Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we have any decent scouts ? 13:43 - Feb 3 with 3543 viewsStewards_Enquiry

People question lack of funds, money spent by ME, however our scouting seems very inept. Who are our Scouts ?

McCarthy knew how to spot a player although there was some drab but generally he found a few decent players on frees and even Kieffer Moore made us some money.

When you look at what we paid for in fees and wages
Jackson - No first touch and hardly prolific worth £1.6m I dont think so
Donacien - Very Average at best
Nolan - Not convinced
Toto - Not good enough
Jordon Roberts - Not good enough
Aaron Drinon - Doesnt appear good enough
Ellis Harrison - Showed Glimses but departed
James Collins - Past it and injured most of the time
Jorden Spence - Awful
Colin Quaner - What footed was he ! Awful
Simon Dawkins - Awful
Tom Adeyemi - Injury prone and disappeared
Steven Gleeson - Who ? Yes signed and disappeared
Luke Varney - Awful
Leon Best - Trouble and Awful
Paul Digby - Fairly average to poor

Now who ran their eyes over these players think of the money wasted not just transfers fees but wages also !

I may have missed some but this shows the Dross we have invested in over the last two three seasons

[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 13:56]

Poll: ARE YOU GOING TO CANCEL YOU DIRECT DEBIT TOMORROW ?

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 13:45 - Feb 3 with 3097 viewsSwailsey

KVY
Norwood
Holy
Bart
Fraser
Lawrence
Williams
McGokdrick

But yes, there are a lot of duds

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 13:48 - Feb 3 with 3083 viewsRadlett_blue

That's the biggest difference since Mick left. He was a good judge of a player & found some great bargains, notably Waghorn. Hurst was utterly clueless & none of his buys look more than average lower league players. Lambert has had less scope & I will forgive him his useless loans last season as I'm sure they were cheap. Getting the sadly injured KVY looks a big plus, Norwood is only average at this level & no better than what we had.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 16:16]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 13:53 - Feb 3 with 3054 viewsStewards_Enquiry

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 13:45 - Feb 3 by Swailsey

KVY
Norwood
Holy
Bart
Fraser
Lawrence
Williams
McGokdrick

But yes, there are a lot of duds

KVY - Yes but could of been a free
Norwood - Good but not championship material, misses to many one on ones
Holy - Glimpses agreed
William injured and missed a lot we paid a £1 loan fee for him !

Garner - was good and made a profit
Waghorn - the best we have seen here for a long while

Poll: ARE YOU GOING TO CANCEL YOU DIRECT DEBIT TOMORROW ?

Do we have any decent scouts ? on 13:55 - Feb 3 with 3041 viewsMrTown

No one with any consistent decent football knowledge. Definitely had more duds than non-duds.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Do we have any decent scouts ? on 13:59 - Feb 3 with 3024 viewsfactual_blue

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Do we have any decent scouts ? on 14:03 - Feb 3 with 3011 viewsfactual_blue

Fans of most clubs would be able to compile a similar list. Most players aren't going to be good enough.

See also the Peter Principle.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Do we have any decent scouts ? on 14:05 - Feb 3 with 2995 viewsPagan_Blue

Do we have any decent scouts ? on 13:59 - Feb 3 by factual_blue

Do we have any scouts covering europe?
Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 14:06 - Feb 3 with 2987 viewsCrock

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 13:53 - Feb 3 by Stewards_Enquiry

KVY - Yes but could of been a free
Norwood - Good but not championship material, misses to many one on ones
Holy - Glimpses agreed
William injured and missed a lot we paid a £1 loan fee for him !

Garner - was good and made a profit
Waghorn - the best we have seen here for a long while

Could have not could of

Poll: Favourite number?

Login to get fewer ads

Do we have any decent scouts ? on 14:08 - Feb 3 with 2986 viewsmarchy

Where we do seem to fall down significantly compared to other clubs is the apparent lack of eyes overseas, which would be particularly valuable when money's (supposedly) tight - we coughed up £1.6m for Jackson in the same window as Norwich found Pukki in the bin. The problem seems to stretch a long way back too, as Mick never seemed to look far beyond Ireland and when he did, Knudsen aside, it was by and large disastrous. Why are other clubs so much better at it?
Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 14:56 - Feb 3 with 2911 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 13:48 - Feb 3 by Radlett_blue

That's the biggest difference since Mick left. He was a good judge of a player & found some great bargains, notably Waghorn. Hurst was utterly clueless & none of his buys look more than average lower league players. Lambert has had less scope & I will forgive him his useless loans last season as I'm sure they were cheap. Getting the sadly injured KVY looks a big plus, Norwood is only average at this level & no better than what we had.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 16:16]

Waghorn is probably a good example of a MM signing.

