Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? 17:28 - Jan 11 with 3425 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not sure if there is any scientific data on this and I'd be grateful if anyone knows the answer to this but can Covid linger in cigarette smoke or vape fumes?

I do a lot of outside running and there is nothing worse than passing a smoker or vaper. You can be several metres away from these people but taking in some smoke is often unavoidable.

The same in supermarket car parks. You can be some distance away from smokers but again it's unavoidable not to take in their fumes.

Does anyone know the answer to my question and would it be fair to say that if you can breathe in covid from somebody who has been smoking then it should be banned during the pandemic?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:35 - Jan 11 with 1786 viewsgordon

Mandatory vaping would actually be a good innovation to help us deal with COVID - basically it's allowing you to see the vapours emitted by people breathing/talking, so letting you know what is a safe distance to keep to avoid ingesting airborne virus in water droplets. Because you understandably find it worth avoiding, it's probably keeping you a tiny bit safer.
A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:36 - Jan 11 with 1776 viewsKnightZ_87

The thing is (re: Covid) it's no different to breathing in the air thats around you anyway. You may be more than 2 meters from someone but smoking or not the chances are your breathing in their breath. Just that you obviously smell it when it's Iced donut and custard.

"The flying dutchman in stoppage time, sends Ipswich soaring to the Premiership!"

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:47 - Jan 11 with 1744 viewsGlasgowBlue

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:36 - Jan 11 by KnightZ_87

The thing is (re: Covid) it's no different to breathing in the air thats around you anyway. You may be more than 2 meters from someone but smoking or not the chances are your breathing in their breath. Just that you obviously smell it when it's Iced donut and custard.

Yeah but smokers tend to breath out their fumes harder than just normal bregthing.

Iron Lion Zion

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:48 - Jan 11 with 1738 viewsgiant_stow

Wash your mouth out!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:50 - Jan 11 with 1707 viewsWD19

I don’t know about the science, but I had to talk to staff today who are socially distancing nicely and masked up in a work environment, but huddle together for warmth with no masks when having a fag outside.
A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:51 - Jan 11 with 1719 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Welcome back Bully

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:52 - Jan 11 with 1709 viewsCoastalblue

Perhaps we could address the joggers who pant over everybody while not observing any social distancing because the time on their stopwatch is more important at the same time?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:55 - Jan 11 with 1685 viewsgiant_stow

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:52 - Jan 11 by Coastalblue

Perhaps we could address the joggers who pant over everybody while not observing any social distancing because the time on their stopwatch is more important at the same time?

Right on!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:59 - Jan 11 with 1677 viewsGlasgowBlue

I quite agree. I make sure that I run on the road when possible and stay far away from people. I also wear a snood over my mouth and nose.

If anyone comes near me I take a deep intake of breath and hold it until they are long gone.

Iron Lion Zion

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 18:04 - Jan 11 with 1650 viewsMattinLondon

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:59 - Jan 11 by GlasgowBlue

I quite agree. I make sure that I run on the road when possible and stay far away from people. I also wear a snood over my mouth and nose.

If anyone comes near me I take a deep intake of breath and hold it until they are long gone.

I take it you don’t run along busy streets otherwise you’ll either pass out from not breathing or get yourself run over.
A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 18:08 - Jan 11 with 1613 viewsbluelagos

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 17:51 - Jan 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Welcome back Bully

He'd have had a fit today when I stopped mid walk for a brew and a banana. #picnics

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 18:16 - Jan 11 with 1567 viewsmonytowbray

Not too fussed about literal Nazi terrorists roaming the streets, so long as they aren't vaping.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 18:34 - Jan 11 with 1533 viewsdickie

Just ban smoking and vaping outside anyway; it will vastly improve all public spaces. Smoking and vaping, although highly addictive is ultimately a lifestyle choice that affects non smokers /vapers unfairly
[Post edited 11 Jan 2021 18:39]
A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 18:35 - Jan 11 with 1529 viewsgiant_stow

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 18:34 - Jan 11 by dickie

Just ban smoking and vaping outside anyway; it will vastly improve all public spaces. Smoking and vaping, although highly addictive is ultimately a lifestyle choice that affects non smokers /vapers unfairly

Outrageous.

