Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Footballers returning to play 08:57 - May 23 with 2586 viewsArnieM

At the risk of starting WW3 on here, ( and that really isn’t my intention here), I was thinking the other day about this whole issue of the resumption of professional football in the UK to complete this seasons fixtures, ( and I know it’s been done to death), but I have a simple question .

The Government have now said, if you can return to work safely , do so. The advice 8s now also it is safe to meet ( in the UK) a person not from your household outside, keeping 2ms, ( up to 6 if you live in Ireland).

So, Why is it deemed so outrageous for footballers to return work. What makes it any more dangerous for them compared to the vast majority of the population who work in enclosed spaces like offices / factories.

Ok , they would be in close proximity on the pitch at times, but they are outside and not in an enclosed space. The game is awash with money , why can’t the squads / background staff ( which can be limited to the minimum), Be tested and re tested throughout the 50 odd days it’s expected to complete these fixtures. If individuals are positive , they stay away. If not the squad stay isolated together until these games are completed? Clearly if players don’t want to return just yet , that’s their prerogative and remain away. But Clubs have large enough squads to cater for that Im sure.

I’d be interested in your thoughts guys........

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Footballers returning to play on 09:00 - May 23 with 2565 viewspointofblue

I think one thing will be why should sportsman be tested and re-tested so they can pick a ball around whilst the country is still struggling to ensure key workers and care home residents can access the tests required.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Footballers returning to play on 09:02 - May 23 with 2554 viewsartsbossbeard

Not sure about anyone else but it just seems so irrelevant right now to me.

Last night I remembered the Berlin derby was on, so stuck it on. No crowd, no atmosphere and all rather sterile. Flicking through my phone after 5 mins, making brownies after 15 and dozing in the second half.

This isn't football.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Footballers returning to play on 09:09 - May 23 with 2510 viewsstrikalite

Hard to argue what you're saying, can understand Troy Deeney's position but testing is key here and that should give them the confidence I'd have thought..
Footballers returning to play on 10:40 - May 23 with 2425 viewsBlueNomad

Footballers returning to play on 09:00 - May 23 by pointofblue

I think one thing will be why should sportsman be tested and re-tested so they can pick a ball around whilst the country is still struggling to ensure key workers and care home residents can access the tests required.

Spot on. Key workers aren’t being given the right protection and football is only “important” in so much as a few million of us like it. I like going to gigs as much but there seems to be more acceptance that they won’t be happening for a long while yet.
Footballers returning to play on 10:59 - May 23 with 2403 viewsbluelagos

Footballers, like anyone, are entitled to be safe at work and some will be more anxious than others.

Clearly maintaining 2m isnt compatable with playing, hence why they will have testing. Whether that is 100% reliable I don't know, but they will need to be reassured it is reliable and timely. No use having a test on Thurs, getting infected Fri, playing on Sat after Thurs result comes in Sat am.

Have watched a German game and the lack of a crowd makes in unwatchable for me. Whether I would be the same with the Premiership I dont know yet, but it isnt good.

Last point, we all have different attitudes to risk. I was always happy to get outside, go shopping. Others still won't do either. Many people are genuinely scared at the moment. Footballers will be no different, some people worry more than others.

So whilst I am relaxed of the risks on a personal level, we shouldn't dismiss those who are significantly more risk averse. Many people are going to need an awful lot of reassurance before they venture outside and engage in life.

We have had 8 weeks of "Stay inside, protect lives" which meant many people equated leaving the house as possibly killing people. (And if you had spread the disease that could be true) Many are not going to immediately change their view.

The messengers had to scare people into staying home. They did a very effective job and now coaxing them out is proving very difficult. Some of those reluctant to reengage with the outside are footballers...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Footballers returning to play on 11:03 - May 23 with 2398 viewsShawsey

They will be sweating and rubbing against each other, that can't be a good thing. The images from the German league made me laugh. Subs wearing masks in the stands, then coming on and rubbing against the opposition. Doesn't make any sense. And the elbow bumping when scoring, they are in contact throughout the game, so makes no difference. If I were a player now, I don't think I would want to play at the moment. Finish this season properly when possible.
Footballers returning to play on 11:13 - May 23 with 2371 viewsBlueBadger

Unlike our players this season, most footballers will be looking to try to get close to the other team.
Add in the fact that sweat, spit and blood are flying about all the time, dressing rooms(particulary away ones) are often cramped and warm it's not particularly safe infection control-wise.
Not to mention that a significant proportion of footballers are BAME, a group which has been shown to be of higher risk from covid 19.

I can't see how any kind of match can be safely played at the moment.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Footballers returning to play on 11:19 - May 23 with 2358 viewsmikeybloo88

Footballers returning to play on 11:13 - May 23 by BlueBadger

Unlike our players this season, most footballers will be looking to try to get close to the other team.
Add in the fact that sweat, spit and blood are flying about all the time, dressing rooms(particulary away ones) are often cramped and warm it's not particularly safe infection control-wise.
Not to mention that a significant proportion of footballers are BAME, a group which has been shown to be of higher risk from covid 19.