He wasnt an unknown player that no one had heard of, he was a player that was well known in the game, but had lost his way a little. Mick was able to bring out the best in him, when others had passed up the chance.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 16:18 - Feb 3 with 2851 viewsRadlett_blue

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 14:06 - Feb 3 by Crock

Could have not could of

And it was Hurst who turned down KVY on a free. Presumably he thought paying £500k for Donacien was a better idea.

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 16:21 - Feb 3 with 2837 viewsmarchy

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 16:18 - Feb 3 by Radlett_blue

And it was Hurst who turned down KVY on a free. Presumably he thought paying £500k for Donacien was a better idea.

I think it was actually £750k mate.

Do we have any decent scouts ? on 16:35 - Feb 3 with 2814 viewschicoazul

Luke Varney was alright and scored a couple of good goals!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

He was the last player.... on 16:39 - Feb 3 with 2804 viewsBloots

Do we have any decent scouts ? on 16:35 - Feb 3 by chicoazul

Luke Varney was alright and scored a couple of good goals!

....that we've had who could win a header.

God I'm depressed.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 16:55 - Feb 3 with 2771 viewsPilgrimblue

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 14:56 - Feb 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

Waghorn is probably a good example of a MM signing.

He wasnt an unknown player that no one had heard of, he was a player that was well known in the game, but had lost his way a little. Mick was able to bring out the best in him, when others had passed up the chance.

MM had a good network which he used very well.
Plus he's well regarded so easier to get players in.

I'm very disappointed with PL has there's little evidence of any connections here or abroad.

However, Brentford have an impressive record. They don't have a youth policy and rely on network to find prospects here and abroad to make up their U23. And are still able to be at the top after selling their stars!
Do we have any decent scouts ? on 17:19 - Feb 3 with 2740 viewsDarth_Koont

Think it's a bit academic until we can see what the players do in a functioning team. We've not had that for a couple of years with different managers and different players coming in throughout - some already proving they could be good enough in the long term.

Having said that, I certainly don't think Hurst's summer transfer window did us any good. We didn't get any upgrades on any of the players we sold and despite using that money to bring in more players the overall effect was a downgrade to the overall squad strength and we created more holes in the team rather than filling them .

Also, our own assets like Nydam and Woolfenden were blocked in their development. Nydam in particular was looking very good at the tail end of the previous season and then nothing ... Folami and Dozzell were also getting games long before and were sidelined, and I even seem to remember Downes struggling at first to get gametime.

Pronouns: He/Him

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 17:20 - Feb 3 with 2737 viewsSharkey

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 16:18 - Feb 3 by Radlett_blue

It's a question that's been discussed a lot (though without an authoritative answer as far as I know), but it's not at all sure that KVY could ever have been got for free. Most people think some sort of standard-package compensation would have been automatically due to Colchester, but it's also possible he would have re-signed for them before any deal went through. This is what Szmodics did - he would have been out of contract but Bristol City did not get himthrough arbitration because he re-signed for Colchester. (Szmodics is perhaps a special case, as he's clearly a Colchester fan as well as (ex-)player). I don't know for sure about Frankie Kent, but he too did not leave for free or a knock-down price. (I'm not sure he was out of contract anyway, though, to be honest, though I think he was.) We only know that a year earlier KVY trained with Town, but I think it's exaggerating Hurst's lack of judgement to say he was there gift-wrapped and free. McCarthy and Connor would have known all about him too but obviously didn't particularly fancy him. Colchester would not have stood in his way if they'd got a reasonable offer and he was on his way to the Championship, because that's how they sell the club to young players.
Do we have any decent scouts ? on 17:21 - Feb 3 with 2735 viewsstrikalite

Do we have any decent scouts ? on 14:08 - Feb 3 by marchy

Where we do seem to fall down significantly compared to other clubs is the apparent lack of eyes overseas, which would be particularly valuable when money's (supposedly) tight - we coughed up £1.6m for Jackson in the same window as Norwich found Pukki in the bin. The problem seems to stretch a long way back too, as Mick never seemed to look far beyond Ireland and when he did, Knudsen aside, it was by and large disastrous. Why are other clubs so much better at it?

