Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Daniel Sloss nailing it... 15:29 - Mar 11 with 6488 viewsmonytowbray

This doing the rounds today for all the obvious reasons.

Worth remembering individuals not being part of the problem is not really doing enough to fix the problem either.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 15:35]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 15:31 - Mar 11 with 2778 viewsJ2BLUE

What are we supposed to do? Genuinely asking.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 15:34 - Mar 11 with 2760 viewsmonytowbray

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 15:31 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

Listening and paying attention is always a good start.

Someone yesterday posted a good link on how to not give off accidental vibes when out and about.

Honestly, this topic is something I am overly embarrassed about because up until 4 years ago I was quite dismissive of it myself.

But f**k me, if the world worked discrimination based on actual levels/numbers of social issues caused men would probably top it.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 15:46 - Mar 11 with 2656 viewsSteve_M

I saw that earlier. That bit at the end should make everyone think, groups of blokes easily descend into some level of bantz. Most of us would like to think it's unthreatening but I'm quite sure it isn't all the time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 15:57 - Mar 11 with 2589 viewshomer_123

Well, I guess the most obvious thing is to call out behaviour or language that isn't on?

The easy path is to do nothing. I suspect we all take that path or at least very few haven't, sadly.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:00 - Mar 11 with 2580 viewsHalf_Idiot

Challenge anyone you see behaving inappropriately or saying inappropriate things, whether they are friends, family or complete strangers. Whether it's just "bants" or "flirting" a zero tolerance approach needs to be taken.
Chop your cock off. (n/t) on 16:01 - Mar 11 with 2566 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:02 - Mar 11 with 2550 viewshomer_123

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:00 - Mar 11 by Half_Idiot

Challenge anyone you see behaving inappropriately or saying inappropriate things, whether they are friends, family or complete strangers. Whether it's just "bants" or "flirting" a zero tolerance approach needs to be taken.

It's extremely easy to say but inherently more difficult to do - which is why the majority won't do it.

The easy option is not to address it.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:03 - Mar 11 with 2545 viewsJ2BLUE

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:00 - Mar 11 by Half_Idiot

I was more talking things which are going beyond. Challenging inappropriate stuff is just normal. I'm not claiming i'm a saint but the vast majority of the time that's something i'd do anyway.

I know it's not about me, and it's about the collective. Just making a point.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:05 - Mar 11 with 2532 viewshomer_123

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:03 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

I was more talking things which are going beyond. Challenging inappropriate stuff is just normal. I'm not claiming i'm a saint but the vast majority of the time that's something i'd do anyway.

I know it's not about me, and it's about the collective. Just making a point.

I suspect, J2, that puts you in the minority though. Which is very much the first hurdle to get over.

Chop your cock off. (n/t) on 16:07 - Mar 11 with 2502 viewsJ2BLUE

Chop your cock off. (n/t) on 16:01 - Mar 11 by Bloots

Can't I sell it?

Barely used, one responsible owner, etc.

Truly impaired.

Chop your cock off. (n/t) on 16:10 - Mar 11 with 2462 viewsSpruceMoose

Chop your cock off. (n/t) on 16:07 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

Can't I sell it?

Barely used, one responsible owner, etc.

How big is it?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:12 - Mar 11 with 2459 viewsbluelagos

I think the first thing is challenging sexism/misogyny. We hear it, we hear it a lot, but how often does it get challenged? By you? By me? By any of us?

If a racist comment is made on here, people quite rightly call it out, people back up those calling it out and the racist poster knows damn well it is not welcome here. Pretty much 100% of the time.

But if a sexist post is made? We largely do and say sfa. Is that good enough? Is it good enough for young impressionable posters to feel misogynistic views/attitudes are ok? Cos I am guessing that rapists etc. aren't exactly all that up on women's rights.

So maybe it's as simple as that to start with, recognising that those people who are violent towards women are almost certainly sexist pricks. Sexist pricks who feel emboldened and empowered by being a sexist prick and not being called out for it...
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 16:13]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:12 - Mar 11 with 2451 viewsJ2BLUE

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:05 - Mar 11 by homer_123

I suspect, J2, that puts you in the minority though. Which is very much the first hurdle to get over.

Again not trying to come across as a saint but it's like the "i'm a feminist" thing. I was just raised to treat people the same. I don't need to think that I need to be a feminist. It's just a natural thing.

I suppose that's why it tends to mildly irritate me when I see things like not being part of the problem isn't enough. What else can you do? You can be respectful and hold others to account.

Truly impaired.

Chop your cock off. (n/t) on 16:13 - Mar 11 with 2440 viewsJ2BLUE

Chop your cock off. (n/t) on 16:10 - Mar 11 by SpruceMoose

How big is it?

Microscope included.

Truly impaired.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:16 - Mar 11 with 2423 viewsJ2BLUE

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:12 - Mar 11 by bluelagos

I think the first thing is challenging sexism/misogyny. We hear it, we hear it a lot, but how often does it get challenged? By you? By me? By any of us?

If a racist comment is made on here, people quite rightly call it out, people back up those calling it out and the racist poster knows damn well it is not welcome here. Pretty much 100% of the time.

But if a sexist post is made? We largely do and say sfa. Is that good enough? Is it good enough for young impressionable posters to feel misogynistic views/attitudes are ok? Cos I am guessing that rapists etc. aren't exactly all that up on women's rights.

So maybe it's as simple as that to start with, recognising that those people who are violent towards women are almost certainly sexist pricks. Sexist pricks who feel emboldened and empowered by being a sexist prick and not being called out for it...

I'm not defending anyone, just to be clear.

