Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Daniel Sloss nailing it... 15:29 - Mar 11 with 6555 viewsmonytowbray

This doing the rounds today for all the obvious reasons.

Worth remembering individuals not being part of the problem is not really doing enough to fix the problem either.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 15:35]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:37 - Mar 11 with 2453 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 15:31 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

What are we supposed to do? Genuinely asking.

Call people out on their behaviour whenever you see it, even if that's uncomfortable, perhaps especially if it's uncomfortable. Don't let people off the hook by saying that the perpetrators of things like this are just aberrant personalities, when they are just at the extreme end of a continuum of violence against women.

I've also seen a few practical tips on making women feel safer, like if you are walking behind a woman at night cross to the other side of the road. Not going to solve the issue of rape and murder but still helpful.

The sad thing is how long this s**t has been going on for. I listened to a podcast the other day about the Whitechapel murders (Jack the Ripper), the response at the time was pretty similar to today. Victim blaming from many and local women trying to reclaim the streets in protest.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:43 - Mar 11 with 2433 viewsJ2BLUE

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:34 - Mar 11 by bluelagos

Do I need a label? Not particularly.

But you seemed to imply being called a "feminist" is a bad thing? I have no issues with anyone (male or female) being proud to be a feminist. Why would I?

Like I say, it is the radical idea that women and men are equal. No more, no less.

I'm not suggesting it's a bad thing. I am questioning why people go round feeling the need to say they are a feminist. It's never occurred to me that i'm a feminist because it was just natural.

One thing I will say is that i've had quite a sheltered life. I grew up in a household that didn't discriminate. I went to a school where everyone was treated equally, I genuinely lost contact with the vast majority of my high school mates once we left Sixth Form purely because of the way they acted on nights out (I stopped going) etc etc. You've lived around the world and no doubt have vastly more world experience than I do. I wanted to make this point just to justify my own ignorance really. A lot of the time i'm genuinely unaware of wider problems in society having never seen them first hand.

It's like BLM and white privilege. I used to mock white privilege. In all honesty I never really 'got it' 100% until George Floyd.

So, maybe, I just need to shut up and listen a bit more .
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 16:47]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:50 - Mar 11 with 2418 viewsbluelagos

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:43 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

I'm not suggesting it's a bad thing. I am questioning why people go round feeling the need to say they are a feminist. It's never occurred to me that i'm a feminist because it was just natural.

One thing I will say is that i've had quite a sheltered life. I grew up in a household that didn't discriminate. I went to a school where everyone was treated equally, I genuinely lost contact with the vast majority of my high school mates once we left Sixth Form purely because of the way they acted on nights out (I stopped going) etc etc. You've lived around the world and no doubt have vastly more world experience than I do. I wanted to make this point just to justify my own ignorance really. A lot of the time i'm genuinely unaware of wider problems in society having never seen them first hand.

It's like BLM and white privilege. I used to mock white privilege. In all honesty I never really 'got it' 100% until George Floyd.

So, maybe, I just need to shut up and listen a bit more .
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 16:47]

J2.

I have no problem at all with you asking the question. And challenging any answers if you think they are not fair. None at all.

My problem is with those don't even recognise there is a problem. Who hide behind men being more likely to get mugged as if that somehow counters the issue of women being the target of sexual violence.

And I have a massive issue with justice system that convicts just 3% of rapists. Just 3% ffs of one of the most vile inhumane crimes imaginable get successfully prosecuted. That is an abject failure and that is barely being talked about.

Am not sure how we improve that figure (there are people in the justice system who will have opinions) but we have to be looking at it and asking why is it so low?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:51 - Mar 11 with 2413 viewsJ2BLUE

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:50 - Mar 11 by bluelagos

J2.

I have no problem at all with you asking the question. And challenging any answers if you think they are not fair. None at all.

My problem is with those don't even recognise there is a problem. Who hide behind men being more likely to get mugged as if that somehow counters the issue of women being the target of sexual violence.

And I have a massive issue with justice system that convicts just 3% of rapists. Just 3% ffs of one of the most vile inhumane crimes imaginable get successfully prosecuted. That is an abject failure and that is barely being talked about.

Am not sure how we improve that figure (there are people in the justice system who will have opinions) but we have to be looking at it and asking why is it so low?

Completely agree.

Truly impaired.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:53 - Mar 11 with 2406 viewsbluelagos

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:51 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

Completely agree.

You're a good egg. We all know that.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:54 - Mar 11 with 2394 views26_Paz

Just treat everyone with respect.

