Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season 08:47 - May 26 with 1448 viewsxrayspecs

Reports this morning.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/rhys-williams-liverpool-loan-move-241
[Post edited 26 May 2021 8:49]
Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 08:50 - May 26 with 1400 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That was always very likely.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 08:59 - May 26 with 1328 viewspointofblue

Wouldn’t like this - let’s not use ourselves as a breeding ground for other team’s youngsters.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:01 - May 26 with 1305 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 08:59 - May 26 by pointofblue

Wouldn’t like this - let’s not use ourselves as a breeding ground for other team’s youngsters.

1 or 2 good quality loans is fine, and can help the development of our youngsters. It's common practice.

Not saying this guy will come though.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:03 - May 26 with 1290 viewshype313

So you wouldn't have taken Morgan Rodgers then?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:11 - May 26 with 1221 viewsStokieBlue

I think loaning someone with Premiership appearances for Liverpool is a bit different from loaning someone from Arsenal's U18.

Nearly every club that's been promoted from this division has had a top quality loanee in their side.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:24 - May 26 with 1136 viewsvilanovablue

Read he'd go out loan and thought oh he'd be a good addition for a season. I then stopped day-dreaming and thought he'll end up in the championship won't he...
Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:27 - May 26 with 1076 viewsclive_baker

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:11 - May 26 by StokieBlue

I think loaning someone with Premiership appearances for Liverpool is a bit different from loaning someone from Arsenal's U18.

Nearly every club that's been promoted from this division has had a top quality loanee in their side.

SB

Quite. You're talking about a bloke that's played the best part of 20 times this season for a side that finished 3rd in the Premier League. His presence also coincided with their best results btw, starting their final 5 games which they won all of.

FWIW I do think he's very raw, and was largely used out of necessity by Pool this season so I'm not surprised to see them look to loan him out, but as you say I think there's a world of difference between a McGuinness and someone like Williams in terms of their credentials.

I hope we take a fewer and better approach to loans this season. 3 or so of real quality, rather than bloating the squad with seemingly disinterested and unfit panic signings that looked no better than what we had available to us. MM was about the best of a bad lot last season.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:28 - May 26 with 1076 viewsHerbivore

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:01 - May 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

1 or 2 good quality loans is fine, and can help the development of our youngsters. It's common practice.

Not saying this guy will come though.

Agreed, although I prefer to use loans on players higher up the pitch where their mistakes while they're learning tend to be less costly. Plus it should be fairly easy to acquire our own capable CBs whereas acquiring players who can make something happen in the final third is less easy. Mick used to do that well with the likes of Fraser, Lawrence, and Celina. Pennington and McGuiness both cost us so many goals through individual errors, it just wasn't worth it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:32 - May 26 with 1015 viewstractorboy1978

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:24 - May 26 by vilanovablue

Read he'd go out loan and thought oh he'd be a good addition for a season. I then stopped day-dreaming and thought he'll end up in the championship won't he...

Liverpool fan on Twitter (I know) said over the weekend that they want Williams playing at the top end of a league for a side dominating games, not one that sit 10 men behind the ball. They apparently don't see him playing week in, week out for a top Championship side at the moment.
Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:36 - May 26 with 952 viewsNazemariner

Good player, who no doubtedly will have a huge future in the game. Sadly we will not be part of his journey.
Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:39 - May 26 with 915 viewsArnieM

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:11 - May 26 by StokieBlue

SB

And a very decent striker , or two

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:40 - May 26 with 911 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:28 - May 26 by Herbivore

Agreed, although I prefer to use loans on players higher up the pitch where their mistakes while they're learning tend to be less costly. Plus it should be fairly easy to acquire our own capable CBs whereas acquiring players who can make something happen in the final third is less easy. Mick used to do that well with the likes of Fraser, Lawrence, and Celina. Pennington and McGuiness both cost us so many goals through individual errors, it just wasn't worth it.

Mick also loaned Carter Vickers and Richard Stearman who did a very good job for us in the Champ.
[Post edited 26 May 2021 9:44]

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:46 - May 26 with 864 viewsclive_baker

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:40 - May 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Mick also loaned Carter Vickers and Richard Stearman who did a very good job for us in the Champ.

I agree, I think it's as much about their relative ability than where they play. Carter-Vickers, Lawrence, Fraser were of a much higher standard and far bigger coups than McGuinness or Pennington, and their respective careers since demonstrate that. I don't think it's comparing apples with apples when talking about MM who couldn't get in Arsenal yoofs the season before he joined us, vs. Lawrence who was already experienced in the Championship, capped by his country etc.

In the same respect we brought in Bennetts and Harrop in advanced areas this season and they both looked absolutely garbage.

Ultimately it's pretty straight forward, we just need to sign good players and not sh1t ones.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:48 - May 26 with 824 viewsvilanovablue

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:32 - May 26 by tractorboy1978

Liverpool fan on Twitter (I know) said over the weekend that they want Williams playing at the top end of a league for a side dominating games, not one that sit 10 men behind the ball. They apparently don't see him playing week in, week out for a top Championship side at the moment.

Thanks for that, I think he'd be a good addition as a loan and is the sort I'd love us to target.
Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:50 - May 26 with 813 viewsHerbivore

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:40 - May 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Stearman was mid 20s and had played a lot of football so it's not really like for like. Carter-Vickers had been on loan for half a season in the Championship before we signed him as well, and we changed to playing three at the back to accommodate him. There's a difference there in contrast to signing complete rookies to play in a CB pairing.

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:53 - May 26 with 784 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:50 - May 26 by Herbivore

Stearman was mid 20s and had played a lot of football so it's not really like for like. Carter-Vickers had been on loan for half a season in the Championship before we signed him as well, and we changed to playing three at the back to accommodate him. There's a difference there in contrast to signing complete rookies to play in a CB pairing.

Making the point that MM wasn't afraid to loan defensive players.

I didn't suggest it was like for like.

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 10:16 - May 26 with 680 viewsVaughan8

Firstly, there is no way this guy is going to end up here.

These threads always have the anti-loan brigade saying "lets not loan players".

Quality loans are good, ones who don't improve us or provide additional depth aren't.

I would want another Lawrence or fraser again. Even an Celina is better than anyone we have. Loans can be a "cheap" way to obtain a very good player which you have no chance of buying at that moment.
[Post edited 26 May 2021 10:24]
Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 10:19 - May 26 with 659 viewswkj

I agree in principle, but that really is the niche now sadly. A couple of good quality, young loans are important for most teams in L1 and 2 now

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 10:23 - May 26 with 630 viewsHerbivore

Rhys Williams to be loaned out next season on 09:53 - May 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Making the point that MM wasn't afraid to loan defensive players.

I didn't suggest it was like for like.

Fair enough, in which case I think we're talking slightly at cross purposes.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024