Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York help 08:38 - May 12 with 3987 viewsBluefish

Right people I'm off to NY next week with the missus for her 40th. We are there for 5 days and I am woefully unprepared as always. Can you help me to make an itinerary please that includes all of the tourist sites and some decent bars and restaurants

Thanks in a advance
[Post edited 12 May 2018 8:38]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

New York help on 09:06 - May 12 with 3935 viewsReuser_is_God

Keste pizza in Greenwich Village

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

New York help on 09:57 - May 12 with 3906 viewsitfcjoe

It’s obvious, but the 9/11 museum is an absolute must do.

Also the High Line wall really good, grab a sandwich first and stop for lunch when wandering through.

The New York Pass is good value if you are planning on having a mega busy few days doing everything possible

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New York help on 09:58 - May 12 with 3903 viewsfloridaboy

We go for three nights at the beginning of June before moving on to Washington DC.

We have booked to see the Lion King on Broadway. Will also walk the Brooklyn Bridge, from there we intend to walk to see the Raging Bull near Wall Street. Walk to Battery Park to get a pic of the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, have tickets for the One World Tower,

Whatever you do hope you have a great time and happy birthday to your good lady!!
New York help on 10:06 - May 12 with 3886 viewsBluefish

New York help on 09:57 - May 12 by itfcjoe

It’s obvious, but the 9/11 museum is an absolute must do.

Also the High Line wall really good, grab a sandwich first and stop for lunch when wandering through.

The New York Pass is good value if you are planning on having a mega busy few days doing everything possible

Never heard of the high line, will have to Google that

Someone else mentioned an NY pass but I couldn't work out if it was good value or not

I was planning on starting at 9/11 and ground zero on the Saturday morning. Any idea if weekends make a difference in NY?

It will definitely be a very busy trip doing as much as possible

New York help on 10:07 - May 12 with 3884 viewsBluefish

New York help on 09:58 - May 12 by floridaboy

We go for three nights at the beginning of June before moving on to Washington DC.

We have booked to see the Lion King on Broadway. Will also walk the Brooklyn Bridge, from there we intend to walk to see the Raging Bull near Wall Street. Walk to Battery Park to get a pic of the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, have tickets for the One World Tower,

Whatever you do hope you have a great time and happy birthday to your good lady!!

Thank you

I plan on watching a show but was just going to wait to get tickets on the day

New York help on 10:27 - May 12 with 3866 viewsitfcjoe

New York help on 10:06 - May 12 by Bluefish

Someone else mentioned an NY pass but I couldn't work out if it was good value or not

I was planning on starting at 9/11 and ground zero on the Saturday morning. Any idea if weekends make a difference in NY?

You get all the bus tours included, which are a good way to get your bearings and see everything quickly before focusing on key areas.

Not sure with weekends, but best to book tickets for Ground Zero as is always busy. Think may need to do same with Statue of Liberty, and to go up Rockefeller or Empire State

We did an evening cruise on Spirit where you get meals, drinks, disco etc on night of wife’s 30th which was good if you like that sort of thing.

Nice to sieve time in Central Park too. We went to a Mets game in Queens, and a Nets game in Brooklyn. Both good.

We’ve been twice for a week, as so hard to fit everything in! Just walking around taking it all in is great, like you can in London - everything is iconic

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New York help on 12:32 - May 12 with 3793 viewsAce_High1

911 memorial and museum is a must - weekends should still be ok this time of the year.

Central Park is wonderful, can easily lose hours wandering around it and enjoying the views.

Obviously you will want to grab a snack at Trump Towers..... and visit some of the shops.

Go up Empire State Building and spend a few hours around the Rockefeller plaza area for lunch/shops.

Go down to Brooklyn and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, you can walk through Wall Street (and see the Bull) whilst heading that way from the One Wold Trade Centre.

Statue of Liberty as others have said is also a must. Maybe try and tie in an MLS game of Baseball game if any are on when you are there?

Finally head up to the Bronx for a day, take in the Botanical gardens and visit the Zoo.
New York help on 12:35 - May 12 with 3788 viewsclive_baker

Agree with much of what’s been said, all the touristy stuff.

As for a restaurant I would recommend Beauty & Essex, it’s great. You’ll probably need to book.

