Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
well, well, well 07:33 - Oct 20 with 3378 viewsblueysbackside

Who would have thought that, given a bit of time, Cook's team could perform like that, eh?
Hopefully that buys him a bit more time with those of you who wanted him out by the end of October/November.
Anyone changing their opinions on Cook?
Onwards and upwards.
well, well, well on 07:36 - Oct 20 with 1948 viewstextbackup

almost like a professional manager had a plan, knew what he was looking to try and do with his squad. and the supporters, unqualified, with no real idea, might end up being wrong.
but they wont be wrong, obviously, they never are.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

well, well, well on 07:40 - Oct 20 with 1915 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Let's hope we can turn it into at least 2 wins in a row, that's the big issue at the moment.

Great win last night, but we've here before with Doncaster.

Here's hoping this time it's the start of some momentum.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2021 7:40]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

well, well, well on 07:41 - Oct 20 with 1905 viewsLightworker

I'm not going to change my opinion based on one game, no.

It was a great win with some really good performances but it is only one game. We need to beat Fleetwood and then we have two difficult away games where we need to show up.

Some promising signs last night but lets see where we are after Wycombe before we get too excited.
well, well, well on 07:43 - Oct 20 with 1871 viewsBluefish

well, well, well on 07:36 - Oct 20 by textbackup

almost like a professional manager had a plan, knew what he was looking to try and do with his squad. and the supporters, unqualified, with no real idea, might end up being wrong.
but they wont be wrong, obviously, they never are.

I think the plan was promotion not winning a mid week match against a team that conceded 4 on Saturday as well and failed to beat Doncaster. Shall we perhaps hang on until he has put a few wins together and got us up the table. Lambert used to win some as well but we wouldn't want him back

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

well, well, well on 07:45 - Oct 20 with 1867 viewsjayessess

Last night shifted my opinion a bit, yes. We haven't won an away match convincingly like that under Cook before, and Portsmouth were a trickier opponent than we made them look.

Of course winning games buys him time, that goes without saying doesn't it?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

well, well, well on 07:45 - Oct 20 with 1860 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

well, well, well on 07:43 - Oct 20 by Bluefish

I think the plan was promotion not winning a mid week match against a team that conceded 4 on Saturday as well and failed to beat Doncaster. Shall we perhaps hang on until he has put a few wins together and got us up the table. Lambert used to win some as well but we wouldn't want him back

Can you sum up your unrestrained and selfless joy through the medium of song?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

well, well, well on 07:47 - Oct 20 with 1838 viewstextbackup

well, well, well on 07:43 - Oct 20 by Bluefish

this is true, but winning those midweek matches will ultimately help towards gaining promotion.....

i do look forward to us sitting in the playoffs around xmas time, not too many points off the top two.

i think everyone lost their heads a bit, expecting us to start the season at a hundred miles an hour.

well, well, well on 07:47 - Oct 20 with 1836 viewsblueysbackside

well, well, well on 07:41 - Oct 20 by Lightworker

It was a great win with some really good performances but it is only one game. We need to beat Fleetwood and then we have two difficult away games where we need to show up.

Some promising signs last night but lets see where we are after Wycombe before we get too excited.

Wow. I was absolutely off my tits watching that last night. I can't even remember when we last played/won like that? We've turned the corner! Enjoy!
Login to get fewer ads

well, well, well on 07:48 - Oct 20 with 1826 viewsjimmyvet

well, well, well on 07:41 - Oct 20 by Lightworker

Oh stop it … a brand new squad, quarter of the season in and we are a win off the play offs? Some people really ought to grow up. Nearly 20 years of misery you can’t turn that around over night for goodness sake.