I think on here sexist posts are often let go because of the poster and the fact we know that it's a joke. I can think of a few on here i'd suggest are racist. Can't think of anyone i'd say is sexist though..

Truly impaired.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:16 - Mar 11 with 2417 viewsbluelagos

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:12 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

Again not trying to come across as a saint but it's like the "i'm a feminist" thing. I was just raised to treat people the same. I don't need to think that I need to be a feminist. It's just a natural thing.

I suppose that's why it tends to mildly irritate me when I see things like not being part of the problem isn't enough. What else can you do? You can be respectful and hold others to account.

I am not sure we have the same opinion of what being a feminist means.

Do you believe women should have the exact same rights are men? If so, like me, you are a feminist.

If not, you're a sexist prick. It really is that simple imho.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:17 - Mar 11 with 2398 viewsJ2BLUE

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:16 - Mar 11 by bluelagos

I am not sure we have the same opinion of what being a feminist means.

Do you believe women should have the exact same rights are men? If so, like me, you are a feminist.

If not, you're a sexist prick. It really is that simple imho.

Why do I need a label for a value I was brought up with? Do you need to consciously remind yourself that you're a feminist and believe everyone is equal? I find it quite odd.

Truly impaired.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:20 - Mar 11 with 2374 viewshomer_123

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:12 - Mar 11 by bluelagos

Would everyone do the same though, if it were not from behind a keyboard?

Would the same people call it out if it were face-to-face?

We would all like to say yes, but the reality is......most wouldn't and don't.....which is the main reason why it is so rife.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 16:29]

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:23 - Mar 11 with 2359 viewsbluelagos

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:16 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

I'm not defending anyone, just to be clear.

I think on here sexist posts are often let go because of the poster and the fact we know that it's a joke. I can think of a few on here i'd suggest are racist. Can't think of anyone i'd say is sexist though..

Then you having been paying attention.

Leave aside the countless threads on "Would you shag x" - how about one discussing the size of the nipples of a British female tennis star? Maybe you missed that particular thread.

They are regular threads on here that objectify women and hey, maybe TWTD female posters are cool with a load of middle aged men going full on cyber leching, but I'd argue they probably aren't.

Harmless fun? Maybe. But it does rather send the message that women are there for "our pleasure" doesn't it?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:26 - Mar 11 with 2317 viewsEwan_Oozami

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:17 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

Why do I need a label for a value I was brought up with? Do you need to consciously remind yourself that you're a feminist and believe everyone is equal? I find it quite odd.

“Once you stop learning, you start dying”

Albert Einstein.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:30 - Mar 11 with 2290 viewsJ2BLUE

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:23 - Mar 11 by bluelagos

Then you having been paying attention.

Leave aside the countless threads on "Would you shag x" - how about one discussing the size of the nipples of a British female tennis star? Maybe you missed that particular thread.

They are regular threads on here that objectify women and hey, maybe TWTD female posters are cool with a load of middle aged men going full on cyber leching, but I'd argue they probably aren't.

Harmless fun? Maybe. But it does rather send the message that women are there for "our pleasure" doesn't it?

"Would you shag x"

Is that the sort of thing we are talking about? This is hardly exclusively on men is it? If this is truly unacceptable then i'll hold my hands up and say i've learnt something. To me if that was happening in a pub about someone there then it's inappropriate. If it's happening online tagging someone on Twitter it's inappropriate. On a forum I admit i'd say that was bantz. So genuinely if that is something betting flagged up then like I say, i've learnt something.

Yes I did miss the tennis thread as far as I can remember. That would have been inappropriate, I agree.

What female poster gets that treatment? Again, educate me if i'm missing something.

Truly impaired.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:30 - Mar 11 with 2284 viewsbluelagos

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:20 - Mar 11 by homer_123

Would everyone do the same though, if it were not from behind a keyboard?

Would the same people call it out if it were face-to-face?

We would all like to say yes, but the reality is......most wouldn't and don't.....which is the main reason why it is so rife.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 16:29]

And that lack of speaking out needs challenging. What do they say, "if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem."

35 odd years ago, I recall a racist fan at Portman Rd shouting racist filth week in week out near where I stood in the North. He went unchallenged by me and everyone else stood near where we would stand.

He wouldn't go unchallenged today, am 100% sure.

So attitudes change over time, and it is not easy to challenge those who still hold old attitudes.

But if you are decent man, then it really is time to speak up. Cos who else is going to do it?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:34 - Mar 11 with 2267 viewsbluelagos

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:17 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

Do I need a label? Not particularly.

But you seemed to imply being called a "feminist" is a bad thing? I have no issues with anyone (male or female) being proud to be a feminist. Why would I?

Like I say, it is the radical idea that women and men are equal. No more, no less.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:35 - Mar 11 with 2256 viewshomer_123

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:30 - Mar 11 by bluelagos

And that lack of speaking out needs challenging. What do they say, "if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem."

35 odd years ago, I recall a racist fan at Portman Rd shouting racist filth week in week out near where I stood in the North. He went unchallenged by me and everyone else stood near where we would stand.

He wouldn't go unchallenged today, am 100% sure.

So attitudes change over time, and it is not easy to challenge those who still hold old attitudes.

But if you are decent man, then it really is time to speak up. Cos who else is going to do it?

Oh I'm as guilty as the next, easy option is to not challenge.

As you rightly say, times need to change....us men need to grow some!

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:36 - Mar 11 with 2244 viewshomer_123

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:26 - Mar 11 by Ewan_Oozami

“Once you stop learning, you start dying”

Albert Einstein.

What would he think of the UK education system?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024