Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Passing 14:45 - Apr 15 with 1351 viewssaffers12

Watched most games this year and the 1 thing above all that shocks me is how bad we are at passing in terms of intensity, accuracy and use of pace and space

Above all what has the been the worst aspect for yourself?
Passing on 14:48 - Apr 15 with 1287 viewsUB9Blue

Our goalkeepers inability to command their area?
Passing on 14:50 - Apr 15 with 1276 viewssaffers12

Passing on 14:48 - Apr 15 by UB9Blue

Our goalkeepers inability to command their area?

My friend works for Mk Dons who had previously scouted Holy and summed up him perfectly when we signed him

...main thing was about movement and getting down quick enough
Passing on 14:51 - Apr 15 with 1273 viewsSimonds92

Absolutely agree with this, it's been my issue for about 12 years. Players don't take enough care with their passing, its usually behind the receiver or straight at their feet so they have to wait for the ball which prevents us from playing with any intensity.
Passing on 14:51 - Apr 15 with 1269 viewschrismakin

The lack of knowledge on where to run once you've passed the ball. They seem to pass and stay still waiting for someone to tell them where to move next.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Passing on 14:54 - Apr 15 with 1248 viewssaffers12

Passing on 14:51 - Apr 15 by chrismakin

The lack of knowledge on where to run once you've passed the ball. They seem to pass and stay still waiting for someone to tell them where to move next.

It is either instinct, communication of confidence issues, we don't seem to gamble where the ball can go, partly because it does not always get there, we are not brave enough, which I agree with PC about
Passing on 15:14 - Apr 15 with 1171 viewsSaleAway

Passing on 14:51 - Apr 15 by Simonds92

Absolutely agree with this, it's been my issue for about 12 years. Players don't take enough care with their passing, its usually behind the receiver or straight at their feet so they have to wait for the ball which prevents us from playing with any intensity.

I remember having a conversation with my neighbour, who went through City's youth setup, before being sent out on loan to a League one side, and one of the things that caught him out, was that at City, they were constantly coached to pass into the space, so that the players could run into it, but when he tried that at L1 level, they all just thought his accuracy was rubbish, so he had to recalibrate himself to pass to feet...

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Passing on 15:25 - Apr 15 with 1107 viewsBlueRaider

Passing on 15:14 - Apr 15 by SaleAway

I remember having a conversation with my neighbour, who went through City's youth setup, before being sent out on loan to a League one side, and one of the things that caught him out, was that at City, they were constantly coached to pass into the space, so that the players could run into it, but when he tried that at L1 level, they all just thought his accuracy was rubbish, so he had to recalibrate himself to pass to feet...

Thats shocking really, you'd think that was basic !

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Passing on 15:32 - Apr 15 with 1075 viewslazyblue

Agree plus the general ball control, the amount times when a pass does go to feet the second touch will be a tackle or the crap throw ins which are returned straight out of play.
Login to get fewer ads

Passing on 15:35 - Apr 15 with 1062 viewsFtnfwest

Even in the original 'bad times' during the 80's and 90's we were still at least good at that but its been gone for a good 15 years now (obviously down even further to diabolical now)
Passing on 16:02 - Apr 15 with 1004 viewsDeano69

Been saying this for sometime. Our 'completed pass rate' (particularly in the opposition half) must be pathetic.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Passing on 17:47 - Apr 15 with 913 viewsBonchosBicycle

Passing on 14:54 - Apr 15 by saffers12

It is either instinct, communication of confidence issues, we don't seem to gamble where the ball can go, partly because it does not always get there, we are not brave enough, which I agree with PC about

This is partly what makes Dozz look bad at times; he can play all the clever balls he likes but if nobody's got that understanding of where he's likely to put it, and gambling on being there, it looks crap.

Agree with most here I think in that we don't pass and move, we don't make space, we don't look forwards enough. How many times have I seen Toto give the ball to someone in midfield - as I imagine he's been told to do as much as possible - to see it get put straight back to him, often putting him under pressure.
Passing on 18:17 - Apr 15 with 865 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It's the combination of passing and movement. We show too little movement off the ball and the passing is far too poor.

Passing and movement comes from developing partnerships and understanding on the pitch and players showing desire and attacking intent.

