Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ffs 20:18 - Aug 29 with 1511 viewsbluelagos

I just spent 6 hours avoiding all F1 news to watch the highlights on C4...

A real life likely lad.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2021 20:19]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Ffs on 20:19 - Aug 29 with 1488 viewsFtnfwest

Flooded out!
Ffs on 20:19 - Aug 29 with 1483 viewschrismakin

Don't worry, I Spent 5 hours watching the program live!

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Ffs on 20:21 - Aug 29 with 1477 viewsbluelagos

Ffs on 20:19 - Aug 29 by Ftnfwest

Flooded out!

I know that now! Why cant they rescehdule for tomorrow? There's around 100k fans there...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Ffs on 20:27 - Aug 29 with 1443 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ffs on 20:21 - Aug 29 by bluelagos

I know that now! Why cant they rescehdule for tomorrow? There's around 100k fans there...

Because they have another race next week and would f**k the logistics up. Sh*te outcome though, and farcical IMO to have ensured a result via procession behind the safety car rather than declaring it null and void

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Ffs on 20:34 - Aug 29 with 1411 viewsJuggsy

You’re not alone haha, been at work all day and looking forward to the highlights….
Ffs on 20:42 - Aug 29 with 1386 viewsbelgablue

I’m with you. Also felt cheated they created a highlights show of it and lured me in with three laps behind the safety car :(

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Ffs on 20:48 - Aug 29 with 1367 viewsSitfcB

Should’ve just raced ffs. Pussies. We all have to drive in the rain.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Ffs on 00:43 - Aug 30 with 1160 viewsstonojnr

Ffs on 20:27 - Aug 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Because they have another race next week and would f**k the logistics up. Sh*te outcome though, and farcical IMO to have ensured a result via procession behind the safety car rather than declaring it null and void

even if there wasnt a race next weekend the logistics are still impossible, you have hundreds of volunteer marshalls, professional medics, security, tv crew, circuit staff, press...for instance note Martin Brundle actually left before the technical end of the race because he had a channel tunnel crossing to catch...that you cant just go ah sorry chaps come back tomorrow ok we'll try again well bump the equivalent of Bargain Hunt off to put this on for you.

I thought it was a perfectly valid way to run the race, modern F1 has had strict protocol and rules on wet weather races for some time now, that are double downed on since Jules Bianchi lost his life as the result of a crash in a wet race that could easily have been prevented had the safety car been deployed sooner, and cars not allowed to pass track vehicles at racing speed.

So they just dont run green flag laps in those conditions anymore for driver & track worker safety. 2 laps was the minimum they needed to call a result, they could have carried on for the whole race distance behind the safety car, and weve had races where theyve run upto a quarter of the race behind the safety car and people complained that it was meaningless to run so long behind the safety car when you could have stopped sooner and ended up with the same result.

all you have to do is think at racing speed Verstappen has a Norris style crash at the top of Eau Rouge into Raidillon when he catches a wet kerb and spins in the middle of the track and 19 other cars who have no sight of it because they cant see it due to the spray pile into the side of him at 180mph.

so it was completely the right call to do it like that. all the teams knew the weather forecast, knew this was a possibility, and had played their qualifying approach with that in mind, I dont have a problem at all with how they decided that race, it went exactly by the rule book and what the rule book allows for this situation.

what it needs is tv/press to inform properly without the emotion or favourtism towards certain drivers, or create stories, to cloud their ability to tell the viewing public what is actually happening imo.

remember its only by sheer chance all the drivers, all the marshalls and all the spectators walked away from this

30 years ago the Australian GP ran for 16 laps, results only taken to lap 14, no-one complained half points were awarded, everyone was quite glad no one was seriously hurt actually.
Login to get fewer ads

Ffs on 00:48 - Aug 30 with 1150 viewsRamRob

Ffs on 00:43 - Aug 30 by stonojnr

even if there wasnt a race next weekend the logistics are still impossible, you have hundreds of volunteer marshalls, professional medics, security, tv crew, circuit staff, press...for instance note Martin Brundle actually left before the technical end of the race because he had a channel tunnel crossing to catch...that you cant just go ah sorry chaps come back tomorrow ok we'll try again well bump the equivalent of Bargain Hunt off to put this on for you.

