Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Todays announcement will be interesting 07:04 - May 12 with 1265 viewsgtsb1966

If they announce plans to cut it to 60% it's going to force millions back to work too early and we all know what the consequences of that will be. I'm guessing it will be 80% until the end of June and then cut.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52627655
Todays announcement will be interesting on 07:07 - May 12 with 1239 viewsstopmoaning

The original 80% was for 3 months, which I believe takes it into June. So yeah, will probably drop after that for another period.
Todays announcement will be interesting on 07:44 - May 12 with 1161 viewsTractorWood

This was excellent but as people allude to the next move is key. A lot of employers will be feeling the pinch and if the tap is turned off too abruptly there is a possibility of a unprecedented number of redundancies.

I suspect maybe 65% for July and 50% for August?

The Government have said no cliff edge withdrawal but their word isn't worth the green and yellow paper it's written on.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Todays announcement will be interesting on 07:59 - May 12 with 1119 viewsGlasgowBlue

Hopefully the 80% will be extended for the hospitality industry.

Sounds like they will announce that staff can work reduced hours and the government will make up the shortfall.

That’s great for small business owners who may be doing seven days a week because they can’t use furloughed workers to get a couple of days off.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Todays announcement will be interesting on 07:59 - May 12 with 1118 viewshomer_123

It's no surprise and, if I'm honest two things:

1. 80% was never sustainable for any length of period
2. If they reduce to 60% for another 2 or 3 months that is way, way more than I was exepcting

They don't have a choice though - people seem to be under the impression there are going to go back their jobs and the way things were. We are going to see upwards of 2 million losing their jobs. There will be a lot that will be laid off when furlough ends.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Todays announcement will be interesting on 07:59 - May 12 with 1117 viewsElderGrizzly

There is funding until October, albeit at a reduced level to now.

The current scheme is funded at 80% until 30th June
Todays announcement will be interesting on 08:30 - May 12 with 1043 viewspeterleeblue

Todays announcement will be interesting on 07:59 - May 12 by GlasgowBlue

Hopefully the 80% will be extended for the hospitality industry.

Sounds like they will announce that staff can work reduced hours and the government will make up the shortfall.

That’s great for small business owners who may be doing seven days a week because they can’t use furloughed workers to get a couple of days off.

Hospitality Industry will need support until a vaccine or treatment is found. The majority of businesses will not operate solvently (I wouldn't even use profitably) if SD is in place.
Todays announcement will be interesting on 08:31 - May 12 with 1040 viewshampstead_blue

if he does drop it then it may not be all that bad.

My employer allows me to work for another and earn money whilst furloughed. I've been doing a part-time job to top up my wages very happily.

It does clearly depend on the employer but worth a look.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Todays announcement will be interesting on 09:20 - May 12 with 921 viewsslump

Todays announcement will be interesting on 08:31 - May 12 by hampstead_blue

if he does drop it then it may not be all that bad.

My employer allows me to work for another and earn money whilst furloughed. I've been doing a part-time job to top up my wages very happily.

It does clearly depend on the employer but worth a look.

For you, you mean .....

UTT

Login to get fewer ads

Todays announcement will be interesting on 09:29 - May 12 with 892 viewsgordon

Todays announcement will be interesting on 08:30 - May 12 by peterleeblue

Hospitality Industry will need support until a vaccine or treatment is found. The majority of businesses will not operate solvently (I wouldn't even use profitably) if SD is in place.

I don't think it will be feasible to provide specific support to whole sectors for years - we just need to accept that there's going to be a lot of redundancies over the next year and a restructuring of society. If it means that unemployment support is increased to a more reasonable level, then some good will have come of it.
Todays announcement will be interesting on 09:30 - May 12 with 889 viewssparks

Todays announcement will be interesting on 09:20 - May 12 by slump

For you, you mean .....

There is not logic to a drop at all currently. According to Boris- they have simply reiterated the existing message and nothing has changed!

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Todays announcement will be interesting on 10:13 - May 12 with 804 viewshampstead_blue

Todays announcement will be interesting on 09:20 - May 12 by slump

For you, you mean .....

No.

For thousands who are doing the same. I saw an ad on FB yesterday offering £10 per hour working on the testing sites.
When I had my test there were people of all ages there.

Not just me, but for many. No need to be spiteful.

Edit; Why focus on the negative? The positive is in what I have stated. Looking down isn't the answer. Please try and be more positive.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 10:15]

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Todays announcement will be interesting on 10:25 - May 12 with 776 viewsJakeITFC

All comes back to that Graham Brady quote about the public being "a little too willing" to stay at home, doesn't it?

The right of the government think that have conflated a public health emergency with work shyness.

They're going to starve people back to work, back onto the tubes and buses and second spike now seems like an inevitability rather than possibility.
Todays announcement will be interesting on 10:35 - May 12 with 751 viewsBlueBadger

Todays announcement will be interesting on 09:29 - May 12 by gordon

I don't think it will be feasible to provide specific support to whole sectors for years - we just need to accept that there's going to be a lot of redundancies over the next year and a restructuring of society. If it means that unemployment support is increased to a more reasonable level, then some good will have come of it.

Well, if there's one thing we know we can rely on 'small government, low tax' Tories to do it's rely on them to support people who've fallen on hard times through no fault of their own through difficult waters.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Todays announcement will be interesting on 10:44 - May 12 with 727 viewsStokieBlue

It's actually not as expensive as I thought it would be, 40bn every 3 months does equate to a years budget for the NHS every 9 months but in the grand scheme of things they should be able to borrow at a reasonable enough rate to extend for another 3 months.

Given that they definitely should be extending.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Todays announcement will be interesting on 10:49 - May 12 with 697 viewsBlueBadger

Todays announcement will be interesting on 10:44 - May 12 by StokieBlue

It's actually not as expensive as I thought it would be, 40bn every 3 months does equate to a years budget for the NHS every 9 months but in the grand scheme of things they should be able to borrow at a reasonable enough rate to extend for another 3 months.

SB

Or, we could cancel HS2 and Trident renewal and use the money earmarked for that, for example.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Todays announcement will be interesting on 10:52 - May 12 with 683 viewsStokieBlue

Todays announcement will be interesting on 10:49 - May 12 by BlueBadger

Or, we could cancel HS2 and Trident renewal and use the money earmarked for that, for example.

No arguments from me on HS2, a totally pointless project.

Trident is also not really needed although the spending for that is over a 30 year period so wouldn't immediately cover the costs like cancelling HS2 would.

Either way there doesn't seem a need to end the furlough at the end of June.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Todays announcement will be interesting on 10:55 - May 12 with 677 viewshampstead_blue

Todays announcement will be interesting on 10:44 - May 12 by StokieBlue

SB

it's a tricky balance.

Some sectors are going to fail. It's inevitable and there is nothing the Gov can do about it. You have to let them go and when it's right they will come back.

Assuming that is the case what to do next? You can extend on a much lower %.

This will, hopefully encourage people to take up the available jobs in sectors which are still working. There are plenty of jobs out there. Ok it's not ideal but it's a job.

I hope it is extended with a decent reduction to encourage work where it can be found.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024