Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? 17:28 - Jan 11 with 3424 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not sure if there is any scientific data on this and I'd be grateful if anyone knows the answer to this but can Covid linger in cigarette smoke or vape fumes?

I do a lot of outside running and there is nothing worse than passing a smoker or vaper. You can be several metres away from these people but taking in some smoke is often unavoidable.

The same in supermarket car parks. You can be some distance away from smokers but again it's unavoidable not to take in their fumes.

Does anyone know the answer to my question and would it be fair to say that if you can breathe in covid from somebody who has been smoking then it should be banned during the pandemic?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 22:10 - Jan 11 with 1597 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 22:03 - Jan 11 by monytowbray

Well, I am kinda shut in right now from a lockdown caused by the animal agriculture industry.

And I’ve had far bigger problems from drunk people out and about than I ever had a smoker or vaper. No one’s ever tried to punch me because they’ve vaped too much, or carried out sexual assault because they’d had too many cigarettes.

Not to mention, as an ex alcohol abuser it’s not too fun having it waved in my face all the time.

You know no one bites because they know I’m right ;)

I think you've stretched things somewhat there. We don't know 100% where Covid originated, but if I eat a ham sandwich near you it's not going to affect you at all.

I don't think I've ever been punched by a drunk person, maybe the pubs you were hanging out in were dodgier.

The immediate effects of someone smoking or vaping near you are much more abundantly clear than eating meat or drinking alcohol.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 22:21 - Jan 11 with 1573 viewscatch74

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 22:03 - Jan 11 by monytowbray

Well, I am kinda shut in right now from a lockdown caused by the animal agriculture industry.

And I’ve had far bigger problems from drunk people out and about than I ever had a smoker or vaper. No one’s ever tried to punch me because they’ve vaped too much, or carried out sexual assault because they’d had too many cigarettes.

Not to mention, as an ex alcohol abuser it’s not too fun having it waved in my face all the time.

You know no one bites because they know I’m right ;)

As a pub owner it’s very hard to argue with any of that.
I think culturally we’ve never moved to a more relaxed style of drinking that the changing of licensing laws were supposed to achieve. I absolutely loved going on holiday to Kefalonia and eating out in Lixouri (I think) at the weekends.
It had a really large town square surrounded by bars and restaurants. They were all full of tourists and residents - of all ages, relaxed, mainly sensible drinking with meals, kids all playing in square. Literally no nasty nasty undercurrent, just a happy buzz.
I’ve moved from high street to my own foody pub and it’s just a different job. I would say there’s evidence that drinking is actually beneficial - but I completely understand in your case (and may others) this is just not true.
https://time.com/5166514/moderate-drinking-live-longer-study/

With regards to meat - I’d also argue that pasture fed beef is incredibly beneficial - and if it’s given the label is actually carbon negative - definitely the way forward, if you want to eat meat.
https://www.fieldandflower.co.uk/blog/top5-benefits-of-grass-fed-beef

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 22:27 - Jan 11 with 1546 viewsmonytowbray

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 22:10 - Jan 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

I think you've stretched things somewhat there. We don't know 100% where Covid originated, but if I eat a ham sandwich near you it's not going to affect you at all.

I don't think I've ever been punched by a drunk person, maybe the pubs you were hanging out in were dodgier.

The immediate effects of someone smoking or vaping near you are much more abundantly clear than eating meat or drinking alcohol.

You eating a Ham sandwich has a negative impact on the planet I live on and contributes to far more pollution to my lungs than a bit of second hand eliquid. We are also fairly certain scientifically meat reduction is needed to prevent more pandemics. Almost every new illness risk (COVID included) is from animals and humans mixing in crowded and/or cross contaminated environments.

https://www.dw.com/en/after-coronavirus-our-relationship-with-meat-and-the-next-

I don’t think you can write that off by simply saying “but we don’t know that for sure”, many a scientist and disease expert would say otherwise.

