Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... 13:52 - Jan 13 with 693 viewsBloots

....which seems odd, but I'm more interested in the upper age limit and how they came up with it.

What do you reckon?

"Instead of vaccinating elderly people in the first phase, after frontline workers, it will target younger working people aged 18 to 59.

President Joko Widodo, 59, was the first person in the country to receive the vaccine shot on Wednesday."

Gotta love politicians.

(Lambert out)

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 13:56 - Jan 13 with 653 viewsclive_baker

I presume it's with a view to getting them back out to work while elderly folk continue to shield. Seems a bit bonkers to me though.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 13:59 - Jan 13 with 635 viewshomer_123

Re-read your post Bloots - can see you weren't talking about kids etc.

Worth noting that the vaccines (in the UK) have not been approved for the very young I believe.

I think that will come later this year.

Certainly Pfzier and Moderna's trials went as low as 12 and 18 - so I don't think we approved these for use in the very young.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 14:03]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:00 - Jan 13 with 627 viewsBloomBlue

Ahhhh giving the Chinese Sinovac vaccine to the young, interesting
Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:02 - Jan 13 with 611 viewsLesta_Tractor

I actually think that's a sensible approach, have seen a few older people in the uk media suggesting the same too.

I guess if the working age population is vaccinated then we can go back to something like normal and perhaps those that are shielding will be able to venture out (with caution) during the working day.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:06 - Jan 13 with 592 viewsgordon

Not crazy at all.

Vaccinating working age people is the most effective way to reduce the prevalence of the virus. A person aged 30 is going to a) have a higher chance of catching the virus and b) have a much higher reinfection rate than someone who is 70, so effectively by vaccinating a 30 year old, you can potentially prevent multiple old people getting infected and dying.

Added to this is the fact that the death rate in Indonesia is very low - just reached 200 a day with a population 4 times bigger than UK. If in the UK we were at similarly low levels, we would be better advised to take this approach. As it is, because we've already let the virus get to such high prevalence we have no choice but to vaccinate the highest risk first.
Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:09 - Jan 13 with 576 viewsclive_baker

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:06 - Jan 13 by gordon

Not crazy at all.

Vaccinating working age people is the most effective way to reduce the prevalence of the virus. A person aged 30 is going to a) have a higher chance of catching the virus and b) have a much higher reinfection rate than someone who is 70, so effectively by vaccinating a 30 year old, you can potentially prevent multiple old people getting infected and dying.

Added to this is the fact that the death rate in Indonesia is very low - just reached 200 a day with a population 4 times bigger than UK. If in the UK we were at similarly low levels, we would be better advised to take this approach. As it is, because we've already let the virus get to such high prevalence we have no choice but to vaccinate the highest risk first.

I was under the impression the vaccine wouldn't prevent anyone from catching / passing the virus, they would just be likely asymptomatic? If that's the case, then protecting the higher at risk categories surely still makes more sense?

They can still catch it..... on 14:11 - Jan 13 with 559 viewsBloots

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:06 - Jan 13 by gordon

Not crazy at all.

....and pass it on to the elderly.

Who will then die.

So no, we shouldn't take this approach.

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:12 - Jan 13 with 557 viewsDubtractor

Isn't Joko Widodo one of the characters from the cantina scene in star wars?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:17 - Jan 13 with 529 viewsElderGrizzly

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:02 - Jan 13 by Lesta_Tractor

I actually think that's a sensible approach, have seen a few older people in the uk media suggesting the same too.

I guess if the working age population is vaccinated then we can go back to something like normal and perhaps those that are shielding will be able to venture out (with caution) during the working day.

The issue is we don’t know if the vaccine stops transmission yet. So not a lot of point in vaccinating the least affected.

88% of all deaths are from the 75+ range.
That band is actually called.... on 14:27 - Jan 13 with 493 viewsBloots

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:12 - Jan 13 by Dubtractor

Isn't Joko Widodo one of the characters from the cantina scene in star wars?

....Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes.

The style of music they play is "jizz".

Feel free to use this information in whatever way you wish.

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:31 - Jan 13 with 474 viewsclive_baker

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:17 - Jan 13 by ElderGrizzly

The issue is we don’t know if the vaccine stops transmission yet. So not a lot of point in vaccinating the least affected.

88% of all deaths are from the 75+ range.

Innit.

In a hypothetical world where a blanket of 100% protection could be put over those 75+, we would reduce Covid deaths in the UK by c. 90%. Given the vaccine wont stop people catching or spreading the virus, the correct approach is of course to protect as best as possible those most at risk of dying from this thing, before moving on to the rest.

The encouraging thing is that those 75+ represents 5.4m people, so at the current rate of vaccine rollout, the vast majority of those will have been offered a vaccine by next week. There's a further 6.5m between 65 - 75, who will take about another month to get through. There's a couple of week lag between vaccination and it becoming effective, and lag between illness and hospitals become less pressured, but there are reasons to be optimistic that come March we'll be well on the downward curve.

All I can say as someone whose wife is a nurse in the NHS right now is it's absolutely brutal out there, and will likely be for the next month or so. Keep doing the right thing and sticking to the rules folks.

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:33 - Jan 13 with 461 viewshype313

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:31 - Jan 13 by clive_baker

Innit.

In a hypothetical world where a blanket of 100% protection could be put over those 75+, we would reduce Covid deaths in the UK by c. 90%. Given the vaccine wont stop people catching or spreading the virus, the correct approach is of course to protect as best as possible those most at risk of dying from this thing, before moving on to the rest.

The encouraging thing is that those 75+ represents 5.4m people, so at the current rate of vaccine rollout, the vast majority of those will have been offered a vaccine by next week. There's a further 6.5m between 65 - 75, who will take about another month to get through. There's a couple of week lag between vaccination and it becoming effective, and lag between illness and hospitals become less pressured, but there are reasons to be optimistic that come March we'll be well on the downward curve.

All I can say as someone whose wife is a nurse in the NHS right now is it's absolutely brutal out there, and will likely be for the next month or so. Keep doing the right thing and sticking to the rules folks.

Your wife is a superstar, I can't imagine how awful it is having to go into that environment everyday.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 15:01 - Jan 13 with 411 viewsRyorry

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:31 - Jan 13 by clive_baker

Innit.

Good post, and a big thumbs up & thank you to Mrs CB 👍

Still can't get my head round why so many medics, incl docs, nurses & those doing the vaccs, still haven't been able to get a jab (according to multiple threads by genuine people on twitter). Surely it would be good sense to protect those in the medical front line first, ie to include them in the first group gtting th vaccs? Medics having to go off sick with Covid or to self-isolate clearly diminishes the pool of those available to stick needles in arms or care for those already in hosp where staff are desperately stretched.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 15:03 - Jan 13 with 401 viewsbluelagos

What would be better is if he then changed the policy to make it over 60 year olds the next day.

"I have listened to the criticism and agree we should indeed change our priority list"

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 15:04 - Jan 13 with 398 viewsgordon

Indonesia are vaccinating the young first...... on 14:09 - Jan 13 by clive_baker

I was under the impression the vaccine wouldn't prevent anyone from catching / passing the virus, they would just be likely asymptomatic? If that's the case, then protecting the higher at risk categories surely still makes more sense?

Apologies, that's a really important point - it'd be surprising if vaccination didn't reduce transmissibility, but we don't know by how much.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024