Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
well, well, well 07:33 - Oct 20 with 3387 viewsblueysbackside

Who would have thought that, given a bit of time, Cook's team could perform like that, eh?
Hopefully that buys him a bit more time with those of you who wanted him out by the end of October/November.
Anyone changing their opinions on Cook?
Onwards and upwards.
well, well, well on 08:18 - Oct 20 with 489 viewsblueysbackside

well, well, well on 08:14 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Can we not do the whole "we've turned a corner and everyone who doubted Cook is wrong" thing just yet? It happened after we trounced Donny and we followed it up with 4 points from our next 3 games, all of which were bang average or worse performances. Last night was great, first time we've looked genuinely convincing away from home in Cook's 8 months in charge. First time this season we've come out after half time and taken the game by the scruff of the neck rather than letting the opposition take charge. We still haven't won back to back league games under Cook and we're still sat in the bottom half after a kind set of opening fixtures. There's nothing to celebrate yet. We all want this to be a genuine corner turned this time but let's see what happens over the next few games. If we don't win either of our two remaining games this month then last night means very little.

Come on, cheer up! That was stupendous last night. Even you must have managed a smile.
well, well, well on 08:24 - Oct 20 with 480 viewsHerbivore

well, well, well on 08:18 - Oct 20 by blueysbackside

Come on, cheer up! That was stupendous last night. Even you must have managed a smile.

Of course I enjoyed it. But I want us to challenge for priniotion, not win the odd game and regress to being a midtable side like we did after the big win against Donny. Celebrate the win by all means, but in the grand scheme of things it won't mean much if it's not the start of a winning run and a sustained push up the table.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

well, well, well on 08:28 - Oct 20 with 459 viewswkj

Cook has yet to achieve back-to-back wins, and we need about 4 or 5 wins on the bounce to start looking like contenders. If he manages to do this, then the past can truly start looking insignificant.

Also, Plymouth and Wycombe away will be the test of men. If we manage to win both of those (or even 4points) then I would say we're an outfit capable of promotion.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

well, well, well on 08:40 - Oct 20 with 433 viewsLightworker

Can we not do the whole "we've turned a corner and everyone who doubted Cook is wrong" thing just yet? It happened after we trounced Donny and we followed it up with 4 points from our next 3 games, all of which were bang average or worse performances. Last night was great, first time we've looked genuinely convincing away from home in Cook's 8 months in charge. First time this season we've come out after half time and taken the game by the scruff of the neck rather than letting the opposition take charge. We still haven't won back to back league games under Cook and we're still sat in the bottom half after a kind set of opening fixtures. There's nothing to celebrate yet. We all want this to be a genuine corner turned this time but let's see what happens over the next few games. If we don't win either of our two remaining games this month then last night means very little.

Exactly this. We have Plymouth and Wycombe away shortly, neither of whom have lost a game at home, let's see if we can go to those places and get something. To be honest we need to because we are so far behind those teams due to our poor start. Pressure very much still on Cook.

Also, people seem to be conveniently overlooking one thing about last night, Pompey were awful.
well, well, well on 08:41 - Oct 20 with 436 viewsitfcjoe

Fantastic win, sounds like we did the ugly stuff well in the first half (as wasn't able to follow) which was vital.

We have a fantastic squad, and are going to get good results - all the fans want to see are a few good performances strung together. After Doncaster we hoped that was a corner turned and we chucked in 3 performances afterwards that ranged from outright awful (Accrington) to at best mediocre.

All we want now is to follow up this win with another one on Saturday, and then ensure that a corner is turned - it's too early to suggest everything is fine now - as much as we all want it to be.

Expectations will be high going into Saturday, I've got a night out after so really want to go into it buzzing with a big smile on my face after another good win

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

well, well, well on 08:44 - Oct 20 with 420 viewsHerbivore

well, well, well on 08:41 - Oct 20 by itfcjoe

Fantastic win, sounds like we did the ugly stuff well in the first half (as wasn't able to follow) which was vital.

We have a fantastic squad, and are going to get good results - all the fans want to see are a few good performances strung together. After Doncaster we hoped that was a corner turned and we chucked in 3 performances afterwards that ranged from outright awful (Accrington) to at best mediocre.

All we want now is to follow up this win with another one on Saturday, and then ensure that a corner is turned - it's too early to suggest everything is fine now - as much as we all want it to be.