I don’t have to be in a pub to be assaulted by a drunk. You could argue “well, hard luck” about happening to walk past someone smoking too.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2021 22:36]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 22:29 - Jan 11 with 1539 viewsmonytowbray

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 22:21 - Jan 11 by catch74

As a pub owner it’s very hard to argue with any of that.
I think culturally we’ve never moved to a more relaxed style of drinking that the changing of licensing laws were supposed to achieve. I absolutely loved going on holiday to Kefalonia and eating out in Lixouri (I think) at the weekends.
It had a really large town square surrounded by bars and restaurants. They were all full of tourists and residents - of all ages, relaxed, mainly sensible drinking with meals, kids all playing in square. Literally no nasty nasty undercurrent, just a happy buzz.
I’ve moved from high street to my own foody pub and it’s just a different job. I would say there’s evidence that drinking is actually beneficial - but I completely understand in your case (and may others) this is just not true.
https://time.com/5166514/moderate-drinking-live-longer-study/

With regards to meat - I’d also argue that pasture fed beef is incredibly beneficial - and if it’s given the label is actually carbon negative - definitely the way forward, if you want to eat meat.
https://www.fieldandflower.co.uk/blog/top5-benefits-of-grass-fed-beef

One day you’ll be able to turn your pub into a smoking cafe if the laws finally catch up with the facts about cannabis.

Then I’ll come hang out :)

TWTD never forgets…

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 23:48 - Jan 11 with 1496 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 22:27 - Jan 11 by monytowbray

You eating a Ham sandwich has a negative impact on the planet I live on and contributes to far more pollution to my lungs than a bit of second hand eliquid. We are also fairly certain scientifically meat reduction is needed to prevent more pandemics. Almost every new illness risk (COVID included) is from animals and humans mixing in crowded and/or cross contaminated environments.

https://www.dw.com/en/after-coronavirus-our-relationship-with-meat-and-the-next-

I don’t think you can write that off by simply saying “but we don’t know that for sure”, many a scientist and disease expert would say otherwise.

I don’t have to be in a pub to be assaulted by a drunk. You could argue “well, hard luck” about happening to walk past someone smoking too.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2021 22:36]

"You eating a Ham sandwich has a negative impact on the planet I live on and contributes to far more pollution to my lungs than a bit of second hand eliquid."

One ham sandwich?

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 23:49 - Jan 11 with 1493 viewsCoastalblue

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 23:48 - Jan 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

"You eating a Ham sandwich has a negative impact on the planet I live on and contributes to far more pollution to my lungs than a bit of second hand eliquid."

One ham sandwich?

Never stops at one though does it?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 00:39 - Jan 12 with 1475 viewsmonytowbray

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 23:48 - Jan 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

One ham sandwich?

One puff of second hand smoke?

It’s all relative. My point was mostly that the whole idea is f*cking stupid.

TWTD never forgets…

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 01:43 - Jan 12 with 1460 viewsBryanPlug

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 21:29 - Jan 11 by monytowbray

Like meat and alcohol then.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Login to get fewer ads

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 01:50 - Jan 12 with 1451 viewsHalifaxBlue

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 19:19 - Jan 11 by MattinLondon

Doesn’t Canada ban quite a lot of things?

I’ve only been there once - magnificent landscape, extremely friendly locals and great food - but a tad dull.

As far as I am aware, Halifax is the only city that has attempted this in Canada. I think any who may have been considering it would have decided otherwise after seeing us.

Parts of Canada have had prohibition upwards of 100 years ago, but I can't think of much we ban that isn't in the UK. Although our drinking age is higher and far, far more strictly enforced.

Plus we have legal marijuana, so I'm not sure we ban much.

Where were you in Canada? It's so huge. Some spots would be beautiful and dull, others would be total s**tholes but a lot of fun. You're spot on about friendly locals tho, with some notable exceptions ;)

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 08:53 - Jan 12 with 1369 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 00:39 - Jan 12 by monytowbray

One puff of second hand smoke?

