Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL 09:48 - Mar 8 with 6374 viewsthebooks

Exactly what you'd expect if you just cover running costs and pay the 18th highest wage budget in the league. Drift and the risk of relegation.

PL's right in the breadth of his vision, but I just don't see the money behind it. Or the ownership's vision or will, for that matter, and PL can't do it on his own. Worried the most likely outcome is mid-table in league one.
"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 09:53 - Mar 8 with 4102 viewsITFC_Forever

This is where the modern game has moved on far too quickly for ME.

When you look at the money the richest clubs in the Champ have, it's impossible for ME to compete.
Didn't Wolves rack up a £50m debt to get promoted? And then there's the parachute clubs.

That said, ME will be the first to admit with hindsight that mistakes and poor decisions have been made in the last 10 years and whether he likes it or not, we're going down on his watch.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

(No subject) on 09:56 - Mar 8 with 4091 viewsBlueBadger

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 09:53 - Mar 8 by ITFC_Forever

This is where the modern game has moved on far too quickly for ME.

When you look at the money the richest clubs in the Champ have, it's impossible for ME to compete.
Didn't Wolves rack up a £50m debt to get promoted? And then there's the parachute clubs.

That said, ME will be the first to admit with hindsight that mistakes and poor decisions have been made in the last 10 years and whether he likes it or not, we're going down on his watch.

His one big mistake was trusting Keane, Jewell(to a lesser extent) and Magilton(to a far lesser extent) with big transfer budgets in a time when budgets were being squeezed across the division. Not only did Keane squander an enormous financial advantage, he burned Evans' fingers so severely he's never invested as heavily in players(or the wider club - remember the youth academy fiasco) since.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2019 9:59]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 09:59 - Mar 8 with 4073 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Where do you expect our budget will rank next year in year one?
(No subject) on 10:06 - Mar 8 with 4063 viewsfooters

(No subject) on 09:56 - Mar 8 by BlueBadger

His one big mistake was trusting Keane, Jewell(to a lesser extent) and Magilton(to a far lesser extent) with big transfer budgets in a time when budgets were being squeezed across the division. Not only did Keane squander an enormous financial advantage, he burned Evans' fingers so severely he's never invested as heavily in players(or the wider club - remember the youth academy fiasco) since.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2019 9:59]

As well as trusting Hurst. He stripped the squad of what very little value there was left in it. We sold Waggers et al for far more than we paid for them, which is testament to MM's eagle eye when it came to bargain finds.

As you say, it's a shame that when we were relatively big money in this league all that was squandered. We really have been a mess for such a long time.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 10:06 - Mar 8 with 4062 viewsSouperJim

When he bought the club, his investment for the first two years was in-line with the top 6. Sheepy had convinced him this would be enough to bounce us back into the Prem. Once his fingers had been burnt, he continued to put in enough to keep us competitive.

The problem is, the goalposts have moved and that amount is no longer enough. Most owners looking for a fast return would have cut off the water supply at that point and then sold the club for whatever they could get, rapidly turning us into a basket case club lurching from one russian-roulette owner to the next. At least Evans has stuck around and been fairly responsible with the club, yes we've slowly declined which is painful to watch, but it could have been so much worse.

This is why Evans causes so many heated debates, are you glass half full or half empty? Has he saved us from a worse fate, or denied us a better one?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 10:11 - Mar 8 with 4053 viewsTerry_Nutkins

You put your hand in your pocket and spend more than 100 million on the club.

Our owner not being rich enough for your sense of entitlement diesnt actually make him a bad owner.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 10:17 - Mar 8 with 4040 viewsBlueBadger

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 10:11 - Mar 8 by Terry_Nutkins

Our owner not being rich enough for your sense of entitlement diesnt actually make him a bad owner.

No, but his history of consistently bad decisions and increasingly half-arsed approach to it DOES.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

(No subject) on 10:35 - Mar 8 with 4001 viewsfactual_blue

(No subject) on 10:06 - Mar 8 by footers

As well as trusting Hurst. He stripped the squad of what very little value there was left in it. We sold Waggers et al for far more than we paid for them, which is testament to MM's eagle eye when it came to bargain finds.

As you say, it's a shame that when we were relatively big money in this league all that was squandered. We really have been a mess for such a long time.

My sneaking suspicion is that Waggers and Garner had heard stories about hurst and wanted to go.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) on 10:39 - Mar 8 with 3988 viewsITFC_Forever

(No subject) on 10:35 - Mar 8 by factual_blue

My sneaking suspicion is that Waggers and Garner had heard stories about hurst and wanted to go.

Mine too... although Hurst had been in the door for a month or two when they left, so I suspect they saw what he was like and wanted nothing to do with it.

Hurst and Deputy Doig have as much blood on their hands for this relegation than anyone - if not more.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 10:44 - Mar 8 with 3980 viewsNo9

Chicken / Egg.
It needed a football man to awaken Mr E to the reality that, if he continues with the bad advice he been getting since he bought up ITFC, his 'investment' will be worthless.
Modern football has become stupidly expensive a thriving academy is a must, hiring in football prostitutes only papers over the cracks.
We have previously seen even signing up a whole load of journeymen (how many did MM sign-79?) it is not the way to success merely bailing out the boat with a bucket too small for the job.
Worry less about next seasons budget & more on Team Management's ability to play entertaining football while winning at home & drawing away.
(No subject) on 10:47 - Mar 8 with 3973 viewsfooters

Being asked to strip and pose for polaroids would probably put me off a new boss instantly. Unless it was a fruity woman, naturally.