Cooks management team, the squad and the board are doing a great job, just sad so many who know so little about playing or managing a sports team or managing a business take such a silly short term view on our club.
well, well, well on 07:49 - Oct 20 with 1824 viewsblueysbackside

well, well, well on 07:47 - Oct 20 by textbackup

this is true, but winning those midweek matches will ultimately help towards gaining promotion.....

i do look forward to us sitting in the playoffs around xmas time, not too many points off the top two.

i think everyone lost their heads a bit, expecting us to start the season at a hundred miles an hour.

Absolutely. It's almost like peeps in here are just waiting for a defeat to vent their spleen.
well, well, well on 07:53 - Oct 20 with 1770 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

well, well, well on 07:48 - Oct 20 by jimmyvet

Oh stop it … a brand new squad, quarter of the season in and we are a win off the play offs? Some people really ought to grow up. Nearly 20 years of misery you can’t turn that around over night for goodness sake.

Cooks management team, the squad and the board are doing a great job, just sad so many who know so little about playing or managing a sports team or managing a business take such a silly short term view on our club.

We're not a win away from the play offs, we are at least two wins away assuming no one above us picks up points.

But we are picking up some form hopefully.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

well, well, well on 07:54 - Oct 20 with 1759 viewsHighgateBlue

A win off the playoffs? Surely we're 5 points off the playoffs? And 6 points off relegation.

Clearly there is renewed cause for optimism after last night, agreed. I just want to put the facts straight.
well, well, well on 07:57 - Oct 20 with 1737 viewsblueysbackside

well said, sir
well, well, well on 07:58 - Oct 20 with 1729 viewsLightworker

well, well, well on 07:47 - Oct 20 by blueysbackside

Wow. I was absolutely off my tits watching that last night. I can't even remember when we last played/won like that? We've turned the corner! Enjoy!

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the performance last night but it was still only one game.

I thoroughly enjoyed Doncaster as well and then we followed it up with Accrington so lets see if we can follow it up properly this time by beating Fleetwood.

I am not Cook out at this stage and while the signs are that we are improving he should be backed, but lets not forget we are in the third division with a squad that should be challenging for automatic promotion. It is still relatively early days in the season but Cook remains under pressure to deliver and rightly so. If we want to be a big club we need to act like one and not settle for mediocrity.
well, well, well on 08:00 - Oct 20 with 1709 viewsjayessess

Can we not save the declarations about what a great job everyone's doing until we're somewhere vaguely near the top end of League One?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

well, well, well on 08:01 - Oct 20 with 1701 viewsLightworker

So saying we should enjoy last night but not get over excited about one performance is childish now?

Ok Jimmy.
well, well, well on 08:01 - Oct 20 with 1697 viewsChurchman

For the next few days, it’s all about enjoying a really good win. I’m really hoping it really is a turning point at last.
well, well, well on 08:02 - Oct 20 with 1690 viewsblueysbackside

well, well, well on 07:58 - Oct 20 by Lightworker

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the performance last night but it was still only one game.

I thoroughly enjoyed Doncaster as well and then we followed it up with Accrington so lets see if we can follow it up properly this time by beating Fleetwood.

I am not Cook out at this stage and while the signs are that we are improving he should be backed, but lets not forget we are in the third division with a squad that should be challenging for automatic promotion. It is still relatively early days in the season but Cook remains under pressure to deliver and rightly so. If we want to be a big club we need to act like one and not settle for mediocrity.

We do have a squad that should be challenging for automatic promotion BUT we must accept that sometimes it takes time for players to gel. Yes, I get the whole 'it's happened elsewhere so why not here?' argument but it's not as simple as that. I've been hoping for a statement win, now we've finally got it. Hopefully we can move on from the 'oh, it's Cook's lack of a decent assistant' and all that nonsense now. Last night was unbelievable.
well, well, well on 08:04 - Oct 20 with 1670 viewswkj

My opinion is still the same, he underperformed and I didn't like it - but I hope he comes good.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

well, well, well on 08:04 - Oct 20 with 1675 viewsBurns7

We annihilated Doncaster and went nowhere after that, these silly results are happening up and down the league for a number of teams. He's not become a managerial genius over night. This is a rubbish league and we will batter a few teams this season, as we did under Lambert.

