible. Since January 2017 our form has been ridiculous so he's had no real reason to change our style or ethos. When he came in we were so adrift at the bottom of the league that we had to go for it and just never looked back.

One thing he is though is ruthless. He's an incredibly nice, polite and well spoken man but he moved on virtually any entire squad in six months because he didn't rate them or see them fitting what he wanted to do so if you have players on your books coasting through then they'll be out the door sharpish.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 08:59 - May 11 with 4784 viewsVic

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 08:54 - May 11 by Buddie

It's maybe unfair of me to paint him as inflexible. Since January 2017 our form has been ridiculous so he's had no real reason to change our style or ethos. When he came in we were so adrift at the bottom of the league that we had to go for it and just never looked back.

One thing he is though is ruthless. He's an incredibly nice, polite and well spoken man but he moved on virtually any entire squad in six months because he didn't rate them or see them fitting what he wanted to do so if you have players on your books coasting through then they'll be out the door sharpish.

Sounds like the sort of bloke our players would like. We have a decent and honest squad; not many coasters and many supporters think they could play better if the shackles of a ‘stop the other team first’ approach was dropped. Sounds like he could be just the man to get the best from what we have and to build on it to improve. Can’t ask for more than that.

My big worry as previous is if he’s humble/wise enough to learn that he HAS to have a plan b.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 09:02 - May 11 with 4763 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 08:50 - May 11 by Buddie

I trust you watch a lot of Scottish football to make such an informed opinion?

Countless players have went from Scotland to the championship and performed well. The ridiculous spending in the top flights in England doesn't necessarily equate to better quality.

Haha, oh dear 🙈

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 09:08 - May 11 with 4728 viewsTIB

Top work Buddie.

Out of interest, do you reckon there is any players that Jack would try and bring with him? I had a quick look on your Soccerway page and Lewis Morgan seems to have had quite the season for you, 14 goals in 35 games but by all accounts he was on loan from Celtic but it sounds like he plays a similar role to Celina.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 09:26 - May 11 with 4681 viewsBuddie

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 08:53 - May 11 by Vic

You say that he has a clear plan a and sticks to it. In one sense I really like that. But in the championship it can lead to problems once teams have found you out unless the players you have a really very good and so can over come the other teams blocking tactics.

So my question is whether you feel that in a different situation, like ITFC in the championship and with limited funding, he has it in him to learn pragmatism and the need for a plan b in any given match?

I would hope with time, which he would certainly be given here, he would build a team with players capable of forcing their style on other teams. That would be such a welcome change as Micks philosophy was very much to match other teams and then sneak a win. I want us to get back to the days when other team had to th8nk how to stop us.

I wouldn't have any worries about that. He has a shoestring budget here and we won the league at a canter ahead of Dundee Utd who have much more at their disposal. He's made some good loan signings and also managed to convince a few players that could be at a higher level to go to Saints and be part of a successful team. When he took over and we were adrift at the bottom he dropped the underperforming midfield and played 4 players under 21. One is still with us,one went to Derby about 6 weeks later, one to Barnsley in the summer and now Morgan to Celtic. He'll bring in what he needs but he'll also make what you already have better

He will change things about during a game if it's not working, he's not blindly stubborn if things aren't going right but his philosophy won't change. As soon as our season was over he was over at Valencia to learn from them and watch them train. He's relentless in his ambition to improve.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 09:34 - May 11 with 4657 viewschicoazul

What kind of underwear does your wife/girlfriend wear?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 09:43 - May 11 with 4626 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

At Town we have a large number of midfielders who like to play with the ball on the floor. Andre Dozzell is a deep-lying playmaker, Emyr Huws is a box-to-box runner, Teddy Bishop is a creative midfielder, plus the more industrious, physical midfielders like Skuse, Downes, Nydam and Adeyemi.

Would he be likely to rotate them all throughout the season or stick to 2/3 of them religiously? Adding to that, what style of CM does he like to use?
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 09:45 - May 11 with 4613 viewsMaySixth

What are his weak points?

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Login to get fewer ads

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 10:15 - May 11 with 4550 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Hi Buddie, welcome to our forum.

Thank you for the excellent insight into your manager, it has been a pleasure to read such detailed analysis about him and his football philosophy.

I took some time to visit the black and white army forum, and again, it was a pleasure to read - there are some very knowledgeable and level-headed fans on there!

All the very best for next season.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 10:22 - May 11 with 4524 viewsMattinLondon

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 09:02 - May 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Haha, oh dear 🙈

Buddie made a very good point and it’s one which Mick made as well. Player valuations in English football has gone up remarkably within the last few seasons - but their quality has stayed the same.

Maybe a new manager with knowledge of Scottish football will be able to pick up bargain buys.