It’s all relative. My point was mostly that the whole idea is f*cking stupid.

Being next to someone smoking can make you cough and choke, and be very unpleasant, particularly if you have a breathing disorder. Being next to someone eating a ham sandwich isn't going to have any effect on you whatsoever. So on that basis I disagree that the idea is stupid.

It seems to me you're more tolerant of vaping because it's something you personally do/have done*, which isn't a good enough basis for whether something should be banned or not. I also don't think you'd be calling for alcohol to be banned a few weeks ago/whenever it was when you were still doing it yourself*.

*Congrats, BTW, if you've managed to give both these up. I had such a good year in my year off booze and after a few lapses into my bad old ways I'm giving up for good now as well. I think I've finally realised it needs to be all or nothing.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 9:06]

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 08:56 - Jan 12 with 1362 viewsHerbivore

A friend of mine has a serious lung condition and can't really be around smoking or vaping. It's really tough for him in the summer in pub gardens with people being able to smoke wherever they like, it means he can't really enjoy sitting outside. I do think there's a case for limiting where people can smoke outdoors in public, smoke and vapour may disperse more quickly outdoors but it's far from instant.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 12:04 - Jan 13 with 1274 viewsmonytowbray

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 08:53 - Jan 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Being next to someone smoking can make you cough and choke, and be very unpleasant, particularly if you have a breathing disorder. Being next to someone eating a ham sandwich isn't going to have any effect on you whatsoever. So on that basis I disagree that the idea is stupid.

It seems to me you're more tolerant of vaping because it's something you personally do/have done*, which isn't a good enough basis for whether something should be banned or not. I also don't think you'd be calling for alcohol to be banned a few weeks ago/whenever it was when you were still doing it yourself*.

*Congrats, BTW, if you've managed to give both these up. I had such a good year in my year off booze and after a few lapses into my bad old ways I'm giving up for good now as well. I think I've finally realised it needs to be all or nothing.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 9:06]

Meh.

My case is clear. See you all in the next lockdown.

TWTD never forgets…

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 12:54 - Jan 13 with 1244 viewsDinDjarin

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 21:42 - Jan 11 by GeoffSentence

I haven't heard much about it recently, but earlier in the pandemic there was some evidence that smokers were affected considerably less by covid than normal people. This was doubly surprising given that covid is primarily respiratory and smokers usually suffer from those type of afflictions worse than normal people. No-one knew why, nicotine was suggested as a possible reason for this. I must do a bit of googling to see what became of the research into the phenominum.

If it holds up, the probably no, banning smoking outside wouldn't help.

If you need nicotine eat some tomatoes. Or spuds.
A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 13:05 - Jan 13 with 1241 viewsDinDjarin

Not sure if ecig vapour can carry a virus but I do know that that the exhaled vape is completely harmless unlike cigarette smoke.

In fact there nothing harmful in eliquid. People think nicotine is the bad guy here but it is not harmful at all in the doses in eliquid.
A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 15:19 - Jan 13 with 1219 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 12:04 - Jan 13 by monytowbray

Meh.

My case is clear. See you all in the next lockdown.

I agree with everything she says there. Don't know what it's got to do with me eating a ham sandwich near you though Callis! You seem to be using the TWTD argument tactic of exaggerating a million degrees to make your point, and I know you're better than that!

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 15:20 - Jan 13 with 1217 viewsAce_High1

Reminds me of this.....

Its my human right to vape man.
A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 15:30 - Jan 13 with 1207 viewsRyorry

A case for banning outside smoking and vaping? on 15:19 - Jan 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

I agree with everything she says there. Don't know what it's got to do with me eating a ham sandwich near you though Callis! You seem to be using the TWTD argument tactic of exaggerating a million degrees to make your point, and I know you're better than that!

"a million degrees".

No exaggeration at all there 😂

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024