So in short, it's nearly November and were 13th in League One. It's not acceptable. If he gets us promoted I will admit gladly that I was wrong, but we aren't going up under Cook in my opinion, and one result will not change that for me.
well, well, well on 08:08 - Oct 20 with 1627 viewsBluefish

well, well, well on 07:47 - Oct 20 by textbackup

I dunno about that he was awful at getting the squad working this season send he started this season equally as bad. It has been well below minimum expectation and he is very very lucky to still be in a job. In reality he has left himself hanging on, we can go on to still pull it off but there is little to no room for error. I think if he gets us promoted he will go on to do really well for us because his self belief will spread but he can't afford mistakes

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

well, well, well on 08:09 - Oct 20 with 1624 viewsDanTheMan

well, well, well on 08:04 - Oct 20 by wkj

My opinion is still the same, he underperformed and I didn't like it - but I hope he comes good.

Yup, basically the same for me. And it wasn't purely the results, some of the performances (even post Doncaster) were bad.

I truly hope this is the result that we push on from, as we did well last night. First half was a bit rocky (some Bonne brilliance aside) but the second half we completely contained them and played some nice stuff. Aided a little by some absolute howlers from their goalkeeper but we did a professional job. Really pleased we didn't concede straight after scoring.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

well, well, well on 08:10 - Oct 20 with 1613 viewsblueysbackside

well, well, well on 08:04 - Oct 20 by Burns7

We annihilated Doncaster and went nowhere after that, these silly results are happening up and down the league for a number of teams. He's not become a managerial genius over night. This is a rubbish league and we will batter a few teams this season, as we did under Lambert.

So in short, it's nearly November and were 13th in League One. It's not acceptable. If he gets us promoted I will admit gladly that I was wrong, but we aren't going up under Cook in my opinion, and one result will not change that for me.

I can't say you're wrong, only that I believe we have to get away from this short-term view that somehow we need to be up there from the off with this team of League 1 'super stars'. I was happy to wait and see how we'd perform after the transfer window, and results since then have shown that this is an ongoing process, one that might not result in instant gratification. I hope we get a few more results like last night, if only for Cook's sake. We have to enjoy last night, however. That was superb. Magnif. Magic etc
well, well, well on 08:13 - Oct 20 with 1595 viewstextbackup

well, well, well on 08:08 - Oct 20 by Bluefish

I dunno about that he was awful at getting the squad working this season send he started this season equally as bad. It has been well below minimum expectation and he is very very lucky to still be in a job. In reality he has left himself hanging on, we can go on to still pull it off but there is little to no room for error. I think if he gets us promoted he will go on to do really well for us because his self belief will spread but he can't afford mistakes

last season was disappointing, but the more bits you hear about the goings on its no wonder the whole thing went tits up.

was so many good individual performances lastnight, that it makes me think they are all now really getting comfortable in their respected roles. Aluko adds so much to this team, over someone like Celina (IMO) a proper team player. Evans next to Morsy know his role, and possibly my MOTM lastnight, JD in the form of his life it seems, edmudson at the back.
really pleasing to see.

well, well, well on 08:14 - Oct 20 with 1568 viewsHerbivore

Can we not do the whole "we've turned a corner and everyone who doubted Cook is wrong" thing just yet? It happened after we trounced Donny and we followed it up with 4 points from our next 3 games, all of which were bang average or worse performances. Last night was great, first time we've looked genuinely convincing away from home in Cook's 8 months in charge. First time this season we've come out after half time and taken the game by the scruff of the neck rather than letting the opposition take charge. We still haven't won back to back league games under Cook and we're still sat in the bottom half after a kind set of opening fixtures. There's nothing to celebrate yet. We all want this to be a genuine corner turned this time but let's see what happens over the next few games. If we don't win either of our two remaining games this month then last night means very little.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024