Buddie- does your manager only recruit from Scottish football or has he and his team brought in players from the continent as well?
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 10:23 - May 11 with 4522 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 09:26 - May 11 by Buddie

I wouldn't have any worries about that. He has a shoestring budget here and we won the league at a canter ahead of Dundee Utd who have much more at their disposal. He's made some good loan signings and also managed to convince a few players that could be at a higher level to go to Saints and be part of a successful team. When he took over and we were adrift at the bottom he dropped the underperforming midfield and played 4 players under 21. One is still with us,one went to Derby about 6 weeks later, one to Barnsley in the summer and now Morgan to Celtic. He'll bring in what he needs but he'll also make what you already have better

He will change things about during a game if it's not working, he's not blindly stubborn if things aren't going right but his philosophy won't change. As soon as our season was over he was over at Valencia to learn from them and watch them train. He's relentless in his ambition to improve.

I'm loving the sound of this guy, thanks for the info and up The Buddies, I shall be keeping an eye on your progress whatever happens.

In fact I think I have adopted St Mirren as my Caledonian team, one thing though, Where is St Mirren, is it near Raith?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 10:36 - May 11 with 4473 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 10:22 - May 11 by MattinLondon

Buddie made a very good point and it’s one which Mick made as well. Player valuations in English football has gone up remarkably within the last few seasons - but their quality has stayed the same.

Maybe a new manager with knowledge of Scottish football will be able to pick up bargain buys.

Buddie- does your manager only recruit from Scottish football or has he and his team brought in players from the continent as well?

Cor just think, he might be able to identify the next Ryan Stevenson...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 10:53 - May 11 with 4433 viewsSourdoughBlue

Why are St Mirren called the Buddies and does the Club have any right or left footer/Hibs/Herts designation or are you free of all that?

Good to see the flags and hear the singing and drums etc on the "we're on our way" video. Whatever happens all the best for the next season.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:06 - May 11 with 4390 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 10:36 - May 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

This is a nice, pleasant and interesting thread. Do you have to keep acting a prat all over it?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:08 - May 11 with 4383 viewsJ2BLUE

What has got into you? Stop being a div.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:12 - May 11 with 4371 viewsscotdoc

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 10:53 - May 11 by SourdoughBlue

Why are St Mirren called the Buddies and does the Club have any right or left footer/Hibs/Herts designation or are you free of all that?

Good to see the flags and hear the singing and drums etc on the "we're on our way" video. Whatever happens all the best for the next season.

A buddie is someone born in Paisley(where Glasgow airport actually is!)
St Mirren thankfully has no"affiliations"and therefore no bigotry .
They are my local team .
I was however seduced by ITFC at an early age despite being a buddie.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:12 - May 11 with 4369 viewsDanFord

Ask you anything? Aliens ........ real or fantasy?

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:14 - May 11 with 4360 viewsDarth_Koont

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 10:53 - May 11 by SourdoughBlue

Point of order. Hibs isn't a sectarian club and neither is Hearts in the main.

Speaking as a protestant Hibs supporter amongst thousands of others. In fact, Catholics are very much in the minority.

Pronouns: He/Him

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:16 - May 11 with 4348 viewsJ2BLUE

Do you have any decent players he could bring with him?

Do you think we would be an attractive option for him? There was a picture of him celebrating promotion with 'one of his young daughters' on the Star website. Maybe he won't want to move them at this stage?

Thanks for posting and good luck for next season. Really refreshing to see another set of fans being respectful towards us. That is quite rare these days when teams are throwing fortunes at promotion and we're considered irrelevant in the modern football hype generation where Sky have made the season feel like the build up to the transfer windows and not the other way round.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:17 - May 11 with 4331 viewsscotdoc

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:14 - May 11 by Darth_Koont

Point of order. Hibs isn't a sectarian club and neither is Hearts in the main.

Speaking as a protestant Hibs supporter amongst thousands of others. In fact, Catholics are very much in the minority.

Apologies.
That is a common perception in Scotland however wide of the mark it may be.
I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:20 - May 11 with 4317 viewsDarth_Koont

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:17 - May 11 by scotdoc

Apologies.
That is a common perception in Scotland however wide of the mark it may be.

Perceptions from the outside are rarely correct.

Pronouns: He/Him

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:21 - May 11 with 4305 viewsSpruceMoose

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 06:53 - May 11 by Buddie

Tough questions. Never tried Ghostship I'm afraid. Spent many a summer in Ipswich as a kid but only been down there as an adult once in the past 12 years and that was for a funeral. I'll try it next time I'm down though.

Is it boring to say a good old fashioned cheddar? Nice and strong flavor but not too crumbly.

Beef monster munch or roast chicken sensations alluring to mind but there are so many options.

Quite tame opinions there eh? Making us Scots seem a bit unadventurous.

We value honesty above adventurousness, how else do you think we had MM as boss so long!?

Good answers there if you ask me.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:22 - May 11 with 4294 viewsCoco

Or maybe Snodgrass or even John Wark or Kenny Dalglish!!

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:22 - May 11 with 4291 viewshype313

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:21 - May 11 by SpruceMoose

We value honesty above adventurousness, how else do you think we had MM as boss so long!?

Good answers there if you ask me.

When it comes to Monster Munch, Pickled Onion is the only option.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:23 - May 11 with 4288 viewsscotdoc

I'm a St Mirren fan, ask me anything! on 11:20 - May 11 by Darth_Koont

Perceptions from the outside are rarely correct.

Couldn't agree more.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024