Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days 15:23 - Jan 5 with 1773 viewsElderGrizzly

We probably aren't far away from a 'pause' in top leagues i'd guess, with it more than doubling in 1 week?
[Post edited 5 Jan 2021 15:23]
40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 15:46 - Jan 5 with 1712 viewshoppy

Were they all just from the one party, though?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 15:55 - Jan 5 with 1676 viewsJammyDodgerrr

The wording of the statement makes it seem like there are based at just one or two clubs, so i imagine they will push on.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:02 - Jan 5 with 1649 viewsMrTown

Christmas gatherings.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:03 - Jan 5 with 1651 viewsitfcjoe

40 players across 20 clubs is not a massive deal, I just don't see what a pause achieves personally.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:04 - Jan 5 with 1639 viewsElderGrizzly

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:03 - Jan 5 by itfcjoe

40 players across 20 clubs is not a massive deal, I just don't see what a pause achieves personally.

I agree, it won't stop based on this number of positives.

The issue will come if it doubles again next week and then the week after etc
40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:05 - Jan 5 with 1630 viewswkj

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:03 - Jan 5 by itfcjoe

The cases are doubling, so 40 players across 20 clubs today could quickly become worse, especially with some of those young men flouting the rules.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:06 - Jan 5 with 1624 viewsLankHenners

UEFA seem pretty set on the Euros going ahead (which seems a bit mad anyway) and want all leagues done and dusted in time, which doesn't leave much room for extending the season by any amount.

Given that, I'm not sure how a pause would help. If you take as read that all clubs are adhering to strict rules i.e. limiting people at the training ground, players turning up in kit, leaving immediately afterwards, showers, canteen etc. closed, then the cases are being brought in from outside that environment, and as such we're just as likely to see cases in football as soon as it resumes, which renders the break a bit pointless.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:10 - Jan 5 with 1607 viewsElderGrizzly

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:06 - Jan 5 by LankHenners

UEFA seem pretty set on the Euros going ahead (which seems a bit mad anyway) and want all leagues done and dusted in time, which doesn't leave much room for extending the season by any amount.

Given that, I'm not sure how a pause would help. If you take as read that all clubs are adhering to strict rules i.e. limiting people at the training ground, players turning up in kit, leaving immediately afterwards, showers, canteen etc. closed, then the cases are being brought in from outside that environment, and as such we're just as likely to see cases in football as soon as it resumes, which renders the break a bit pointless.

Agree cases are coming from outside, but they always will unless you do like the Cricket teams etc and put players into a secure bubble while games are ongoing?

Which you can't do across a season. Do you restructure the season into smaller mini-tournaments where you bubble everyone for 3 week bursts for example?
Login to get fewer ads

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:14 - Jan 5 with 1594 viewswkj

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:10 - Jan 5 by ElderGrizzly

Agree cases are coming from outside, but they always will unless you do like the Cricket teams etc and put players into a secure bubble while games are ongoing?

Which you can't do across a season. Do you restructure the season into smaller mini-tournaments where you bubble everyone for 3 week bursts for example?

I did suggest a week or so ago, that I feel the leagues should temporarily look at minimising travel and creating smaller divisions within the league with knock out tournaments dictating champions and relegated teams.

In all seriousness though, football should follow the same rules as standard recreation if it is putting lives at risk- as much as I hate to admit it.

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:15 - Jan 5 with 1595 viewsitfcjoe

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:05 - Jan 5 by wkj

The cases are doubling, so 40 players across 20 clubs today could quickly become worse, especially with some of those young men flouting the rules.

It was 28 from 28-31 December and then 12 from 1-3 January so not sure that's the case.

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:17 - Jan 5 with 1584 viewsitfcjoe

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:06 - Jan 5 by LankHenners

I think UEFA's point, which is fair - is that they gave up international breaks and the likes to try and help the leagues out, but seem to be getting nothing back in return.

