Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando 10:18 - Oct 30 with 967 viewsPendejo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Maradona

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54737750

Sadly couldn't find a Napoli gif at short notice, if you've seen the film you'll know the type... Lots of vicious tackles ridden or avoided whilst setting up or scoring goals.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 10:39 - Oct 30 with 935 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

An absolutely brilliant film, watched it on the plane to Cuba almost a year BC (before Covid).

There were so many stand out moments, if you haven't seen it, please please watch it soon!
Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 10:48 - Oct 30 with 916 viewstivo

Oh look another Defender has lunged in. Defending really used to be awful. Toto Levels.
Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 10:50 - Oct 30 with 920 viewsghostofescobar

A complex, exploited, tortured soul, with a very dark side. I've been slightly obsessed with Diego Armando Maradona for many years. It's extremely easy to feel repulsed by him: his life has been blighted by depression, drugs, wrong decisions, bad company, often not helped by many of his own traits, but no matter what, I can't ever, ever get away from the beautiful footballer he could be. And that's what it always seems to distill down to when I think about him, just beauty on the field, the simple game that football is, but he took it somewhere else. Something balletic in an era when heathens still stalked first class football. Balance, strength, skill and grace among the ordinary who were allowed to step on to the same patch of grass as him. A magical footballer, a flawed human being. Happy birthday, Diego.

GhostOfEscobar

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 10:51 - Oct 30 with 912 viewsfarkenhell

Sorry, I just can't get over the hand of god. I know I should after all this time, but I can't.

The cheating barsteward.
Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 10:57 - Oct 30 with 910 viewsPendejo

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 10:51 - Oct 30 by farkenhell

Sorry, I just can't get over the hand of god. I know I should after all this time, but I can't.

The cheating barsteward.

And if it had been Butcher at the other end..?

Besides your ire shouldn't be with him but with the referee and linesman, who either plain didn't see it or....
[Post edited 30 Oct 2020 10:57]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 11:00 - Oct 30 with 909 viewsChrisd

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 10:50 - Oct 30 by ghostofescobar

A complex, exploited, tortured soul, with a very dark side. I've been slightly obsessed with Diego Armando Maradona for many years. It's extremely easy to feel repulsed by him: his life has been blighted by depression, drugs, wrong decisions, bad company, often not helped by many of his own traits, but no matter what, I can't ever, ever get away from the beautiful footballer he could be. And that's what it always seems to distill down to when I think about him, just beauty on the field, the simple game that football is, but he took it somewhere else. Something balletic in an era when heathens still stalked first class football. Balance, strength, skill and grace among the ordinary who were allowed to step on to the same patch of grass as him. A magical footballer, a flawed human being. Happy birthday, Diego.

These types of characters are always flawed and in Diego's case he was most certainly a footballing genius.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 11:18 - Oct 30 with 877 viewsMookamoo

Pleasantly surprised he made it any where near 60.
Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 18:25 - Oct 30 with 821 viewsMattinLondon

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 10:57 - Oct 30 by Pendejo

And if it had been Butcher at the other end..?

Besides your ire shouldn't be with him but with the referee and linesman, who either plain didn't see it or....
[Post edited 30 Oct 2020 10:57]

Presumably people who can’t get over the hand of God thing are also disgusted by Owen who dived against Argentina in 2002.

One thing about the hand of God goal - how on earth did a short podgy fella manage to so comprehensively out-jump Shilton.
Login to get fewer ads

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 18:57 - Oct 30 with 802 viewsbenrhyddingblue

A friend sent me this earlier in the week

Genius at work!

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulreidy67/status/1320709132647804928?s=09
Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 19:01 - Oct 30 with 798 viewsvindicatedblue

A cheat who robbed SBR of the chance to win the World Cup.
Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 19:20 - Oct 30 with 791 viewsTrequartista

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 18:25 - Oct 30 by MattinLondon

Presumably people who can’t get over the hand of God thing are also disgusted by Owen who dived against Argentina in 2002.

One thing about the hand of God goal - how on earth did a short podgy fella manage to so comprehensively out-jump Shilton.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 20:13 - Oct 30 with 773 viewsSwansea_Blue

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 10:50 - Oct 30 by ghostofescobar

Nice post. He’ll ultimately always be a cheating a-hole, but that does highlight the complexity around his life. Superb footballer of course.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 12:00 - Oct 31 with 715 viewsbrazil1982

Jimmy burns' biography of him is a great read. Then read Maradona's own autobiography and see the contrast.
Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 12:06 - Oct 31 with 708 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Happy 60th Birthday Diego Armando on 10:51 - Oct 30 by farkenhell

The cheating barsteward.

No, you shouldn't.

Fantastic footballer and horrible cheat. The defining moment of his career was winning the World Cup ... by cheating as well as scoring a fantastic goal. In all probability they would have won that game without cheating and he could be remembered as a fantastic footballer and troubled soul. Instead he is rightly remembered as a cheat. That should never be forgotten.

To be fair, it was also the referee's fault for not spotting it and who would expect a player to own up in those circumstances. The best argument in favour of VAR there ever was, though.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024