Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The more I read these Best XI's 12:05 - Apr 26 with 2207 viewsitfcjoe

The more I think we need to get someone who understands what Ipswich have been as a club, and understands what the 'Ipswich Way' is in charge of 1st team affairs.

Burley took us back to the Robson way in terms of style of play, and what was looked for in a player (technical ability above anything else in the first instance).

We now need someone to take us back to the Burley era, and have that Robson/Burley DNA running through them - you just read back the comments from them and you can see exactly how they see the game, and how in some cases they've taken that into their own careers.

Who then? Personally I think Dyer is the one with the big enough ego to do the job and contact book - because Mogga won't be available to do so who is the proven one.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The more I read these Best XI's on 12:41 - Apr 26 with 1656 viewsReuser_is_God

I wanted Mogga to replace Mick & I think we’d have got him if we really tried.

Not a chance now given how far Blackburn are now ahead of us.

Give it Dyer, can’t be any worse than Lambert & Hurst.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The more I read these Best XI's on 12:44 - Apr 26 with 1646 viewsPecker

The more I read these Best XI's on 12:41 - Apr 26 by Reuser_is_God

As long as he has an experience number 2, then yes, give it to Dyer.
The more I read these Best XI's on 13:12 - Apr 26 with 1598 viewsHerbivore

I'm becoming increasingly up for giving Dyer a go. Loves the club, knows what it's about. Seems to have done well enough as a coach with the yoots. He will need experience alongside, or ideally above, him so he can focus on coaching and managing the first team. The fans would be onside and would live with a transitional season if one was needed. He can't do any worse than Hurst or Lambert.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The more I read these Best XI's on 13:19 - Apr 26 with 1592 viewsGuthrum

The more I read these Best XI's on 12:41 - Apr 26 by Reuser_is_God

I still think Mogga was out of our reach, given how Blackburn were clearly on the up and had decent funds available. Would have liked to see him given the job, tho.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The more I read these Best XI's on 13:30 - Apr 26 with 1579 viewsAce_High1

Yes agreed, some with all of the Magilton/Holland Pocdasts we need someone passionate about the club, its where we have our success.

Would love Mogga and he should have had the job years ago but Dyer or Mcgreal look like the only realistic options now? What about that as a combination?
The more I read these Best XI's on 13:43 - Apr 26 with 1549 viewsBlueBadger

The more I read these Best XI's on 13:12 - Apr 26 by Herbivore

I'm becoming increasingly up for giving Dyer a go. Loves the club, knows what it's about. Seems to have done well enough as a coach with the yoots. He will need experience alongside, or ideally above, him so he can focus on coaching and managing the first team. The fans would be onside and would live with a transitional season if one was needed. He can't do any worse than Hurst or Lambert.

I'd be inclined to try and prise McGreal away from Colchester as he seems to be doing a useful job on a budget there. Chuck in Burley(for example) as DoF and that's potentially an exciting future.

Hell, we could even save having to pay Lambert off by making him marketing manager.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The more I read these Best XI's on 13:53 - Apr 26 with 1546 viewsitfcjoe

The more I read these Best XI's on 13:30 - Apr 26 by Ace_High1

Yes agreed, some with all of the Magilton/Holland Pocdasts we need someone passionate about the club, its where we have our success.

Would love Mogga and he should have had the job years ago but Dyer or Mcgreal look like the only realistic options now? What about that as a combination?

I think McGreal would bring his own team with him from Colchester - from when I speak to their fans I don't think they'd be sorry to see him go which is a concern

The more I read these Best XI's on 13:57 - Apr 26 with 1530 viewsPhilTWTD

What about Veno? His name was suggested to me as a potential candidate if there is a change here.
Login to get fewer ads

The more I read these Best XI's on 13:58 - Apr 26 with 1523 viewsPhilTWTD

The more I read these Best XI's on 13:43 - Apr 26 by BlueBadger

I'd be inclined to try and prise McGreal away from Colchester as he seems to be doing a useful job on a budget there. Chuck in Burley(for example) as DoF and that's potentially an exciting future.

