Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meanwhile in Georgia.... 08:30 - Nov 5 with 3174 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

....it looks like it will be the 60,000 Libertarian Party votes that decide it!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 08:39 - Nov 5 with 1927 viewsuefacup81

In that they'll have, essentially, split the Biden vote? Or is there something going on there?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 08:43 - Nov 5 with 1905 viewsbluelagos

I have a few takes on what has happened.

Newnight stated Trumps share of the vote increased, as did his overall number of votes.

Higher turnout drove increases in both parties, voters recognised the importance.

Previously, Trump voters were more "enthusiastic" - i.e. More likely to vote. This time, voting by mail was made easier thus more Dems more likely to vote than previously.

But overall Dem share of vote hasn't grown. What they have done is focused better on the swing states were they lost last time.

So whilst Hillary also won the national vote, Biden's team worked better in a number of states to ensure he won. The mail in voting also helped him in those states too. Dems did all they could to assist mail voting knowing it would help them get their vote out.

America still split down the middle, still slightly more Dem than Rep. But the Dem party were better organised than before to ensure they won in the rust best states that delivered for Trump last time.

Shy voters is interesting - 19% of Trump voters either lie when asked or refuse to answer request for voting intentions (According to Rep polling guy last night). Same for 10% of Biden voters. Clear the polling organisations don't adjust enough for this imho.

Their system is fooking ridiculous when Cand A can get 3m more votes and still not win. Also they need to standardise the voting/counting rules. Appreciate they are different states but ffs - sort it out.

Have never known a system where voter suppression is a thing. It's disgusting that a party would even consider it. I know the Tories did the same in Westminster years back - but they were roundly condemned when found out.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 08:47 - Nov 5 with 1875 viewsbluelagos

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 08:39 - Nov 5 by uefacup81

In that they'll have, essentially, split the Biden vote? Or is there something going on there?

Think it is a more a sweet irony that a hard right candidate delivered the Dems the seat (If it happened)

Similar to the greens doing the same for Trump 4 years ago I think. (Although that was a bitter irony)

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 08:53 - Nov 5 with 1842 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 08:39 - Nov 5 by uefacup81

Trump would be their more natural home of the two....Trump currently about 23,000 ahead with 2% left to count.

Edit... fairly major edit, Trump ahead, not Biden.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 9:17]

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:16 - Nov 5 with 1760 viewsbrazil1982

Are there other parties / candidates standing? Hard to know beyond the R / D coverage. Thanks.
Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:17 - Nov 5 with 1754 viewsbluelagos

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:16 - Nov 5 by brazil1982

Are there other parties / candidates standing? Hard to know beyond the R / D coverage. Thanks.

Think there something like 1300 candidates for President.

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:22 - Nov 5 with 1728 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Trump is actually 23,000 ahead with only 60,000 left to count so who knows....either way those 60,000 Libertarian votes are very significant.

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:42 - Nov 5 with 1664 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:22 - Nov 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

Trump is actually 23,000 ahead with only 60,000 left to count so who knows....either way those 60,000 Libertarian votes are very significant.

So Biden would need 43,000 of the uncounted 60,000 votes!

Login to get fewer ads

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:47 - Nov 5 with 1650 viewsGuthrum

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:42 - Nov 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

But, given these are postal votes from largely Democrat-leaning urban areas, that is not particularly far-fetched.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:50 - Nov 5 with 1634 viewsNthQldITFC

I thought there were something like 220,000 votes left to count in Georgia?

EDIT: I was wrong!
RE-EDIT: Or was I?
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 11:13]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:51 - Nov 5 with 1633 viewsGuthrum

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:16 - Nov 5 by brazil1982

Nationally, really only the Libertarian Party receiving enough votes to register at all. There are - in some areas numerous - other parties and individuals, many only standing locally. They get tiny numbers of votes compared with the "big two".

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:56 - Nov 5 with 1591 viewsArnoldMoorhen

That's only 72ish%. Biden has consistently gained 70 to 80% in some Black majority areas. So not impossible, depends on where the uncounted votes are located.
Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 10:21 - Nov 5 with 1524 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:56 - Nov 5 by ArnoldMoorhen

That's only 72ish%. Biden has consistently gained 70 to 80% in some Black majority areas. So not impossible, depends on where the uncounted votes are located.

Similarly in PN Biden needs about 380,000 of 600,000 votes as Trump currently 160,000 ahead. Squeaky bum time!

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 10:27 - Nov 5 with 1499 viewsRyorry

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 10:21 - Nov 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

Similarly in PN Biden needs about 380,000 of 600,000 votes as Trump currently 160,000 ahead. Squeaky bum time!