Expectations will be high going into Saturday, I've got a night out after so really want to go into it buzzing with a big smile on my face after another good win

Posters like the OP and one or two others only seem to appear after a win and then vanish for a while after a loss or a poor draw. It's very odd. If you can only tell us we've turned a corner once every few weeks, we probably haven't genuinely turned a corner yet.

well, well, well on 08:45 - Oct 20 with 415 viewsportmanking

well, well, well on 08:41 - Oct 20 by itfcjoe

We all want to see them follow it up with a win over Fleetwood, but it's one defeat in 8 now. There IS a corner turned. We're nowhere near the soft touch we were against the likes of Morecambe, Wimbledon and Bolton. It's coming. Just give it time. Please.
well, well, well on 08:46 - Oct 20 with 415 viewsTooManyCooks

well, well, well on 07:43 - Oct 20 by Bluefish

I think the plan was promotion not winning a mid week match against a team that conceded 4 on Saturday as well and failed to beat Doncaster. Shall we perhaps hang on until he has put a few wins together and got us up the table. Lambert used to win some as well but we wouldn't want him back

Every time we lose, it' because we're rubbish and every time we win, it's because the opposition are rubbish. Could you please let us know when an ITFC performance is allowed to be classed as good in its own right, thanks.

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

Login to get fewer ads

well, well, well on 08:46 - Oct 20 with 413 viewsFixed_It

well, well, well on 08:40 - Oct 20 by Lightworker

Exactly this. We have Plymouth and Wycombe away shortly, neither of whom have lost a game at home, let's see if we can go to those places and get something. To be honest we need to because we are so far behind those teams due to our poor start. Pressure very much still on Cook.

Also, people seem to be conveniently overlooking one thing about last night, Pompey were awful.

Records like 'unbeaten at home' are there to be broken. They'll know they won't keep on winning forever, and last night's result at Portsmouth will have them worried.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

well, well, well on 08:49 - Oct 20 with 407 viewspositivity

well, well, well on 08:46 - Oct 20 by Fixed_It

Records like 'unbeaten at home' are there to be broken. They'll know they won't keep on winning forever, and last night's result at Portsmouth will have them worried.

hadn't pompey lost one in 6 at home before tonight? and just beaten sunderland 4-0?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

well, well, well on 08:52 - Oct 20 with 391 viewsBluefish

well, well, well on 08:13 - Oct 20 by textbackup

last season was disappointing, but the more bits you hear about the goings on its no wonder the whole thing went tits up.

was so many good individual performances lastnight, that it makes me think they are all now really getting comfortable in their respected roles. Aluko adds so much to this team, over someone like Celina (IMO) a proper team player. Evans next to Morsy know his role, and possibly my MOTM lastnight, JD in the form of his life it seems, edmudson at the back.
really pleasing to see.

Agree our squad should walk this league and it more worrying when Cook's lack of tactics was making the sum of the parts ordinary at best. He seems to be a manager that builds everyone up and wins by breeding confidence and belief

The recruitment could be the issue he simply went after too many and tried to keep them happy

I was slated for my celina concerns but he is a long way down the order for me. Build on players like burns, chappers and aluko possibly fraser if in the middle and let Edwards provide the fireworks when needed
[Post edited 20 Oct 2021 8:56]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

well, well, well on 08:53 - Oct 20 with 398 viewsitfcjoe

well, well, well on 08:45 - Oct 20 by portmanking

We all want to see them follow it up with a win over Fleetwood, but it's one defeat in 8 now. There IS a corner turned. We're nowhere near the soft touch we were against the likes of Morecambe, Wimbledon and Bolton. It's coming. Just give it time. Please.

We were a soft touch against Accrington and Cambridge in this run of games - if the corner turned is a couple of fantastic wins followed by poor performances then it isn't enough.

The point return over the last few games is fine, but until we haven't strung 2 performances in a row together, let alone 2 wins - I need more than fantastic wins like last nigth, I need to see consistency.

A win on Saturday is there for the taking, we need to grab it with both hands

well, well, well on 08:53 - Oct 20 with 396 viewstextbackup

well, well, well on 08:44 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Posters like the OP and one or two others only seem to appear after a win and then vanish for a while after a loss or a poor draw. It's very odd. If you can only tell us we've turned a corner once every few weeks, we probably haven't genuinely turned a corner yet.

same could be said for the other side, we lose and they pipe up.

silly really isnt it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

well, well, well on 08:54 - Oct 20 with 395 viewspointofblue

Still earning it for me. It was only three days ago we weakly and ineptly threw away a two goal advantage at Cambridge. Plus, very much like Doncaster, all we did in the second half - quite rightly - was take advantage of poor opposition who had also conceded four the game before. It is a step in the right direction but we mustn’t go backwards again.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

well, well, well on 08:55 - Oct 20 with 390 viewsportmanking

well, well, well on 08:53 - Oct 20 by itfcjoe

We were a soft touch against Accrington and Cambridge in this run of games - if the corner turned is a couple of fantastic wins followed by poor performances then it isn't enough.