The Paz Man

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:57 - Mar 11 with 2382 viewsJ2BLUE

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:53 - Mar 11 by bluelagos

Truly impaired.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:59 - Mar 11 with 2388 viewsBlueBadger

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:54 - Mar 11 by 26_Paz

Stick to neutral terms, like 'picanniny', 'letterbox' and 'bum boy', when addressing people.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 17:07]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:06 - Mar 11 with 2354 viewsjeera

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:37 - Mar 11 by Charlie_pl_baxter

Call people out on their behaviour whenever you see it, even if that's uncomfortable, perhaps especially if it's uncomfortable. Don't let people off the hook by saying that the perpetrators of things like this are just aberrant personalities, when they are just at the extreme end of a continuum of violence against women.

I've also seen a few practical tips on making women feel safer, like if you are walking behind a woman at night cross to the other side of the road. Not going to solve the issue of rape and murder but still helpful.

The sad thing is how long this s**t has been going on for. I listened to a podcast the other day about the Whitechapel murders (Jack the Ripper), the response at the time was pretty similar to today. Victim blaming from many and local women trying to reclaim the streets in protest.

"I've also seen a few practical tips on making women feel safer, like if you are walking behind a woman at night cross to the other side of the road."

I find it incredible that anyone would need to be told this.

It's something I have always done and become very self-conscious if I'm walking behind a woman. I'll cross the road or just drop back if that's not possible. If passing them then give a wide berth.

Same as going into a room with a female I don't know. Just stand the far side of the room and allow them the immediate access to the door. It shouldn't be complicated really.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:08 - Mar 11 with 2341 viewsfactual_blue

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:53 - Mar 11 by bluelagos

Just not good with eggs.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:08 - Mar 11 with 2344 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:59 - Mar 11 by BlueBadger

Stick to neutral terms, like 'picanniny', 'letterbox' and 'bum boy', when addressing people.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 17:07]

Nearly gave you a down arrow for this until I recognised who said these two terms (and is still somehow in a job)

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:08 - Mar 11 with 2340 viewslowhouseblue

J2.

there are probably two sets of issues. one to do with police, cps and court procedures which can certainly be changed and greatly improved. but the other is to do with the distinctive evidential character of many such cases. that raises a really fundamental challenge if we're to preserve innocent until proven guilty and beyond reasonable doubt.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:10 - Mar 11 with 2336 viewsjeera

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 15:31 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

What are we supposed to do? Genuinely asking.

Pick your battles apparently.

One Friday night, in the local, 3 drunk blokes were making obscene comments about a pretty newsreader on the TV. So I thought it would be clever to say "Oh yeah, I'm sure she'd be thrilled to know you herberts are drooling over her".

Then I had to leave shortly after.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:12 - Mar 11 with 2320 viewsSpruceMoose

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:54 - Mar 11 by 26_Paz

Hypocrite.

You were upvoting posts calling women bitches the other day.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 17:16]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:16 - Mar 11 with 2291 viewsborge

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 16:17 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

Why do I need a label for a value I was brought up with? Do you need to consciously remind yourself that you're a feminist and believe everyone is equal? I find it quite odd.

I think this is a really good question and fully understand where you are coming from. I always feel that by labelling things and/or people we are only adding to and accentuating differences. At times it feels counter-productive. Any individual should treat any other individual with respect regardless of gender, race etc - for me that's a given.

I also struggle with the word 'equality' - I try very hard to treat everyone the same but clearly everyone isn't. We all have differences whether that is gender, race, attitudes or personality. At times it feels that we are told to treat everyone equally whilst simultaneously being told to respect the very differences that mean 'equality' isn't always possible (or even positive/desirable). I sometimes find it hard to understand the balance.

I appreciate I am sticking my head above the parapet a bit and the above may well stem from me being a middle-aged white man and having not experience any real degree of discrimination, but as with J2, I am open to being educated.
Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:20 - Mar 11 with 2276 viewsCBBlue

J2.

Indeed there is a massive problem with the justice system when a man on trial for rape can remain silent whereas the woman is cross examined about her choice of underwear, alcohol intake, previous sexual partners etc. I'd imagine that puts off a lot of women from reporting rape in the first place so that 3% you mention is not even 3% of all rapists!

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:23 - Mar 11 with 2266 viewsBlueBadger

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:08 - Mar 11 by Charlie_pl_baxter

Nearly gave you a down arrow for this until I recognised who said these two terms (and is still somehow in a job)

...and also who in this thread ran up a em-pager defending the usage of said terms.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:30 - Mar 11 with 2231 viewsbluelagos

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:20 - Mar 11 by CBBlue

Indeed there is a massive problem with the justice system when a man on trial for rape can remain silent whereas the woman is cross examined about her choice of underwear, alcohol intake, previous sexual partners etc. I'd imagine that puts off a lot of women from reporting rape in the first place so that 3% you mention is not even 3% of all rapists!