PN? This election has done wonders for my knowledge of USA geography, but that one's a puzzle!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 10:52 - Nov 5 with 1450 viewsElderGrizzly

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 10:27 - Nov 5 by Ryorry

PN? This election has done wonders for my knowledge of USA geography, but that one's a puzzle!

It’s actually PA (Pennsylvania)
Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 10:54 - Nov 5 with 1431 viewsRyorry

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 10:52 - Nov 5 by ElderGrizzly

It’s actually PA (Pennsylvania)

Cheers!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 10:56 - Nov 5 with 1421 viewsElderGrizzly

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 10:54 - Nov 5 by Ryorry

Cheers!

And Georgia is now even closer. Down to 18,000 votes
Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 11:10 - Nov 5 with 1392 viewsFtnfwest

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 08:43 - Nov 5 by bluelagos

I have a few takes on what has happened.

Newnight stated Trumps share of the vote increased, as did his overall number of votes.

Higher turnout drove increases in both parties, voters recognised the importance.

Previously, Trump voters were more "enthusiastic" - i.e. More likely to vote. This time, voting by mail was made easier thus more Dems more likely to vote than previously.

But overall Dem share of vote hasn't grown. What they have done is focused better on the swing states were they lost last time.

So whilst Hillary also won the national vote, Biden's team worked better in a number of states to ensure he won. The mail in voting also helped him in those states too. Dems did all they could to assist mail voting knowing it would help them get their vote out.

America still split down the middle, still slightly more Dem than Rep. But the Dem party were better organised than before to ensure they won in the rust best states that delivered for Trump last time.

Shy voters is interesting - 19% of Trump voters either lie when asked or refuse to answer request for voting intentions (According to Rep polling guy last night). Same for 10% of Biden voters. Clear the polling organisations don't adjust enough for this imho.

Their system is fooking ridiculous when Cand A can get 3m more votes and still not win. Also they need to standardise the voting/counting rules. Appreciate they are different states but ffs - sort it out.

Have never known a system where voter suppression is a thing. It's disgusting that a party would even consider it. I know the Tories did the same in Westminster years back - but they were roundly condemned when found out.

yeah but how do we know the shy voters aren't lying about lying?
Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 11:17 - Nov 5 with 1364 viewsNthQldITFC

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 09:50 - Nov 5 by NthQldITFC

I thought there were something like 220,000 votes left to count in Georgia?

EDIT: I was wrong!
RE-EDIT: Or was I?
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 11:13]

CNN currently showing about 4,900,000 for Biden + Trump + ANOther (~60,000) and saying 96% counted gives about 204,000 to count by my reckoning...

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 11:43 - Nov 5 with 1284 viewsElderGrizzly

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 11:17 - Nov 5 by NthQldITFC

CNN currently showing about 4,900,000 for Biden + Trump + ANOther (~60,000) and saying 96% counted gives about 204,000 to count by my reckoning...

This from the Guardian is a good rolling update and has links to number of votes left to count compared to lead

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2020/nov/03/us-election-2020-

They only have GA at 100,000?!
Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 11:46 - Nov 5 with 1279 viewsNthQldITFC

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 11:43 - Nov 5 by ElderGrizzly

This from the Guardian is a good rolling update and has links to number of votes left to count compared to lead

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2020/nov/03/us-election-2020-

They only have GA at 100,000?!

Yeah, funnily enough I just looked at that, and they are showing 98% counted, which would account for the difference. Thing is the CNN figure of 96% counted has been consistently ticking along since yesterday. If CNN are right, that improves Biden's chances for GA considerably, given the admittedly large assumption that the remaining votes favour him.

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 11:51 - Nov 5 with 1249 viewsElderGrizzly

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 11:46 - Nov 5 by NthQldITFC

Yeah, funnily enough I just looked at that, and they are showing 98% counted, which would account for the difference. Thing is the CNN figure of 96% counted has been consistently ticking along since yesterday. If CNN are right, that improves Biden's chances for GA considerably, given the admittedly large assumption that the remaining votes favour him.

Anything that keeps the Cheeto in Chief out is good in my book
Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 12:18 - Nov 5 with 1178 viewsNthQldITFC

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 11:51 - Nov 5 by ElderGrizzly

Anything that keeps the Cheeto in Chief out is good in my book

Apparently Troump's soupporters are all chanting "Stop the count", and Biden's are responding "We joust aboout have".

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 12:29 - Nov 5 with 1146 viewsElderGrizzly

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 12:18 - Nov 5 by NthQldITFC

Apparently Troump's soupporters are all chanting "Stop the count", and Biden's are responding "We joust aboout have".

This is almost as important as the Presidential race.

If this goes to a run-off, it could hand the Senate to the Dems.

Meanwhile in Georgia.... on 13:09 - Nov 5 with 1058 viewsfactual_blue

The finest version of a great song

Recorded for Jimmy Carter's 1976 election campaign.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024