Have a fab time, it’s a cool city.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

New York help on 12:40 - May 12 with 3771 viewsStokieBlue

New York help on 10:06 - May 12 by Bluefish

The high line is excellent. Great rooftop bar halfway along in the hotel as well.

Keens is great for an old fashioned steak. Basta Pasta is great but you'll not have any problem getting good food on NYC.

Of the galleries I prefer MoMA but the Met is good as well. Has a nice selection of Van Gogh's.

The Press Lounge is nice for a drink as it looks back over Manhattan and isn't boxed in my other tall buildings.

Enjoy.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New York help on 12:40 - May 12 with 3771 viewsLord_Lucan

Everyone likes different things but the following is what I enjoyed most.

Having a beer in Central Station upstairs and watching the world go by. I could spend hours there.

Greenwich Village for a night out listening to all the bands play.

Walking by Dakota buildings and then having a stroll around Central Park.

Finally, spend a whole day just walking and see where you end up.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

New York help on 13:35 - May 12 with 3710 viewsconnorscontract

New York help on 10:27 - May 12 by itfcjoe

You get all the bus tours included, which are a good way to get your bearings and see everything quickly before focusing on key areas.

Not sure with weekends, but best to book tickets for Ground Zero as is always busy. Think may need to do same with Statue of Liberty, and to go up Rockefeller or Empire State

We did an evening cruise on Spirit where you get meals, drinks, disco etc on night of wife’s 30th which was good if you like that sort of thing.

Nice to sieve time in Central Park too. We went to a Mets game in Queens, and a Nets game in Brooklyn. Both good.

We’ve been twice for a week, as so hard to fit everything in! Just walking around taking it all in is great, like you can in London - everything is iconic

Just to clarify that:

You don't have to book tickets for the outside memorial on the Ground Zero site, it's public space. It's a stunning piece of memorial architecture. There will be thousands of people and some chatting and taking selfies in an overly touristy way, but ignore them. Spend a few minutes reading some of the names quietly to yourself.

On other notes:

Staten Island Ferry is genuinely free and goes from near Battery Park. You get views of the Statue of Liberty and the iconic shot looking back over the water to Manhattan.

You can walk over the Manhattan Bridge as well as Brooklyn Bridge. So why not go over one one way and back the other. Go to Brooklyn in daylight over the Manhattan Bridge, go down to the YO sign and take photos of Manhattan and the bridges. Have pizza nearby: there are several "legendary" places and TripAdvisor is your best guide, alongside NYC food blogs via Google.

Then take nighttime photos of the Manhattan skyline at the water's edge. Walk back over Brooklyn Bridge in and take lots more atmospheric photos as you go.

Google the Skyline. Do it.

Central Park has a great feel to it in the sun.

Most of these things are free. Save your dollars for nicer meals.

There's a Korean restaurant near the top of the Hilton just off Times Square with amazing views of Empire State Building- Michelin recommended food and views, for not much more (if you go at Lunchtime and order from the set lunch menu) than the price of Top of the Rock which just gives you the views. This is my exclusive Top Tip.

Similarly there are websites listing rooftop hotel bars which give stunning and atmospheric views.

Enjoy!
New York help on 14:33 - May 12 with 3668 viewsFenoit

I can help if you like craft beer?
New York help on 14:35 - May 12 with 3662 viewsBluefish

New York help on 14:33 - May 12 by Fenoit

I can help if you like craft beer?

I like craft beer and real ale and gin and cocktails

New York help on 14:36 - May 12 with 3659 viewsSomethingBlue

New York help on 12:35 - May 12 by clive_baker

Agree with much of what’s been said, all the touristy stuff.

As for a restaurant I would recommend Beauty & Essex, it’s great. You’ll probably need to book.

Have a fab time, it’s a cool city.

Can echo that — we went to Beauty & Essex on my other half's 30th, it was fantastic.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

New York help on 14:54 - May 12 with 3639 viewsLord_Lucan

New York help on 14:36 - May 12 by SomethingBlue

Can echo that — we went to Beauty & Essex on my other half's 30th, it was fantastic.

That looks a great place.

When I was in NYC I researched and chose a Brazilian steak house for my blow out meal but was a bit underwhelmed.