The clubs are squeexing everything they can out of the players, and making very few concessions and that when UEFA tried to help out it wanted them to be more responsible

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:18 - Jan 5 with 1580 viewswkj

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:15 - Jan 5 by itfcjoe

It was 28 from 28-31 December and then 12 from 1-3 January so not sure that's the case.

The Premier League says 40 players and club staff have tested positive for coronavirus over the past week - more than double the previous weekly high.

After previously testing once a week, the Premier League conducted 2,295 tests across two rounds over the past week.

Between 28 and 31 December, there were 28 new positive tests and 12 more found between 1 and 3 January.

The previous high was 18 positive results from 21 to 27 December.

28 Dec - 3 Jan = 1 weeks and 40 cases
21 Dec - 27 Dec = 1 week and 18 cases

That's a double

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:19 - Jan 5 with 1571 viewsElderGrizzly

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:15 - Jan 5 by itfcjoe

That's 1 full week though, just split across 2 tests.

Previous full week total was 18?
40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:24 - Jan 5 with 1549 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Of course they're keen for it to go ahead, they've ten of millions of pounds on the line in sponsorship to lose. The current situation in football is driven 100% by money, the show must go on no matter what.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:27 - Jan 5 with 1533 viewshomer_123

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:24 - Jan 5 by The_Last_Baron

Of course they're keen for it to go ahead, they've ten of millions of pounds on the line in sponsorship to lose. The current situation in football is driven 100% by money, the show must go on no matter what.

Which is why Ladies pro football is being treated differently.

No money in it.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 17:23 - Jan 5 with 1440 viewsPinewoodblue

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:19 - Jan 5 by ElderGrizzly

That's 1 full week though, just split across 2 tests.

Previous full week total was 18?

Al this seems to suggest is that clubs are not being as careful as they ought to be to protect players because there is the safety net of testing.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 17:26 - Jan 5 with 1428 viewsElderGrizzly

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 17:23 - Jan 5 by Pinewoodblue

Al this seems to suggest is that clubs are not being as careful as they ought to be to protect players because there is the safety net of testing.

Like Assistant Referees and VAR
40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 18:03 - Jan 5 with 1372 viewsitfcjoe

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:27 - Jan 5 by homer_123

No money in it.

It's not, it's because it isn't classified as Elite Sport except for the top 2 tiers which are continuing.

Earlier this year the National League, and the National League North and South, changed their status from normal to Elite sport, which allowed them to play their play offs, but subsequently meant that they couldn't have fans back at games even though those at Step 3 of non league football could later on, but now means they are playing again.

Ultimately, none of the ladies football at tier 3 down is even semi-pro let alone professional, all of them will need full time work alongside playing there os is understandable.

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 18:28 - Jan 5 with 1343 viewsJ2BLUE

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 16:27 - Jan 5 by homer_123

No money in it.

Not true. The top women's leagues are going on. Our ladies team isn't considered elite yet.

Insert your own joke about the men's team.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 18:52 - Jan 5 with 1305 viewsFoD_Blue

When you convert that to cases per 100,000 players, I expect the figure would be plenty enough to justify a lockdown.
40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 19:39 - Jan 5 with 1253 viewsjas0999

It equates to a whopping 1.74% of all those tested! Not exactly reason to have a pause is it? Most of that is due to the idiotic few as well. Partying. And that’s being addressed.

COVID is serious. But to suggest a pause based on that percentage- knowing a couple of stupid breaches is to blame - is a complete overreaction. In my opinion.
40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 20:40 - Jan 5 with 1212 viewsElderGrizzly

40 positive Covid tests in the PL in the last 7 days on 19:39 - Jan 5 by jas0999

It equates to a whopping 1.74% of all those tested! Not exactly reason to have a pause is it? Most of that is due to the idiotic few as well. Partying. And that’s being addressed.

COVID is serious. But to suggest a pause based on that percentage- knowing a couple of stupid breaches is to blame - is a complete overreaction. In my opinion.

I haven’t based on 40, but if we see it continuing to double we may well do
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024