All those countries, all those leagues, not having overseas scouts at all is a huge failing of this Club...
Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 17:35 - Feb 3 with 2698 viewsrfretwell

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 16:55 - Feb 3 by Pilgrimblue

MM had a good network which he used very well.
Plus he's well regarded so easier to get players in.

I'm very disappointed with PL has there's little evidence of any connections here or abroad.

However, Brentford have an impressive record. They don't have a youth policy and rely on network to find prospects here and abroad to make up their U23. And are still able to be at the top after selling their stars!

Too true Pilgrimblue, Brentford are doing brilliantly by their stat crunching method of finding quality players. Unbelievable that they sold Maupay for £18 million was it ? who tore us apart last season and are now even higher in the Championship! Why aren't we looking at players in the French league etc? When is PL actually going to bring in a quality German player via his great contacts over there?
Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 17:51 - Feb 3 with 2669 viewsSharkey

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 17:35 - Feb 3 by rfretwell

Too true Pilgrimblue, Brentford are doing brilliantly by their stat crunching method of finding quality players. Unbelievable that they sold Maupay for £18 million was it ? who tore us apart last season and are now even higher in the Championship! Why aren't we looking at players in the French league etc? When is PL actually going to bring in a quality German player via his great contacts over there?

Serious question -are French and German players going to be an option now, post-Brexit? Cricket has already said that Kolpac players won't be a thing after 2021.
Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 18:01 - Feb 3 with 2656 viewsRadlett_blue

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 17:51 - Feb 3 by Sharkey

Serious question -are French and German players going to be an option now, post-Brexit? Cricket has already said that Kolpac players won't be a thing after 2021.

It's actually an interesting point. Theoretically, all foreigners should have to get work permits, depending on what deal is eventually reached with the EU. I think it would benefit British player development if overseas players were limited to genuine stars, rather than sides being filled with foreign journeymen.

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 18:25 - Feb 3 with 2610 viewsSharkey

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 18:01 - Feb 3 by Radlett_blue

It's actually an interesting point. Theoretically, all foreigners should have to get work permits, depending on what deal is eventually reached with the EU. I think it would benefit British player development if overseas players were limited to genuine stars, rather than sides being filled with foreign journeymen.

Agreed, - but I think it's a shame that some of our journeymen won't get the chance to try playing in Europe, just when it seems a few more are willing to give it a try for a year or two.
Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 19:45 - Feb 3 with 2546 viewsstrikalite

Do we have any decent scouts ? I cant remember the last decent player we spotted on 18:25 - Feb 3 by Sharkey

Agreed, - but I think it's a shame that some of our journeymen won't get the chance to try playing in Europe, just when it seems a few more are willing to give it a try for a year or two.

Slightly off track but if Dozzell went overseas to something that suited for a couple of seasons, it'd turn him into a far far better player, he's learning very little right now.
Do we have any decent scouts ? on 19:58 - Feb 3 with 2519 viewsLankHenners

We still have Dave Bowman at the club who has lots of contacts and knows how to spot a player and Mick used him very well.

It's pretty clear Hurst didn't bother with him and I'm not convinced Lambert has done either, which is very stupid.

A properly run club would be making the most of people like Bowman and employ people in top-level roles with his level of knowledge about the game. Ah well.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Do we have any decent scouts ? on 20:05 - Feb 3 with 2496 viewsSwansea_Blue

Do we have any decent scouts ? on 13:59 - Feb 3 by factual_blue

I got my home help badge. In the name of the Cubs, I also collected all the newspapers from houses in our street (pre-recycling of course), then picked out all the page 3s and stuck them all over our house windows, tits side out.

I’m not sure why. And I can’t remember if there was a particular badge for that.

I set fire to the unwanted papers in our garage and my gran had to call the fire brigade (I don’t think I was an easy child, or particularly bright looking back on it 😬).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024