Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It’s fine, four points from two games 21:53 - Jun 18 with 1852 viewsSteve_M

The Czechs won’t be such a combative game. Kane is an issue as he’s so far short of his best but England always chuck a poorer performance in at tournaments.

Scotland have deservedly given themselves a chance too, not sure they did enough to deserve more than a point though.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2021 6:09]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

It’s fine, four points from two games on 21:55 - Jun 18 with 1470 viewsChrisd

Thought they looked more of a threat than we did. Based on that display, I hope Scotland beat Croatia to get through.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

It’s fine, four points from two games on 21:56 - Jun 18 with 1446 viewsSitfcB

Czechs probably better than us haha. Schtick will bag.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

It’s fine, four points from two games on 21:59 - Jun 18 with 1408 viewsvapour_trail

No Steve you’ve got this all wrong, you need to rant and throw your toys out of the pram whenever you don’t resemble the harlem globetrotters.

State of the posts on here tonight.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:04 - Jun 18 with 1396 viewsN2_Blue

"England always Chuck a poorer performance in at tournaments"

Yes and as a result England never build up any momentum to win tournaments either.

That's the difference between England the the decent European nations Steve.

If you think that's fine, you are obviously happy with the usual QF exit, because that's what we are getting.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:05 - Jun 18 with 1388 viewsChrisd

It’s fine, four points from two games on 21:59 - Jun 18 by vapour_trail

No Steve you’ve got this all wrong, you need to rant and throw your toys out of the pram whenever you don’t resemble the harlem globetrotters.

Not sure England have ever played like the Harlem Globetrotters?! Two games into this tournament and two hugely underwhelming displays. Just doesn’t instill confidence.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 22:06]

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:08 - Jun 18 with 1360 viewsN2_Blue

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:05 - Jun 18 by Chrisd

Not sure England have ever played like the Harlem Globetrotters?! Two games into this tournament and two hugely underwhelming displays. Just doesn’t instill confidence.

Exactly, had England played superbly and got a point it would be a good point and carry the momentum.

But that just stalls the good work from the Croatia result. A reason England never win tournaments is they never build momentum ,look at Italy/Belgium etc....already going, both would cruise to win v England currently.

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:09 - Jun 18 with 1357 viewsSteve_M

I think some people were expecting Scotland to roll over and lose 4-0.

Does anyone remember how dire the Netherlands match was in 1990 or Switzerland in 1996?

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:13 - Jun 18 with 1330 viewsN2_Blue

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:09 - Jun 18 by Steve_M

Does anyone remember how dire the Netherlands match was in 1990 or Switzerland in 1996?

you don't get it do you Steve...momentum

Swiss was first game....in 96, then a win against old enemy and then played the Dutch off park in one of best England wins ever.

We've gone backwards from the first game....

Momentum wins tournaments.

Gareth still doesn't know how to set up this side or what his best XI is a week into the tourmanent.

Login to get fewer ads

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:14 - Jun 18 with 1311 viewsvapour_trail

We’ve got a board tonight like the morons at Wembley booing the team as the game started and as the game finished.

What can you do.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:25 - Jun 18 with 1245 viewsMelford

We drew 1-1 against Ireland, 0-0 against Holland and 1-0 against Egypt to get out of the group in Italia 90. Portugal didn't win a game in their group last Euros and won the thing.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:30 - Jun 18 with 1217 viewsChrisd

The Swiss game in 96 was dull, but the Holland game in Italia ‘90 was the game Gazza emerged on the world stage and bossed the midfield. I thought we played well in that game and gave the confidence we could do something in the tournament, although I’m getting on a bit so my memory might be playing tricks on me.

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:33 - Jun 18 with 1200 viewsm14_blue

It was always going to be tough tonight, and a point isn’t the end of the world, but the performance was pretty dire and has sucked away all momentum gained from Sunday.

We just don’t carry enough of a threat and that has to be a systemic issue given the apparent riches we have in attacking areas.

I’m hoping this was a bit of an anomaly, being a local derby, and not a sign of things to come.

Agree that Kane is a worry.
It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:34 - Jun 18 with 1194 viewsSteve_M

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:30 - Jun 18 by Chrisd

The Swiss game in 96 was dull, but the Holland game in Italia ‘90 was the game Gazza emerged on the world stage and bossed the midfield. I thought we played well in that game and gave the confidence we could do something in the tournament, although I’m getting on a bit so my memory might be playing tricks on me.

Yes, Gascogne did show a lot in that Holland game but other than Pearce’s late free kick there wasn’t a decent effort on goal (maybe one other chance?).

Just think context of this match is important. Bloody wish Stones had buried that header, ever is it only made for a crap nervy win.

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:39 - Jun 18 with 1148 viewsbrazil1982

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:05 - Jun 18 by Chrisd

Typical England performance. I'm fed up with it.
It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:43 - Jun 18 with 1141 viewsChrisd

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:34 - Jun 18 by Steve_M

Yes, Gascogne did show a lot in that Holland game but other than Pearce’s late free kick there wasn’t a decent effort on goal (maybe one other chance?).

