Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy 17:49 - May 7 with 2107 viewsSouthBucksBlue

The track and trace app doesn’t even record location. Just proximity to others who test positive, not that the former should be a problem anyway, assuming you have nothing to hide.
Politicians now joining the media in stoking up this obsession with privacy is ridiculous.
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 17:52 - May 7 with 2102 viewsBlueBadger

Yeah, it's a good job that the Efficient Private Sector companies charged with making it work don't have a reputation for cavalier handling of data or fiddling of figures as well.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 17:55 - May 7 with 2086 viewsfactual_blue

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 17:52 - May 7 by BlueBadger

Yeah, it's a good job that the Efficient Private Sector companies charged with making it work don't have a reputation for cavalier handling of data or fiddling of figures as well.

Who can forget the memory sticks of personal data that they accidentally lost on a roundabout?

Or the consultant from [redacted] management consultant firm who e-mailed himself a load of confidential personal data 'to work on at home'.....

Further instances of negligence and incompetence by the EPS are available.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 18:01 - May 7 with 2063 viewsSouthBucksBlue

But the app doesn’t gather sensitive data.
South Korea implemented a track and trace within days.
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 18:04 - May 7 with 2043 viewssparks

But you will need your location on to make it work I imagine.

My objection to that is that every other invidious app will be tracking you when you do that. Mine is off unless using a map.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 18:11 - May 7 with 2014 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 17:55 - May 7 by factual_blue

Who can forget the memory sticks of personal data that they accidentally lost on a roundabout?

Or the consultant from [redacted] management consultant firm who e-mailed himself a load of confidential personal data 'to work on at home'.....

Further instances of negligence and incompetence by the EPS are available.

Okay let’s wait for weeks or months before implementing what will make a huge difference to containment and accept more morbidity in the meantime because of privacy concerns over harmless data.
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 18:12 - May 7 with 2011 viewsSarge

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 18:04 - May 7 by sparks

My objection to that is that every other invidious app will be tracking you when you do that. Mine is off unless using a map.

You can toggle location for individual apps and services. Just set them all to off except for this thing and the map.
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 18:20 - May 7 with 1995 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 18:04 - May 7 by sparks

I might be wrong but I thought it has been stated that the app doesn’t use GPS. I thought it uses Bluetooth, gathering device generated signatures which can subsequently be cross matched.
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 18:40 - May 7 with 1969 viewssparks

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 18:20 - May 7 by SouthBucksBlue

I might be wrong but I thought it has been stated that the app doesn’t use GPS. I thought it uses Bluetooth, gathering device generated signatures which can subsequently be cross matched.

Brings its own problems- but perhaps better if thats right

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 19:21 - May 7 with 1944 viewsfactual_blue

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 18:11 - May 7 by SouthBucksBlue

Okay let’s wait for weeks or months before implementing what will make a huge difference to containment and accept more morbidity in the meantime because of privacy concerns over harmless data.

I was talking about basic administrative competence, not data privacy.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 19:31 - May 7 with 1932 viewsGuthrum

Good piece linked by DanTheMan a couple of days ago: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/blog-post/security-behind-nhs-contact-tracing-app

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 20:12 - May 7 with 1912 viewsFenland_Blue

She's all for privacy since she shunted that parked car while on her mobile phone, then doing a runner without stopping and leaving her name or insurance details.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 20:47 - May 7 with 1889 viewsSwansea_Blue

There's a fundamental flaw in the plan anyway as it assumes people carry their phones on them at all times. I don't, so it's not something worth me downloading.

(Obviously a lot of people do and we're not all Luddites).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 20:48 - May 7 with 1890 viewsStokieBlue

So watching Channel 4 right now there are a number of people who won't download the app which highlights the problem the government have.

They have been criticised in many arenas (including this one) for not taking a contract tracing approach but there is a portion of the public would adamantly refuse to participate in such an approach.

This is also concerning, bit rubbish to have an app that has to run in the foreground most of the time:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/5/21248288/uk-covid-19-contact-tracing-app-bluet

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 23:50 - May 7 with 1840 viewsWeWereZombies

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 20:47 - May 7 by Swansea_Blue

There's a fundamental flaw in the plan anyway as it assumes people carry their phones on them at all times. I don't, so it's not something worth me downloading.

(Obviously a lot of people do and we're not all Luddites).

I have my smartphone close at hand most of the time, but that is just for my diary and a few apps, because I am only within range of a mobile signal about 5% of the time. There are still vast areas of the United Kingdom over which the Covid app is unlikely to function.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 00:14 - May 8 with 1828 viewstonybied

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 23:50 - May 7 by WeWereZombies

I have my smartphone close at hand most of the time, but that is just for my diary and a few apps, because I am only within range of a mobile signal about 5% of the time. There are still vast areas of the United Kingdom over which the Covid app is unlikely to function.