Hell, we could even save having to pay Lambert off by making him marketing manager.

From what I'd heard - and obviously a lot could have changed in recent weeks - McGreal might well have been jettisoned by Colchester in the summer.
The more I read these Best XI's on 14:00 - Apr 26 with 1509 viewsyesjohn99

Dyer with Magilton as no 2?
The more I read these Best XI's on 14:02 - Apr 26 with 1487 viewsHerbivore

The more I read these Best XI's on 13:57 - Apr 26 by PhilTWTD

What about Veno? His name was suggested to me as a potential candidate if there is a change here.

Is he currently with Mogga? Not a bad shout.

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:08 - Apr 26 with 1479 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Personally, if we were going to go down that route I’d rather it was Burley himself that took charge with Dyer assisting and learning with a view to taking over down the line

Obviously Burley has been out of the game for some time but I think it would provide a huge boost with the fanbase and really create a buzz about the place (a proper one, not the forced temporary one we got with Lambert), and ultimately it comes back to the point that he could hardly do a worse job than what the incumbent is doing. Dyer’s more modern experience can fill some of the gaps too

It is probably a bit heart over head - but if Lambert does go and we end up with another has-been or never was on his 5th+ club I think I’ll probably cry

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:22 - Apr 26 with 1458 viewsHerbivore

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:08 - Apr 26 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Personally, if we were going to go down that route I’d rather it was Burley himself that took charge with Dyer assisting and learning with a view to taking over down the line

Obviously Burley has been out of the game for some time but I think it would provide a huge boost with the fanbase and really create a buzz about the place (a proper one, not the forced temporary one we got with Lambert), and ultimately it comes back to the point that he could hardly do a worse job than what the incumbent is doing. Dyer’s more modern experience can fill some of the gaps too

It is probably a bit heart over head - but if Lambert does go and we end up with another has-been or never was on his 5th+ club I think I’ll probably cry

I think Burley has been out of the game too long to come back as manager. I wouldn't be against him as DoF with Dyer as first team coach.

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:28 - Apr 26 with 1461 viewsPhilTWTD

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:02 - Apr 26 by Herbivore

Is he currently with Mogga? Not a bad shout.

Yes, Mogga's assistant. Has been looking for a club of his own for a while, I think. Was close to a job at some point but I forget where.
The more I read these Best XI's on 14:31 - Apr 26 with 1434 viewsHerbivore

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:28 - Apr 26 by PhilTWTD

Yes, Mogga's assistant. Has been looking for a club of his own for a while, I think. Was close to a job at some point but I forget where.

I certainly wouldn't be against that. I don't want another merry-go-round manager that's for sure.

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:35 - Apr 26 with 1431 viewsitfcjoe

The more I read these Best XI's on 13:57 - Apr 26 by PhilTWTD

I'm always a bit wary of long term number 2s stepping up, same reason I'd rule out Taricco - think they fall into that role for a reason

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:38 - Apr 26 with 1408 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:22 - Apr 26 by Herbivore

I think Burley has been out of the game too long to come back as manager. I wouldn't be against him as DoF with Dyer as first team coach.

That would be the worst possible way of doing it for me, as you’d be throwing Dyer in at the deep end on the management side whilst leaving someone that has been out of the game for several years to set the entire footballing strategy and direction of the club

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:44 - Apr 26 with 1393 viewsHerbivore

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:38 - Apr 26 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That would be the worst possible way of doing it for me, as you’d be throwing Dyer in at the deep end on the management side whilst leaving someone that has been out of the game for several years to set the entire footballing strategy and direction of the club

It enables Dyer to focus on coaching, which is where he has the most experience, and Burley doing the stuff where his experience is more vital, like developing the academy, ensuring we have proper scouting networks in place and the like. Your way gives the manager's job to someone who hasn't coached or set up a side in a decade.

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:52 - Apr 26 with 1375 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:44 - Apr 26 by Herbivore

It enables Dyer to focus on coaching, which is where he has the most experience, and Burley doing the stuff where his experience is more vital, like developing the academy, ensuring we have proper scouting networks in place and the like. Your way gives the manager's job to someone who hasn't coached or set up a side in a decade.