That Beauty and Essex place looks very nice and for my cyber meal I have chose

ROASTED BONE MARROW 18
rioja braised shallot marmalade

SURF N' TURF 35
crispy pork belly & seared scallops, sweet potato purée, anise sherry glaze & frisée apple salad

For desert I will have another starter

CRAB RANGOON 18
warm jumbo lump crab, sweet thai chili pearls, crispy crab cracker

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

New York help on 14:55 - May 12 with 3636 viewsBluespeed225

Walk as much as possible, but as a first timer youve got to get certain stuff out of the way! get a weeks subway pass, best value! Staten Island ferry is free. Go to Statue, take pics, 15 minutes, and get next boat back! Empire State, hmmm, Rock, deffo. Drink/eat in The Village.
if you get hat way, Flannerys, 14th & 7th( border of Village and Chelsea) NY Spurs bar, but mention your Ipswich to John the barman,( Fri-Mon nights, Sun/Mon are best, just locals) and youll be well in, hes an old mate. See Times Square once, you need never go again! If you do go there and need a beer, its slim pickings, but Jimmys Corner bar is just off there, he was a corner man at major fights in 60's and 70's, great boxing memorabilia in there!
New York help on 15:02 - May 12 with 3627 viewsbluefunk

PM sent with loads of info received for our first NYC visit

We are there on Thursday for a week - seems a popular place for Town fans post season!
New York help on 15:15 - May 12 with 3614 viewsLord_Lucan

New York help on 15:02 - May 12 by bluefunk

PM sent with loads of info received for our first NYC visit

We are there on Thursday for a week - seems a popular place for Town fans post season!

I don't want to be a wet blanket but I didn't really like the place.

New York help on 15:48 - May 12 with 3587 viewschicoazul

Katz's.

https://www.katzsdelicatessen.com/

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

New York help on 20:22 - May 12 with 3471 viewsIpswich1984

We’ve used this pass a couple of times when we have been there, covers most of the main things we wanted to do on a 1st trip. Open top bus is useful for getting bearings.

https://www.smartdestinations.com/new-york-attractions-and-tours/_d_Nyc-p1.html?

The whole area around the 9/11 memorial is so well done, go into the new station too, the architecture is amazing.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Grand Central Station is another place to pop into, such a fascinating piece of building.

Poll: Should there be a lap of honour after the Sheffield United game?

New York help on 09:09 - May 13 with 3339 viewsYaffle

Echo much of what has been said, the 9/11 Museum was incredible and very well done. There's a memorial room in there with slideshows playing of the victims and spoken tributes from their families. It's dark and you sit around the edge and you could hear people quietly crying. It was so moving, my daughter was transfixed.

On a more upbeat note, the pizza just across the Brooklyn bridge at either Grimaldi's or Juliannas (same family) is amazing. Long wait but worth it.

I think the NBA season might be over but I found picking up tickets for the Brooklyn Nets at the Barclay Centre was much more affordable than MSG.

Finally, there are lots of tours on Viator which are good. We did a Hip Hop Tour ( https://www.hushtours.com/) and a Harlem Church service thing which was interesting but seemed a good way to make money but we didn't actually spend much time in the church! Also, agree the Staten Island ferry is a great way to see the Statue of Liberty and its free.

Planning and having an itinerary is key to making the most of your time.
New York help on 09:23 - May 13 with 3323 viewsLord_Lucan

One more thing, if you have 5 days then hire a Car for a day and have a drive about.

New York help on 09:54 - May 13 with 3292 viewsBluefish

New York help on 09:23 - May 13 by Lord_Lucan

One more thing, if you have 5 days then hire a Car for a day and have a drive about.

I can get very cheap car hire but hadn't considered that. Anywhere in particular?

New York help on 09:55 - May 13 with 3291 viewsBluefish

Thank you everyone I now have much more than no had before. A plan is loosely taking shape

New York help on 10:02 - May 13 with 3284 viewsLord_Lucan

New York help on 09:54 - May 13 by Bluefish

I can get very cheap car hire but hadn't considered that. Anywhere in particular?

Not really, I never had time when I went as I was only there for three days and thought I had to do “The sights” as I had no intention of going back. Just get in it and see where you end up - maybe head up state.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024