The way a woman's sexual history is put out there by defense lawyers is clearly going to deter some women coming forward. The NZ murder trial recently where a victim's sexual habits were publicly dissected by legal teams left a foul taste in the mouth.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:37 - Mar 11 with 2209 viewslowhouseblue

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:30 - Mar 11 by bluelagos

The way a woman's sexual history is put out there by defense lawyers is clearly going to deter some women coming forward. The NZ murder trial recently where a victim's sexual habits were publicly dissected by legal teams left a foul taste in the mouth.

i agree, and the court rules need to place limits on that. but the nature of the crime is that you often don't have uncontested evidence and instead it is a question of testing the veracity of two competing versions of events. you can't deny a defendant a defence. a higher success rate in prosecutions should certainly be achievable, but in many instances the very the nature of the evidence makes these inherently difficult cases.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:39 - Mar 11 with 2194 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:06 - Mar 11 by jeera

"I've also seen a few practical tips on making women feel safer, like if you are walking behind a woman at night cross to the other side of the road."

I find it incredible that anyone would need to be told this.

It's something I have always done and become very self-conscious if I'm walking behind a woman. I'll cross the road or just drop back if that's not possible. If passing them then give a wide berth.

Same as going into a room with a female I don't know. Just stand the far side of the room and allow them the immediate access to the door. It shouldn't be complicated really.

Fair comment.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:42 - Mar 11 with 2186 viewsbluelagos

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:37 - Mar 11 by lowhouseblue

i agree, and the court rules need to place limits on that. but the nature of the crime is that you often don't have uncontested evidence and instead it is a question of testing the veracity of two competing versions of events. you can't deny a defendant a defence. a higher success rate in prosecutions should certainly be achievable, but in many instances the very the nature of the evidence makes these inherently difficult cases.

I understand that these cases often come down to a "He said - she said" making prosecutions difficult.

But here's a thought. Just as a court will now discuss the accuser (rape victim's) sexual history - how about if the defense goes down that route then the alleged rapist should also have his sexual history put out there?

Why should she be effectively put on trial when he is the one being charged?

Am no expert on the ins/outs but there has to be ways to raise the current conviction rates far closer to other serious crimes.

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:48 - Mar 11 with 2179 viewsPendejo

Strangely enough it was misogynistic behaviour in the part of a pair of Canadians in Bogota that lead to me meeting my wife.

They were behaving with ungentlemanly conduct and I stepped in telling them I thought their behaviour was unbecoming of a gentleman and asked her to join me for a drink, taking the opportunity to practice my Spanish. Now been together over 20 years and have 2 children together.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 18:00 - Mar 11 with 2153 views26_Paz

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:12 - Mar 11 by SpruceMoose

Hypocrite.

You were upvoting posts calling women bitches the other day.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 17:16]

A specific woman, not women in general.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 18:01]

The Paz Man

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 18:03 - Mar 11 with 2145 viewsSpruceMoose

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 18:00 - Mar 11 by 26_Paz

A specific woman, not women in general.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 18:01]

Oh that's ok then...

So, just to clarify, when you said in this very thread that 'everyone' deserves respect, you didn't actually mean everyone. Just the people you approve of.

At least you admit to it this time.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 18:04]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 18:03 - Mar 11 with 2136 viewslowhouseblue

Daniel Sloss nailing it... on 17:42 - Mar 11 by bluelagos

I understand that these cases often come down to a "He said - she said" making prosecutions difficult.

But here's a thought. Just as a court will now discuss the accuser (rape victim's) sexual history - how about if the defense goes down that route then the alleged rapist should also have his sexual history put out there?

Why should she be effectively put on trial when he is the one being charged?

Am no expert on the ins/outs but there has to be ways to raise the current conviction rates far closer to other serious crimes.

i'm not defending the current low success rate in prosecutions, just pointing out that the nature of the evidence often makes fair convictions particularly difficult. we have rules about the disclosure of past convictions in court and about the relevance of a defendant's past to a specific charge. the question is whether you're prepared to sacrifice those long standing safeguards in order to increase the success rate of prosecutions. equally of course the defence should show the relevance of any questions put to the prosecutions witness. the danger is that to see really substantial changes to the success rate of prosecutions we might need to sacrifice some of the very long standing rights and safeguards for defendants.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024