I can't see how any kind of match can be safely played at the moment.

You assume the rigorous testing will fail and that it is inevitable an infectious player will get through the net and infect others, or someone will forget to disinfect a toilet seat or doorhandle properly ...that may happen but if it doesn't they should be perfectly safe no? has any German player tested positive as a result of last weeks games? Genuine question, I don't know the answer..
[Post edited 23 May 2020 11:23]
Login to get fewer ads

Footballers returning to play on 11:21 - May 23 with 2348 viewsmikeybloo88

Footballers returning to play on 09:02 - May 23 by artsbossbeard

Not sure about anyone else but it just seems so irrelevant right now to me.

Last night I remembered the Berlin derby was on, so stuck it on. No crowd, no atmosphere and all rather sterile. Flicking through my phone after 5 mins, making brownies after 15 and dozing in the second half.

This isn't football.

It's football to the Berlin fans...and to those fans whose teams are affected by it. The EPL will be more interesting as it is our league and many will have skin in the game....even us.
Footballers returning to play on 11:29 - May 23 with 2318 viewsShawsey

Footballers returning to play on 11:19 - May 23 by mikeybloo88

You assume the rigorous testing will fail and that it is inevitable an infectious player will get through the net and infect others, or someone will forget to disinfect a toilet seat or doorhandle properly ...that may happen but if it doesn't they should be perfectly safe no? has any German player tested positive as a result of last weeks games? Genuine question, I don't know the answer..

Some players have tested positive. I don't know if this as a result of playing.
Footballers returning to play on 12:42 - May 23 with 2244 viewsBlueBadger

Footballers returning to play on 11:19 - May 23 by mikeybloo88

There's at 25-30% rate of 'false negatives' on tests with a lead time of about 24-48 hours from test to result, I feel that margins for risk are a bit iffy. But, it's not health that driving all this, it's monet.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Footballers returning to play on 19:49 - May 23 with 2121 viewsstonojnr

Footballers returning to play on 11:21 - May 23 by mikeybloo88

It's football to the Berlin fans...and to those fans whose teams are affected by it. The EPL will be more interesting as it is our league and many will have skin in the game....even us.

it maybe football, but is it any good ? I watched the game, out of curiosity more than any craving to watch live sport via the television...but if that was a Berlin derby game then where youd expect a bit of passion and intensity, the Union Berlin players didnt look like they wanted to be there, it was all very going through the motions kind of game, like a pre season friendly really, once theyd let in a few goals, you could see they were just clock watching waiting for it to end, it was really a lets just get this over with kind of game to watch.

so I dont see the point, but then I dont see the problem with delaying playing these games till later
Footballers returning to play on 20:33 - May 23 with 2086 viewssundaze

Footballers returning to play on 12:42 - May 23 by BlueBadger

There's at 25-30% rate of 'false negatives' on tests with a lead time of about 24-48 hours from test to result, I feel that margins for risk are a bit iffy. But, it's not health that driving all this, it's monet.

Those bl00dy French impressionists, can't leave anything alone.
Footballers returning to play on 20:38 - May 23 with 2083 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Which is safer? To play football with all the testing, protection and support of the Premier League or to go into a primary school with children aged 4, 5, 10 and 11?

But one of those is supposedly good to go in a week despite the Government failing to respond to any of the concerns raised by the NEU and other teacher unions.

It increasingly looks like the Nightingales are in preparation for when to second wave hits.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Footballers returning to play on 20:43 - May 23 with 2067 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don't think it is being deemed outrageous is it? The problem I've got with it all is how late it'll push things by the time they've had a mini-close season. We're getting very close to upsetting the start of next season, which seems a bit daft to me. If they can keep most of the disruption to this season that seems cleaner. Jutst try and start afresh next season including a decent pre-season.

I can understand if a few players aren't keen on going back, and that should be their choice (it'll be impossible for them to social distance). And to be fair to clubs they don't seem to be forcing them back, which is right I think. Some will have genuine reasons because they may have family members on the high risk list.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Footballers returning to play on 14:13 - May 24 with 1841 viewsArnieM

Footballers returning to play on 20:43 - May 23 by Swansea_Blue

I don't think it is being deemed outrageous is it? The problem I've got with it all is how late it'll push things by the time they've had a mini-close season. We're getting very close to upsetting the start of next season, which seems a bit daft to me. If they can keep most of the disruption to this season that seems cleaner. Jutst try and start afresh next season including a decent pre-season.

I can understand if a few players aren't keen on going back, and that should be their choice (it'll be impossible for them to social distance). And to be fair to clubs they don't seem to be forcing them back, which is right I think. Some will have genuine reasons because they may have family members on the high risk list.

What’s wrong with finishing this season , Over July / August , then starting next season in Dec: Jan but playing only half a season. Teams playing each other just once . It’s the luck of the draw if you’re home if away against respective teams. This would all the leagues to reset for a full season starting 2022 .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Footballers returning to play on 15:26 - May 24 with 1790 viewsIpswichKnight

I just can’t see L1 clubs voting to re-start this season, we should be lobbying for a September re-start and doing away with the EFL trophy and League cup.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024