It is little wonder that a squad of 50+ players has not developed effective partnerships. Cook's first aim is to somehow manage this squad down to an effective 20-25 man squad.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Passing on 18:17 - Apr 15 with 865 viewsDarth_Koont

Same for me: the passing.

I think we’re always 5% off with the timing of the pass, 5% off with the pace, 5% off with the direction, 5% off with the timing of the run etc. etc. Add all those up and it means we keep the ball for a couple of passes max before we lose the ball.

And it all becomes chicken and egg so the lack of passing success in the opposition half just keeps us that bit more hesitant and unsure.

It’s difficult to see how we break out of that rut but probably going to take a couple of players (like Downes did on Tuesday) to play to a much higher level despite the team and hope they can get the team momentum moving in the right direction.

Really not sure what Cook can do with the personnel unless we go for more of a kick and chase with say Norwood and Hawkins up front and lots of battlers picking up the second balls.

Oh and KVY coming back would dramatically change how and where we can attack.

Pronouns: He/Him

Passing on 18:20 - Apr 15 with 859 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Passing on 18:17 - Apr 15 by Darth_Koont

Same for me: the passing.

I think we’re always 5% off with the timing of the pass, 5% off with the pace, 5% off with the direction, 5% off with the timing of the run etc. etc. Add all those up and it means we keep the ball for a couple of passes max before we lose the ball.

And it all becomes chicken and egg so the lack of passing success in the opposition half just keeps us that bit more hesitant and unsure.

It’s difficult to see how we break out of that rut but probably going to take a couple of players (like Downes did on Tuesday) to play to a much higher level despite the team and hope they can get the team momentum moving in the right direction.

Really not sure what Cook can do with the personnel unless we go for more of a kick and chase with say Norwood and Hawkins up front and lots of battlers picking up the second balls.

Oh and KVY coming back would dramatically change how and where we can attack.

"lots of battlers picking up the second balls".

I am sure we could find lots of bottlers but not sure we have many battlers on the books at the moment. Something I am sure Cook is determined to change.

Passing on 18:26 - Apr 15 with 843 viewsDarth_Koont

Passing on 18:20 - Apr 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

"lots of battlers picking up the second balls".

I am sure we could find lots of bottlers but not sure we have many battlers on the books at the moment. Something I am sure Cook is determined to change.

Have Downes, Nydam, Dobra, Edwards and Norwood sniffing around Hawkins and getting up in support and there’s a lot of bite in there .... actually maybe too much. I’m sure one would get sent off per game!

Pronouns: He/Him

Passing on 18:59 - Apr 15 with 776 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Passing on 18:26 - Apr 15 by Darth_Koont

Have Downes, Nydam, Dobra, Edwards and Norwood sniffing around Hawkins and getting up in support and there’s a lot of bite in there .... actually maybe too much. I’m sure one would get sent off per game!

Downes is a battler and has tempered his aggression much better since Cook arrived. I could see Cook making him captain next season.

Nydam is not going to play too many minutes this season as he continues his return from a long serious injury.

Dobra has the running to create but I am not sure he is the goal-scoring battling midfielder you want in what you were suggesting.

Edwards of the first quarter of the season, yes. The Edwards who has been playing since some time before Christmas is about as much a battler as a wet paper bag.

Yes, Norwood can show fight but you were talking about others battling around him. The only one on our books I can see doing that is Nolan and he is out.

Passing on 20:59 - Apr 15 with 637 viewssaffers12

Passing on 18:59 - Apr 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

Downes is a battler and has tempered his aggression much better since Cook arrived. I could see Cook making him captain next season.

Nydam is not going to play too many minutes this season as he continues his return from a long serious injury.

Dobra has the running to create but I am not sure he is the goal-scoring battling midfielder you want in what you were suggesting.

Edwards of the first quarter of the season, yes. The Edwards who has been playing since some time before Christmas is about as much a battler as a wet paper bag.

Yes, Norwood can show fight but you were talking about others battling around him. The only one on our books I can see doing that is Nolan and he is out.

When I have played for good teams, you believe that your team mates will make the right ball so you gamble and make that run, I would imagine Norwood sometimes does not gamble as he believes that Edwards for example will not make that killer ball
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024