Dyer would be heavily involved the coaching either way, but your way would leave setting up the side to someone who has never ever done it

I would still see Lee O’Neill leading on the other stuff you mentioned, with Burley’s input

This is probably all wishful thinking as I doubt Evans would even consider going down this route, but it’s a nice thought

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:53 - Apr 26 with 1368 viewsHerbivore

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:52 - Apr 26 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Dyer would be heavily involved the coaching either way, but your way would leave setting up the side to someone who has never ever done it

I would still see Lee O’Neill leading on the other stuff you mentioned, with Burley’s input

This is probably all wishful thinking as I doubt Evans would even consider going down this route, but it’s a nice thought

Agree on the latter part, agree to disagree on the rest.

The more I read these Best XI's on 15:12 - Apr 26 with 1350 viewsPhilTWTD

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:35 - Apr 26 by itfcjoe

I'm always a bit wary of long term number 2s stepping up, same reason I'd rule out Taricco - think they fall into that role for a reason

In the case of Veno, I think he has always had plans to become a manager himself - I don't think Taricco has - but for various reasons this has been put on hold at times in the past.
The more I read these Best XI's on 15:17 - Apr 26 with 1340 viewstractorboy1978

Dyer just doesn't strike me as a manager. Not of a first team. And from what I've heard (it might not be quite true but his book also suggests this) he hasn't got a fantastic relationship with Burley, if a DOF above him is being suggested.

I listen to Magilton speak on those BM podcasts and it makes me feel so wound up how it ended here. Whether you agree/disagree with how he spent the money when Evans came in, he has the broad shoulders, personality, love for the club and 'Ipswich DNA' that you rightly say we need right now.
The more I read these Best XI's on 15:19 - Apr 26 with 1334 viewsoneoffposter

The more I read these Best XI's on 14:28 - Apr 26 by PhilTWTD

Veno has a reputation within the game for upsetting players with his outspoken ‘honest’ approach, if we get him would need to support him as could see a big upheaval with our delicate souls who struggle when told off or questioned

Probably in the passionate ‘Jim’ mould be a bumpy ride, but no more patronising free beers and constant ‘your the best’ rubbish just honest blunt truths

Dyer a no from me - never seen him as a manager doesn’t inspire people and prone to big sulks

What makes him more qualified than Titus? Both done a bit coaching and played at top and are local/live locally

Basically because Dyer does more press appears to be the answer
The more I read these Best XI's on 09:06 - Apr 27 with 1107 viewsDinnernotTea

You're all way off.

The next Ipswich manager will be Luke Chambers with Skuse as a no.2. Seems to me the pair have been plotting this for a while, downing tools when the going gets tough and in turn everyone blames the manager. It's a cheap option and Evans knows both well. I personally would be fuming with it and tempted to stay away, Chambers as a captain ON THE PITCH has been farcical. Allowing far too many players go through the motions at this football club in the past 7 years. A glorified cheerleader who actually is very smart in how he plays it to the fans.

This will get 23 down votes but there you go.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 9:08]

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

The more I read these Best XI's on 09:27 - Apr 27 with 1084 viewsMullet

The more I read these Best XI's on 15:12 - Apr 26 by PhilTWTD

In the case of Veno, I think he has always had plans to become a manager himself - I don't think Taricco has - but for various reasons this has been put on hold at times in the past.

I would love either frankly, and they would galvanise etc.

Interesting that this thread shows a lot of people remember these blokes as the players they were here essentially. Dyer especially still seems to be talked about like the youth he was, not the middle aged bloke he is now.

I loved Mogga as a player, but wasn't that enamoured by the thought of him coming here after MM obviously hindsight suggests he'd have done a job here, but I wonder if it'd have been much more than maintaining where we were at so it looks way more appealing because of how badly things went wrong.

I think if Lambert doesn't survive much longer it'll be another workman manager. But the natural succession of Chambers and Skuse if we are still in the mire in a few years time will be a very likely Evans play.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024