I thought it was a perfectly valid way to run the race, modern F1 has had strict protocol and rules on wet weather races for some time now, that are double downed on since Jules Bianchi lost his life as the result of a crash in a wet race that could easily have been prevented had the safety car been deployed sooner, and cars not allowed to pass track vehicles at racing speed.

So they just dont run green flag laps in those conditions anymore for driver & track worker safety. 2 laps was the minimum they needed to call a result, they could have carried on for the whole race distance behind the safety car, and weve had races where theyve run upto a quarter of the race behind the safety car and people complained that it was meaningless to run so long behind the safety car when you could have stopped sooner and ended up with the same result.

all you have to do is think at racing speed Verstappen has a Norris style crash at the top of Eau Rouge into Raidillon when he catches a wet kerb and spins in the middle of the track and 19 other cars who have no sight of it because they cant see it due to the spray pile into the side of him at 180mph.

so it was completely the right call to do it like that. all the teams knew the weather forecast, knew this was a possibility, and had played their qualifying approach with that in mind, I dont have a problem at all with how they decided that race, it went exactly by the rule book and what the rule book allows for this situation.

what it needs is tv/press to inform properly without the emotion or favourtism towards certain drivers, or create stories, to cloud their ability to tell the viewing public what is actually happening imo.

remember its only by sheer chance all the drivers, all the marshalls and all the spectators walked away from this

30 years ago the Australian GP ran for 16 laps, results only taken to lap 14, no-one complained half points were awarded, everyone was quite glad no one was seriously hurt actually.

Is there anything stopping them just driving slower in the rain? Say put the variable speed limit signs on 50 like they do on the Orwell bridge when it's windy

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Ffs on 08:09 - Aug 30 with 1001 viewssolomon

It always makes me laugh when people say they should have raced. It’s not only the safety of the drivers that’s at risk it’s the marshals and circuit staff lives that are put at risk too. You have to remember spa is an older circuit there are hardly any tarmac run offs or deep gravel traps but lots of short verges and Armco barriers, fine if the conditions are not extreme. People forget it’s only been 2 years since the last fatality in F2 at spa in the dry. The right decision all day long.
Ffs on 08:26 - Aug 30 with 965 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ffs on 00:43 - Aug 30 by stonojnr

Yes indeed, although suspect it may have been feasible still had there been a longer break

You’ve completely misread my post though, I wasn’t saying they should have raced, I was saying that abandoning with no result rather than engineering the 2 laps to meet the rule requirement for a ‘race’ would have been a more satisfactory result IMO

The outcome here is completely different to previous shortened races, given that on those occasions there was some actual racing before the race had to be abandoned. Drivers here meanwhile have effectively been given half points for a qualifying result. Seems like most of the drivers agree

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Ffs on 09:02 - Aug 30 with 915 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Ffs on 20:48 - Aug 29 by SitfcB

This is a farcical spectacle where drives are told who they are and are not allowed to overtake. Nothing surprises me anymore with this dross.
Ffs on 09:29 - Aug 30 with 884 viewssolomon

Ffs on 09:02 - Aug 30 by BlueBlueBluex2

This is a farcical spectacle where drives are told who they are and are not allowed to overtake. Nothing surprises me anymore with this dross.

Fair enough. At this point I’d suggest motor sport isn’t for you and you’d save yourself a lot of annoyance by never watching again.
Ffs on 09:40 - Aug 30 with 869 viewsTractorFrog

Ffs on 20:48 - Aug 29 by SitfcB

Absolutely zero chance that racing was the right thing to do. Driving on the road at slow speeds in the rain is not the same as driving an F1 car through Eau Rouge, in competition with other F1 cars. If one had spun, the drivers behind would not be able to see due to the spray and there could have been a huge crash. And the fact that it was at Spa made it even more dangerous as I believe this track has claimed more fatalities than any other on the current calendar. 'Drive slower' is not a valid argument as F1 cars can still aquaplane at slow speeds, and with unsighted cars close behind. And also, the drivers would not have slowed down anyway, so the only way Masi could have controlled them is by not letting them race at all. As infuriating as it is that I spent four hours watching replays of rain falling in slow motion, Masi made the right call in not racing. The only real debate can be whether the awarding of half-points was correct, or whether the race should have been declared null and void.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024