The point return over the last few games is fine, but until we haven't strung 2 performances in a row together, let alone 2 wins - I need more than fantastic wins like last nigth, I need to see consistency.

A win on Saturday is there for the taking, we need to grab it with both hands

Cambridge was one or two individual errors. We largely controlled that game. There HAS been consistency in our way of playing for the last 3-4 games. Individual errors have stunted that progress at times, but they are steadily becoming fewer and further between.
well, well, well on 08:56 - Oct 20 with 391 viewsHerbivore

well, well, well on 08:45 - Oct 20 by portmanking

We looked the same soft touch against Accrington and Cambridge as we looked in the games you mention. We're still yet to win back to back games. That's not a corner turned, imo, we need to string a few wins together.

well, well, well on 08:57 - Oct 20 with 383 viewsitfcjoe

well, well, well on 08:55 - Oct 20 by portmanking

Cambridge was one or two individual errors. We largely controlled that game. There HAS been consistency in our way of playing for the last 3-4 games. Individual errors have stunted that progress at times, but they are steadily becoming fewer and further between.

We played well for 40 minutes at Cambridge, then had a good spell of 20 minutes after half time - they totally dominated the last 25 or so and a goal was very well deserved. It was much more than a couple of errors

well, well, well on 08:57 - Oct 20 with 382 viewsHerbivore

well, well, well on 08:53 - Oct 20 by textbackup

silly really isnt it

Blubbers is on here all the time, win, lose or draw.

well, well, well on 09:01 - Oct 20 with 355 viewsBluefish

well, well, well on 08:53 - Oct 20 by textbackup

silly really isnt it

I'm always here

well, well, well on 09:01 - Oct 20 with 362 viewsportmanking

well, well, well on 08:57 - Oct 20 by itfcjoe

We played well for 40 minutes at Cambridge, then had a good spell of 20 minutes after half time - they totally dominated the last 25 or so and a goal was very well deserved. It was much more than a couple of errors

So we played well for an hour and lost our way a bit towards the end? I think you are unnecessarily harsh on the team and manager, but that's just me.
well, well, well on 09:10 - Oct 20 with 349 viewsblueysbackside

well, well, well on 08:44 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

What utter bo**ocks.
If you recall, I was calling for Cook to be given time after our poor start to the season.
But, you know, whatever.
In any case, I can't take you seriously.
Didn't you write somewhere else something along the lines of :
'You could pick a decent team of your mates that would beat Donny and Shrewsbury at home right now'
We must stop this 'we are superior' attitude.
well, well, well on 09:10 - Oct 20 with 348 viewsSwansea_Blue

Don't be daft. We've got a 100% record in the last game. That's got to be promotion form

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

well, well, well on 09:13 - Oct 20 with 333 viewsBluefish

well, well, well on 08:57 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Blubbers is on here all the time, win, lose or draw.

And I was under PRP as well even when he won or took us top or even when Gwion miscontrolled it and got an assist or a goal

well, well, well on 09:14 - Oct 20 with 337 viewsdirtyboy

Really pleased with last night and i'm a patient supporter, certainly not on Cook's back yet in the slightest, but do see a real need for some consistency.

Positives are that we do look like we have goals in us and we are much easier to watch and that is certainly helpful with keeping the support going.

Win at home Saturday and put in a performance against Plymouth that suggests we can compete with them and perhaps get a draw if not the win (under no illusions it'll be a difficult game) then I would suggest that's certainly our corner turned.

A win or draw for me would give us a bit of a free hit against Wycombe, but we then need to follow up with points from a difficult (on paper) Oxford, Sunderland and Rotherham.

Still, win those and we'll climb the table very quickly, but it's a huge ask for that kind of run, but it's possible.

There's no need for the tit for tat posters who chirp up when we win or lose with their predetermined agenda.....some pragmatism doesn't go amiss, bit of patience and some understanding...
well, well, well on 09:15 - Oct 20 with 334 viewsSwansea_Blue

A step in the right direction blueysarse, as step in the right direction. We're slowly starting to pull together some better results, which is great. Still a long way to go to start properly challenging, but as long as we keep improving that's great.

At the very least, it's going to be good entertainment this year. At the best and if it does consistently click, we should stand a good chance of going up next year if not this one.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024