It doesn't need a constant mobile signal just your Bluetooth on all the time. When you do get a signal or WiFi connection it will check to see if any other Bluetooth devices it's been close enough to communicate with have been triggered i.e. you've been in contact with someone suspected of having covid-19.
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 07:19 - May 8 with 1766 viewsWeWereZombies

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 00:14 - May 8 by tonybied

It doesn't need a constant mobile signal just your Bluetooth on all the time. When you do get a signal or WiFi connection it will check to see if any other Bluetooth devices it's been close enough to communicate with have been triggered i.e. you've been in contact with someone suspected of having covid-19.

I don't use Bluetooth either. I know some people who don't even have a mobile phone. And don't want one. Whilst communications technology is often a great enabler it can sometimes be a tragic cause of division in our society.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 07:28 - May 8 with 1761 viewsBloomBlue

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 20:12 - May 7 by Fenland_Blue

She's all for privacy since she shunted that parked car while on her mobile phone, then doing a runner without stopping and leaving her name or insurance details.

Precisely. I still think she was plssed that day that's why she did a runner. "I'm Harriet Harman — you know where you can get hold of me," 
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 09:21 - May 8 with 1722 viewsChurchman

I’m not sure if multi millionaire Harriet Harman still has her very large house in Waldringfield, but if she does, she can go there because there’s no mobile signal there.
[Post edited 8 May 2020 9:27]
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 09:27 - May 8 with 1705 viewsr2d2

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 07:19 - May 8 by WeWereZombies

I don't use Bluetooth either. I know some people who don't even have a mobile phone. And don't want one. Whilst communications technology is often a great enabler it can sometimes be a tragic cause of division in our society.

I dont use Bluetooth either. I dont have my phone on most of the day. Not allowed where l work. Not practical to have them with us at work either. Loads of people coming and going all day where we work too. Its simply not going to work for an awful lot of people.
[Post edited 8 May 2020 9:28]
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 09:37 - May 8 with 1679 viewsElephantintheRoom

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 23:50 - May 7 by WeWereZombies

i think you will find that most of the people who are most at risk of getting this disease - and consequently the ones that will get it dont even have a mobile phone. Add in absurdities like the greatest risk is people who are asymptommatic - and they are also going to count people with sniffles, hay fever and hypochondria.... and it becomes utterly pointless.

On the other hand whilst we are in the pretend lockdown, most people are at home, where there phone might be down the side of the sofa... so it sort of makes sense on that basis.

It's also not worth doing unless people in contact with the virus are tested at least twice a week.... allowing for re-tests that's something like 3 million test a week... at present there is a 10 day waiting delay on 50,000 a day... so there is a little way to go.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 11:59 - May 8 with 1637 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 19:21 - May 7 by factual_blue

I was talking about basic administrative competence, not data privacy.

In that case I agree with you.
What I disagree with is concern about the privacy of innocuous data at the expense of potentially saving lives and helping to facilitate a return to some sort of normality.
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 12:01 - May 8 with 1634 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 18:40 - May 7 by sparks

Brings its own problems- but perhaps better if thats right

What kind of problems? I can’t see the issue.
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 12:03 - May 8 with 1630 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 20:48 - May 7 by StokieBlue

So watching Channel 4 right now there are a number of people who won't download the app which highlights the problem the government have.

They have been criticised in many arenas (including this one) for not taking a contract tracing approach but there is a portion of the public would adamantly refuse to participate in such an approach.

This is also concerning, bit rubbish to have an app that has to run in the foreground most of the time:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/5/21248288/uk-covid-19-contact-tracing-app-bluet

SB

If that’s the case then either they have something to hide or they’ve been blinded by data privacy paranoia whipped up by the media.
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 12:06 - May 8 with 1626 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 09:37 - May 8 by ElephantintheRoom

i think you will find that most of the people who are most at risk of getting this disease - and consequently the ones that will get it dont even have a mobile phone. Add in absurdities like the greatest risk is people who are asymptommatic - and they are also going to count people with sniffles, hay fever and hypochondria.... and it becomes utterly pointless.

On the other hand whilst we are in the pretend lockdown, most people are at home, where there phone might be down the side of the sofa... so it sort of makes sense on that basis.

It's also not worth doing unless people in contact with the virus are tested at least twice a week.... allowing for re-tests that's something like 3 million test a week... at present there is a 10 day waiting delay on 50,000 a day... so there is a little way to go.

Why did it work so well in South Korea then?
Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 12:09 - May 8 with 1618 viewsm14_blue

Harriet Harman bleating about data privacy on 12:06 - May 8 by SouthBucksBlue

Why did it work so well in South Korea then?

Yep, of course it’s not a silver bullet that will solve everything but no one’s claiming it is.

If it helps, even in a small way, then we should be doing it.

*assuming you’re right about the lack of privacy issues (not my area at all).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024