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 18:57 - Jan 11 with 1471 viewsHalifaxBlue

The city in Canada I live in banned smoking in public two years ago. Depending on who you talk to, it has either been ineffective or disastrous. Some quick reasons why -

a) Impossible to enforce. Police basically just gave up as it would have constituted 90% of their work

b) Disproportionately affects low income people - very few people own a house here. Without owning property, it effectively bans smoking outright, as you now cannot smoke in public and don't own private property. Even the most fierce anti-smoking advocate must recognize this is an addiction.

c) When police do use it, it is usually under some pretence to profile and harass citizens (homeless, visible minorities, disabled) who already deal with quite enough of this.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 19:03 - Jan 11 with 1446 viewslowhouseblue

this is where trump had only half the answer. instead of injecting disinfectant, insist that people vape it. this way you fill the streets with clouds of disinfectant and kill the virus.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 19:16 - Jan 11 with 1396 viewsDebsyAngel

Agree 100%. My husband jogs occasionally and always goes round people well away as possible. The ones I see on my walks just come up behind me and I panic. I cannot hold my breath too well. See also cyclists who ride on paths when they have an entire cycle lane to use.
A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 19:19 - Jan 11 with 1390 viewsMattinLondon

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 18:57 - Jan 11 by HalifaxBlue

The city in Canada I live in banned smoking in public two years ago. Depending on who you talk to, it has either been ineffective or disastrous. Some quick reasons why -

a) Impossible to enforce. Police basically just gave up as it would have constituted 90% of their work

b) Disproportionately affects low income people - very few people own a house here. Without owning property, it effectively bans smoking outright, as you now cannot smoke in public and don't own private property. Even the most fierce anti-smoking advocate must recognize this is an addiction.

c) When police do use it, it is usually under some pretence to profile and harass citizens (homeless, visible minorities, disabled) who already deal with quite enough of this.

Doesn’t Canada ban quite a lot of things?

I’ve only been there once - magnificent landscape, extremely friendly locals and great food - but a tad dull.
A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 19:28 - Jan 11 with 1373 viewscatch74

Got to be said, whether I smoked (I never have) or not, the inside ban saved me.
I had started to struggle going upstairs. At the Hogshead I ran, there’d be 6 massive ashtrays full on the bar & the floor would be covered, you could barely see it. The pub had an office above it and my flat was the floor above that, I remember going back to my mums and unpacking clean clothes and realising that they reaked of smoke - from two floors down!
(Maybe another insight into why hospitality has been targeted with regards to Covid, although I feel my food based pub now is pretty safe - maybe could have separated night time, wet led pubs and focused on supporting them financially.
Anyway - seems mad now looking back - think the next step will be outdoor public spaces - for me not sure there’s such a danger there (see Covid transmissions.)

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 20:20 - Jan 11 with 1300 viewsmonytowbray

Only if we can ban meat and alcohol too. As that affects me, as a non meat eater and non-drinker, unfairly.

TWTD never forgets…

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 21:27 - Jan 11 with 1240 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 21:29 - Jan 11 with 1238 viewsmonytowbray

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 21:27 - Jan 11 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Like meat and alcohol then.

TWTD never forgets…

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 21:42 - Jan 11 with 1216 viewsGeoffSentence

I haven't heard much about it recently, but earlier in the pandemic there was some evidence that smokers were affected considerably less by covid than normal people. This was doubly surprising given that covid is primarily respiratory and smokers usually suffer from those type of afflictions worse than normal people. No-one knew why, nicotine was suggested as a possible reason for this. I must do a bit of googling to see what became of the research into the phenominum.

If it holds up, the probably no, banning smoking outside wouldn't help.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 21:51 - Jan 11 with 1193 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 21:29 - Jan 11 by monytowbray

Like meat and alcohol then.

Ok I'll bite - how is someone eating meat or drinking alcohol near you affecting your health?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 22:03 - Jan 11 with 1176 viewsmonytowbray

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 21:51 - Jan 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

Ok I'll bite - how is someone eating meat or drinking alcohol near you affecting your health?

Well, I am kinda shut in right now from a lockdown caused by the animal agriculture industry.

And I’ve had far bigger problems from drunk people out and about than I ever had a smoker or vaper. No one’s ever tried to punch me because they’ve vaped too much, or carried out sexual assault because they’d had too many cigarettes.

Not to mention, as an ex alcohol abuser it’s not too fun having it waved in my face all the time.

You know no one bites because they know I’m right ;)

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024