Just think context of this match is important. Bloody wish Stones had buried that header, ever is it only made for a crap nervy win.

It was more the fact that we had outplayed Holland, who were the European champions at the time, and kept them quiet. We should’ve won that game instead of coming away with a 0-0 draw, we were the better side that night, even with Dutch superstars Gullit, Van Basten and Rikjard all playing.

We didn’t deserve the win tonight Steve, and we’ve just not looked convincing. Slow, laboured passing isn’t going to beat the better sides in this tournament.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 22:45]

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:45 - Jun 18 with 1113 viewsSwansea_Blue

The main thing wrong tonight is that people aren't giving Scotland enough credit. They played very well and thoroughly deserved a point. Nobody could have argued had they won either tbh. But that's England for you (media especially) - an arrogance that we only have to turn up to beat teams we think are below us. It's why we're hated by so many.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:48 - Jun 18 with 1093 viewsChrisd

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:45 - Jun 18 by Swansea_Blue

The main thing wrong tonight is that people aren't giving Scotland enough credit. They played very well and thoroughly deserved a point. Nobody could have argued had they won either tbh. But that's England for you (media especially) - an arrogance that we only have to turn up to beat teams we think are below us. It's why we're hated by so many.

Agree. I keep hearing let’s give credit to Scotland, they defended really well. Hang on, were they clinging on for the point?! Based on tonight’s display, Scotland were the better side and played really well.

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:48 - Jun 18 with 1093 viewsSteve_M

I’m not even sure it’s the media any longer as much as a subset of fans who imbibed that attitude over the years.

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:49 - Jun 18 with 1089 viewsxrayspecs

Was at Wembley on Sunday and we were poor against an ageing Croatia. First 20 mins aside, we huffed and puffed,

Tonight, no better, Scotland were organised and disciplined but lacking the match winners that Croatia have, Again we huffed and puffed.

The front four are unconvincing. Kane does not look fit nor in form. Sterling lacks confidence and has not had a great season. Foden and Mount look good, at times.

We need the front four to be far more impactful if we are to get to the final stages of this competition.

Have seen England improve into tournaments before, we do need to improve a lot if we are going to get to the last week of the competition.
It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:52 - Jun 18 with 1073 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:48 - Jun 18 by Steve_M

I’m not even sure it’s the media any longer as much as a subset of fans who imbibed that attitude over the years.

Mark Pougatch on ITV was giving it a good go, but yes I think it's a pretty much embedded viewpoint.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:56 - Jun 18 with 1044 viewsSimonds92

Agree, we've got idiots calling for Southgates head despite him being pivotal to this positive atmosphere which surrounds the national team. We're so much better than we have been for 20 odd years because of the culture he has created. Having said all that, tactically he got it very wrong tonight.

I think Kane is a massive worry because the way he's trying to play is detrimental to the team as a whole. We need a striker to stretch the backline and hold the ball, not drop off as a false 9. We don't have the pace in behind like he does with Son at Tottenham.
It’s fine, four points from two games on 23:01 - Jun 18 with 1015 viewsMrTown

Thought it was a performance that lacked any real quality from either side.

Any side that is capable of leaving Jason Sancho out twice must have a special attacking threat, you’d have thought.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 23:10]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

It’s fine, four points from two games on 23:23 - Jun 18 with 937 viewsN2_Blue

I thought Scotland were brilliant, Clarke got the better of Southgate.

Think you could argue they deserved to win it as much as England. Che Adams was very good but if he'd been more clinical they'd have won.

No lack of credit given to Scotland with the group of friends i watched with.

Still very disappointed with England, as a tournament winning side would have won the game fairly comfortably, i.e. Belgium France Italy would all have won i think. Opportunity for momentum ala 96 lost

It’s fine, four points from two games on 23:27 - Jun 18 with 919 viewsTractorWood

It’s fine, four points from two games on 22:04 - Jun 18 by N2_Blue

"England always Chuck a poorer performance in at tournaments"

Yes and as a result England never build up any momentum to win tournaments either.

That's the difference between England the the decent European nations Steve.

If you think that's fine, you are obviously happy with the usual QF exit, because that's what we are getting.

This team is going out at the first sign of a decent side in the knockouts.

A Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Dutch.

Favourites? Having a laugh.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

It’s fine, four points from two games on 23:40 - Jun 18 with 886 viewsN2_Blue

It’s fine, four points from two games on 23:27 - Jun 18 by TractorWood

This team is going out at the first sign of a decent side in the knockouts.

A Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Dutch.

Favourites? Having a laugh.

Yep indeed, although not sure Spain, or Netherlands are much better than us.

Spain look the same as us, can have plenty of the ball but create very little with it. They have no centre forward and we have an anonymous Kane currently.

Wonder if the ankle injuries are catching up with him...he may go the way of Rooney and have a short career unfortunately as no obvious injury but looks way off it internationally.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024