(No subject) on 10:48 - Mar 8 with 3971 viewsartsbossbeard

Waggers met with Hurst before wanting to go. Def info.

Waggers also wasn't a fan of Mick's treatment by the numbskulls @ Brentford away. Def info.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

(No subject) on 10:48 - Mar 8 with 3964 viewschicoazul

(No subject) on 10:39 - Mar 8 by ITFC_Forever

Mine too... although Hurst had been in the door for a month or two when they left, so I suspect they saw what he was like and wanted nothing to do with it.

Hurst and Deputy Doig have as much blood on their hands for this relegation than anyone - if not more.

Remember when Webster did 2 days training with them and then left?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

(No subject) on 11:03 - Mar 8 with 3917 viewsBlueBadger

(No subject) on 10:48 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

Remember when Webster did 2 days training with them and then left?

The best is that his transfer fee 'in' is nearly as much as what we paid for Nsiala.

(No subject) on 11:05 - Mar 8 with 3917 viewschicoazul

(No subject) on 11:03 - Mar 8 by BlueBadger

The best is that his transfer fee 'in' is nearly as much as what we paid for Nsiala.

Definite info; making his first real decision selling Webster absolutely amazed the other senior players and put Mini Roy on the back foot with them pretty much from the word go.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:07 - Mar 8 with 3907 viewsartsbossbeard

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 10:11 - Mar 8 by Terry_Nutkins

My issue with ME isn't around how much or little cash he's splashed, it's the fact that he gave PH carte blanche access to the cheque book without a sanity check on who was getting brought in.

PH would have worked (better) with a DoF, PL doesn't need one, IMHO.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:13 - Mar 8 with 3878 viewsBlueBadger

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:07 - Mar 8 by artsbossbeard

My issue with ME isn't around how much or little cash he's splashed, it's the fact that he gave PH carte blanche access to the cheque book without a sanity check on who was getting brought in.

PH would have worked (better) with a DoF, PL doesn't need one, IMHO.

There's previous for that though, he gave Jewell and Keane total freedom in the rubbish they brought in and let go.

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:18 - Mar 8 with 3863 viewsartsbossbeard

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:13 - Mar 8 by BlueBadger

There's previous for that though, he gave Jewell and Keane total freedom in the rubbish they brought in and let go.

Yes indeed, however, it's more prevalent when giving a young tracksuited manager his biggest gig to date and looking to work the same way as previous. Again IMHO.

A wise old head overseeing things would've been a decent option here.

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:20 - Mar 8 with 3849 viewsBlueBadger

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:18 - Mar 8 by artsbossbeard

Yes indeed, however, it's more prevalent when giving a young tracksuited manager his biggest gig to date and looking to work the same way as previous. Again IMHO.

Totally. I've advocating this for a while now. If we're seriously going to go down the road of 'push the young players and make careful signings' then someone needs to be there to ensure best practice in transfer dealings.

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:21 - Mar 8 with 3845 viewsthebooks

I have zero sense of entitlement. Similarly, I don't feel the need to doff my cap at any rich bloke who comes along and oversees our decline.

He's not spent (relatively) much or well. These are just facts, not anyone being "entitled".
"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:21 - Mar 8 with 3837 viewsfooters

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:20 - Mar 8 by BlueBadger

Totally. I've advocating this for a while now. If we're seriously going to go down the road of 'push the young players and make careful signings' then someone needs to be there to ensure best practice in transfer dealings.

Would certainly help out considering our owner's football knowledge extends to the 'arry 'otline. And now probably texting MM too.

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:22 - Mar 8 with 3829 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:18 - Mar 8 by artsbossbeard

There is of course the fact that we do have a DoF, with a reasonable track record in terms of transfers.

...although its not clear whether PH consulted him.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:23 - Mar 8 with 3823 viewsfooters

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:22 - Mar 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

There is of course the fact that we do have a DoF, with a reasonable track record in terms of transfers.

...although its not clear whether PH consulted him.

DoF in name only as we already had a Chief Scout. Big difference there.

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:28 - Mar 8 with 3789 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:23 - Mar 8 by footers

DoF in name only as we already had a Chief Scout. Big difference there.

Who would you want as DoF?

Its a tricky one, as its as easy to appoint the wrong DoF as it is to appoint the wrong manager.

I think we do need our own version of Paul Mitchell, formerly of S'oton and Spurs.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:32 - Mar 8 with 3769 viewsfooters

"What's he [ME] got for his investment?" asks PL on 11:28 - Mar 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

Who would you want as DoF?

Its a tricky one, as its as easy to appoint the wrong DoF as it is to appoint the wrong manager.

I think we do need our own version of Paul Mitchell, formerly of S'oton and Spurs.

Indeed. Every time this gets raised on here it's seen as some sort of panacea. But if you give the most important job at the club to a massive plum then you're jiggered from the get-go. One to mull over, but an awful lot of responsibility to place on one head.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024